EotM map feels like PvE w/ a little WvW

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

Don’t get me wrong, I am having a blast on this map and think it is beautiful. That said, when I returned to the map yesterday (first and second day were different) the map felt like a PvE experience. Let me explain.

My guild got together on the map and when gathered we started capping points and getting achievements in a small zerg. During the time we were on the map we encountered very few enemies. In fact, in the 3.5 hours we were on the map, I didn’t even get enough player kills for my daily and never died myself (killed 7/10).

This has never happened to me on the other WvW maps, usually I have my kills in 15-20 minutes. I don’t know if the map is just too big and players were spreading out or if there were few players actually playing the map. Anybody else have this experience?

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: cortin.9174

cortin.9174

Remember EOTM are instances, and there are several instances open at once. You could very well have been in an EOTM instance where your side greatly outnumber the others. Usually when I get into a lightly populated instance or one where I see the “outnumbered” buff, I exit and re-enter for a different EOTM instance.

Granted Anet should improve their queuing system so this doesn’t happen as often. But for now, just know that if you’re winning easily and don’t see many enemies, you could simply exit and switch to a different instance. The nature of EOTM currently is that you could be winning by a large margin in one, but switch to one where there are no keeps in your color.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Delvoire.8930

Delvoire.8930

This map is more of a PVE with some WvW map added in. It’s actually something that appeals to me greatly.

I love the fact that this map favors a 10-20 man group that can both take PvE points, kill champs, get loot and on top of that have some PvP thrown in.

The only thing that is missing is a nice TS to jump into. I know each server tends to have their own, but that doesn’t work well when you’re on a map that is mixed with 6 or 7 servers.

80 ~Thief~ Isabella Angel | 80 ~Eng~ Ratchet McClank
80 ~Warrior~ Delvoire | 80 ~Ele~ Azalea Avenir
80 ~ Guardian~ Rag Nor | Server ~ FA

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Mochann.5298

Mochann.5298

Seems to be people are still getting their feet wet in EOTM.

Unlike in the EBs and BLs where everyone knows the maps inside out and just get to the capping and fighting with no further fanfare, in EOTM I am still just walking around exploring and wondering at the details of the map. Often I’m not interested in fighting, sometimes I’m just looking around, even if there are enemies right in front of me.

Once I get more used to the map I will probably be able to start focusing on killing stuff again.

#ELEtism on Eredon Terrace

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

EotM and the old WvW maps are equally the same when it comes to PvE elements. All of them are pretty much PvE maps with PvP objectives thrown in to put players against each other.

Taking camps, towers, keeps, castles, and EotM special objectives are against NPC’s. You don’t take a tower by wiping out all of the players in it. You have to kill the veteran/champ NPC to get the circle to claim it. The only PvP element are the players against each other and a point to holding assets due to a scoreboard.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

I’m personally so far disappointed - no, that word is too weighty/ unimpressed fits it better – from the new Map.
I’m more really disappointed in a double sided way of view to be more precise, because it has also alot of good things, where I would say, that I’m disappointed, that these good mechanics aren’t used to improve the overall WvW experience in all other maps

The Map definetely needs in my honest opinion right now first more balancing and some little, but very effective changes.

• Move the Map in the Map Screen from the left spot over to the top right spot!
    Increase the Map Size by say 20%
    EotM is tiny compared to the Borderlands and even the Eternal battlegrounds are bigger than EotM.

Why is the tiny size of EotM bad?
Because you can basically run nowhere around without permanently running into an Enemy Zerg.
The bigger size of the other Maps allows it to roam around Solo, but thats basically impossible in EotM and there are some other mechanics in the map, which feel very annoying and disturbing, especially in regard of combat balance

• First off, the Champions are very overpowered.
    I don’t want to say that they should be soloable, surely NOT, but they also shouldn’t be able to basically nearly kill you with 2 hits and that with Toughness/Vitality Equipment!! So any Berserker there with very low Max Health will be basically direct downed
  • The Overgrowth Map has by far the most annoying enemies, those Grawls are just super overpowered.
    They can heal themself back to full health, they have too long lasting too big AoE projectile protections, and they spam way too oftenly a very annoying immobilize attack.

That together with that one Grawl Champion that performs some kind of quicksand attack that is very OP, cause it basically interrupts you every second, making it impossible for you to do anything beign basicalyl for any nearby foe an way too easy free kill.
This map just shows every player very quickly – If you have not basically perma Stability, you can end up here very quickly as a free kill and that not just due to the enemy skilly only, but also due to the tiny size of the map with its many spots where players couuld launch you into the free fall death.

The Map design feels more like a weird maze, than as like an epic battlefield..

The whole map design just supports basically only runnign around in a huge zerg, just to farm most effectively and quiickly the places in circles just to collect as quickly as possible lots of karma, badges of honor and W-Exp to rank up quickly.
While the last 2 points aren’t bad per se, the gameplay result and motivation are just wrong.

The design of the maps should motivate players more to run around in many smaller groups and not just only as 1 big zerg

At the Starting Area at the Airships there needs to ba a safety zone It should be simply said totally fool proof not to fall down anywhere there to your death.

The Mega Cannons need some kind of Zoom-Mechanic, most of the times you just shoot with them totally blind into the map without knowing if you even hit something, if not Damage Numbers would plop up a few seconds later shwong you that you hit something, but even then you don’t know, what you’ve hit and how much health is left over…
If you hit something, the player needs to get the information, what has been hit and how much health is left …or give the cannons a Zoom-Mechanic, so that we can aim better at places that are far away, so that we don’t shoot permanently total blind into the mists

We definetely need Language Filters for Map Chat or Language Chat Command to activate an option so that only people that use the same chat codes actively will be able to read, what you type into the chat..
Currently the Map Chat in EU Server EotM is total chaos, everbody types what he wants and nobody understands something, mixed up totally from French, English , German, Spanish, Italian and what not else also more…
This Game Mode definetely hasn’t been well though out around the point, that the EU is one of the continents, that has by far the biggest amount of different languages all togehter and that from this can’t come out as a result a good communication synergy between players, because not everyone understands English and not everyone wants to use English.

You can’t play on this Map, when your allies are playing totally unorganized due to all of the language barrier issues all over the map.

So I absolutely think, this Map needs more finetuning. NPCs are too strong and disturbing in Overgrowth, map is too small, way too much CC stuff everywhere that forces players to have basicalyl always Stability if you don#t want to end up too easily as a free kill, weird Map design.

That are the points I hope Anet will work on. My 2 cents as a first impression that I’ve got from EotM.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Colly.4073

Colly.4073

Welcome to “Lets Frantically add something to this game in a desperate attempt to stop it failing”

But it failed.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Delvoire.8930

Delvoire.8930

Welcome to “Lets Frantically add something to this game in a desperate attempt to stop it failing”

But it failed.

As evident by so many people playing it…..?

80 ~Thief~ Isabella Angel | 80 ~Eng~ Ratchet McClank
80 ~Warrior~ Delvoire | 80 ~Ele~ Azalea Avenir
80 ~ Guardian~ Rag Nor | Server ~ FA

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

But it failed.

It’s funny that you still play it despite the fact that it’s failing. :P

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

It’s a beautifull made map, lots of passion went in there. But it’s just not a WvW map, I feel exactly like the OP. PVE with a tad WvW in it. I do hope I never have to go there again for the ls.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Singer.8740

Singer.8740

SNIP

my god you managed to turn 4 points into a kitten novel.

1. the map is very large. Unlike the main maps this map is multi tiered. there are islands floating above and below others all connected with bridges and it is quite possible to get lost or disorientated first time through due to the size and intricacy of the map.

2. the NPC’s are not over powered at all. Those grawl use this;

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Defiant_Stance

You just need to learn to play and read the mobs mechanics instead of mashing away. The champions in this map are designed to be fought in groups and require a modicum of skill. incidentally if your worried about falling then do not be an idiot and get bated by a roaming mesmer/engie into walking near an edge.

3. I could see a zoom function on the cannons being exploited. Trial and error is simply the best way to learn the distances. P.S. you can put a sentry turret in the area you want to aim at. near a gate for example then aim for the orange dots on your mini map.

4. Lastly and most ridiculous. Please explain how this map encourages blobbing when.

A> objectives award points on cap (40 for a tower for example +15 for the first tick), thus benefiting lots of smaller groups that can cap multiple objectives at once over one big blob that can only cap one objective at a time. For example if a blob of 80 caps a tower they get 55 points for there score. Where at the same time say 4 groups of 10 cap for example one tower and a 3 generators net around 175 points for there score.

B> the map is riddled with small walkways and alternate paths that make covertly traversing the map far quicker and safer (some of those bridges are really thin and windy) for smaller groups than big blobs.

C> My favourite pass-time. blowing up bridges as the big blob runs over it.

4. The one thing i agree with you on. They need to introduce Language channel chat options.

Finally my own opinion on this topic is that yes there is allot of mechanics in this new map and the NPC’s are far more complicated but i believe this makes the map more engaging and keeps players engaged in playing instead of the blob mentality of, Run to point B from point A steam roll objective. Run to point C from B repeat. run from point C to A . repeat. A,B, repeat, B,C repeat, repeat repeat repeat,re….. you get the idea. EOTM is a beautiful map and is for more interesting and engaging to play on than the standard maps. You are also going to have to face the facts that NPC’s and there events are part of the WVW game mode. If you want pure stream lined Player Vs Player action then i think you should go do some sPvP instead as the fact remains that this aspect of WVW will never change. Its part of the game mode and always will be.

Etheeria (The mad bomber). If you don’t have shellshock your not doing it right.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: jebro.6370

jebro.6370

In my opinion as a guy who used to frequent WvW and now mainly focuses on SPVP and casting I LOVE the EOTM map!

Smal scale fighting is just awesome here, anti zer fights are a lot easier aswell with small corridors to fight in and new mechanics such as NPCs repairing gates etc which is just great!

I applaud the devs of this map, it brings back the fight for me which is what WvW imho should be about!

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

I’m personally so far disappointed - no, that word is too weighty/ unimpressed fits it better – from the new Map.
… “Cut out” …ways Stability if you don#t want to end up too easily as a free kill, weird Map design.

That are the points I hope Anet will work on. My 2 cents as a first impression that I’ve got from EotM.

^ This!!! So much this!!! ^
(Had to cut out alot of the text to be able to write myself but Orpheal’s whole post is true imo)

Everything is so true accept for the Mega cannon becouse I havent tried it but I see Orpheal’s point since I have seen how the cannon works on a ‘Preview’ stream.

EotM has so much potential to be something more and I was looking so much forward to play on it… But in the end it was just another Zerg worse than in the other WvW where people don’t even listen to eachother becouse of language barriers

Also I wan’t to add… Dunno how to fix it though but I have got the feeling that since there is no realy special reward for winning people does not care to defend… The majority of people seems to be just running around capturing to farm Karma, Empyreal Star’s and stuff.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

SNIP

my god you managed to turn 4 points into a kitten novel.

1. the map is very large. Unlike the main maps this map is multi tiered. there are islands floating above and below others all connected with bridges and it is quite possible to get lost or disorientated first time through due to the size and intricacy of the map.

2. the NPC’s are not over powered at all. Those grawl use this;

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Defiant_Stance

You just need to learn to play and read the mobs mechanics instead of mashing away. The champions in this map are designed to be fought in groups and require a modicum of skill. incidentally if your worried about falling then do not be an idiot and get bated by a roaming mesmer/engie into walking near an edge.

3. I could see a zoom function on the cannons being exploited. Trial and error is simply the best way to learn the distances. P.S. you can put a sentry turret in the area you want to aim at. near a gate for example then aim for the orange dots on your mini map.

4. Lastly and most ridiculous. Please explain how this map encourages blobbing when.

A> objectives award points on cap (40 for a tower for example +15 for the first tick), thus benefiting lots of smaller groups that can cap multiple objectives at once over one big blob that can only cap one objective at a time. For example if a blob of 80 caps a tower they get 55 points for there score. Where at the same time say 4 groups of 10 cap for example one tower and a 3 generators net around 175 points for there score.

B> the map is riddled with small walkways and alternate paths that make covertly traversing the map far quicker and safer (some of those bridges are really thin and windy) for smaller groups than big blobs.

C> My favourite pass-time. blowing up bridges as the big blob runs over it.

4. The one thing i agree with you on. They need to introduce Language channel chat options.

Finally my own opinion on this topic is that yes there is allot of mechanics in this new map and the NPC’s are far more complicated but i believe this makes the map more engaging and keeps players engaged in playing instead of the blob mentality of, Run to point B from point A steam roll objective. Run to point C from B repeat. run from point C to A . repeat. A,B, repeat, B,C repeat, repeat repeat repeat,re….. you get the idea. EOTM is a beautiful map and is for more interesting and engaging to play on than the standard maps. You are also going to have to face the facts that NPC’s and there events are part of the WVW game mode. If you want pure stream lined Player Vs Player action then i think you should go do some sPvP instead as the fact remains that this aspect of WVW will never change. Its part of the game mode and always will be.

Good points actually.

But my answer too 4.
A: Score? What for? Who cares? Not the blob atleast!
B: Blob is rarely using the bridges that can be blown so GL blowing a bridge up while blob is heading to your main keep while typing on chat ‘Badlands Blob on the move to Overgrown Fane’ (Atleast where I where nor I or anyone else thought of putting up catas or trebs to take down Badlands – Overgrown bridge) Few minutes after that The blob is inside bashing away on the elementals and just a few players are there defending and after I am dead I have a look where our other players are … Well they are down capturing stuff in Badlands. It all works just like a merry go round.

Well that is the impression I have got of EotM playing for a full day… (I am just around r30 combining all my chars ranks >.< So I don’t have much WvW experience.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]