Best trailer ever!

Best trailer ever!

in Fractured

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

My opinion of course, but this is one of the best GW2 trailers I’ve seen to date. Absolutely brilliantly done! Trailer team, take a bow, you’ve earned it.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Best trailer ever!

in Fractured

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

It’s simply stunning, I can’t wait to see the new Fractals

Best trailer ever!

in Fractured

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

GW: Factions CGI trailer was better.

Best trailer ever!

in Fractured

Posted by: Alsatian.6307

Alsatian.6307

The trailer gives goosebumps, I love it, can’t wait on the update! <3

Best trailer ever!

in Fractured

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

Trailer is indeed spectacular. The art direction on it is simply top notch.

Best trailer ever!

in Fractured

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I love the trailer too! Jaw dropping gorgeous. Though I note every fractal we see in it already exists, albeit artistically interpreted here (giant in the Mossman shack, wut?).

Best trailer ever!

in Fractured

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Is the giant Mossman a hint of boss revamps?

Best trailer ever!

in Fractured

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Yep, a group repeatedly wiping, no better representation of FOTM than that. :P

Best trailer ever!

in Fractured

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

The trailer is indeed a great piece of work.

Best trailer ever!

in Fractured

Posted by: BigMoser.8790

BigMoser.8790

I agree. This trailer is the type I love to see for GW2 in the future. It was truly amazing, the music fit so well, and it makes me want to do fractals even more!

Best trailer ever!

in Fractured

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

This trailer’s style is much better than the previous trailers. In my opinion, it’s especially better than the previous trailers with the hylek female VA’s narration.

Best trailer ever!

in Fractured

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

It was awesome. Must watch again.

…yep, still awesome.

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)

Best trailer ever!

in Fractured

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

Not bad, reminds me of Samurai Jack kinda.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

Best trailer ever!

in Fractured

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Its an actual cinematic, of course its better than some camera panning around a random 3D environment while a voice over plays.

I’d say I hope future trailers will be like this, but it probably takes too much work to make that feasible.

Best trailer ever!

in Fractured

Posted by: jayb.1329

jayb.1329

Please more trailers like this.

Best trailer ever!

in Fractured

Posted by: jayb.1329

jayb.1329

lol no it wasn’t.

Best trailer ever!

in Fractured

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

Yup, the trailer is awesome and the guys who were responsible for that should get an extra christmas gift.

But like I thought, the new fractal looks designwise pretty much like a copy paste job of the already excisting labs but that was to be expected and since we never got anything interessting out of the other fractals lorewise,I think it will be pretty bad.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Best trailer ever!

in Fractured

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

It was a good trailer. Not sure about the best GW2 trailer, but it was good. If only the swampman guy was really like that in the game…really large and half submerged, swiping at you.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Best trailer ever!

in Fractured

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

lol no it wasn’t.

lol opinions.

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

Best trailer ever!

in Fractured

Posted by: Matthew Oswald

Matthew Oswald

Cinematics Lead

Next

Thanks for the nice comments guys.

Here are some “behind the scenes” facts about this cinematic:

The cinematic was built as a prototype for the new video playback technology.

It was made over a year ago, and we planned to launch it with the original Fractal release. Unfortunately, the tech didn’t get implemented in time and we missed the release window. It was decided that we sit on the cinematic trailer until there was a big update to the Fractals.

The 3D character models are (pre)rendered in-engine with our model viewer and matched up with cameras in Maya and After Effects.

While I have special place in my heart for the original GW2 in-engine cinematics (such as the Dugneon Catacombs flashback…a cinematic that I reworked 4 times over the course of development) These new types of pre-rendered videos allow us to work faster, increase the quality, and they perform better on more peoples machines.

There are some pretty exciting cinematics coming in the future…I hope you guys will receive them as well as the Fractals piece.

Thanks again!

(edited by Matthew Oswald.3082)

Best trailer ever!

in Fractured

Posted by: Ision.3207

Ision.3207

Anet, Great Trailer – BRAVO!

