SPOILER: Jokes in bad taste.

in Battle for Lion’s Arch - Aftermath

Posted by: CoffeeMakesMeSmile.8172

CoffeeMakesMeSmile.8172

I get that Scarlet was the villain, but I felt horrible listening to Marjory and the others joke about her death.

Previous LS updates established that she’s been driven crazy by some external force that she encountered in the Eternal Alchemy and could no longer mentally fight it. We should pity her or mourn for those she’s killed, not make childish jokes about what it felt like to deliver the death blow.

Not to be rude here, but I’m genuinely curious – do dialogue ideas get checked before they are added? If so, did no one suggest that joking about killing a mentally unstable character might be in poor taste?

Posted by: Darkobra.6439

Darkobra.6439

Probably because they’d realise someone somewhere gets offended over something so they stuck with their own vision.

Posted by: oshilator.4681

oshilator.4681

Repeat after me… ’It’s just a game & she’s a fictional character’.

Headdesk

Posted by: Elleven.6541

Elleven.6541

Except fiction can also be a reflection of the society we are living in.
And it is a sad world we live in

We are constantly reminded about Kas and Jory homosexual relationship.
People celebrated their representation because as society we become more open and accepted toward other sexual orientation.

Yet the irony is where we celebration one social group rise up while stepping on others

Imagine Scarlet has a female lover and upon killing them we are forced to make a joke about their death.
just imagine the uproar we would see on the forum

Scarlet was responsible for the destruction and deaths. While her action certain makes her death more justifiable in this fictional world, she does not deserve to be dehumanize (desylvarized).

It would’ve been better if the 3 answers we can choose simply reflect the 3 personalities (honour, charm, agression)

Posted by: NoxInfernus.2361

NoxInfernus.2361

I typically let posts like these slide, but in this case I need to write something.

I’m sure that when RL tyrants, mass murders, violent anarchists, and vicious sadists are finally given their ‘just reward’, many of the victims of these individuals celebrate the tormentors demise in ways that are far less sedate than a (very) few jokes told in a bar.
don’t believe me? Do a quick history search.

In fact, it would have been out of place if the ‘scooby squad’ didn’t blow off some steam with a few comments concerning Scarlet’s demise.

I for one do not pity the character of Scarlet. She knew that her plans would involve the deaths of many, many Tyrians. It does not matter that she may have been driven to it. In the end she sought out death, and that is what she got.
See you in Torment, Scarlet.

Posted by: Drakma.1549

Drakma.1549

Just because you choose to correlate fiction with non-fiction does not mean others do.

You appear to be unable/unwilling to separate the two.

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

I don’t pity Scarlet.

But when Marjory asked me how I felt, I planned on delivering the most sober answer. Unfortunately ANet didn’t seem to think our character had some kind of respect for the dead and gave us 3 cheesy choices.

And what is worse with this ending, is that it’s not an ending. Yeah sure, we killed Scarlet. So what ? Lion’s Arch is completely destroyed, hundreds are dead/missing, we have no information on what her armies will become and most importantly she achieved her goal of waking up a dragon.

In the end, everything we did for a year resulted in us failing to stop her from killing an entire city and waking up yet another dragon.
Yeah, I wasn’t really into a celebratory mood.

Posted by: kitsuneshoujo.5734

kitsuneshoujo.5734

If I had any doubt before that people will kitten about anything, I don’t anymore.

Instead of bemoaning the death of a mass-murderer and some peoples stress-relieving comments, why don’t you put it your energy to good use? Complain about how the dead go so little attention at the graveyard. All they got was a little blurb on a piece of scavenged wood. There was way more people that died in the attack and occupation than the few who got mentioned.

People need to stop being such bleeding hearts. I have respect for the dead in truck loads, I do not have respect for dead murderers and psychopaths.

Posted by: Barabbas.8715

Barabbas.8715

This is how most people react in real life when “villains” die. Remember the reaction when a certain individual who’s name starts with an O was killed (allegedly)?

