Sad About Liadri

Sad About Liadri

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Lunaire.5827

Lunaire.5827

I totally agree with this sentiment.

I consider myself to be a pretty good player. I was able to beat every other gauntlet boss on the first attempt without looking up their attacks. However, when I got to Liadri, it took me roughly 35 attempts to actually beat her.

While although difficulty is welcomed, this sort of ‘difficulty’ is much more frustrating and aggravating than it is fun. It is not fun to spend hours doing the same exact content repeatedly only to fail and fail again. I can only imagine how it is for players that have spent over 100+ attempts on this.

To add to this, they added an exclusive reward to it which you cannot get unless you beat it, made the content temporary so you are time constrained, and also require a cost of entry to even attempt it.

To make something so frustrating and alienating to such a large number of players is a terrible design decision. Even though I have beaten it, I wholeheartedly support a total nerf of this boss.

Well the whole point of the mini is so that it would be exclusive. Nerfing liadri would just be ANET caving into the majority and making all content accessible to everyone again.

I see nothing wrong with ANet making all content accessible to everyone. Everyone did pay for this game, after all.

I don’t game to show off my E-Achievements to other people to prove how better I am than them. I play them for fun, and this imo is not fun.

Also, I am totally fine with making content difficult. I am not, however, fine with them making difficult content temporary, pressuring players to do them and beat them within a constrained time frame, causing unnecessary stress.

I think if content in the future is going to be this difficult then it should be permanant so players can attempt it whenever they want, and not be saddened if they can’t do it within the next 2-4 weeks but when they get better (or in this case, have a level 80 of a different class).

(edited by Lunaire.5827)

Sad About Liadri

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

Gauntlet isn’t gone for good, it’ll be coming back.

Sorry about the titles. This was kind of an oversight. I am nearly certain that the Gauntlet will return. Possibly as part of the activity rotation someday. Ideally we’ll extend it with more tiers of bosses, gambits, and achievements (and titles). I’m not sure if its possibly to retro-actively associate a new title with an old achievement but I will investigate. If so perhaps we can add some titles when the Gauntlet returns.

The problem with making content that everyone can beat is that if everyone can beat it, it’s not really for everyone. Some players like a challenge, so they don’t really enjoy easy content.

Sad About Liadri

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

Get in a loot group and farm pavilion a few times for an hour or so each. You’ll end up with a lot of tickets.

Then when you enter the battle:

1. Remember to stick close to the middle so its easier to get to the safe spots and safe dodge energy
2. Don’t go near the edge or your camera will be useless all smashed up against the wall
3. I found it easier just to sort of ignore the orbs and face the RNG. Sometimes they saved me even. If I worried to much about where they spawned I’d lose some track of Liadri’s/my own position.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Sad About Liadri

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Lord Erik.6903

Lord Erik.6903

A big point to make is between Strugar and Chomper, and Liadri there is a huge spike in difficulty that does not coincide with a proportionate scaling system.

Sad About Liadri

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: minbariguy.7504

minbariguy.7504

Nerfing liadri would just be ANET caving into the majority and making all content accessible to everyone again.

Honestly, what is the big deal that some people have with needing the game content to not be accessible to everyone?

It seems as if the same people that are so fond of pointing out that frustrated players don’t need the achievements and/or rewards from certain content are always forgetting that they also don’t need to feel like an uber-special-crystalline-snowflake because they have something that someone else doesn’t.

Sad About Liadri

in Queen's Jubilee

Navzar.2938

Nerfing liadri would just be ANET caving into the majority and making all content accessible to everyone again.

Honestly, what is the big deal that some people have with needing the game content to not be accessible to everyone?

It seems as if the same people that are so fond of pointing out that frustrated players don’t need the achievements and/or rewards from certain content are always forgetting that they also don’t need to feel like an uber-special-crystalline-snowflake because they have something that someone else doesn’t.

The problem with making content that everyone can beat is that if everyone can beat it, it’s not really fun for everyone. Some players like a challenge, so they don’t really enjoy easy content.

