A race for a flamboyant, effeminate mesmer?

in Lore

Posted by: Dowon.9230

Dowon.9230

I was thinking of creating a mesmer but I’m having some trouble choosing a good race for him lore-wise. I have this idea of a very flamboyant, effeminate male mesmer (basically having the traits of a stereotypically “gay” person but i need to be politically correct and all haha) where he would look really colorful and accented and everything.

Right now, I’m stuck between choosing a Human or a Sylvari. Human because humans fit for basically everything and Sylvari because they’re a very curious race and want to express freedom and all.

in Lore

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

Well, the choice of mesmer is kinda stereotypical.. since they all are about mirrors and butterflys, but the same could be said about warriors and rangers… (at least in movies etc…)

I hope you do not want to be offensive in any way thougg, however beauty is in the eye of the beholder so if a “gay” person likes to be stereotypical, it is his choice.

Treating your question seriously though, it is kinda tricky.
Sylvari do not really have gender, but shapes. While their body and voice might resembel the human physiology, their mind and physiological sex does not seem to express any differntiation between the two gender.
We see many supposed “gay” pairings in game throughout the story. However none of them is flamboyant etc…

However there is no reason to have no Sylvari act that way, since it is a state of mind.
There could indeed be a Sylvari who has a male partner and acts the way you discribe.
There would be nothing wrong with that in my book.

Everyone is free to express himself as he likes.

However since it is a touchy topic you should realy be carefull not to offend someone in the long run.

For humans.. well they are humans as you say work with everything.
I think there is a flamboyant character in Beetletun, but i am not sure.

in Lore

Posted by: bullyrook.2165

bullyrook.2165

Sylvari have highly colorful personas. If you are looking for strong emotions of levity, then they would be ideal.

in Lore

Posted by: Argon.1563

Argon.1563

One of my friends done this, her Ranger is a flamboyant male human who is homeless in Divinity’s Reach, and works at a club, spending his free time at boutiques, trying out new clothes.

I think human would work better for what you going for, beacuse they have a big city, with lots of utility for stuff like boutiques, parlors and overall glamour.

Try to describe him as “Flamboyant” though, rather then “Gay”. Im homosexual myself, and I don’t get offended over stereotypes like that, but a lot of people would get hugely offended over it. When your dealing with a topic like that, your always going to offend a group of people, so its just better to avoid it.

in Lore

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Break stereotypes! Be a flamboyant male Charr Mesmer!

in Lore

Posted by: Heraldusluminare.2946

Heraldusluminare.2946

^ I was going to say that. A Charr with outrageously dyed fur and a knack for over-the-top combat/showmanship might work for the trope you’re looking for. Asura might work for that too, if you add the word “obnoxious”.

Can’t think of a reason why Norn would be effete – unless you considering skull-cracking and rowdy alemoots fabulous.

in Lore

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

Can’t think of a reason why Norn would be effete – unless you considering skull-cracking and rowdy alemoots fabulous.

They can bash you in the face, send you home crying, and their hair was never mussed the entire time.
That, good folks, takes skill!

It would make the skaalds’ work a bit more interesting when they try to present such stories to a Norn populace.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

in Lore

Posted by: korelg.7862

korelg.7862

I’ve actually seen a couple of norn wearing that creepy stache that would really fit the kind of char you wanna create…

If you are familiar with Fullmetal Alchemist it would be like Col. Armstrong xD

in Lore

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

An Asura might work too. I just can’t see a Charr or Norn working, except as shtick. (The idea of a flamboyant Norn brings to mind the “super hairy Wonder Woman” character in a Simpsons episode). Only good for one scene.

in Lore

Posted by: Steel Fenrir.2791

Steel Fenrir.2791

Charr with hair/fur dyed skyblue. This thread reminds me of Tybalt. I miss that guy, maybe I’ll remake a Charr one of these days.

in Lore

Posted by: Daniel Handler.4816

Daniel Handler.4816

Most definitely Sylvari. Fairy is a common description of effeminate men, and the Sylvari are the most fey of any of the races. Besides the fact the Sylvari are the only current race in game to have a confirmed male-male relationship.

“Kentigem”-chief. Born cycle of Dusk. Wyld Hunt:
Learn as much mending and medical info as possible so that it can be added to the Dream.
Become the first Chief of Mending and guide the newly awaken as well as those who want to learn.

in Lore

Posted by: bullyrook.2165

bullyrook.2165

Most definitely Sylvari. Fairy is a common description of effeminate men, and the Sylvari are the most fey of any of the races. Besides the fact the Sylvari are the only current race in game to have a confirmed male-male relationship.

You might have wanted to word that a bit more softly. =_=

in Lore

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

I have two such characters. One’s a Norn Mesmer, the other’s a Charr Guardian.

(I probably should have gone Mesmer for him too, but wanted to see how fabulous I could make a Guardian). Charr can even have fabulous names, like Ryder Sparklepuff. They’re also extra-cuddly on top of that. In fact, I’m trying to build a Sparkle/puff warband to adventure with an entire team of flamboyant charr of all types.

The problem with the Norn is you need a long hairstyle that covers the shoulders, and it doesn’t stop him from having a hilariously deep, booming voice in cutscenes. (Or being built like a hulk, even with the most slender physique).

Unfortunately, the biggest barrier to enjoying such flamboyant characters is a lack of ways to initiate and express body language. And, the Personal Stories REALLY don’t go well for those races (Moreso for the Charr than the Norn. Norn are all about showboating, so being fabulous actually kinda works). THen again… maybe the reason nobody in the Blood Legion wants to serve under Ryder Sparklepuff is because they don’t want to be associated with the Puff warband or put up with his flamboyance, even if he is an incredible warrior.

Sylvari are the most traditionally fabulous, though.

(edited by Sartharina.3542)

in Lore

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

Unfortunately, the biggest barrier to enjoying such flamboyant characters is a lack of ways to initiate and express body language. And, the Personal Stories REALLY don’t go well for those races (Moreso for the Charr than the Norn. Norn are all about showboating, so being fabulous actually kinda works). THen again… maybe the reason nobody in the Blood Legion wants to serve under Ryder Sparklepuff is because they don’t want to be associated with the Puff warband or put up with his flamboyance, even if he is an incredible warrior.

That’s why I prefer Gladium when recruiting.
It shows how badly you want to be in a band after all.
There are probably some that would join any warband, even if they had to rename themselves “Happy Puff Puff Kitty fur” of the NyanNyan warband.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!