[Spoiler-ish] So Belinda is...

in Living World

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

…a ghost watching over Fort Salma? kitten . When you try to interact with her, she vanishes.

Probably has been posted already, but I didn’t see a thread when looking to the first pages quickly.

Attachments:

in Living World

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Neat find, I didn’t see that. Didn’t expect them to make her a ghost….now I’m kind wondering why they didn’t do that for our Order mentors, or any of the other notable characters who die. Oh well…

It’d have been awesome to see Forgal’s ghost still on Claw Island, fighting off the undead inside, until we retook it, at which point his soul would be at peace and pass into the Mists, or even sometimes have ghosts of the characters that died in your Personal Story “haunting” your Home Instances at night or something.

in Living World

Posted by: Ignavia.7420

Ignavia.7420

Neat find, I didn’t see that. Didn’t expect them to make her a ghost….now I’m kind wondering why they didn’t do that for our Order mentors, or any of the other notable characters who die. Oh well…

It’d have been awesome to see Forgal’s ghost still on Claw Island, fighting off the undead inside, until we retook it, at which point his soul would be at peace and pass into the Mists, or even sometimes have ghosts of the characters that died in your Personal Story “haunting” your Home Instances at night or something.

Kind of reminds me of Harry Potter where you could only come back as a ghost if you chose to do so. Maybe Sieran, Tybalt and Forgal just preferred to move on.

in Living World

NovaanVerdiano.6174

They probably didn’t do it because they ended up as Risen in an event in Bloodtide Coast.

in Living World

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

Actually, in Mount Maelstrom, you find the ghost of a Vigil (?) captain whose body was supposedly turned into a Risen… so apparently, the two can be separated.

in Living World

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

I don’t think non-humans can become ghosts. At least, they have a tougher time of it. Humans are constantly going ghosty.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in Living World

NovaanVerdiano.6174

I don’t think non-humans can become ghosts. At least, they have a tougher time of it. Humans are constantly going ghosty.

That makes sense too. Come to think of it, a Sylvari ghost would be quite weird I guess.

in Living World

Nilkemia.8507

They probably didn’t do it because they ended up as Risen in an event in Bloodtide Coast.

Eh, no they didn’t. That event only happens with Seiran’s death, and Sylvari don’t become Risen. That was a mission to avenge her death. The Sovereign Eye claims that they’re Risen now as you fight him, but since we don’t actually fight a Risen Forgal/Tybalt (and as before, Seiran couldn’t get Risen’d), it was probably a lie.

in Living World

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

There are also Norn ghosts in Cursed Shore, so humans aren’t the only ones.

From the wiki:

Most restless spirits have some sort of reason for hanging around a place: an unfinished task, a wrong that needs righting, and so on. They’re often coherent, and you can hold a reasonable conversation with them. They can be obsessive, or angry, but they’re sane—sane for ghosts, at least.

Something is holding her back from going into the Mist. What could it be?

in Living World

Posted by: Cartheb.4861

Cartheb.4861

Eh, no they didn’t. That event only happens with Seiran’s death, and Sylvari don’t become Risen. That was a mission to avenge her death. The Sovereign Eye claims that they’re Risen now as you fight him, but since we don’t actually fight a Risen Forgal/Tybalt (and as before, Seiran couldn’t get Risen’d), it was probably a lie.

You can get the event for Tybalt and Forgal too
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Kill_the_Risen_commander_to_avenge_Tybalt
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Kill_the_Risen_commander_to_avenge_Forgal

Beware the Dark Lord Poobadoo

in Living World

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

Kind of reminds me of Harry Potter where you could only come back as a ghost if you chose to do so. Maybe Sieran, Tybalt and Forgal just preferred to move on.

But I miss Forgal… can’t he come back and mentor me some more?

in Living World

NovaanVerdiano.6174

Oh, never really did the event, only saw the description in the upper right corner. Must have mixed something up then. Thanks for clearing that up.

in Living World

Posted by: Sad Swordfish.9743

Sad Swordfish.9743

Where is her Katana??? I NEED HER KATANA!!

in Living World

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

From the wiki:

Most restless spirits have some sort of reason for hanging around a place: an unfinished task, a wrong that needs righting, and so on. They’re often coherent, and you can hold a reasonable conversation with them. They can be obsessive, or angry, but they’re sane—sane for ghosts, at least.

