*Spoiler* Braham ruined it for me...

in Battle for Lion’s Arch - Aftermath

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

Why the hell would Braham tell Scarlet “it doesn’t matter now” when she was about to tell us why she did what she did?! I really wanted to know. I want questions answered! I mean come on, who interrupts the classic villain when they are about to tell us all about their plot? This makes me want to run my sword through Braham where he stands!

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by: TurtleofPower.5641

TurtleofPower.5641

He didn’t win any fans with that line.

Posted by: MassDelusion.9130

MassDelusion.9130

Posted by: XPilo.5862

XPilo.5862

Man he ruin it for everyone, I was like shut up Braham I want hear what she have to say!!!

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

lol, that actually makes a lot of sense. That makes Braham smarter than majority of the heroes out there in other games/movies/comics. Villains do the same thing in opposite situation and babble on forever about their plans instead of killing the hero and then they get own’t. I still wanted to hear it from Scarlet but I’m sure they’ll find a different way to reveal everything.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Brutalistik.6473

Brutalistik.6473

Braham is a gangster. He told Scarlet your spotlight is gone so you’re not important anymore. We don’t care what you say now lol.

Pineapples

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

The reason is obvious, to save the writers explaining in exceptionally convoluted terms what her nonsensical plan was, if their was even one at all.

If you want I can explain the whole plot right now, it is quite simp… <.< >.> Look! Braham!

-runs away-

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

It is annoying but it’s also completely in character for Braham. He’s a simple guy.

Bad guy causes problems>kill bad guy>problems solved

He doesn’t listen because he doesn’t care. Scarlet is about to die and that’s that.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: IncognitoP.1648

IncognitoP.1648

Braham is an agent of arena net planted on the living story squad whose mission was to kill scarlet before she fills any plot holes

Posted by: BladeNinja.4671

BladeNinja.4671

Its called “Shoot first ask Questions later” who wants to listen to a villian talk hrs on end just so they can prolong thier defeat

Aura Slicer X Thief. Pvp svr 007 Oh wait! i’m not suppose to tell you that!

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

It is annoying but it’s also completely in character for Braham. He’s a simple guy.

He doesn’t listen because he doesn’t care. Scarlet is about to die and that’s that.

Also you can inspect her terminals after she dies. It basically says you’d need to bring in the team of experts to figure it out.

Besides, would anybody want to risk her using some voice control to kill you? or teleport away again? Nah, she’s here, she’s wounded, let’s finish this.

Posted by: Nightarch.2943

Nightarch.2943

Killing Scarlet was absolutely wrong. She should have stood trial for her crimes and so much more could of been explained. Suppose she was too dangerous to be kept alive by ArenaNet’s standards.

Guild Wars 2 is not a sequel to the original Guild Wars but merely an alternative story setting.

Posted by: Shinzan.2908

Shinzan.2908

We already know what’s going on, and there’s going to be an epilogue on the 18th which I assume will summarize everything as well.

Personally I didn’t want Scarlet to go on about how awesome and smart she is, her being told to just shut up because she is doesn’t matter felt satisfying. She didn’t deserve a villainous speech in my opinion.

Brutalistik.6473

Killing Scarlet was absolutely wrong. She should have stood trial for her crimes and so much more could of been explained. Suppose she was too dangerous to be kept alive by ArenaNet’s standards.

She can always be resurrected >.0

Pineapples

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

Braham probably helped Scarlet. To cover his crimes, Scarlet had to die before she had a chance to tell everyone the truth.

Braham is as stupid as his mother. He makes all Norns look bad.

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

Except as they closed in to do just that she attacked them nearly killing 2 of your friends. I believe lethal force was justified.

[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry

Kaiyanwan.8521

Except as they closed in to do just that she attacked them nearly killing 2 of your friends. I believe lethal force was justified.

She killed thousands before, why would two random NPCs make any difference. My friends? Braham? Nope. Marjory? I would sacrifice her every day to hear the whole “masterplan” of Scarlet.

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

Bless, Braham’s kitten ed if he does and kitten ed if doesn’t!

If he’d let the cabbage have the traditional villain’s exposition speech, there’d be a bucketload of grr! argh!* poured on his head.

In the event of not allowing for the traditional villain’s exposition speech, there’s a bucketload of grr! argh! poured on his head.

* this is the technical term, you realise.

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

Brutalistik.6473

She killed thousands before, why would two random NPCs make any difference. My friends? Braham? Nope. Marjory? I would sacrifice her every day to hear the whole “masterplan” of Scarlet.

Nah dude I understand you’re Scarlet fan but villains that strong with powerful leadership to command such an army is a major threat. She needed to be killed because with all the knowledge she got..she could pull another stunt like this again. I’m quite sure someone will rescue her like a prison guard if she was placed in jail.

