Transmutation Stones for Q4 results?

in A Very Merry Wintersday

Posted by: dbgamer.3407

dbgamer.3407

The forums seem full of comments about how hideous the new ascended armor models are, regardless of the race/gender combination.

The main reason people seem to come up with is that ANET released this horrible armor with the intention to boost sales of gems to purchase transmutation stones.

I’m an optimist, and find it hard to believe that such a despicable ploy would be possible from a large company who seems to care about their player-base. I can’t accept that this would have to do with something like quarterly results. However, I’m really really confused as to how this armor got past your QA team?

If the armor is getting this much negative feedback (and has been since the codes were leaked several weeks ago) why was this not realized by the ANET team as well?

The only conclusion people can jump to is the transmute stones. ANET please say it ain’t so.

If it was a QA issue, please, please, ensure you get a better system in place for ensuring only quality items/armor/weapons are going out the door. With the saturation of legendary weapons and the declining interest in the current theme of content, I’d say you need to keep players acutely interested in new items.

Thanks.

Arkenell of Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Waldir.2571

Waldir.2571

I gotta say that I fel in love with the company that created gw1. I followed them to gw2 with blind faith, while I once considered myself a fanboy my faith is slowly declining with every patch. Its not the same company it once was… The armor/stone speculation, while I don’t want to believe it… It could be true.

Posted by: Mireles Lore.5942

Mireles Lore.5942

The vast majority of the armor in this game is ugly. Ugly ascended armor might be because they can sell stones, but it could also be because they are horrible at making armor art.

Director – Xunlai Heroic Service Agents [XHSA] | Yak’s Bend
http://xunlaiheroes.wix.com/xhsa

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

I think they just decided that opinions on armour are subjective and that all the negative feedback on the new skins was just one opinion, other players would like them. Even if most people disliked the new armour skin, I doubt they intended for most people to keep it over every other appearance in the game.

I wouldn’t accuse them of money grubbing or a cash grab over this (there are several other areas where that argument is much stronger) but it does seem to me like a flawed design. The reality is probably that most players won’t like those skins and most of them probably purchased transmutation stones to transmute old skins onto, at the time, best in slot gear that was made redundant this patch. It seems to me a superior design would be to craft an item than can apply stats to any skin (like the opposite of a skin item) or be turned into the ascended skin. That seems a lot fairer to me.

Posted by: rjnemer.7816

rjnemer.7816

LOL, rare tier 3 cultural armor isnt enough proof?

“If you want to get rid of “zerk” you have to make content
hard enough to make them cry, not just rivers but oceans."

Posted by: Facepunch.5710

Facepunch.5710

I think they just decided that opinions on armour are subjective and that all the negative feedback on the new skins was just one opinion, other players would like them.

Yeah, I think this hits the nail on the head. If you really look at the armors, they do look to be carefully made. The meshes are well done, nice detail work is present, the textures are similarly detailed… tastes aside, they are quality sets. There’s no reason why a QA team should be blamed for dropping the ball here, IMO. They’re just ugly. Really ugly.

Please take your tinfoil hats off and be reasonable. ~ReginaB
This forum is a wretched hive of scum and villainy. ~DevilLordLaser

Posted by: Danicco.3568

Danicco.3568

That’s one assumption.
Another one would be that whoever is designing the armor/clothes… just isn’t fit for designing armor/clothes.

In my humble opinion it’s been a while since I last saw a decent, cool looking fantasy medieval fitting armor/look.

Maybe… they should improve their design team?

Waldir.2571

That’s one assumption.
Another one would be that whoever is designing the armor/clothes… just isn’t fit for designing armor/clothes.

In my humble opinion it’s been a while since I last saw a decent, cool looking fantasy medieval fitting armor/look.

I agree with this 100%. It is sad that everyone is asking for Guild Wars 1 Skins so badly because of the lack of quality coming form Gw2 Skins.

dbgamer.3407

That’s one assumption.

I agree with this 100%. It is sad that everyone is asking for Guild Wars 1 Skins so badly because of the lack of quality coming form Gw2 Skins.

Yea, I agree with both of your thoughts here – perhaps it’s not the QA team but rather the designers. Perhaps it’s time to expand the team or bring in some new blood.

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

That’s one assumption.

Tbh, GW1 wasn’t exactly amazing in terms of armor design either. Obsidian armor was the ugliest thing I’ve ever seen in a game, ever.

Posted by: rjnemer.7816

rjnemer.7816

That’s one assumption.

Tbh, GW1 wasn’t exactly amazing in terms of armor design either. Obsidian armor was the ugliest thing I’ve ever seen in a game, ever.