Colin Johanson to Eurogamer: "Everyone, including casual gamers,
by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game.
We want everyone on an equal power base.”

Best trailer ever!

in Fractured

Donari.5237

That certainly explains why it only has original fractals in it. I am looking forward eagerly to more cinematics of this quality. No one’s commented on the transitions yet so I’ll note that I found them superbly done, a really nice flow from one scene to the next via transformation of one element into another.

Also I am laughing that the feline filter can even get a dev. It needs some real smartening up to recognize real words that aren’t trying to be foul.

Best trailer ever!

in Fractured

Posted by: Backward Sass.6791

Backward Sass.6791

That was a fun trailer to watch, great job!

It was decided that we sit on the cinematikittenil there was a big update to the Fractals.

I think you forgot a space between “cinematic” and “until”.

Best trailer ever!

in Fractured

Donari.5237

No, I think the space was there. The filter assumes spaces are there to thwart it and reacts in draconian fashion.

… maybe the filter is an Elder Dragon at that.

Best trailer ever!

in Fractured

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

It was decided that we sit on the cinematikittenil there was a big update to the Fractals.

Icwutudidther. Haha.

But onto the subject: Mr Matthew Oswald, good job sir. Kudos to you and your team.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Best trailer ever!

in Fractured

Posted by: KrisHQ.4719

KrisHQ.4719

A decent amount of months back I called that concept-art cinematics would be successful. I guess I was right
Even made two threads about it, yep.. two.

Lysis Kawahara – D/D Elementalist
Zaphiel Faires – DPS Guardian

Best trailer ever!

in Fractured

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Nope…. even with the space, it is still still censored. It’s a common issue I’ve seen with their filtering.

On topic:

Yes, that was a great trailer. I can’t wait to see more!

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Best trailer ever!

in Fractured

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

It was made over a year ago, and we planned to launch it with the original Fractal release. Unfortunately, the tech didn’t get implemented in time and we missed the release window. It was decided that we sit on the cinematikittenil there was a big update to the Fractals.

I had a feeling that this would have looked fracking awesome for the original debut of Fractals. Still it was a good video and I’m glad to hear we’ll have more in the future.

(Gives entire video team cookie)

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Best trailer ever!

in Fractured

Posted by: draconx.3102

draconx.3102

There are some pretty exciting cinematics coming in the future…I hope you guys will receive them as well as the Fractals piece.

I just hope that if/when you add more cinematics to the game you will take care and make them

(a) not pop up in the middle of a fight / action sequence causing you to die instantly when the cinematic ends (*cough*volcanic fractal*cough*)
(b) be skippable so we don’t have to wait 5 minutes for Mrs. Lionguard to explain to Caithe how much help they need dealing with lolscarlet over and over and over again.

Best trailer ever!

in Fractured

Posted by: CountzuCrytus.7256

CountzuCrytus.7256

It was made over a year ago, and we planned to launch it with the original Fractal release. Unfortunately, the tech didn’t get implemented in time and we missed the release window. It was decided that we sit on the cinematikittenil there was a big update to the Fractals.

The 3D character models are (pre)rendered in-engine with our model viewer and matched up with cameras in Maya and After Effects.

While I have special place in my heart for the original GW2 in-engine cinematics (such as the Dugneon Catacombs flashback…a cinematic that I reworked 4 times over the course of development) These new types of pre-rendered videos allow us to work faster, increase the quality, and they perform better on more peoples machines.

Thanks again!

Can we expect cinematics similar to this one (that uses the new engine) in the future?

Best trailer ever!

in Fractured

Posted by: esit.3927

esit.3927

Was just about to start a thread myself and come across this one but expected to be beaten to the punch anyway to be honest.

Delight!!! after my disappointed of the Nightmare trailer where the music had no Guild Wars feel to it at all, even to the point where I could not take the actual footage in cause the music was giving me the creeps this was a massive relief.

The Fractals trailer is "Mesmer"izing (see what I did there) honestly Im gonna watch this again and again. The music is back to a Guild Wars feel and the art and creativity of it all is nothing but a win.