It sucks though because she had a lot knowledge, but used for wrong doings because if she was our ally Tyria has a powerful ally.

Pineapples

(edited by Brutalistik.6473)

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Why the hell would Braham tell Scarlet “it doesn’t matter now” when she was about to tell us why she did what she did?! I really wanted to know. I want questions answered! I mean come on, who interrupts the classic villain when they are about to tell us all about their plot? This makes me want to run my sword through Braham where he stands!

Think about it for a moment:
We whined and whined and whined that we don’t care about Scarlet, we want her gone.
I thought the dev take on that, that she is just killed off without even trying to investigate her, was a really move. It did exactly what a gargantuan amount of people have been asking for, Scarlet is gone now. Happy now?

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

In Fable II, you have an opportunity in the end to let Lord Lucien monologue his plans.
It really gives you a choice of letting him go on and on, even repeating himself, however if you don’t end it, Reaver does, taking nothing from the story that you didn’t already know.

All that would have happened, if you think of the timeframe of the instance, is that the drill would have reached it’s target, and Scarlet would “Neener neener!” anyway. Anyone could see she was clearly buying time to actually see what she had done come to fruition.

“Look like the innocent flower, but be the Obaba under’t.”

Kaiyanwan.8521

Nah dude I understand you’re Scarlet fan but villains that strong with powerful leadership to command such an army is a major threat. She needed to be killed because with all the knowledge she got..she could pull another stunt like this again. I’m quite sure someone will rescue her like a prison guard if she was placed in jail.

It sucks though because she had a lot knowledge, but used for wrong doings because if she was our ally Tyria has a powerful ally.

Don’t get me wrong, Scarlet was the worst villain I have ever seen in a game. But a bit more knowledge of her motivation might have been the saving grace for her existence.

Now this ending is just bad. She could have been devoured by the dragon she released. Or burned trapped in her ship (my hope for the final really), but no, she get’s a mercyful instagib without story.

That is not how a good story is told or ends. This is just lazy.

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

You misunderstood. I did not mean lethal force was justified in the sense that because she hurt our friends now she deserves it. I mean that when we tried to detain her she attacked us. She was not about to come peacefully. She makes that very clear in the cutscene, saying basically “you think you can arrest me? I dare you” then almost kills us.

So yeah, in what universe was simply arresting her an option?

[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry

Posted by: Marquie Thomas.1873

Marquie Thomas.1873

Don’t get me wrong, Scarlet was the worst villain I have ever seen in a game. But a bit more knowledge of her motivation might have been the saving grace for her existence.

Now this ending is just bad. She could have been devoured by the dragon she released. Or burned trapped in her ship (my hope for the final really), but no, she get’s a mercyful instagib without story.

How you can’t not tell from all the dialog from the instance that pointed out that she was trying to wake up mordremoth. any way giving her time to talk would have just helped her plane work out even more or time to escape. Any way she is dead now and people Now complain that we killed her wtf you cant win for loseing.

Kaiyanwan.8521

What did it change that she died early. The drill reached its goal anyway.

She was done, she reached her insane goal. We lost. We could have gotten some knowledge out of the situation, but no, not Trahearne, but Braham takes away the story this time.

Brutalistik.6473

Too each it’s own man. Scarlet left the heroes with cliff hangers that someone powerful than her is coming. They said Tyria will handle it like they did with her and wanted to quickly end her.

The way they designed Scarlet is that she had too many tricks up her sleeves. If they let her ramble off more then they die. Any good villain will talk a good game while focusing on a spell or voice activation mechanic to kill the good guys. Braham and Majory made sure that won’t happen.

They could of been cold hearted and blast her from a distance before she could even talk, but they given her respect to talk for a few while proceeding cautiously to end her.

This was a good way to end the Scarlet chapter plus maybe a foreshadowing of a new destiny’s edge group if it stays that way with those 4.

Pineapples

Posted by: hardy.7469

hardy.7469

It would’ve been nice to have it explained to us why the entire year of living story even existed.
Aside from “Scarlet was evil and/or corrupted”, the story for the past year basically went nowhere.

If everything that happened in the LS didn’t happen and they just went straight to an ED waking up? Is there something lost?
Would anything really have been missed?

Posted by: Marquie Thomas.1873

Marquie Thomas.1873

It would’ve been nice to have it explained to us why the entire year of living story even existed.
Aside from “Scarlet was evil and/or corrupted”, the story for the past year basically went nowhere.

If everything that happened in the LS didn’t happen and they just went straight to an ED waking up? Is there something lost?