Personally, feel don’t pity for Scarlet but I also don’t want to jump up and cheer that she’s dead either. She was a threat that had to be removed and she was. End of story, no primitive emotional reaction needed.

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

I don’t even see Scarlet as a person. :/ Yes, I’m racist against non-humans ingame.

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I liked the ending scene well enough but the choices regarding Scarlet were unsatisfying. After reading her diary, I wouldn’t say I was exactly sympathetic about her death, but I wasn’t in a partying mood, either. The bar scene acts like an amoral person died with no other losses to worry about.

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

I typically let posts like these slide, but in this case I need to write something.

I’m sure that when RL tyrants, mass murders, violent anarchists, and vicious sadists are finally given their ‘just reward’, many of the victims of these individuals celebrate the tormentors demise in ways that are far less sedate than a (very) few jokes told in a bar.

In fact, it would have been out of place if the ‘scooby squad’ didn’t blow off some steam with a few comments concerning Scarlet’s demise.

I for one do not pity the character of Scarlet. She knew that her plans would involve the deaths of many, many Tyrians. It does not matter that she may have been driven to it. In the end she sought out death, and that is what she got.

I personally didn’t care about the line in the bar (I was waiting for something interesting to happen so I glossed over it) and I won’t get into specifics about real world “villains” but I’ve seen celebrations and jokes about the deaths of certain “villains” less sympathetic than Ceara and I’ve found it to be distasteful. I know it happens, but I don’t usually find it to be tasteful (certainly not for the “heroes” of a story).

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

This about sums up my thoughts.

Posted by: Sergoros.4398

Sergoros.4398

Lesser people joke about death of tyrants. I never counted myself as one of such….its just disgusting.

And above all this….I liked Scarlet. I still believe, that her actions somehow given Tyria a chance to survive. I hated to stomp her, but it has been inevitable. This scene in the bar…. I understand, that you have to appeal to all little humans, who hated scarlet…. But why no choice for a people with a heart?

Posted by: Rabbi Rick.3194

Rabbi Rick.3194

Having dealt with tragedy and death for years in one of my lines of work, some words from my other line of work seems always appropriate in these situations:

“And if I laugh at any mortal thing, ’Tis that I may not weep” – Don Juan
Canto IV – Byron

Just my two coppers worth,

Rabbi Rick
Proud member of the Ring of 1000

Posted by: Nunna.6413

Nunna.6413

i keep saying to my friends that our heroes act like a bunch of bullies all the time.

Posted by: NoxInfernus.2361

NoxInfernus.2361

Lesser people joke about death of tyrants. I never counted myself as one of such….its just disgusting.

And above all this….I liked Scarlet. I still believe, that her actions somehow given Tyria a chance to survive. I hated to stomp her, but it has been inevitable. This scene in the bar…. I understand, that you have to appeal to all little humans, who hated scarlet…. But why no choice for a people with a heart?

Uh huh?
Must be lonely to be so morally superior?
Well, When you’re ready to climb off your high horse and see it from the point of view of Marjory and the other NPC’s, You’ll see that a few jokes was not that bad at all.
Seriously, I’d rather be a “lesser person” with “no heart” who saves (fictional) people and laugh about it later, than take on a ‘Hug-a-Thug’ attitude that you are describing.

Sergoros.4398

Uh huh?
Must be lonely to be so morally superior?
Well, When you’re ready to climb off your high horse and see it from the point of view of Marjory and the other NPC’s, You’ll see that a few jokes was not that bad at all.
Seriously, I’d rather be a “lesser person” with “no heart” who saves (fictional) people and laugh about it later, than take on a ‘Hug-a-Thug’ attitude that you are describing.

Yeah. Lonely, sometimes. Though, I have made enough friends who share my views to make it bearable.

Hug-a-Thug….why should you think in extremes? You either hate or love huh? Can’t u…like… feel good, that its over, but still remain human? I guess it would be to hard.

Posted by: Overkillengine.6084

Overkillengine.6084

I view it as putting down a mad dog. You just do what is necessary then go on about your day, because celebrating like that just lessens yourself and makes you one step closer to them.