My guess?

Either Marjory is doing/did something and/or Belinda will play some fairly major role soon. Anet doesn’t normally do stealth changes like this and never do anything with them, not to mention the fact that this was added in the very same episode dealing with ghosts.

(edited by Celestina.2894)

in Living World

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

She never had a Katana in the first place. She had an Odachi

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

in Living World

Posted by: Vexander.9850

Vexander.9850

Rytlock messing with the Curse of Ascalon has clearly spread it’s influence further, and now the recently dead are coming back as Ghosts!

in Living World

Posted by: perilisk.1874

perilisk.1874

Didn’t Marjory’s story start off with some ghost-related shenanigans?

Maybe part 2 will deal with the White Mantle (we already dealt with Norn, Charr, and Asuran issues, but securing the queen’s attendance was not featured), or at least the ghost plot in her backstory?

Ceterum censeo Sentim Punicam esse delendam

in Living World

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

That makes sense too. Come to think of it, a Sylvari ghost would be quite weird I guess.

Because we don’t even know if Sylvari have souls. If we’d actually see a Sylvari ghost, that would be another mystery solved!

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

in Living World

Posted by: JusticarArkiel.1564

JusticarArkiel.1564

Didn’t Marjory’s story start off with some ghost-related shenanigans?

Maybe part 2 will deal with the White Mantle (we already dealt with Norn, Charr, and Asuran issues, but securing the queen’s attendance was not featured), or at least the ghost plot in her backstory?

queen jennah basically said yes right off the bat according to kasmeer, so in that case there wouldn’t be a securing of her attendance

Fix what you have before you build something new

in Living World

Posted by: sharkstein.2109

sharkstein.2109

Well at least she is not a mad Ascalonian ghost, amirite?

“Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness”.
— Every heartbroken Guild Wars fan on GW2

in Living World

Posted by: Narg.2954

Narg.2954

Marjory is top class necromancer, she can summon ghost any time she want :P

in Living World

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

From the wiki:

Her need to give us that sword?

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

in Living World

Posted by: OmaiGodman.2098

OmaiGodman.2098

From the wiki:

We haven’t told her about all our cool adventures yet as we promised just before she left

Any plan that involves dead quaggans is, by design, foolproof. I’m an unmitigated genius!

in Living World

Posted by: Gutek.1534

Gutek.1534

Well at least she is not a mad Ascalonian ghost, amirite?

Doesn’t she have the same blue glow that Ascalonian ghosts have while other ghosts are usually white?

You betwitched me, you evil magpie! -Chhk the Windmill King

in Living World

Posted by: Sorann Peace.9056

Sorann Peace.9056

I think this is a hint at something coming in the near future. Perhaps in part 2 of the Dragon’s Reach? Seems interesting, to say the least.

in Living World

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

Well she died rather quickly, maybe Grenth and Balth laughed her back into the world?
“Come back when you die better!”
Or possibly she’s still looking for her sword, haunting all the players who coveted such a treasure.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

in Living World

Posted by: Thobek.1730

Thobek.1730

It’d have been awesome to see Forgal’s ghost still on Claw Island, fighting off the undead inside, until we retook it, at which point his soul would be at peace and pass into the Mists

My god that is a good idea!

sign me up to do that quest to free my old mentor immediately!!

in Living World

Posted by: Vexander.9850

Vexander.9850

Perhaps Belinda will help us find Rytlock? And we’ll get help from out Mentors too.

in Living World

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

My guess is that her “ghost” is simply going to relate to Marjory contacting her in some way, not that she’s just going to be freely hanging out like the Ascalonian ghosts or anything.