Appreciate that the music had to be done on last trailer cause of the guitar theme but please just stick to what the game does best…. trailers like this.

Love you guys X. I cant actually think how anyone will come and give this any bad feedback so that should show you how good this is.

P.S I think everyone involved should post a group picture all looking smug with themselves

Best trailer ever!

in Fractured

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Thanks again!

That’s awesome. GW2 cinematics are getting better and better.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Best trailer ever!

in Fractured

Posted by: Thedenofsin.7340

Thedenofsin.7340

It was made over a year ago, and we planned to launch it with the original Fractal release. Unfortunately, the tech didn’t get implemented in time and we missed the release window. It was decided that we sit on the cinematic trailer until there was a big update to the Fractals.

Thanks again!

Seriously, it’s a home run. You need to push all your media out using this, starting YESTERDAY.

Best trailer ever!

in Fractured

Posted by: Matthew Oswald

Previous

Matthew Oswald

Cinematics Lead

Next

I just hope that if/when you add more cinematics to the game you will take care and make them

(a) not pop up in the middle of a fight / action sequence causing you to die instantly when the cinematic ends (*cough*volcanic fractal*cough*)
(b) be skippable so we don’t have to wait 5 minutes for Mrs. Lionguard to explain to Caithe how much help they need dealing with lolscarlet over and over and over again.

(a) I cant answer this as it is a design issue with our scripting system. The cinematics team only handles a few of the flyby-camera-style cinematics. I can take a look at this-
(b) all our cinematics have the ability to be skip-able. Sometimes someone forgets to flag a cinematic as skippable :0

When a scene is scripted out there may be triggers that NEED to happen in order for a set of events to play out the way they were meant to be. If we allow players to skip this type of cinematic, then it can unravel scene, spawns, and such. I’d love to have a fix for this…but players may have to bare with it for the time being. I feel your pain.

Best trailer ever!

in Fractured

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I enjoyed the new (year-old) art/video style of this trailer. Well done on the cinematic team’s part. To me, it had a very good action-comic book feel to it; I actually thought it was all hand-drawn. It was cool, lol!

I have to agree with someone, though…being able to skip cinematics after the first time would be a welcome addition in many places.

Edit: Having read your response directly above, one place I found recently that was un-skippable for me was the cinematic at the Hybrid machine. I had accidently triggered it after the fight was over in the instance (I had seen it before the first time I entered the instance at the beginning), and no option to skip to the end was offered. I can understand when cinematics are a part of an event and used to trigger certain parts of said event, though. =)

Thank you for your good work and time invested. =)

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

Best trailer ever!

in Fractured

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

This system for generating videos seems rich with potential. Good stuff.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Best trailer ever!

in Fractured

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

Im glad this is getting implemented ingame! Loved the trailer, have rewatched it 5 times already and I dont even do fractals that much! (rewards have always been beyond horrible so I didnt bother with them, and probably wont bother past “experiencing” the new contents…. AC 1/3, SE 1/3, CoF1, HoTW1 can be done in a string in an hour or so and gives me around 10 gold, so it is a no-brainer for people like me who want to see their time worth ingame gold, so it is a real shame :/ , because even though it says new rewards, I bet the chances for anything to drop there are as slim as precursors, and I have never gotten a fractal skin, not even one that I cant use)

Im looking forward to more changes!!!

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

Best trailer ever!

in Fractured

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

i like the animation, and story telling, however, it does seem a little cartoony, Still on its own its a pretty strong piece of work

Best trailer ever!

in Fractured

Posted by: shinything.2380

shinything.2380

I’d like to add my voice to the list of people overjoyed with this trailer, it’s really beautiful. It’s also kind of weird watching a trailer like this and being nostalgic for its contents. You should capitalize on that and do a new Tybalt cinematic of some sort, you’ll have them crying in the aisles. Thank you for your hard work!

While I’ve got your attention, I’ve noticed that some of the recent Living World cutscenes have been especially poor quality, the current Tower of Nightmares cutscene with Scarlet Briar being the worst example. The video seems highly compressed and very low resolution, and probably looks worse on my 2560×1600 display than a 720p or 1080p one. Will you new technology address this quality issue on our gaming desktops?