Making it everything beatable by everyone would be alienating players who like difficult content.

Sad About Liadri

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Excalibur.9748

Excalibur.9748

well considering, i spent 4 gold, with 50+ tries, and tons of time theorycrafting a variety of builds…. if think if anyone wants the mini they have to work for it, like I did. It wouldn’t be fun if everyone could just ez-mode through it.

All is vain.

Sad About Liadri

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Lord Erik.6903

Lord Erik.6903

It also doesn’t need to be so hard.

Sad About Liadri

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Lunaire.5827

Lunaire.5827

well considering, i spent 4 gold, with 50+ tries, and tons of time theorycrafting a variety of builds…. if think if anyone wants the mini they have to work for it, like I did. It wouldn’t be fun if everyone could just ez-mode through it.

Did you really think that spending 4 gold and 50+ tries (Meaning 49+ tries failing repeatedly) was ‘fun’ though?

I mean hats off to you if you did. I didn’t find a single moment of it enjoyable.

Sad About Liadri

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Balekai.6083

Balekai.6083

The middle ground is “How can we make this just as challenging at top tier while allowing players to approach the boss from different professons and builds?” The more I think about Liadra the easier it seems (except Anet would have to do a lot of combat AI scripting instead of easier enviromental scripting) to balance challenge. If I had designed her around the current mechanics, I would have done the following:

- Make AoE circles do 10K-20K damage (since you can be hit by multiple) at 2600 armor, with the source being from Liadra herself. This allows damage mitigation to be an avenue to take (protection, weakness), while still 1-shotting those in zerker gear etc. Although you would possibly be able to take a hit or two from the one shots, you’re more likely going to be spending more time fighting and getting ever closer to the time limit.

-Keep Minions bombs 15-25K damage at 2600 armor. Same reasons.

-Add other high dps, but avoidable special attacks form Liadra in phase 2. This allows those very skilled at avoiding damage all together to still do so, while adding some difficulty back for more damage mitigation builds.

-Give her much less hp in Phase 2, but give her things like blocks (countered by saving burst, condition damage and auto attacking or using unblockable attacks), heals (countered by CC/interrupt/KB/KD/Poison and DPS), protection (boon stripping) and weakness, blinds etc. (countered by condition removal), on players. This allows a lot more build variety instead of DPSing her down in 5-10 seconds as a Zerker Warrior and would allow lower DPS chars with access to CC to complete depending on player skill using profession skills, rather than just avoid/timing/DPS “skill.”

Everyone keeps talking as if evade and bursting are the only true skill that one can have and should be measured in this game. The fact is building your character so that you do insane damage and have lots of evade to avoid scripted enviromental effects isn’t all that different than going full damage mitigation and managing enemy attacks rather than avoiding them. Anet does not use most of GW2 combat mechanics in most fights/AI and instead opts for more enemy HP/DPS, enviromental pressure, event pressure and time sensitive challenges that ignore most builds except those built around Burst, Dodge and Evasion.

Also its fine to have glass cannon DPS builds be optimal for some of the top tier challenges in GW2. It just shouldn’t be every top tier challenge while all or most other builds are far less optimal.

Sad About Liadri

in Queen's Jubilee

Excalibur.9748

Did you really think that spending 4 gold and 50+ tries (Meaning 49+ tries failing repeatedly) was ‘fun’ though?

I mean hats off to you if you did. I didn’t find a single moment of it enjoyable.

well kinda…because I like boss rushes. it was also very frustrating though tbh. but in the end it’s worth it since I love the mini and what it stands for.

I really think people comlain too much though. I hate jump puzzles and they have tied a lot of rewards with them…I never complained because I get that some people like jumping, but I would have grounds to complain that tying rewards to jump puzzles (especially kittenes) isn’t fair then?

All is vain.

Sad About Liadri

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

A big point to make is between Strugar and Chomper, and Liadri there is a huge spike in difficulty that does not coincide with a proportionate scaling system.

This right here.