Posted by: Beef Supreme.9803

Beef Supreme.9803

Lol, offended by a video game.

I long for the days when computers were too complicated
For most people to figure out.

Sergoros.4398

Lol, offended by a video game.

I long for the days when computers were too complicated
For most people to figure out.

Our taste is offended by video game. So what? You would go to some high class restaurant and order some expensive steak…. And then, instead of good food, they would bring you some burger. Yes. Its normal to feel offended, when u play high class game and then they feed you some 6-th grade story.

I even was able to deal with such low level of story, because they learning how to do it good and stuff…baby steps…

But! This time they made My hero into lowlife. He joked about stomping scarlet. Its just disgusting…

(edited by Sergoros.4398)

Posted by: fnordette.4139

fnordette.4139

i keep saying to my friends that our heroes act like a bunch of bullies all the time.

I know, right? We run through, slaughtering people nonstop, never accepting surrender. What really gets me is when bandits or pirates say “Now I’ll never…” when they die. How many of those people were just trying to make ends meet in a troubled time! Not to mention the continuous and needless culling of non-violent animals in the wild. Or hopping into an ogre farm and killing all of them for some grapes. Joking about stabbing someone in the chest (which seems like a weird way to kill plant people) is hardly the worst thing we’ve done.

Sergoros.4398

I know, right? We run through, slaughtering people nonstop, never accepting surrender. What really gets me is when bandits or pirates say “Now I’ll never…” when they die. How many of those people were just trying to make ends meet in a troubled time! Not to mention the continuous and needless culling of non-violent animals in the wild. Or hopping into an ogre farm and killing all of them for some grapes. Joking about stabbing someone in the chest (which seems like a weird way to kill plant people) is hardly the worst thing we’ve done.

So….following your post….we, might as well, now go and kill all people in refuge camp, because we are, obviously, mad psychos, even worse, than Scarlet.

There is a line between story and gameplay. Its obvious, that we have to kill/farm to get anything in this game. But it doesnt mean, that we should abandon our moral standards.

Posted by: fnordette.4139

fnordette.4139

So….following your post….we, might as well, now go and kill all people in refuge camp, because we are, obviously, mad psychos, even worse, than Scarlet.

There is a line between story and gameplay. Its obvious, that we have to kill/farm to get anything in this game. But it doesnt mean, that we should abandon our moral standards.

Do they give good loot? Because then maybe we should.

Leo Paul.1659

Good thing I don’t get immersed enough in video games that I confuse my real world morals with theirs.

Sergoros.4398

Good thing I don’t get immersed enough in video games that I confuse my real world morals with theirs.

But you immersed enough to go to the forums and talk about how not immersed are you. You know, some people might even think, that you care. Silly people.

Posted by: Zeivu.3615

Zeivu.3615

While not all mentally ill/‘unstable’ are not violent, Scarlet was. She was plotting horrible things at innocent sentinels’ expense. If you cannot find humor in it, the murders and horror will undo you.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Regardless of her mental state she killed and ruined lives and caused massive amounts of property damage. People like that are hated regardless of their reason why.

Just like IRL being a psychopath is a mental disorder that can cause countless murders and attract tons of hate that will be well relieved when they’re finally put down. It’s hard to pity someone who kills your friends and family and is incapable of feeling bad about it.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Sergoros.4398

Regardless of her mental state she killed and ruined lives and caused massive amounts of property damage. People like that are hated regardless of their reason why.

Just like IRL being a psychopath is a mental disorder that can cause countless murders and attract tons of hate that will be well relieved when they’re finally put down. It’s hard to pity someone who kills your friends and family and is incapable of feeling bad about it.

So….mad scarlet killed your friends and family…u finally avenged them…killed the murderer….And what you do next? Obviously! Go to the bar and joke how 2 lesbian girls kiss each other. Seems legit.

Even in your view it doesnt play out right.

Though. I want to see My hero above such jokes.

Leo Paul.1659

But you immersed enough to go to the forums and talk about how not immersed are you. You know, some people might even think, that you care. Silly people.

Of course I care about the game. I wouldn’t be playing it otherwise… Just not enough to misconstrue a joke with realism.

Doggie.3184

So….mad scarlet killed your friends and family…u finally avenged them…killed the murderer….And what you do next? Obviously! Go to the bar and joke how 2 lesbian girls kiss each other. Seems legit.

Uh, actually yes. Just like the Military, even. Not sure why you threw the lesbian part in there though when it’s about Scarlet and I never mentioned them. o.O

(edited by Doggie.3184)

Sergoros.4398

Of course I care about the game. I wouldn’t be playing it otherwise… Just not enough to misconstrue a joke with realism.

So…would it be fine, if game, u care about, would transform into puke jokes and story for a 10 year old kids?

Sergoros.4398

Uh, actually yes. Just like the Military, even. Not sure why you threw the lesbian part in there though when it’s about Scarlet and I never mentioned them. o.O

One of the 3 jokes was
-How did it feel to stomp scarlet?
-Not as sweet as your kiss there.

No matter how you look at it. U can’t avoid the problem.

Such behavior might fit some norn or char….mby even asura. But…my sylvari? Srsly? Suddenly, my sylvari transformed into cruel brute? Wow. Just wow. Mby I should check my roots. Guess, Ill soon find poison and thorns there.

Posted by: Steel Fenrir.2791

Steel Fenrir.2791

LIEUTENANT <insert your character names here>! Just follow orders. You got that? Gooooooood.

Wish I had the option to side with Scarlet sheesh. Just to balance things out.

Leo Paul.1659

So…would it be fine, if game, u care about, would transform into puke jokes and story for a 10 year old kids?

It hasn’t so far. I’ll keep you posted about how I’d feel about it if it happens.

Doggie.3184

One of the 3 jokes was

Such behavior might fit some norn or char….mby even asura. But…my sylvari? Srsly? Suddenly, my sylvari transformed into cruel brute? Wow. Just wow. Mby I should check my roots. Guess, Ill soon find poison and thorns there.

IDK dude, sounds appropriate, realistic and normal to me. Especially for a Sylvari because of their strange light outlook on death.

Sergoros.4398

It hasn’t so far. I’ll keep you posted about how I’d feel about it if it happens.

See? So its all about your moral standards. Guess, they just wasnt as high as mine. A little lower and even u would be hurt. Looks like you immersed much enough. Just dont accept it untill it hurts ya.

Sergoros.4398

One of the 3 jokes was

IDK dude, sounds appropriate, realistic and normal to me. Especially for a Sylvari because of their strange light outlook on death.

Just so u know, such behavior is fit only for nightmare court. Yeah. Killing someone and then joking around how fun it was to kill this person is sure a lot like nightmare courtier would talk.

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

Definitely there’s a real life precedent to this. The most recent and relevant example which I can think of was the raid on Osama Bin Laden’s compound and American celebrations about that, so it definitely makes sense for characters in-game to be celebrating her death. It would still be nice to be able to express disapproval of this in-game, and I think that’s one of the flaws of the Living Story that your character doesn’t really have any expressive quality about them in it. Hopefully we’ll see it in the next LS, but probably not.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Doggie.3184

One of the 3 jokes was

Just so u know, such behavior is fit only for nightmare court. Yeah. Killing someone and then joking around how fun it was to kill this person is sure a lot like nightmare courtier would talk.

Or a bunch of relieved people who’re glad that one of the most dangerous and destructive people was finally stopped and blowing off some steam. It’s a natural way people cope with tragedy.

Posted by: kta.6502

kta.6502

I get that Scarlet was the villain, but I felt horrible listening to Marjory and the others joke about her death.

Previous LS updates established that she’s been driven crazy by some external force that she encountered in the Eternal Alchemy and could no longer mentally fight it. We should pity her or mourn for those she’s killed, not make childish jokes about what it felt like to deliver the death blow.

Not to be rude here, but I’m genuinely curious – do dialogue ideas get checked before they are added? If so, did no one suggest that joking about killing a mentally unstable character might be in poor taste?