I don’t people people realise thats what the point of the attack on lions arch was meant to do jumpstart moredremoth all scarlet had to do was hit the layline and all she had planed was done.

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Uh, yes? The actual patches? There’s more to them than the story fragments, after all. It’s a MMO, you don’t exactly play them to expect Bioware-levels of cringeworthy or Obsidian-levels of gritty storytelling, do you?
The story is a backdrop against which to set some content. The content started out supremely meh, and steadily improved, each patch showing improvements directly derived from our feedback to previous patches (examples Pavillion → Tower, or Invasion → LA invasion). And the final 5-6 were really good IMO, offering an insight into doing slightly more complex zerg-fight tactics (something no dev so far has actually tackled, so it’s interesting to see one experiment with it).

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: Egon Vidar.9125

Egon Vidar.9125

That seemed to have been part of the point.

“What’re you gonna do, put me in JAIL? Ha.”

I strongly get the impression it’d be a hell of a thing, trying to lock up and keep a person with the sort of resources Scarlet has.

Regarding letting her talk, as curious as I am, I’d rather not allow her any more time to run her mouth, stroke her own ego, possibly fling more insults, or use some sort of kill command. I was so tired of her I just wanted to beat the life out of her, and Braham just sped it along for me. I’m content getting the answers from other people who won’t potentially BS me anyway. And she gets to go to the grave on that – having been told to shut up, that no one cares. A fitting end for an egomaniac.

And doubly wonderful for me, a sylvari engineer beating a sylvari engineer to death with a wrench, from my gameplay perspective. I’m happy with how she went out, even if I might have to wait a bit longer for some answers she might have not even given, anyway.

Kalavier.1097

Yeah, only with her history of voice commands, teleportation, and other feats, letting her monologue may summon in five enraged twisted nightmares. Or one of those assault knights.

Or teleported her OUT of danger. Or started a self destruct.

Besides, Braham letting her explain herself would just fly in the face of HIS established character. What has been his approach? “We know the bad guy is there, let’s storm in, and just smash him.”

Besides, the trial would be over before it began, that’s assuming mob justice didn’t get her and you had the angry refugees (and/or Taimi) murder her in the jail cell or on route.

Posted by: hedix.1986

hedix.1986

Think about it for a moment:
We whined and whined and whined that we don’t care about Scarlet, we want her gone.
I thought the dev take on that, that she is just killed off without even trying to investigate her, was a really move. It did exactly what a gargantuan amount of people have been asking for, Scarlet is gone now. Happy now?

People stopped whining when they announced the end of Scarlet. Before, everyone just wanted some explanation for why she’s in the game and what on Tyria was she after. Giving us her Lair with all the clues was a great move for Anet. When they expanded her story to something more than a Jokerish rando villain, I didn’t see that many complaints. There was speculation, fan theories, it was fun.
This ending, with too little dialogue and no options, goes back to the early days of Scarlet’s character – when her poor presentation made people resent her.

Someone said soon after Scarlet’s was introduced that ppl don’t hate her per say, she might be an interesting character, but with the way she was presented in game, players didn’t have a reason to care and they wanted back to the original GW2. Now that we do know more, that we care, it would have been great if there was an ending with more information and more in-game story – the one thing that the community mostly complained about.

[QQ] – ex RoS, current Piken Square
[DV] – megaboss community

(edited by hedix.1986)

Posted by: Lane.3410

Lane.3410

Agreed. So far the best explanation I’ve been given is ‘dragon made me do it’, which is the shallowest route they could have gone with the writing.

Character and story development were sorely lacking throughout this entire ‘season’. I foolishly hoped for some actual depth with the finale.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Nope, she was simply too dangerous and too unpredictable to let have longer than need be. And we didn’t need to know what she was doing this for, we wanted to know what she was doing this for.

Besides, you’ll note Braham didn’t succeed with putting her down right there, she threw those crazy Scarlet downed abilities on us. Where can I get some invulnerable shields for my downed characters?

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: hedix.1986

hedix.1986

Or teleported her OUT of danger. Or started a self destruct.

Besides, Braham letting her explain herself would just fly in the face of HIS established character. What has been his approach? “We know the bad guy is there, let’s storm in, and just smash him.”

Besides, the trial would be over before it began, that’s assuming mob justice didn’t get her and you had the angry refugees (and/or Taimi) murder her in the jail cell or on route.

True, retribution etc would not allow her to live long. And while she used deus ex machina to escape the fight in former encounters, now that she was dying, she could have delivered a Villain’s Last Stand and give us some of the much desired information.

The issue here is not that Braham took our ending from us, it was that there was no option to an ending with an ounce more information about the character we’ve been dealing with for months. Scarlet needed that better insight into her motivations if Anet wanted to save the grace of this character.