Also, if I were to give a description of the fights between Strugar and Chomper and the fight with Liadri using Devil May Cry 4 difficulties, S&C is You Must Die! mode, and Liadri is Hell or Hell mode (aka the mode where you get 1 shot and it’s hard to kill anything).

My main complaint with this fight, btw, is the fact that as a ranger, it’s near impossible for me to do since my pet, aka 30% of my DPS, gets 1-shot no matter what I do. If I could kite her with my pet taking like 10% damage from the clones and the dark beams, I wouldn’t complain so much since phase 2 would actually be doable. -_-

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Sad About Liadri

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: bhagwad.4281

bhagwad.4281

So…I finally managed to kill her. With phantasms and perma swiftness and lots of clones to distract and veil to pull back. My hands are still shaking. Now I can eat. I can sleep. I can make sweet love to my wife!

But….

I don’t want to go through this nonsense again. It’s too stressful. Every two weeks if Anet comes up with challenges like this I’ll die of a heart attack and stress. And as a mesmer I have non direct damage abilities that most other classes can only dream of. So it’s not fair. Not one whit.

Content should be accessible to all (or most) players given enough time and patience. This kind of stuff is just…absurd.

Sad About Liadri

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Missywink.7162

Missywink.7162

This. I must admit to struggling on Chomper on my main (Engineer). After finally downing them I was rather looking forward to Liadri, however after 50+ wipes on her now I hate it. It actually makes me want to stop playing.

Don’t get me wrong I love a challenge. I like things that are difficult and I dont mind dying. However there has to be an even playing field. As we have seen most of these fights favour a few professions (Mesmer, Warrior, Guardian). Am guessing that alot of the people who say “Leave Liadri alone, she does not need nerfing” are one of the above classes.

Also alot of the fights are pure RNG based. Chomper drove me insane with Strum throwing the meat directly at his feet giving me no chance at all in which to get the meat. Liadri is the same. If you get an orb spawn behind you your pretty much screwed. I get to phase 2 on Liadri and die a lot to the randomness of the orbs. I cant shoot the orbs with my rifle as I get the “Obstructed” notification. I tried a pistol build and the same thing happens alot (however I can "Occasionally hit the orb with it).

Am close to quitting Liadri as I can’t see myself killing her. Alot of hardwork and effort went into getting there only to be denied by RNG and bugs.

Oh and by the way. 7 times now I have been placed in the arena with another person usually meaning pretty much instant death due to the amount out one shot kill abilities.

Sad About Liadri

in Queen's Jubilee

minbariguy.7504

Making it everything beatable by everyone would be alienating players who like difficult content.

First, full disclosure: I don’t like difficult content. I play MMO’s to be an escape from the real world, to relax, and to have fun. Frustrating content is the opposite of that for me.

That said, I’m not suggesting that players that enjoy difficult content should be left out. I’m fine with having things in the game that are too hard for me to complete. I just won’t play that stuff. No biggie. I want you to enjoy the game, too.

However, players with a higher level of skill are — obviously — not the majority of players. They are a smaller — and yes, more elite — group of people. But I feel that the devs are so often talking about making sure that content is “challenging” that they seem to be in fact catering to your play style to an unnecessary degree. Note: this is my opinion. I am not claiming it to be fact.

I don’t usually like to get into majority vs minority discussions, because I feel as though everyone should be able to enjoy what they like, whether they are in the minority or not. Still, when it comes to events and Living Story stuff, it doesn’t feel as if ANet is even considering the lower end of the player skill scale, except to give them grindy “wear out your F-key on this for a while” tasks.

So yes, I do consider the needs of players who like “challenging” content. But I don’t often feel that the reverse is true. It seems as if the more skilled players are often dismissive and rude to any suggestion that would entail them not having stuff that makes them stand out from the crowd. I understand the desire to have something to show off a higher skill level in order to stand out from the unwashed masses, but sometimes this need seems…a little intense.

It feels like it’s sometimes more about needing to feel elite and special than it does about liking difficult content.