Then again, there WAS a book in the ley line hub talking about ghosts and their possible relation to energy. And the devs have said that if they place something in the world it probably means something, or will somewhere down the line. So there could definitely be more to it than that.

in Living World

Posted by: Vagrant.7206

Vagrant.7206

As far as ghosts, humans are the predominant race to have ghosts because of the Foefire. Norn have been seen to have them, but that’s the result of a powerful force ripping their bodies from their souls (Zhaitan).

Sylvari are magical in nature, and incorruptible by dragons — they cannot become ghosts or Risen (I don’t even think they can become undead). I believe there are rare charr ghosts (the loggers in the forest) and I haven’t heard of an Asuran ghost yet. Jotun have been observed as ghosts too: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Veteran_Jotun_Spirit

TL;DR Ghosts are a result of a powerful magic being or spell.

This suggest that either Mordremoth or Marjory is the reason why Belinda is now a ghost.

The great god Lagki demands sacrifice.

(edited by Vagrant.7206)

in Living World

Posted by: I Am Dansker.7105

I Am Dansker.7105

Sylvari are magical in nature, and incorruptible by dragons

Actually that isn’t true as they are being corrupted right now by mordremoth, though those under the protection of the pale tree are safe (according to the pale tree)

As for her reason to be back, i hope it is for more than just handing over her sword, though i wouldn’t mind that either :P

Far Shiverpeaks

in Living World

Nilkemia.8507

Oola shows up as a ghost in the Old Oola lab (though, she had to bind her soul to one her golems, yet its destruction didn’t cause her to fade). Aside from that, no other Asuran ghosts that I know of….and even though there are no Sylvari ghosts so far, they’re implied to have souls (Soul/Avatar of the Pale Tree, the ritual where you see Riannoc’s death involves connecting with his spirit in the swamp, Caithe appearing as a spirit in the Dream in the starting quest). Still, I wish they’d be a bit more clear on why some races have ghosts more then others…blasted bookahs.

in Living World

Posted by: Vagrant.7206

Vagrant.7206

Actually that isn’t true as they are being corrupted right now by mordremoth, though those under the protection of the pale tree are safe (according to the pale tree)

As for her reason to be back, i hope it is for more than just handing over her sword, though i wouldn’t mind that either :P

Are you sure about that? When I say corruption, I mean dragon corruption (like the branded, icebrood, or the risen). I’ve never observed a corrupted sylvari.

The only “corrupted” part of Scarlet and the assasin was their minds (which means they had psychotic breaks, not actual dragon corruption).

The game hints that the Sylvari may be incorruptible because they originated from a dragon’s power in the first place (meaning you can’t corrupt something that was corrupted in the first place).

Oola shows up as a ghost in the Old Oola lab (though, she had to bind her soul to one her golems, yet its destruction didn’t cause her to fade). Aside from that, no other Asuran ghosts that I know of….and even though there are no Sylvari ghosts so far, they’re implied to have souls (Soul/Avatar of the Pale Tree, the ritual where you see Riannoc’s death involves connecting with his spirit in the swamp, Caithe appearing as a spirit in the Dream in the starting quest). Still, I wish they’d be a bit more clear on why some races have ghosts more then others…blasted bookahs.

True, I hadn’t done the Asuran storyline quests so I never interacted with Oola.

The great god Lagki demands sacrifice.

(edited by Vagrant.7206)

in Living World

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

Are you sure about that? When I say corruption, I mean dragon corruption (like the branded, icebrood, or the risen). I’ve never observed a corrupted sylvari.

The only “corrupted” part of Scarlet and the assasin was their minds (which means they had psychotic breaks, not actual dragon corruption).

The game hints that the Sylvari may be incorruptible because they originated from a dragon’s power in the first place (meaning you can’t corrupt something that was corrupted in the first place).

Where did you see such hints? The origin of the Sylvari is unknown so far. There’s just as many arguments against this theory.

Also, the game literally shows us that multiple corruptions can occur in the same subject. Being corrupted does not grant you immunity to other corruption.

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

in Living World

NovaanVerdiano.6174

True, I hadn’t done the Asuran storyline quests so I never interacted with Oola.