Only the warrior obby armor was ugly (But then you had elite kurzick, licks lips, for that).

“If you want to get rid of “zerk” you have to make content
hard enough to make them cry, not just rivers but oceans."

Xae Isareth.1364

That’s one assumption.

Only the warrior obby armor was ugly (But then you had elite kurzick, licks lips, for that).

That’s quite subjective. I think they were all ugly as heck.

The only armor set which I can recall was amazing for me was Lich’s Raiment and Jora’s armor sets.

Posted by: Thaia.5146

Thaia.5146

I’m looking at my T3 right now aaaaaaaaaaand… it’s not Ascended.
http://i.imgur.com/bw5fwDU.jpg
Just kidding. I get it but… shouldn’t we at least receive Transmutation Crystals to transmute it to Ascended stats? It was already expensive as hell. Seriously…

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

It may simply be a case of bad art direction. Because I know there’s plenty of talent among the art team. But eventually someone has to decide on the final look of the armors. Bad art direction would also explain why GW2’s combat is such a graphical mess (can anyone see what’s going on when everyone is casting spells at once?).

Either way, ascended armor will be receiving an instant transmute from me….if I had any of those blasted Transmutation Crystals.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: Selenya.6410

Selenya.6410

That’s one assumption.

The only armor set which I can recall was amazing for me was Lich’s Raiment and Jora’s armor sets.

Errrrrr, not really, Mesmer, Monk, Ele, Para and Necro obsidian here. I wish them to be added here too, expecially for my ele , I’d like to have some plate look rather to have just a leather one -.- (I totally agree over obby on war, ugh)
Many armors set in GW1 were pretty much desiderable, the same thing can’t be said here sadly, where for some class/race its kinda sad you can’t just see yourself fitting in more than 2-3 sets, although many around. And this ascended armor is also terrible looking omg, really… why…

Nexon = Advanced Cancer

Posted by: Shpongle.6025

Shpongle.6025

i can’t keep up i dont have money for them, or ascended crafting

Are you Shpongled?

Posted by: Whitey.6185

Whitey.6185

For some reason, it really bugs me that people keep saying transmutation stones. It’s crystals for 80 gear, not stones.

Now that’s off my chest, I doubt they made this armour with the thought of driving crystal sales in their mind. After all, the only decent looking armour set they have added to the game is Magitech set.

Posted by: Shades.4572

Shades.4572

Just saying I am kind of glad that the armor is semi on the ugly side, depending on taste. Think about it for a minute if the armor has the best stats AND the best looking everyone would be going for it and we would have a ton of clones everywhere. So since they are semi distasteful people are still encouraged to go for other armor sets. Or maybe I am alone in thinking like that…

Posted by: Protoavis.9107

Protoavis.9107

To be fair, with medium armor I can see what they were trying to do, they didn’t do a trench coat.

All 3 sets are highly detailed (may need to set your settings up) compared with most armor in game….it’s just they aren’t that impressive. I can see the medium gear being used (by virtue of it not being a trench coat) but I don’t think we’ll be seeing many of the others around beyond people “showing off”.

All I can say is hurray half my armor is just a skin from the wvw armor vendor :P

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

These aren’t that bad, though it depends on the coloring. Use several conflicting bright colors, and they look extremely ugly. Use toned complementing hues, and the armors suddenly turn out way better.

With one important exception. What the kitten is with those helmets??? Those are a complete joke.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: arkealia.2713

arkealia.2713

Just compare Aion (NCSoft, GW2’s publisher) and GW2 armors. It’s Night and Day

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

Game needs some community armor and weapon art contests every 3 months, staggered 6 weeks apart.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Waldir.2571

Game needs some community armor and weapon art contests every 3 months, staggered 6 weeks apart.

That would be awesome… In gw1 some of the best weapon skins came from contests. I am rather surpriced they aren’t doing it here.

Posted by: bOgz.7263

bOgz.7263

This is what we get when we complain about good looking armor skins

Flamekissed

Posted by: lakdav.3694

lakdav.3694

The quaggan pearl-weapons were my first clue. Gods bless my heritage skins from GW1 archivements.

Ill say it again, though i know full well it will never happen:

Transmutation stones need to be upgradeable to crystals in the mystic forge.

Posted by: SageGaspar.5012

SageGaspar.5012

Personally I don’t think Anet skimps on effort. All of their content updates have had absolutely beautiful artwork in them. I spend probably an hour each content patch just running around ogling the scenery. As people have noted, the ascended armor is actually really intricate in terms of detail work.