Sad About Liadri

in Queen's Jubilee

minbariguy.7504

So…do I understand correctly that whether or not you have fun completing content is determined by whether or not other people were able to complete it?

That’s just…not something I understand.

Sad About Liadri

in Queen's Jubilee

Excalibur.9748

So…do I understand correctly that whether or not you have fun completing content is determined by whether or not other people were able to complete it?

That’s just…not something I understand.

it wouldn’t be fun for anyone. the final boss of the tournament should be hard, don’t you agree. what’s the point of making the final boss ez mode? that would just be a joke of a tournament.

All is vain.

Sad About Liadri

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Somoe.3621

Somoe.3621

Sorry, but the idea of “I should be able to get something if I throw enough of my time at it” doesn’t apply here. Anet intentionally designed the Queen’s Gauntlet as a measure of player skill, not time or effort.

It’s just a couple achievement points and a mini pet, so what if you’re not skilled enough to get it? You have just as much of a chance to get the mini as all of the other people that have earned it, it’s a level playing field. It’s actually quite silly that you made this post because there need to be more skill-gated items like this. VERY few rewards in the game currently require a noticeable amount of skill or finesse to obtain.

I’m not trying to be a jerk or anything, but your post honestly just made you come across as really selfish. :/

Sad About Liadri

in Queen's Jubilee

Missywink.7162

Excalibur.9748, what Profession are you out of interest ?

Sad About Liadri

in Queen's Jubilee

bhagwad.4281

Sorry, but the idea of “I should be able to get something if I throw enough of my time at it” doesn’t apply here. Anet intentionally designed the Queen’s Gauntlet as a measure of player skill, not time or effort.

It’s just a couple achievement points and a mini pet, so what if you’re not skilled enough to get it? You have just as much of a chance to get the mini as all of the other people that have earned it, it’s a level playing field. It’s actually quite silly that you made this post because there need to be more skill-gated items like this. VERY few rewards in the game currently require a noticeable amount of skill or finesse to obtain.

I’m not trying to be a jerk or anything, but your post honestly just made you come across as really selfish. :/

It would be a level playing field if it was done in the heart of the mists where anyone can choose any armor/build they want. And no entry fees that favor the rich.

If that happens, we can talk about “level playing field”.

Sad About Liadri

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Shakki.3219

Shakki.3219

Where is that so called Skill with being lucky? The camera being kittened up, not being able to see the circles without getting headdaches, getting pulled right into death without being able to do anything. Players need 50-100Tries in average to kill her normally you think it’s skill? if it would be they could do it after that again and again and again but i bet they don’t even want to push their luck anymore…

sorry but i see no skill i just see a RNG system which is totally unfair to some classes.

Reaper – Anguîsh

Sad About Liadri

in Queen's Jubilee

Excalibur.9748

Thief…. why?

All is vain.

Sad About Liadri

in Queen's Jubilee

Missywink.7162

If the fight was a level playing field for every profession I would be happy. However it is in no way a level playing field. Some professions are finding the fight very easy whilst others are seriously struggling.

Sad About Liadri

in Queen's Jubilee

Missywink.7162

Thief…. why?

The classes that have found it easiest are Mesmer, Warrior, Guardian and Thief. Play it as an Engineer, Necromancer, Ranger and come back.

Sad About Liadri

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Nettle.9025

Nettle.9025

I for one appreciate difficult content that isn’t designed around the idea that everyone can do it. The fact that I actually had an encounter that took me a few tries to figure out was really fun. I wish more content was like this, but I’m sure we’d see even more complaints.

If you aren’t having fun fighting her, then don’t do it. You don’t need to do it. God knows the other 99% of this game can be done by everyone without much effort. Challenging content that requires skill and tactics is refreshing.

Badding up tourneys since 2012
NA tPvP – Elementalist – Thief

Sad About Liadri

in Queen's Jubilee

minbariguy.7504

it wouldn’t be fun for anyone.

You are making the assumption that what you find fun or not is the same for everyone. That is most definitely not the case. However:

the final boss of the tournament should be hard, don’t you agree. what’s the point of making the final boss ez mode? that would just be a joke of a tournament.