Keep in mind that those characters live in the 1300s Tyria, so they’re not educated when it comes to mental illness. We players, on the other hand, live on 21st century Earth where folks are slowly becoming more informed about mental health and people who manage mental disabilities.

I’m satisfied with the choices Anet gave us for this scenario. At least my noble Sylvari character deflected the NPCs’ comments by telling Majory that killing Scarlet wasn’t as good as getting a kiss from her. I love that comment!

To Anet: Thank you for giving us a chance to flirt with Majory! You’ve made my day!

(edited by kta.6502)

Doggie.3184

Keep in mind that those characters live in the 1300s Tyria, so they’re not educated when it comes to mental illness. We players, on the other hand, live on 21st century Earth where folks are slowly becoming more informed about mental health and people who manage mental disabilities.

I’m satisfied with the choices Anet gave us for this scenario. At least my noble Sylvari character deflected the NPCs’ comments by telling Majory that killing Scarlet wasn’t as good as getting a kiss from her. I love that comment!

To Anet: Thank you for giving us a chance to flirt with Majory! You’ve made my day!

I was fully satisfied with the Ka-Braham comment choice.

Leo Paul.1659

See? So its all about your moral standards. Guess, they just wasnt as high as mine. A little lower and even u would be hurt. Looks like you immersed much enough. Just dont accept it untill it hurts ya.

Morality is subjective. What you perceive as high, I might see as self righteous.

(edited by Leo Paul.1659)

Sergoros.4398

One of the 3 jokes was

Or a bunch of relieved people who’re glad that one of the most dangerous and destructive people was finally stopped and blowing off some steam. It’s a natural way people cope with tragedy.

Unrefined, common people, ill say. As i said, they appeal to this category of people as much as possible. So my point still stands.

For brutes this choices would be fine. But my sylvari is supposed to be better than this.

Sergoros.4398

Morality is subjective. What you perceive as high, I might see as self righteousness.

But my point still stands. If u care about the game > u care about the story. U just fine with the way story is made right now.

Leo Paul.1659

Morality is subjective. What you perceive as high, I might see as self righteousness.

But my point still stands. If u care about the game > u care about the story. U just fine with the way story is made right now.

Ofc I do care about the story. That was never a point of contention.

Posted by: Traveller.7496

Traveller.7496

Oddly enough, there’s a topic here with people saying they were moved to tears by the graveyard & memorial scenes in LA. Personally, I’m not as invested emotionally in the story, but I don’t go around saying that they suck for liking it.

For those that are saying, “It’s just a game”, “It’s just a movie”, “It’s just a book”, “It’s just a song” … quality works of fiction & literature and art can always invoke emotion in us. I’m not exactly sure if the emotions invoked in the case of Marjory’s lack of tact and incredibly awkward joke options were what the devs were going for, but kitten it, for me it was thought-provoking, more than all of the hero teams’ little adventures put together.

Know why? I said it before, I couldn’t care less about Marjory, Kasmeer and rest of their scooby-doo gang. But I care about my character. In a RP sense, none of those options are those I would say. And this is still a RPG, want it or not. I want my character to say things that make sense in the context. They should’ve put there at least one “respect the dead” – option.

Sergoros.4398

Ofc I do care about the story. That was never a point of contention.

It was, actually.
Good thing I don’t get immersed enough in video games that I confuse my real world morals with theirs
U see. If u not immersed enough, so u shouldnt care about puke jokes and story for 10 year olds.

Because its a game world! Dont confuse your morals and theirs! In Tyria its just fine!

Leo Paul.1659

I didn’t find it tactless or awkward at all, although I do agree with having more options that would reflect what kind of personality you’d like your own character to have. It’s just as distasteful though that some people think that those who do not empathize with their moral view is inferior.

Sergoros.4398

Know why? I said it before, I couldn’t care less about Marjory, Kasmeer and rest of their scooby-doo gang. But I care about my character. In a RP sense, none of those options are those I would say. And this is still a RPG, want it or not. I want my character to say things that make sense in the context. They should’ve put there at least one “respect the dead” – option.

^ Exactly this.