I also really doubt that their goal is to move transmutation stones. The amount of transmutation stones used on ascended armor has to be a drop in the bucket compared to all the other virtual items they’re moving. I think they’re trying to make cool armor and falling flat in some regards.

It’s a bit puzzling because before the game launched, I assumed that the gem store would be like a virtual fashion show that everyone would buy into. Now I’m surprised if I see something that looks cool every couple months, a problem that’s compounded by having a charr in medium armor as my main character (I really wish I could reroll human or norn sometimes).

Make cool stuff, make it cheap, make it reusable and unlock on multiple characters, print money. Granted, that’s easier said than done, given everyone’s fashion tastes vary wildly.

Xae Isareth.1364

That’s one assumption.

Errrrrr, not really, Mesmer, Monk, Ele, Para and Necro obsidian here. I wish them to be added here too, expecially for my ele , I’d like to have some plate look rather to have just a leather one -.- (I totally agree over obby on war, ugh)
Many armors set in GW1 were pretty much desiderable, the same thing can’t be said here sadly, where for some class/race its kinda sad you can’t just see yourself fitting in more than 2-3 sets, although many around. And this ascended armor is also terrible looking omg, really… why…

You see, I found it to be the complete opposite. Personally I thought half the Obsidian sets looked like leather skinsuits, and thought it was a perfect example of how people would wear anything if it represented status.

For a Mesmer I honestly struggled to find anything which looked good, at all.

For me, GW2 had the best-looking gear I’ve seen in a game since Vindictus (before yhe game flopped and the devs went lazy and screwed everything up). Maybe it’s just my tastes being different.

I was raised on mostly Asian RPGs, so perhaps I liked crazier looking armors as opposed to near-perfect replicas of medieval armor. Probably the case because as far as I know, everyone loved Phalanx and I thought it looked like bulgy crap.

Waldir.2571

You see, I found it to be the complete opposite. Personally I thought half the Obsidian sets looked like leather skinsuits, and thought it was a perfect example of how people would wear anything if it represented status.

While this is true in most cases, it only supports the fact that Ascended armor looks SO bad that even the status factor is put to the side.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

It doesn’t matter how Ascended armor looks — good or bad. Because there is only one look, Anet is guaranteed a lot of gem sales from people who want to look different from everyone else. They definitely designed it this way.

Posted by: Marna Nindar.8120

Marna Nindar.8120

Am I actually the only one who is perfectly fine with them being “decent at best” (if you are an optimist!) in order to boost the transmutation costs sales? It is maybe because exotic crafted weapons already are the ugliest weapons in the game, but I think that pushing the customer to buy COSMETIC items from the gem store is all right and in line with their manifesto. Come on, you can get 25 transmutation stones (so, 4 complete armor sets… ) for 800 gems, which is ~65g or 10€ / $. Given that nobody has to pay for the game after the initial investment, asking for little more than 2€/$ per ascended set isn’t so outragious.

I’m much more bothered by the time investment needed to craft the set than by the amount of geems needed to make it not hurt the eyes.

EDIT: Even if I said that I’m fine with bad ascended armor look, I wouldn’t be against more armor sets, either by dungeons (like, fractal set with relics?), guild commendations, laurels, drops, chests… whatever!). Compared to GW1, where every CLASS got sets opposed as every armor tier, this feels a little lackluster.

(edited by Marna Nindar.8120)

Xae Isareth.1364

While this is true in most cases, it only supports the fact that Ascended armor looks SO bad that even the status factor is put to the side.

The whole point of my argument is that everyone has different tastes, so no matter what you make, there will be people not liking it.

I don’t like the look of them either (apart from heavy gloves, heavy head has a pretty cool looking crown though). My vision of what the Ascebded heavy would look like would be the helm having a pointed visor with a tilted metal halo attached to behind your head, the coat would have huge metal wings on the back, the legs would be similar to what vigil legs look like but with a metal eight-pointed crucifix embossed into the side cloak, with a mich longer cloak.

Im sure a lo if people would hate how impractical that looks or be even offended by the angelic design of it.

dbgamer.3407

Am I actually the only one who is perfectly fine with them being “decent at best” (if you are an optimist!) in order to boost the transmutation costs sales? It is maybe because exotic crafted weapons already are the ugliest weapons in the game, but I think that pushing the customer to buy COSMETIC items from the gem store is all right and in line with their manifesto. Come on, you can get 25 transmutation stones (so, 4 complete armor sets… ) for 800 gems, which is ~65g or 10€ / $. Given that nobody has to pay for the game after the initial investment, asking for little more than 2€/$ per ascended set isn’t so outragious.