I think the final boss of a tournament should be hardER, yes. But the spike in difficulty that is being discussed here seems a bit beyond that. And why does it have to come down to anything that is not quite as hard as you would like it to be is “ez mode”?

Again, I’m not saying you shouldn’t have your massively difficult bosses. I just don’t think that everything that is released needs to be geared towards players who want a “challenge”. Some of us don’t want a challenge. We just want to have low-key, stress-free fun. And there is nothing wrong with wanting that.

I just think there’s a balance between the two types of content that ANet does not seem to be aware of.

Sad About Liadri

in Queen's Jubilee

Excalibur.9748

Thief…. why?

The classes that have found it easiest are Mesmer, Warrior, Guardian and Thief. Play it as an Engineer, Necromancer, Ranger and come back.

I don’t understand why thief is easy for this challenge, especially not the build I used.

It was not easy, here’s the guide I wrote:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/thief/Liadra-guide-for-non-zerk-direct-damage/first#post2596022

All is vain.

Sad About Liadri

in Queen's Jubilee

minbariguy.7504

It’s just a couple achievement points and a mini pet, so what if you’re not skilled enough to get it?

Yes, but on the other hand, it’s just a couple achievement points and a mini pet, so what if other players have them, too?

Because wanting other people not to be able to have the same shinies you have isn’t selfish?

Sad About Liadri

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Demented Sheep.1642

Demented Sheep.1642

God forbid you miss out on cosmetic mini and less than 1% of the content in the game cause it’s to hard for you.

You should not be able to get over everything by just tossing time at it without improving. That’s one of the worst issue with a lot of MMO’s. It all grind to you get to a certain point and then you can pass the content. You don’t get rewarded for skill you get rewarded for doing the same easy thing X amount of time. Some of the challenges should actually be skilled based.

You want it to be extremely hard for most and normal others? have you ever considered that maybe those others actually a want a challenge and not everything in the mmo has to be catered to the majority of players? I’m not a brilliant player so I likely won’t be able to beat her in this time limit. Atleast not without spending more hours and money trying than I want but that ok’s because I still have the rest of the game to enjoy and don’t feel the need to take the challenge away from others just so I can get a mini (it a fairly cool mini but its not like not having it is going to provide any advantage) and feel like a hero

(edited by Demented Sheep.1642)

Sad About Liadri

in Queen's Jubilee

Excalibur.9748

It’s just a couple achievement points and a mini pet, so what if you’re not skilled enough to get it?

Yes, but on the other hand, it’s just a couple achievement points and a mini pet, so what if other players have them, too?

Because wanting other people not to be able to have the same shinies you have isn’t selfish?

It’s not JUST any mini, it’s THE mini. Besides, you have like a month to get this mini if you really want it.

All is vain.

Sad About Liadri

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Balekai.6083

Balekai.6083

If the fight was a level playing field for every profession I would be happy. However it is in no way a level playing field. Some professions are finding the fight very easy whilst others are seriously struggling.

Just to support this idea, there is a youtube video of a warrior using fear on Liadra + adds and bursting Liadra down in under 5-10 seconds of phase 2 beginning. No other profession can really do that. That’s not exactly skill so much as overwhelming damage before a fight even begins. Why is it that cheesy DPS seems to be rewarded the most while builds and professions that focus on managing a fight through CC or condition, boon or damage control always seem to be getting the short end of the stick?

I’m not even sure if this is a skilled/experienced player vs. casual player issue. I think its more of a skilled DPS/avoid player being constantly rewarded vs. other playstyles not having challenging content designed with them in mind. I believe those who have always played glass cannons have an easier learning curve for these challenges than players that play more defensively and rely on actual skill bar usage and makeup.

It is only 20-40 achievement points, but if they keep designing the most challenging content around essentially 1 type of build and playstyle. Everyone is going to switch to that build so they can get an extra 20-40 achievement points plus special rewards every 2 weeks.

