Can we please kill Phlunt?

in Living World

Posted by: Cormac.3871

Cormac.3871

So, here’s what I’d like to see. We get word that our Mawdrey 2 backpiece is unstable, so we tell Phlunt that Taimi has discovered a new backpiece and is 87% sure she knows how it works. Falling for the bait Phlunt confiscates it. One night Mawdrey 2 goes wild killing Phlunt and the half of the council that I don’t like. The rampage through Rata Sum is only ended with the release of a new level of SAB, when Mawdrey 2 goes in and becomes a computer addict. Mawdrey 2 is now most often found beside the SAB offering to give items in return for game tokens (or bloodstone dust if you have it).

in Living World

Posted by: loneknight.8425

loneknight.8425

Somehow I feel it’s intentional on Anet writers’ side to make Phlunt (appears?) a more desirable punching bag than Trehearne. After the Droolburt shenanigan, I’d love to see what’s coming for Phlunt.

Secretly hoping that Taimi’s device will mess up the sedition inhibitors of golems at Rata Sum. Good time…

The thief who did dat – Crystal Desert

in Living World

Posted by: OmaiGodman.2098

OmaiGodman.2098

Somehow I feel it’s intentional on Anet writers’ side to make Phlunt (appears?) a more desirable punching bag than Trehearne. After the Droolburt shenanigan, I’d love to see what’s coming for Phlunt.

Secretly hoping that Taimi’s device will mess up the sedition inhibitors of golems at Rata Sum. Good time…

You’re just looking for possible reasons why Phlunt just isn’t a nice guy now aren’t you? :P

I think it’s funny how some people cannot accept that everyone who’s not a vilain, can’t automatically be a hug-o-tron 5000.

Any plan that involves dead quaggans is, by design, foolproof. I’m an unmitigated genius!

in Living World

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

I just don’t understand why the Pact Commander didn’t confiscate Taimi’s device on the grounds that it was directly related to combatting a dragon and on the grounds that there was nothing Phlunt could do about it.

Then WE could have added the stipulation “now that you know it works, show up to the conference and I may let you look at how it works”.

When dealing with Asura, you must be aggressive in your negotiations. They do not respect passivity.

Server: Devona’s Rest

in Living World

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

I just don’t understand why the Pact Commander didn’t confiscate Taimi’s device on the grounds that it was directly related to combatting a dragon and on the grounds that there was nothing Phlunt could do about it.

Then WE could have added the stipulation “now that you know it works, show up to the conference and I may let you look at how it works”.

When dealing with Asura, you must be aggressive in your negotiations. They do not respect passivity.

I think it’s an element of asuran law. Taimi is still considered a minor, so it is fully within Phlunt’s jurisdiction to confiscate any and all of her inventions until she comes of age. Actually, this might make for a really interesting asuran lawyer NPC who can explain what rights progeny do and don’t have.

I think trying to bribe… blackmail? wait, I got it – use the device as leverage over Phlunt would just make him more hostile in the end. For one thing, he’s not the friendliest asura out there (but not the most hostile, at least!) and we do need to convince him so in that respect, he has the upper hand. Also, I think you’re confusing asura for norn. Norn only respect someone who displays great strength, whether that be physical, mental, or in spirit. Asura, meanwhile, think they are the smartest person in the room, generally, even among their own kind and most DEFINITELY when dealing with other races. So it’s not about taking a hard line with him, but thinking 2 moves ahead. If you outsmart an asura, you have his attention.

I just realized that Phlunt, and quite possibly many asura, can be seen akin to Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory. Now yes, you may want to throttle the guy, but he does have some (very few) redeeming qualities about him. (For one thing, Phlunt isn’t Inquest… probably.) Just provide him with a scenario he can’t weasel out of or force him to make the choice you want, and you’ll get it in the end. In fact, the best way of persuading him would be to make it seem like he came up with the idea, and then he’d happily comply. The trouble is getting to that stage isn’t always easy.

in Living World

loneknight.8425

You’re just looking for possible reasons why Phlunt just isn’t a nice guy now aren’t you? :P

Heh, you can put it that way XD

I went through the dialogues a few times, without skipping. With audio on, Phlunt sounds like a jaded has-been/attention kitten, who is envious of Taimi’s ability to attain achievement at young age, and he just want to deny Taimi her joy. A textbook kitten.