I’m much more bothered by the time investment needed to craft the set than by the amount of geems needed to make it not hurt the eyes.

EDIT: Even if I said that I’m fine with bad ascended armor look, I wouldn’t be against more armor sets, either by dungeons (like, fractal set with relics?), guild commendations, laurels, drops, chests… whatever!). Compared to GW1, where every CLASS got sets opposed as every armor tier, this feels a little lackluster.

I don’t think anyone is fine with this concept if ANET made these armor types with the intention that people wouldn’t like them.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Just compare Aion (NCSoft, GW2’s publisher) and GW2 armors. It’s Night and Day

Koreans are good at visual/art design in MMOs.
Not good at anything else game design related though. XD

GW1 still had some Armor I liked a lot, mainly Kurz and Luxon Assassin armor. Yay for no skirts. I’ve mentioned before though that I like the Ascended medium, but Anets still never fixed the scaling issue with male Sylvari making me sadpanda. They got it right with Ascended Light Armor, dunno why it’s so hard to do with Medium.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

…..
Transmutation stones need to be upgradeable to crystals in the mystic forge.

Preach on!

Let us toss 4 Stones for a rare chance for a Cyrstal or maybe a set promotion recipe like materials.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Cancer.9065

Cancer.9065

The only thing I really believe anet made “ugly” on purpose are the pearl weapons. Everything else are just skins to get. The best armors in the game are not sets. Mix and Match is where the “cool” stuff is IMO.

The only Q4 cash grab I see is the “buy 4000 gems get a free mini sparkles” and I like they went this route. Pretty smart and does not impact the game.

Cancer is also a Zodiac sign.

Posted by: ezd.6359

ezd.6359

May be korean games are not best, but armors is what they make very good! I dont play Aion now, but i really miss my assassin’s outfit sometimes Almost every armor piece is highly detailed and looks nice.

I don’t understand why my gw2 armor can not look like these (my 2010-2011 years screens):
http://imgur.com/a/UPQu0

It is not just ascended armor looks bad, most of armor sets in GW2 look bad :/

English is not my native language, sorry :<

dbgamer.3407

Those are pretty sweet – even the weapons look really cool.

I agree Ezd

dbgamer.3407

Has there been any official response from ANET on the negative feedback pertaining to the aesthetics of the ascended armor? anyone know?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

The only set I’ve seen so far is the medium armor on a human female (and then only because that’s what I happened to be playing when someone pinged the codes in chat) but I really like that one.

It’s detailed, I think you could do some interesting things with the dye and its not a trench coat. It’s actually very close to what I originally wanted for my main: the karma Duelist set, but with sleeves that go under your gloves. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Duelist_armor

I seem to have a very different opinion on good looking armor to a lot of people though. If you’d asked me before I’d seem the forums I’d have said they really messed up with the gem store sets because they all look a bit silly and the best looking armor in the game comes from dungeons. (Although I don’t think there’s a single set where I like all the pieces, at least not for my characters. I always use mix-and-match armor instead.)

But ultimately that’s what it comes down to – personal opinions. As other people have said the ascended armor is very detailed and carefully made so it’s obviously something someone put a lot of time and effort into. I find it hard to believe they deliberately set out to make something they thought most people wouldn’t like as some kind of trick to force players to buy gems. It’s more likely that a lot of people on this forum have different tastes to the art designers.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

I don’t think this is the case. If they want to beef up the Q4 results, surely that would mean that they’re pushing out content too early. However, I don’t think the art is bad because of potentially being rushed. It’s just bad because it’s bad and has nothing to do with ANet trying to meet a quarterly goal. Purposely saying “hey guys, make this armor look like rubbish so we can get MONEYS”?… The transmutation stones are worth nothing, compared to what it costs to skill up and produce a piece of ascended gear.

I also wish that they’d used Trickster’s/Phalanx/Viper’s gear for the Ascended gear because they actually look pretty nice. If anything, look there; those sets look pretty kitten neat.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

They dont have to purposely make it look bad. A lot of people already have a look on their character(s) that they like. Just by introducing a flat upgrade, a next tier, would mean people spend money again to keep the skins they already payed for once before.

Posted by: Yonarq.1072

Yonarq.1072

-Tier 3 cultural as rare quality.
-Before last patch, Fractal’s Skins with no stats (the lamest one by far).
-Ascended sets with terrible design.

Please…let’s get real here. This is working as intended. And don’t get me wrong, I understand that they must make money and im ok with that. My increasing problem with Arenanet is they trying to make money by lamer ways. They are “forcing” us to buy gems instead doing smart stuff to make us WANT to buy gems.