Sad About Liadri

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: CryxTryx.9208

CryxTryx.9208

The OP’s post makes me realise how wide spread this ‘anyone can do it’ content really is. It has been a long time since any game, not just guild wars 2, puts out content that is actually challenging to do and requires skill to complete.

The fact the this little bit of content got such a strong reaction just goes to show that we need more content like this.

I am not asking for the majority of conent to be very difficult. Even if just 5% of cotent required this type of skill to complete, it would give those of us who enjoy it an outlet.

I’ll be honest and say that I have not yet beat Liadri, however I have only tried her about 5 times so far and I think I am up for the challenge, I look forward to it.

And you know what, if I can’t get it, I am OK with that too. It would actually make me happy if there was content in the game that was too difficult for me to beat.

Sad About Liadri

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Kronus.6048

Kronus.6048

God forbid you miss out on cosmetic mini and less than 1% of the content in the game cause it’s to hard for you.

You should not be able to get over everything by just tossing time at it without improving. That’s one of the worst issue with a lot of MMO’s. It all grind to you get to a certain point and then you can pass the content. You don’t get rewarded for skill you get rewarded for doing the same easy thing X amount of time. Some of the challenges should actually be skilled based.

You want it to be extremely hard for most and normal others? have you ever considered that maybe those others actually a want a challenge and not everything in the mmo has to be catered to the majority of players? I’m not a brilliant player so I likely won’t be able to beat her in this time limit. Atleast not without spending more hours and money trying than I want but that ok’s because I still have the rest of the game to enjoy and don’t feel the need to take the challenge away from others just so I can get a mini (it a fairly cool mini but its not like not having it is going to provide any advantage) and feel like a hero

Nice elitism attitude . Also, it’s just a mini for starters. In the future it will be cosmetics,gear, upgrades,etc. It’s how it always starts.

Sad About Liadri

in Queen's Jubilee

Navzar.2938

big post

It feels like it’s sometimes more about needing to feel elite and special than it does about liking difficult content.

Well to me, the thought process is that if I do something that’s harder, I should be get something more/better/different because I’m not taking the easy path you know?

As for the rest of your post, that makes me ask a simple question. Would you be more okay with this if it weren’t part of the living story? I can definitely understand your concerns about not having that much less difficult content to do when in comes to these, but when it comes to the rest of the game, it mostly does cater to those who don’t like difficult content. So would it be better if it were just an addition to that permanent world instead? (fyi:I personally think so)

As for how much content there is outside of gauntlet, it’s actually not that little in comparison (though not that much either). You have each little mini area and boss in the pavilion, which isn’t really that much if you don’t grind it, but it’s still 6 bosses and little areas there. Then you also have the open world events like the 5 of the queen’s champions, delegate escorts and the aetherblade attacks and the torch thing for a little side activity. Yes you’re right that it should be more, but I’m assuming that the next half of the living story won’t have anything difficult like the gauntlet and will focus more on the story missions and such. In comparison, the gauntlet only lasts people a good deal of time as content because it’s hard and they fail. It’s 12 timed bosses, a few of which are easy as well, and the bulk of which are middle difficulty and the last third being hard to very hard.

(edited by Navzar.2938)

Sad About Liadri

in Queen's Jubilee

minbariguy.7504

It’s not JUST any mini, it’s THE mini. Besides, you have like a month to get this mini if you really want it.

But I thought it wasn’t about the mini. I thought it was just about being able to enjoy difficult content. Which is it?

Let’s say we made Liadri’s difficulty even harder, but we gave other players an alternative, easier way to obtain the mini. Would you be happy with that?

Basically, I’m asking which is more important to people who want difficult content:

1. The content itself, and the challenge of completing it;
OR
2. Making sure that your rewards for challenging content are exclusive to you and that no one else can have them.

Sad About Liadri

in Queen's Jubilee

minbariguy.7504

As for the rest of your post, that makes me ask a simple question. Would you be more okay with this if it weren’t part of the living story?

Probably. I think the triple-whammy of difficult + grindy (for tickets) + temporary content is particularly unpleasant.