[QQ] – ex RoS, current Piken Square
[DV] – megaboss community

(edited by hedix.1986)

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

Agreed, but even more practically you would want her testimony as to her main goal. I mean from the NPC perspective, there is no reason for her actions. We know roughly what she was doing, but not why. Killing her when she could have almost as easily been subdued is stupidity.

Knowing the full threat could mean the difference between thousands of future deaths due to unknown threats or those lives being saved because we can be preemptive. Not to mention more insight in the alliances could help us deal with them and/or disband them better. Overall, just not a smart move to kill when subdual is a practical option (which is was).

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by: Tremain.4623

Tremain.4623

Why would you need Scarlet to tell you why she did it when you find out a few seconds later anyways?

Kaiyanwan.8521

Why would you need Scarlet to tell you why she did it when you find out a few seconds later anyways?

We do not. Well we know because we see the cinematic, but my character in game and all NPCs do not yet have any clue what’s going on.

Posted by: Aajolea.8132

Aajolea.8132

Regardless of Brahams instinct for action not words, me, being apparently their nominal leader should have over ridden him to allow her villainous plot to be revealed. What we have is still in-character ignorance of what the drill is really attempting and what the heck all the killing was for.

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Honestly, I believe Braham made the smart decision, knowing Scarlet had some traps up her sleeve.

Posted by: Shpongle.6025

Shpongle.6025

Because Scarlet was Hitler and nobody wants to hear her story. Attaboy Graham.

Are you Shpongled?

Posted by: Luke.4562

Luke.4562

Simply, what we have here is ANET escaping for the easiest way shoveling a wagon of KITTEN on all the hints and little spoilers of the past which were giving more hype on the reason for Scarlet to make all this mess.

+1 disoriented Plot Writers.

ALPHA, BETA, several months, … 1 Year later…“When it’s ready”[cit.]

Posted by: Valor Singus.7049

Valor Singus.7049

Eh, there’s a necromancer in the party.

“Don’t you want to know my evil plan?”
“Yeah, hold that thought…”

Stab
Bang
BOOM
Squish
Splat
Pewpewpew

“Wait…where did her jaw go? Oh, there it is, hand me that would you?”

ominous necromantic chanting

“There’s no time, the entire place is coming down!”
“Well, kitten. Well, we only need this bit so hit her right here…”

Run for the exit
More ominous necromantic chanting

“Now, you were saying something about an evil plan…?”

Kalavier.1097

Eh, there’s a necromancer in the party.

Run for the exit
More ominous necromantic chanting

“Now, you were saying something about an evil plan…?”

Yeah, besides the fact bringing spirits back from the dead to ask them questions is implied to be a high level, dangerous ritual. You see it happen in PS.

Also, about letting Scarlet live. Note Kiel and Magnus had zero intention of taking her alive. Throwing her in a lionguard jail cell would likely result in some ‘tragic accident’. Infact, just about the entire city refugees and Lionguard (alongside order members and such) just want her DEAD.

And from an out of character viewpoint, by that point she was fully enthralled by the dragon. “Tyria will serve a new master” and being deathly serious instead of joking.

Hell, in character it was obvious Scarlet was mostly gone. Her recordings and journal make note of the ‘voice/being’ in her head, and how she was fighting it because she wanted freedom and credit for her actions. Then she mentions bowing to a master?

edit: Hell, the female quaggan of the quaggan couple in Gendarran fields (from tower of nightmares update) wished DEATH on Scarlet, and cheers you for causing it to happen. If Scarlet hit the point of making Quaggan wish death on her, she’d never survive in jail without a tragic accident followed by an “Investigation that produced no leads/results.”

(edited by Kalavier.1097)

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

Also you can inspect her terminals after she dies. It basically says you’d need to bring in the team of experts to figure it out.

Besides, would anybody want to risk her using some voice control to kill you? or teleport away again? Nah, she’s here, she’s wounded, let’s finish this.

Actually it doesn’t say you need to bring a team of experts, just says that you need someone with engineering knowledge.

However, if you’re playing an engineer, instead of that it says that the device is fueled by magic and that there’s no evident way to turn it off, if you look closer it actually says that Scarlet made it so that there’s no way to turn it off on purpose, in case she was captured or killed.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

She was too dangerous to keep alive by the standards of anyone with even half a brain.

What would be the purpose of a trial?

Present evidence? Tens of thousand of witnesses across the world and publicly admitting guilt not enough? To come up with a punishment? Murder on a global scale only has one fitting punishment. And any second she’s alive is time she has to resist, escape, or commit even more murder.