But it’s ok it’s ok…at the end, I can only remember one company doing a proper and smart use about the online shop in an online game. So I guess it is normal to make it in a bad way.

(edited by Yonarq.1072)

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

Sad to say….every time i am about to buy gems with real moneys i stop and think if its ethic or not to support it.

I saw Electronic Arts ruining videogames in few years, since there i support only ethical companies.

ArenaNet was possibly the most interesting company with their manifesto etc but the bait and switch turned from the most ethic company in Online rpg it into EA 2.0 for me…..

Since then we saw any way to force players into gemstore….(just look at the increase in gems cost….and the release of skins)

Competition is just too near to keep waiting….

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Xae Isareth.1364

The increase in gem costs isn’t driven by Anet, it’s driven by players. Blame all the champ farms if you will.

I agree on the gem store release though, they should tackle the lack if rewards in game before making south effort on the gem store. But I they are funded by NCSoft. I have a very negative view on the way most Asian companies operate and the amount of emphasis they put on short term profits. Being Asian myself, I’m often embarrassed at how short-sighted our culture is.

(edited by Xae Isareth.1364)

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

I always found this conspiracy that ascended armour looks so bad because Anet want to sell transmutation stones incredibly stupid. While I personally don’t like the look of them there are far worse looking armours already in the game including some Gem shop ones.

Yes I know personal opinion and all that but some people are acting like Anet just ported in some assests from some 90s shovel ware game and slapped them on as the Ascended look. When what actually happened is that they had a design for these armours that just happened to not click with the large portion of their playerbase (and with the random mishmash of armours I see running around LA you can’t really blame them for thinking it would go down well).

On a slightly related note I want to know what I am doing so different from everybody else that I have quite a few of both kinds of transmutation stones sat in my bank because I didn’t buy them and I don’t buy BLC keys.

Posted by: Sina.9208

Sina.9208

I think they have a group of art interns making a plethora of skins every day and one of them made these & they decided not to scrap them. The gem thing is probably a motivation too, but bear in mind that anyone who can dish out 400-600 gold for ascended armor is going to be able to buy 6 transmutation crystals with gold..

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

If that was their intention, jokes on them because I have more than enough fine transmutation stones saved up from dailies to transmute all my armor and then some.

You have to think though, there are some awesome artists out there and I’m sure people have sent them sketches of armour that looks far better than what they’ve come up with. I mean, medium armour ranger, makes her look like a homeless gladiator.

On a side note, I can’t imagine them making a lot of money of transmutation stones to begin with. It doesn’t take a heck of a lot of gold to transfer to gems to even buy them.

dbgamer.3407

I always found this conspiracy that ascended armour looks so bad because Anet want to sell transmutation stones incredibly stupid. While I personally don’t like the look of them there are far worse looking armours already in the game including some Gem shop ones.

Yes I know personal opinion and all that but some people are acting like Anet just ported in some assests from some 90s shovel ware game and slapped them on as the Ascended look. When what actually happened is that they had a design for these armours that just happened to not click with the large portion of their playerbase (and with the random mishmash of armours I see running around LA you can’t really blame them for thinking it would go down well).

On a slightly related note I want to know what I am doing so different from everybody else that I have quite a few of both kinds of transmutation stones sat in my bank because I didn’t buy them and I don’t buy BLC keys.

I would like to agree with you – I know I started the thread, but I still have a hard time believing there’s anything as sinister as the transmutation stone trick in mind…

As to your question – you must just not transmute your armor that frequently. I do it quite a bit, so I only have 1-2 of the stones lying around.

Posted by: IceVyper.6810

IceVyper.6810

I believe the ascended armor has its current look so that everybody won’t be running around looking the same. Plenty of people have already invested in other expensive skins, and it is obvious that they will transmute them.

And if someone has crafted an ascended set and does not like the looks, he/she sure has enough gold to invest in some transmutation stones without having to pay real money.

Posted by: Kris.4802

Kris.4802

I may be 1 of few but i like the new armor skins(to a point). It’s well done and is going for an elegant look. Not all the parts i like but we don’t have to use that skin at all. My mains look is set in stone and ill just x mute it but if i didst have a look yet, i would use some of the skins and mix and match.

IMHO, Great job on the new skins. Just not everyone will like them just like everyone don’t like the toxic shoulders

Mordremoth’s triumvirate of evil:
1. Trahearne 2. Scarlet 3. The sylvari that keeps spamming “More violets I say, less violence.”