With audio off, however, just based on the words, I choose to interpret Phlunt as a typical by-the-book pencil pusher, who is trying his utmost to keep a young loose cannon under control. His decision to confiscate Taimi’s device is result of his general distrust of Taimi, properly due to her behavior/conduct or her young age.

I don’t know, maybe the tone of Phlunt’s VA is deliberate to make him the current walking target board :p

in Living World

Posted by: WalkinGoon.2408

WalkinGoon.2408

For Taimi and co, it was a breakthrough in understanding how the elder dragon powers work through the innovative Waypoint Relocation Device, and potentially the last chance re-reunite the races of Tyria to save the world once more.

For Councilor Phlunt, it was a Tuesday morning.

What I’m trying to say is, I’d rather see Destiny’s Edge #2 killed off and the living story become the Excellent Adventures of Faren and Chauncey (the Third).

PS- bring back Dinky.

in Living World

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

I wouldn’t mind putting the axe to Phlunt. Who needs diplomacy anyway? My solution to fight the elder dragons is better, anyway:

Step 1. Find the bones of my GW1 assassin.

Step 2. Revive assassin.

Step 3. Let assassin do all of the work.

in Living World

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

For those who want to main Phlunt you can petition for this little game (https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Suggestion-Asuraball-Make-this-official/4438817) to become official and then petition to make the ball look like Phlunt. Story wise it could be a petty vengeance from Taimi where she creates golems/holograms that look like Phlunt for the game.

EverythingOP

in Living World

Posted by: kyubi.3620

kyubi.3620

From a villain design Plunt is hardly more then a regular politician. I mean I can easily see a president justifying a war under false pretence. The same way phlunt or whataver is his blasted name confisc Teimi invention under the pretense that she is just a kid but in truth intend to study it so that he can himself get an improved model out and reap all the glory. Its the principe of Lawful evil you do things by the book but you use law to back your bad deeds which in turns gives us two option either is to become lawless criminals like Robin hood or to do nothing and try to eventually pin him down for one of his mistakes because in theory he legitimately has the right to do so and we have both of our hands tied until we can actually catch him doing something out of the book because he’s eventually going to make an error. The same reason Caudecus can abuse law and regulation to justify the ministry guard all while pretending he never had a hand in anything Phlunt can also abuse law to justify stealing stuff.

Crystal Desert, The Darknest Community P.E.T.A.
BM: I want to present you my lovely jingle bear mia
If pet had voices: Mommy, I did it! :3

in Living World

Posted by: Scott McGough

Scott McGough

Narrative Lead

For those who want to main Phlunt you can petition for this little game (https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Suggestion-Asuraball-Make-this-official/4438817) to become official and then petition to make the ball look like Phlunt. Story wise it could be a petty vengeance from Taimi where she creates golems/holograms that look like Phlunt for the game.

This is a fun idea—I can’t promise it’ll be anything other than an idea, but if we ever were to go forward with it, I would push hard for it to be called “Punt Phlunt.”

—Scott McG

in Living World

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

This is a fun idea—I can’t promise it’ll be anything other than an idea, but if we ever were to go forward with it, I would push hard for it to be called “Punt Phlunt.”

(tries his best Sarge voice): “This is the best game since Grifball”

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

in Living World

Posted by: virtualtourist.6438

virtualtourist.6438

Taimi should invent Tyria’s first ever Bowel Disruptor gun (http://www.comicvine.com/bowel-disruptor/4055-56018/) and test fire it on Phlunt using the “unspeakable gut horror” setting.

in Living World

loneknight.8425

(tries his best Sarge voice): “This is the best game since Grifball”

Simmon: “Shotgun!”
Grif: “Shotgun! …kitten*!”
Donut: “Shotgun’s lap!”
Simmon: “kitten*!”