Best trailer ever!

in Fractured

Posted by: Lucky.9421

Lucky.9421

Anet your new cinematics team keeps getting better and better. It is still not on the level of Horia’s pre-release animations, but it is getting closer.

That was done by a different animation studio that wasn’t even a game company. Those kinds of animations take way more time and money and are usually reserved for major releases. This was pretty awesome for an update trailer.

Best trailer ever!

in Fractured

Posted by: inazuma.7021

inazuma.7021

Great trailer. I loved it.

Vhaewyn – Level 80 Sylvari Ranger
Dakka Warforge- Level 80 Charr Engineer
Xairro – Level 80 Asura Revenant

Best trailer ever!

in Fractured

Posted by: callidus.7085

callidus.7085

Thanks again!

Definitely looking forward to cinematics like this. Keep them coming!

Slow down and smell the pixels.

Best trailer ever!

in Fractured

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

again, the trailer was great. One of the best to date in my opinion. I hope we see this stuff in game rather than in a trailer.

I want to give applause to the sound / music department. Aside from the visual candy the music was very powerful to me. bravo.

Best trailer ever!

in Fractured

Posted by: Lindelle.3718

Lindelle.3718

I actually got chills when the grawl shaman threw the human into ‘the soup’! AMAZING trailer! I agree the transitions were flawless.

Lindelle Ulfsvitr – Norn Ranger
“Walk with the pack. In the eyes of Wolf, we are all brothers and sisters.”

Best trailer ever!

in Fractured

Posted by: slurpey.6014

slurpey.6014

I am amazed how fast people label something with “flawless” or “amazing” or “best ever”. I’ve seen better and I think Anet could even do better that’s the sad part about that. Watch I get infracted again just for saying something negative, but I am sorry that’s my opinion on that lol

Best trailer ever!

in Fractured

Posted by: Righteous.4307

Righteous.4307

Seriously! This is one of the best cinematics that I have ever seen. I am primarily a WvW player and typically only play fractals for the gear/reward. However, this amazing cinematic trailer has me excited for the update.

Cheers!

[MU] Barnabas Hale
HoD Commander
http://mugw2.enjin.com/

Best trailer ever!

in Fractured

Posted by: Lasur Arkinshade.4107

Lasur Arkinshade.4107

So… I guess there’s no chance we’ll be seeing more of the original painterly cutscenes?

While I love the new style of cinematics too, I think the original painterly cutscene style has a certain very special charm and I’d hate to see it entirely forsaken in favour of pre-rendered cutscenes, even if they are awesome in their own way.

A mix of both would be best, but I understand if resource and time constraints prevent it.

(edited by Lasur Arkinshade.4107)

Best trailer ever!

in Fractured

Posted by: nastyjman.8207

nastyjman.8207

I am amazed how fast people label something with “flawless” or “amazing” or “best ever”. I’ve seen better and I think Anet could even do better that’s the sad part about that. Watch I get infracted again just for saying something negative, but I am sorry that’s my opinion on that lol

Thank you for your opinion Debbie Downer

First Team to reach 250 has 87% chance to win (Updated 7/30/2014) : http://bit.ly/1lWH6T8

Best trailer ever!

in Fractured

Posted by: Luna.9640

Luna.9640

Thanks again!

Great Job Really!

I would like to make a suggestion since you have this tech now!

How about (if possible ofc.) you make a cinematic like this at the start of every new Living Story Chapter ( when i say chapter i mean like the 1st time Scarlet was ever introduced to us,not with every patch ) ?

This will really help out to pull the story pieces together with small tips without spoiling anything but just give us a little guide and a teaser.

Those new cinematic videos are really good and can greatly contribute to expand the story telling as we know it :>

Best trailer ever!

in Fractured

Posted by: Valanga.5942

Valanga.5942

Yeah, ANet’s always been awesome in overhyping their product with cool and shiny trailers…