Basically, as long as every LS event isn’t geared towards making sure players find it “challenging”, I think a balance could be found. I’ve played MMO’s for many years now, and I have long ago accepted the fact that there will always be content I’m not skilled enough to do. As long as I’m not made to feel as though I don’t deserve stuff in the game because I’m not as skilled as other players, it’s really no big deal.

To each their own.

Sad About Liadri

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: CryxTryx.9208

CryxTryx.9208

But I thought it wasn’t about the mini. I thought it was just about being able to enjoy difficult content. Which is it?

Let’s say we made Liadri’s difficulty even harder, but we gave other players an alternative, easier way to obtain the mini. Would you be happy with that?

Basically, I’m asking which is more important to people who want difficult content:

1. The content itself, and the challenge of completing it;
OR
2. Making sure that your rewards for challenging content are exclusive to you and that no one else can have them.

I notice that you don’t respond to post that already answer these questions for you so I’ll respond directly to you.

The mini? Are you serious? Who cares about the mini, I’ve never once activated any mini that I’ve recieved, and I only have them from completing achievments.

Give the mini to everyone, take it away entirely, I don’t care, I will still be spending all month trying to beat this chick.

Sad About Liadri

in Queen's Jubilee

minbariguy.7504

The mini? Are you serious? Who cares about the mini, I’ve never once activated any mini that I’ve recieved, and I only have them from completing achievments.

Give the mini to everyone, take it away entirely, I don’t care, I will still be spending all month trying to beat this chick.

I may have given you the wrong impression. I only mentioned the mini in response to another poster mentioning it. Like you, I don’t actually care about the mini, either.

For me, this is just about striking a balance between your need to have a challenge, and my need to have less frustrating content.

Sad About Liadri

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

And like I said, this challenge is limited not just by aptitude but by how much gold you can pay out.

That is absolutely not true.. There is no direct causal link between the gold you pay in the tournament & winning. I’m sure there are some people good enough to get it on the 2nd & 1st try, just because they are better players.

I think we also need some perspective on things too. The way people talk about this it’s like they’ll never get to see their son again as he goes off to a Colombian prison.

(edited by DarksunG.9537)

Sad About Liadri

in Queen's Jubilee

bhagwad.4281

And like I said, this challenge is limited not just by aptitude but by how much gold you can pay out.

That is absolutely not true.. There is no direct causal link between the gold you pay in the tournament & winning. I’m sure there are some people good enough to get it on the 2nd & 1st try, just because they are better players.

I think we also need some perspective on things too. The way people talk about this it’s like they’ll never get to see their son again as he goes off to a Colombian prison.

The mere existence of players who got it in the first or second try does not negate the fact that there’s a connection. If I didn’t have 14g to spare, there’s no way I would have been able to afford the 150 or so tries it took for me to finally beat her.

Sad About Liadri

in Queen's Jubilee

Excalibur.9748

The mere existence of players who got it in the first or second try does not negate the fact that there’s a connection. If I didn’t have 14g to spare, there’s no way I would have been able to afford the 150 or so tries it took for me to finally beat her.

come on cheer up, you got the mini in the end. isn’t it worth it?

All is vain.

Sad About Liadri

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: painHV.3968

painHV.3968

Seems extremely selfish to want 100% of the content to be easy or somewhat challenging, and not even have 0.1% of it be extremely difficult for the people who enjoy that sort of thing.

There’s a million things in the game that you can do and achieve that won’t be ‘frustrating’, why make the 1 challenging content cater specifically to you also?

Just plain selfish.

Sad About Liadri

in Queen's Jubilee

bhagwad.4281

It was a pretty horrible experience and not one that I’m eager to ever repeat again. Two weeks later if Anet brings out more impossible stuff like this, my obsessive need to get loot might just give me a heart attack and die.

I was able to do it this time. What if next time I can’t? Content should be tough in such a way that a dedicated player with time and patience, skill, and the inclination to observe and learn should be able to beat it eventually.