This gives me an idea – during pre-match, whoever shout “BOOKAH!” first will have the first go XD

in Living World

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

I hear it’s already a sport in Norn country.

in Living World

Posted by: Roybe.5896

Roybe.5896

This….must….happen.

http://data3.whicdn.com/images/48934571/large.gif

Attachments:

in Living World

Posted by: BrettM.9062

BrettM.9062

I fully agree. The Pact should be demanding this device, since it could attract Mordremoth to a place and time of the Pact’s choosing, allowing them to pick the field of battle for a change instead of just responding to attacks. The ability to take the offensive will be crucial to the final defeat of Mordremoth, and Taimi’s device could provide that ability. Perhaps this will be a plot point in a future episode, where Trahearne sends you to Rata to confront Phlunt and obtain it. We can only hope.

I was really galled by having my character forced to spout “for the greater good” nonsense at Taimi instead of schooling Phlunt on the consequences to his people if he chose to go it alone instead of coming to the summit. (Ayn Rand’s graveyard friends started calling her “Whirligig Ayn” after she heard about this incident.) I really wanted to stand up for Taimi here instead of talking her into surrendering. Her question about the merits of rewarding evil was an excellent one that should have given us pause.

At the very least, we should be publicizing Phlunt’s actions throughout Rata. What do you suppose the rest of the asura would do if they knew that he was willing to sacrifice their welfare if he could not personally profit from the situation?

in Living World

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

The Pact has no business operating a device that interferes with waypoints. Waypoints aren’t theirs to mess with. What’s next? Giving the Pact access to the Krytan treasury?

in Living World

kyubi.3620

well yes and give them the latest black citadel siege engine plan too :P oh right they already got them

in Living World

Posted by: Ragnar the Rock.3174

Ragnar the Rock.3174

fine, fine, kill Phlunt, we don’t need the asura to fight the elder dragons

To be more precice we need no other race to fight the dragons. Killing an ambassador is political suicide and I don’t think the other races would work with us when they see that we killed an ambassador.

We could always kill him & make it look like Mordrimoth did it.

in Living World

Posted by: Prophet.6257

Prophet.6257

Ah don’t kill him.

Let’s just make him 100% evil. Maybe he can murder Kasmeer. Or turn out to be in the new White Mantle.

in Living World

BrettM.9062

I can see it now, browsing book carts in GW3 and finding a copy of I was a Thrall of the Mursaat, by Phlunt.

in Living World

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

The number of threads I have seen along of the lines of, “I don’t like this person. Please let me kill them.” kinda makes me worried about what you people do in real life when you encounter troublesome personalities.

in Living World

BrettM.9062

We bottle up our distaste and rage until we can find a game that lets us kill a troublesome personality in creative ways. It’s called “catharsis”. Which reminds me. Nazeem is due for a little comeupance. Excuse me a minute …

in Living World

kyubi.3620

Nazeem: Do you ever go to the cloud district oh that’s true of course you don’t.
Me: I got twice your money got 1 home in each single town as well as my own manor and a full daedric set yet you little misers purse still dare call me poor? I feel im gonna… (FUS ROH DAH!)

in Living World

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

Phlunt? Taimi is the annoying, petulant, cheap pet character.

in Living World

Posted by: DarkusTheFirst.6890

DarkusTheFirst.6890

what about his bodyguards? would you also kill a number of innocent asura so they won’t tell anyone you killed their employee because he was somewhat of a jerk?

you sure that trip in omadd’s machine didn’t have any unintended effects?

I think it’s funny how we have achievements for killing thousands of sentient beings (bandits, inquest, centaurs, etc.) yet we bring a “story” character into the equation and suddenly it’s, “Moral quandary of the century!”