I’m not even sure if that was a story quest as there is an event where you access Oola’s lab. It’s at her skill point and you need a special item which randomly drops in Metrica for it.

in Living World

Posted by: MrIllusion.5304

MrIllusion.5304

Come on, we know what’s going to happen next episode:

Belinda: <Name>, tell sis I said ‘hi’.

Belinda: Here take this. You’ll get more use out of it than me now.

You receive 1 Belinda’s Nodachi.

in Living World

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

5 million players are lusting after her “assets”. And by assets, I mean “sword”. Because we’re geeks.

in Living World

Posted by: Crazy Penguin.3568

Crazy Penguin.3568

Like many said:
Majory is a necromancer
Kasmeer wasn’t allowed to go with her
Kasmeer said that she missed the funeral

Something is happening to that body

in Living World

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

You can get the event for Tybalt and Forgal too
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Kill_the_Risen_commander_to_avenge_Tybalt
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Kill_the_Risen_commander_to_avenge_Forgal

AND in the Forgal and Tybalt events, the Risen commander is always a norn and a charr

99% of people don’t care about details of the EXACT style of sword.

Maybe part 2 will deal with the White Mantle (we already dealt with Norn, Charr, and Asuran issues, but securing the queen’s attendance was not featured),

The queen’s attendance wasn’t in the front because Kryta’s major issues have been dealt with. Norn and Charr have pressing threats, while the bandits are reduced (cause Cauducus living with Jennah and being unable to direct them) and the Centaurs pushed back. So humanity doesn’t have to worry AS much.

(edited by Kalavier.1097)

in Living World

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

I think this is a hint at something coming in the near future. Perhaps in part 2 of the Dragon’s Reach? Seems interesting, to say the least.

It likely is, it’s very unusual for Anet not to add something like this in and do nothing with it.

in Living World

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

ssdn

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

in Living World

Posted by: Jaymee.1560

Jaymee.1560

ssdn

Detail, details…

I use to be a Ritualist and a Paragon in my former life…

in Living World

Posted by: Godravage.4692

Godravage.4692

Where is this Belinda ghost? Does she appear at certain times of the day or is she always there?

in Living World

NovaanVerdiano.6174

Where is this Belinda ghost? Does she appear at certain times of the day or is she always there?

I assume she’s always there, standing at Fort Salma where you enter during the quest in Ep2

in Living World

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

99% of people don’t care about details of the EXACT style of sword.

If that is the case why not just say “long sword” or “kitten sword” or for that matter just “sword.” All are equally close.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

in Living World

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

I really hope this isn’t a “Belinda and Marjory are special snowflakes” plot. People die in Tyria all the time, becoming a ghost isn’t that common. Why would Belinda become a ghost when other characters are dying in similar situations and not becoming ghosts?

in Living World

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

because kasmeer can sense lies

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

in Living World

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

If that is the case why not just say “long sword” or “kitten sword” or for that matter just “sword.” All are equally close.

I can understand pointing out an error naming it if the swords are physically distinct. IE, if somebody called a straight blade a scimitar.

But, as I recall, isn’t long sword also used to describe some ‘great sword’ style blades?

kitten sword (yay censor) and long swords (as we know them in terms of fantasy) also tended to be similar IIRC.

This is a case of going after somebody because they use the most common type of blade in that style name. My glance at wikipedia explicitly said that sword after a while tended to be used for ceremonial purposes only, so likely few overall even KNOW about it. I certainly didn’t until the name complaints. In the end, The only difference I saw between the two was that one was longer and couldn’t be sheathed at the waist. Otherwise, exact same style blade.

I really hope this isn’t a “Belinda and Marjory are special snowflakes” plot. People die in Tyria all the time, becoming a ghost isn’t that common. Why would Belinda become a ghost when other characters are dying in similar situations and not becoming ghosts?

I fail to see how it’s “special snowflake” plot at all. We have a ghost in queensdale who died and watches over her family farm at her own request to grenth.

We know that a chunk of ghosts happen because of something keeping them grounded on the world until it’s done/dealt with, or simply the person died SO FAST they didn’t even notice.