Heirloom merchant back for a day or two

in Battle for Lion’s Arch - Aftermath

Posted by: Tseikk.9032

Tseikk.9032

Please, it would hurt no one.

I speak for myself, not for my server or my guild.
Solo roamer, all classes.

Posted by: Zone.1275

Zone.1275

No, they gave a warning beforehand that they would be removed with this update.

Tseikk.9032

Why couldn’t they bring it back? Would it hurt you or someone else?

Posted by: Lindbur.2537

Lindbur.2537

Although I agree that people should check the forums more often for news, I don’t see why adding the vendor back would hurt anyone.

A remnant of times past.
“Memories are nice, but that’s all they are.”

Zone.1275

It’s not that it hurts anyone. It’s that it’s dumb to put effort in this because someone wasn’t paying attention. Next time try to be more vigilant.

Tseikk.9032

There wouldn’t be much effort required since it already was in game, it would only make some people happy.

Lindbur.2537

Principle is one thing, irking your customers is another. Just put the merchants back in and these guys will shut up.

A remnant of times past.

Posted by: Calys Teneb.7015

Calys Teneb.7015

They only placed the chests back in the last update because they had left the impression that Scarlet’s Lair was going to remain in the state that it was during Marionette, chests and all. Also, since Escape had been pushed back, players had had a chance to farm the event directly before the patch. ArenaNet put the chests back because they recognized that they hadn’t been clear that they were to be removed even through the Lair would remain.

In this case they were very clear that the vendors would be gone.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Sorry for your luck but if you have been playing GW2 for even just a few months you should know to check in before the end of a living story event to see what happens to event items. The information was out there and it has been for a week or so.

They should not bring back the vendors because it will reinforce bad habits for those that don’t take a minute to follow the changes. What happens if they bring them back for a few days? Then they go away again and a new group of people show up asking to have them brought back again. If you don’t follow what is happening with the living story world then those items must not mean much to you anyway.

The Burninator

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I agree. They should bring the merchants back briefly for those that missed out. Next time, they should announce it much sooner than they did.

Tseikk.9032

so i saved 1900 belongings. and you just REMOVED the merchants? why?

The event is over, they announced the merchants would be removed multiple times over the past 10 days or so, not their fault you didn’t spend your belongings.

“Announced”

Oh, you mean the topic on their announcement section on the forums? Or do you mean one of the many obscured / buried posts? And not, you know, as dialogue from the merchants, as an in-game mail, as an announcement on the launcher’s page. Oh right, silly people don’t realize in order to know about what’s happening in-game, they have to leave the in-game world to browse the forums.

“Excuse me Mr. Ice Cream man, what flavors do you have?”
“Well if you go to our website and check under the menu section…”

Some people are busy playing the game and deserve to have the information conveyed to them in-game. Wouldn’t be hard for an in-game mail to be sent saying “Ohey, these merchants are nearly done collecting belongings.” People on the forums make up a very, very small part of the playerbase.

Zone.1275

Principle is one thing, irking your customers is another. Just put the merchants back in and these guys will shut up.

But they won’t learn anything. If they make a habit of bending backwards for unnecessary reasons like this then the players would just walk all over them.

Tseikk.9032

Please read what i quoted

Zone.1275

I did, that’s a terrible analogy since to play guild wars 2 you already have a computer and internet connection available.

A better analogy would be an ice cream shop telling you to look at the menu on the table.

(edited by Zone.1275)

Lindbur.2537

If the problem is that people won’t learn a certain way, the solution is not to force them to learn through that particular way, but to teach through an alternative.

Use in-game notifications.

A remnant of times past.

JustTrogdor.7892

Please read what i quoted

I read it and I’m sorry for your luck but if you don’t know at this point in the game to read up on things before the end of the living story event that is your problem. We are talking about a game where things change rapidly and events come and go. When you are holding onto a lot of event items then perhaps you should take a few minutes to look into what might happen to them before the end of the event. Part of keeping up with the living story is looking at news related to the story. This is nothing new.

Why are you holding onto event items so long anyway instead of spending them? What did you expect to happen?

The Burninator

Tseikk.9032

I still don’t get why the merchants couldn’t be added back. It would reinforce players “bad habits”? By bad habits you mean not looking at the dev posts like a hawk to see if some of your stuff is going to be deleted. Maybe next time it could be announced IN GAME with a mail or something, or like with glory in the launcher. They wouldn’t have to add any more merchants back then.

Oh, and why is sonder the seller trading stuff like candy corn?
@justTrogdor I was waiting to buy leveling tomes with them. I did not buy them yet, because i wasn’t sure if i will spend real money to buy a character slot or not. I bought that character slot just to see the merchant isn’t there anymore. Naturally i went to check if sonder the seller would still trade them, just like the other living story stuff :/

(edited by Tseikk.9032)

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

Well it was posted in the News and Announcements section plenty of days ahead…..

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/news/Update-Alliance-Supplies-Found-Items/first#post3750166

If you frequent the forums and it looks like you do, you might want to consider checking there before an event ends as a just in case or at least post asking about something you have been collecting prior to the event end. This has happened before and will happen again so no one should be surprised. Others have posted asking just that question and were referred to the above info.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Every good teacher knows that to use a teaching method that isn’t working for the target audience is insanity. This is why we have brains – to come up with alternative methods that will work.

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

Because you can still get candy corn and it is tradeable?

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Zone.1275

I still don’t get why the merchants couldn’t be added back. It would reinforce players “bad habits”? By bad habits you mean not looking at the dev posts like a hawk to see if some of your stuff is going to be deleted. Maybe next time it could be announced IN GAME with a mail or something, or like with glory in the launcher. They wouldn’t have to add any more merchants back then.

Yes in game would be the best choice but they didn’t and you can’t really change that since it’s come and gone.

Candy corn is a reoccurring collectible, unlike heirlooms and lost belongings which where only available for this living story arc.

Tseikk.9032

Every good teacher knows that to use a teaching method that isn’t working for the target audience is insanity. This is why we have brains – to come up with alternative methods that will work.

Sending everyone a mail in game would be 10000x more efficient than posting to forums

Lindbur.2537

Precisely. The fact that this thread and the others exist is sufficient evidence to prove that the notifications were not far-reaching enough. It’s not just a matter of time, it’s also about exposure. Very few people use the forums relative to the size of the entire player base, and relying on word of mouth is a bad idea since it’s unpredictable.

A remnant of times past.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

So they should send out an obtrusive out of character mail ingame, or worse come up with some lore designed mail, each time they want to convey information, or else patch the game, when they can just announce it here. It’s not like Dev messages are obscure. It’s REAL easy to figure out which ones they are, cause it’s all splattered with red.

No, if someone won’t learn a certain way, then they don’t need to learn and they DO need to miss out. Too bad for them.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Tseikk.9032

Why are fortune scraps still tradable with sonder the seller? explain that.

JustTrogdor.7892

@justTrogdor I was waiting to buy leveling tomes with them. I did not buy them yet, because i wasn’t sure if i will spend real money to buy a character slot or not.

So what were you going to do with them if you decided not to spend them on tomes?

The Burninator

Kal Spiro.9745

Because they provide skins. Better answer, because ANet said so, and for this they said No.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist

Tseikk.9032

@justTrogdor I was waiting to buy leveling tomes with them. I did not buy them yet, because i wasn’t sure if i will spend real money to buy a character slot or not.

So what were you going to do with them if you decided not to spend them on tomes?

naturally buy some of the other stuff available, such as obsidian shards

JustTrogdor.7892

So it took you until patch day to decide?

The Burninator

Tseikk.9032

Because they provide skins. Better answer, because ANet said so, and for this they said No.

bad reason. The skins you can get with those can also be bought from the tp, but also with the account bound non tradable fortune scraps. There is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON they couldn’t add a function to trade heirlooms and belongings with sonder if you already can do it with fortune scraps.

Tseikk.9032

It took me until the patch day to get the money (i’m 15.) and yes. i decided to spend my money on gw2 instead of something else.

Lindbur.2537

So they should send out an obtrusive out of character mail ingame, or worse come up with some lore designed mail, each time they want to convey information, or else patch the game, when they can just announce it here. It’s not like Dev messages are obscure. It’s REAL easy to figure out which ones they are, cause it’s all splattered with red.

No, if someone won’t learn a certain way, then they don’t need to learn and they DO need to miss out. Too bad for them.

Good thing you’re not a teacher, you’d get fired in a second.

A remnant of times past.

Kal Spiro.9745

None of those things were available with Heirlooms.

Kal Spiro.9745

Good thing ANet isn’t a school so they don’t have to worry about nonsense like that.

JustTrogdor.7892

It took me until the patch day to get the money (i’m 15.) and yes. i decided to spend my money on gw2 instead of something else.

Well I guess timing was bad for you then and sorry for your luck. Since it took you until patch day to earn the money to get a character expansion it would not have mattered if you knew about not being able to cash in heirlooms in advance anyway would it? You’re 15, life isn’t fair at times. You will get used to it about the age of 35 or so, trust me.

The Burninator

Lindbur.2537

Good thing ANet isn’t a school so they don’t have to worry about nonsense like that.

And fortunately you’re not an ANet employee either, I’d take great pleasure in instigating an uproar if you were.

A remnant of times past.

Tseikk.9032

You could buy alliance supply bags with heirlooms, those award belongings which you could have used to get for example obsidian shards.

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

you got warned and informed not once or twice, you were informed and warned a lot
yet still you didn’t do it.

The item has a rare status now because of it’s limited availability, if all of a sudden it became available again the other players that did put in the time needed to acquire this item would also feel alienated as if their effort is being nullified.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

I would just like to state that the removal of things from the game should always be announced at least a week in advance on the GW2 launcher.

Personally, I check the forums all the time because I know how bad ArenaNet is with announcements, but you can’t fault new players for not knowing that yet.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Kal Spiro.9745

You could buy alliance supply bags with heirlooms, those award belongings which you could have used to get for example obsidian shards.

True, but this thread is about Heirlooms, and if everything you wanted was from belongings you would have already spent your Heirlooms on bags. Just like I did.

Kal Spiro.9745

I would just like to state that the removal of things from the game should always be announced at least a week in advance on the GW2 launcher.

Personally, I check the forums all the time because I know how bad ArenaNet is with announcements, but you can’t fault new players for not knowing that yet.

I don’t fault new players for not knowing that. I just don’t think ANet should have to fix it for them just because they don’t.

Posted by: Rengaru.4730

Rengaru.4730

HMM? WHAT ABOUT THE FORTUNE SCRAPS THEN
edit: ACCOUNT BOUND, CANT BE GOTTEN ANYMORE FROM ANYWHERE.

Except, you can still get them.

Tseikk.9032

True, but this thread is about Heirlooms, and if everything you wanted was from belongings you would have already spent your Heirlooms on bags. Just like I did.

I meant belonging merchant. My bad, idk if i’m able to edit a threads name

Lindbur.2537

you got warned and informed not once or twice, you were informed and warned a lot
yet still you didn’t do it.

The item has a rare status now because of it’s limited availability, if all of a sudden it became available again the other players that did put in the time needed to acquire this item would also feel alienated as if their effort is being nullified.

Except:
1. Not everyone read the announcement because of its limited exposure
2. This isn’t a rare item, though I get where you’re coming from

I’m just gonna go away before I earn myself another point. >_>

A remnant of times past.

JustTrogdor.7892

Anyone familiar with the living story knows that it is a good idea to do a search about event items before the event ends. This isn’t something new. For those that don’t, consider it a learning experience. Yes it is kind of odd that part of play is looking at websites for more information but it has been like that for well as long as I have been playing GW2.

Event is about to end > Go to GW2 website/forum > see what happens to event items so I don’t end up with bank slots full of junk.

The Burninator

mtpelion.4562

I don’t fault new players for not knowing that. I just don’t think ANet should have to fix it for them just because they don’t.

My point is that in the same amount of time it took them to post it on the forums, they could have posted it on the news feed in the GW2 launcher and would have ensured that every one of their players had the news delivered to them (even if the players chose to ignore it, they couldn’t argue that they weren’t told).

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Money for what? Gems? What does that have to do with your problem of not being able to trade Heirlooms?

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Zone.1275

My point is that in the same amount of time it took them to post it on the forums, they could have posted it on the news feed in the GW2 launcher and would have ensured that every one of their players had the news delivered to them (even if the players chose to ignore it, they couldn’t argue that they weren’t told).

Attachments:

mtpelion.4562

Money for what? Gems? What does that have to do with your problem of not being able to trade Heirlooms?

He wanted to get the level up item, but didn’t want to if he couldn’t get the money to buy another character slot. He got the money for the character slot and now knows that he wants the level up item that is no longer available.

Kal Spiro.9745

The news feed on the launcher is the same as the news feed on the main site, which is the same as the news that is RSSed. This is not the sort of information they should be putting there. Sorry that it’s so important to a handful of people, but it’s not actually news.