“Oh, but Labjax, those are bad guys.” How do you know? Did you go try to make peace with them? Did you ask all the peons if they’re a fan of the constant fighting and death?

That’s what I thought. Now let me punt Phlunt off a cliff like a football. :P

Bandits lit an orphanage on fire. Inquest abduct and experiment on live creatures. Bandits sell fellow humans to centaurs.
I’m not having a dialogue with arsonists. I have no pity for torturers. I’ll not weep for slavers.

Phlunt took candy from a baby. A dangerous piece of candy. By law.
Phlunt has everything you need, you have nothing he wants.

If we have nothing Phlunt wants, then how about the entirety of the Pact and all its untied forces stop protecting him and his home?

Oh yeah, thatts right, The Asura are kitten that ran away from a SINGLE Dragon’s CHAMPION. I am sure they could handlt teh DIRECT intrusion of Mordremoth.

We have Nothing that Phlunt wants at all.

in Living World

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

I’m just going to be blunt about Phlunt. He’s a c***. I wish I could punt that runt.

in Living World

Posted by: RashanDale.3609

RashanDale.3609

Phlunt? Taimi is the annoying, petulant, cheap pet character.

I agree. Phlunt isnt more annoying than any other rat. And at least he showed Taimi where her kittening place is.

Taimi is far more annoying.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
Gunnar’s Hold

(edited by RashanDale.3609)

in Living World

Posted by: MacKela.7024

MacKela.7024

I know!
Kill Phlunt. Make it look like Marjory and the others killed him and frame Trahearne as the mastermind. Finally my character could have his own story!

in Living World

Posted by: Varkros.4158

Varkros.4158

I know!
Kill Phlunt. Make it look like Marjory and the others killed him and frame Trahearne as the mastermind. Finally my character could have his own story!

Then my character can see all this from the shrubs since he moves slow and isn’t very tall (Asura). Then I can have a new archenemy and before starting a fight I get tangled and snagged in the shrubs.

Panic sets in as MacKela scurries off to spread the misinformation. Finally getting free of the clutching shrubbery (where are the Knights Who Say Ni when you need them?) I trip and arms flailing I land right on Phlunts murder scene just Braham strolls up.

Pain in his eyes, “Boss…how could you…” as he frees his mace. Knowing Brahams thick skull I dash off instead of attempting to explain…

Cut scene ends. Living Story Part 6: MacKela’s Lies begins

Will you prove your innocence and take down MacKela or will you end up like Scarlet?

Tune in next chapter. Same Asuara time. Same Char Channel.

in Living World

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

You have to consider the very special nature of Asuras as a culture. As ATM says, they are not fond of administration, negociation and politics. They only value knowledge, actively used knowledge, and despise everything else. I would not go so far as to say they are truly amoral, but yes, their moral is not about the bland “good” and “bad” stuff other cultures dumbly try to use as guides.

Once you see this, you understand Phlunt is someone the Asura NEED. He acts unfairly, and exploit Taimi’s talent for his own benefit… but he does so because he can’t follow a true Asura life: he can’t investigate, invent and theorize on his own. He dirties his hands doing the work no other Asura will ever do. He is resentful and bitter because he is a prisoner of his rank. Yet he does his job outstandingly: he can make the Asura stop their eternal debate and let aside their precious personal goals, he can make them work toghether and be effective.

Taimi know this, and the commander too: rejecting Phlunt would only make things harder for everyone, because there is no other willing and capable to do this work. Killing Phlunt would throw the council, and the whole Asuran “society” into caos, and turn Rata Sum into Dalaran (Gigantic power, totally useless city).

TLDR: For the Asura, governing is dirty work no one is willing to do it. Phlunt is the rare dark gem who accepts that kittenty job and do it well, so the rest of the Asura can be happy. It’s no surprise someone in that position behaves like a mafia boss. It is a requirement for the job. Even geniuses like Zojja and Taimi will be totally incapable of ruling the Asura: they know it and are thankful they don’t have to.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks