The New Destiny's Edge?

The New Destiny's Edge?

in Battle for Lion’s Arch - Aftermath

Posted by: Kraag Deadsoul.2789

Kraag Deadsoul.2789

So with the Battle for Lion’s Arch concluded, we gather at the Dead End Bar to rejoice and reflect on the victory over Scarlet. Let’s take stock of the principle characters, shall we:

• Marjory Delaqua (human)
  • Kasmeer Meade (human)
  • Braham Ericsson (Norn)
  • Rox Pickheart (Charr)
  • Taimi (Asura)

We have four of the five races of Tyria represented here. We also have several of the professions represented, as well: Necromancer, Mesmer, Guardian, Ranger, and Engineer. The only race missing is a Sylvari. Who among the cast of characters to date might fill that vacant slot? Trahearne? Caithe? Canach?

Are we witnessing the formation of a successor to Destiny’s Edge?

What of Marjory Delaqua’s sister, Belinda? She says she’s been tasked with hunting down a bandit ring in Brisban Wildlands. We heard the roar of an awakening dragon at the conclusion of Scarlet’s End; assumed to be Mordremoth, the Elder Jungle Dragon.

Marjory’s sister Belinda is heading west into Brisban Wildlands; a semi-jungle region.

Mordremoth is the Elder Jungle Dragon.

Marjory’s sister.

Brisban Wildlands.

Jungle.

Jungle dragon.

My bet is Marjory’s sister goes missing in Brisban Wildlands. This becomes the point of tension, triggering Marjory to go looking for her. Kasmeer, refusing to be left behind, insists on accompanying her. Kasmeer, concerned for Marjory’s safety, secretly enlists the aid of Braham, Rox, and Taimi. Along the way they pick up the as-yet-to-be-revealed Sylvari member of the team (whoever that may be).

This may become a new addition to the player’s personal story and/or a Living World story arc. It will culminate with the reveal of Mordremoth and possibly expansion-worthy content (or, at the very least, some new regions of the map opened up and possibly the Tengu becoming either a playable race or at least gaining access to their aeries).

Of course, the original Destiny’s Edge had 6 members; but Snaff fell in battle. If the new Destiny’s Edge is to follow suit, who will get the axe this time? Marjory? Kasmeer? Braham? Rox? Taimi? The yet-to-be-revealed 6th member (let it be Trahearne, let it be Trahearne, let it be Trahearne)?

Discuss.

So many souls, so little time. ~ Kraag Deadsoul

The New Destiny's Edge?

Posted by: IllegalChocolate.6938

IllegalChocolate.6938

I can’t speak for everyone but I want to see Canach more.

1. he fits the bill of a tough as nails don’t take no attitude strong independent archetype
2. he’s a warrior
3. he’s a Sylvari

He for the most part fits the bill for the anti-hero archetype to complete the personality flavors of the hero cast.

The New Destiny's Edge?

Posted by: Vexander.9850

Vexander.9850

I’m willing to see another group of biconics, but I’d like Taimi to be a part of it. She time with the others was very short lived, I think she’d make a good transitional character to a new group. The new group should do it right. -1- Human, and only one. For the love of all that is holy, give us a male human character too, preferably an Elementalist. Not trying to be a chauvinist, but we need someone to take people’s minds off Logan.

The New Destiny's Edge?

Posted by: Dondagora.9645

Dondagora.9645

I’m voting Canach. While the others are strong, Canach is has guerrilla cunning and would likely add some strategic flavoring to the group, given that, so far, they’ve just been busting through everything by chance. Plus, he’s kind of redeemed and has too unique of a look to be locked up for so long.

The New Destiny's Edge?

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

Braham said they were going to form a guild so it is likely to happen. My guess is that they will have one of each profession rather than one of each race, although some characters might leave and join so they all won’t be there at the same time.

The New Destiny's Edge?

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

1. he fits the bill of a tough as nails don’t take no attitude strong independent archetype
2. he’s a warrior
3. he’s a Sylvari

He for the most part fits the bill for the anti-hero archetype to complete the personality flavors of the hero cast.

Would be nice to have an anti-hero in Destiny’s Child, but I’m afraid he might get good-guy-ized too much in order to join them.

The New Destiny's Edge?

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

2. he’s a warrior
3. he’s a Sylvari

No, just no.

1. Everything he does goes wrong. His plans never go according to his plan.
2. He can’t (or doesn’t want to) avoid capture. He’s more than happy to sit in a jail cell as the world around him burns.
3. He’s Sylvari. Enough with the Sylvari in the storyline. And this is coming from a player who plays Sylvari exclusively.

The New Destiny's Edge?

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

I really think that YOU, as the player, are the 6th member. Remember how everyone hated the second half of the Personal story, where you were basically leading trahearne? I think they learned from that mistake and are letting you be part of the group itself.

Now, if you go into the whole, ‘well, they need a sylvaria!’ I would disagree. When writing, sometimes planned out ideas just don’t work out as you intended. We may not get a sylvari in this new Destiny’s Edge at all. It could have been planned, but it may not have worked out that way. Not to mention, Caithe really doesn’t have anyone following her or trying to model themselves after her (yet).

Rox – Trying to get into Rytlock’s warband
Braham – mom issues etc
Taimi – apprentice to Zojja
Marjory – use to be in the Ministry Guard
Kasmeer – following along with Marjory (basically Snaff being the mentor to Zojja)

Caithe…has no one. None that we know. Hence I believe the player is the 6th. And if anything, I rather keep it that way XD

The New Destiny's Edge?

Posted by: Kraag Deadsoul.2789

Kraag Deadsoul.2789

I really think that YOU, as the player, are the 6th member. Remember how everyone hated the second half of the Personal story, where you were basically leading trahearne? I think they learned from that mistake and are letting you be part of the group itself.

Now, if you go into the whole, ‘well, they need a sylvaria!’ I would disagree. When writing, sometimes planned out ideas just don’t work out as you intended. We may not get a sylvari in this new Destiny’s Edge at all. It could have been planned, but it may not have worked out that way. Not to mention, Caithe really doesn’t have anyone following her or trying to model themselves after her (yet).

Rox – Trying to get into Rytlock’s warband
Braham – mom issues etc
Taimi – apprentice to Zojja
Marjory – use to be in the Ministry Guard
Kasmeer – following along with Marjory (basically Snaff being the mentor to Zojja)

Caithe…has no one. None that we know. Hence I believe the player is the 6th. And if anything, I rather keep it that way XD

There are indications of this in the dialog in the Dead End Bar where the player is complimented as being the true hero who defeated Scarlet. So I do agree with the above assessment that the player, instead, may be that 6th member. This, of course, would be a welcome change to playing second fiddle to Trahearne as was done with the first installment of the personal story.

So many souls, so little time. ~ Kraag Deadsoul

The New Destiny's Edge?

Posted by: Xyvol.1265

Xyvol.1265

Destiny’s Edge was composed of a member of each race so that the player would have a mentor for the beginning of the game, a hero of a famous guild who would guide the player onto their own heroic path. In that sense their purpose has been served, and there is no reason for any other group of characters that appear in the story to have to follow suit. Just because DE was built a certain way, doesn’t mean the new group should or would be the same. I’ve really enjoyed the Sylvari in terms of lore and story, so I would like to have one as part of the group, but not just because they need one to round out the racial role. I’d rather wait for when the time comes that they need that element. I kind of like the idea of having a character of each profession, because it makes for a group with diverse skills, but the same idea applies here as well. The character’s race and profession should be fitting for whatever story they are crafting. If that means we get three humans and two guardians or mesmers, that’s fine as long as it fits. Delaqua Investigations could end up being a large guild with many members that come and go, depending on the situation.