This particular challenge though…seems that some people will never be able to do it no matter what they’re willing to put in.

Sad About Liadri

in Queen's Jubilee

Excalibur.9748

It was a pretty horrible experience and not one that I’m eager to ever repeat again. Two weeks later if Anet brings out more impossible stuff like this, my obsessive need to get loot might just give me a heart attack and die.

I was able to do it this time. What if next time I can’t? Content should be tough in such a way that a dedicated player with time and patience, skill, and the inclination to observe and learn should be able to beat it eventually.

This particular challenge though…seems that some people will never be able to do it no matter what they’re willing to put in.

why do you say that even though you cleared it through patience, skill and inclination to observe and learn eventually? what makes you think others won’t be able to do the same?

All is vain.

Sad About Liadri

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

Always thought that hard work and perseverance will pay off. But not now…

Not to be a jerk, but the idea that “Time Spent” somehow equals – or should be a substitute for – aptitude is an annoyingly common thought process both in gaming and in real life.

I couldn’t agree more. The opening post feels like someone saying, “By playing 18 hours per day every day I can get every reward in this game even if I’m a very bad player, but now I can’t get this miniature unless I’m a skilled player, that’s not fair!”.

This kind of thing is exactly what Guild Wars 2 needs. Finally, we get “skill > time spent” content and rewards. I wish Legendaries were like that, so they would be less of a sign of “who has less of a life outside GW2” and more a sign of “who’s skilled at GW2”.

I haven’t beaten Liadri, I think I won’t even get to her – Chompers kills my guardian before I can kill it. But it doesn’t bother me – I know it’s content that rewards skill, and more skilled players than me can get it, so it’s fine. Having reached where I have reached is enough for me.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Sad About Liadri

in Queen's Jubilee

bhagwad.4281

why do you say that even though you cleared it through patience, skill and inclination to observe and learn eventually? what makes you think others won’t be able to do the same?

1. It’s a time bound event.
2. It costs money – like 13g for me
3. You need top of the line gear. Easy enough for those who’ve been around. But not for others
4. Even if you’re fully geared your build might not be suitable.

Hold this in the heart of the mists and you’ll suddenly see the complaints die out.

Sad About Liadri

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

The mere existence of players who got it in the first or second try does not negate the fact that there’s a connection.

I didn’t say there wasn’t a connection, I said there is no “direct causal link”. Having more money does not cause victory like buying a precursor. And if you can achieve victory the 1st time around then the CAUSE of victory is skill not money. Money makes up for failure.

Also funny to note that the tickets drop off mobs, chests, and you get 6 for free.

Sad About Liadri

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Vayra.3290

Vayra.3290

1. It’s a time bound event.
2. It costs money – like 13g for me
3. You need top of the line gear. Easy enough for those who’ve been around. But not for others
4. Even if you’re fully geared your build might not be suitable.

Hold this in the heart of the mists and you’ll suddenly see the complaints die out.

Costs money? I have about 100 tickets (after about a dozen tries on Liadri) and I haven’t purchased a single one. I’ve gotten them all as drops while making ~60 gold over the past few days.

The Unnamed[ThUn] – Desolation
Vayra – Elementalist
Forkrul Assail – Mesmer

Sad About Liadri

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Inso.2195

Inso.2195

If beating Liandri didnt grant you any special reward (minipet for this time) i guess the casual wont complain if they never beat her and the “leet” wont bother if Anet nerf her. yes?

Sad About Liadri

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Kasei.8726

Kasei.8726

I’ve hardly slept, risked the wrath of my uncomprehending wife and am pretty stressed out.

Read this line again to yourself. Seriously stop playing. Go outside and do something else. Relieving the stress, taking the pressure off, and getting some sleep will probably help you beat her more than anything.

Some of us have an in game routine. The sooner we get through the event the sooner we can go back to our own little corner of the game, and play. Not all of us get fed up with what’s already been established. Some people play a whole bunch of games, some people pick one game they like get really good at it and do everything in it.

What does that have to do with anything I wrote?