new books

new books

in Lore

Posted by: Horst Hortensie.5420

Horst Hortensie.5420

This thread is to leave new in-game information that are written down (books, logs, etc).

Please leave a note where to find it.

Slow clap for the great puppet player.

new books

in Lore

Horst Hortensie.5420

Priory Durmand library

“Ley Line Theory #671”

“Ley Line Theory #671” by Verzatt, Collegue of Dynamics
(read on)
The existence of ley lines has long been theorized, and they have had many names.In 1316, a sylvari named Ceara (alias Scarlet Briar) found proof.
(read on)
My own researchsupports the hypothesis that ley lines are currents of moving magical energy within the great sea of of the Eternal Alchemy.
(read on)
Magic, like air or water, supports life and surrounds us as air surrounds land-based creatures and water surrounds aquatic creatures.
(read on)
But it is not stagnant. It ebbs and flows in currents that swirl about us, unseen and unfelt.
(read on)
There is evindence that the paths of these leey lines can be disrupted and changed just as the path of a river can be changed when obstructed.
(leave)

new books

in Lore

Horst Hortensie.5420

Priory Durmand library

“Scarlet Briar: a Brief”

“Scarlet Briar: a brief” by Priory Scholar Donn
(read on)
Scarlet Briar: 1304 – 1327 (Sylvari, Cycle of Day)
(read on)
Her name upon awakening was Ceara, which she eventually rejected along with her roots.
(read on)
She worked with each of the asuran colleges, allowing them to study her cognitive abilities while introducing her to advanced asuran philosophies and knowledge.
(read on)
Other mentors trained her in more technical skills, including Beigarth, a Norn who lives in Hoelbrack.
(read on)
Following her time with an Asura named Omadd, she took the self-made name of Scarlet Briar and severed her ties to the Pale Tree and the Dream.
(leave)

new books

in Lore

Horst Hortensie.5420

Priory Durmand library

“A Dragon Primer” by Odgen Stonehealer

A small book, written by Odgen Stonehealer, entitled “A Dragon Primer”
(read on)
Some known fact about dragons.
1. Elder Dragons sleep for millennia, untroubled and untroubling.
2. When Elder Dragons awaken, they terrorize the world.
(read on)
3. While awake, Elder Dragons soak up magic like sponges.
4. While sleeping, dragons release magic into the world.
(read on)
5. This explain the increase of magic across the millenia.
6. This is a very slow process.
(read on)
7. No one knows how much magic they’ll consume if not stopped.
8. Last time, the seers saved aside some magic in the Bloodstone.
(read on)
8. They go back to sleep when Tyria is drained.
9. Magic gradually seeps back into the world.
(leave)

new books

in Lore

Horst Hortensie.5420

Priory Durmand library

“Erosion and Waypoint Stability” by Technican Penn

A short technical paper by Technican Penn, entitled “Erosion and Waypoint Stability.”
(read on)
It says, “Some waypoints gradually fail over time, while others thrive. Current theories tie the failing waypoints to terrain that hinders the flow of energies.”
(read on)
It continues, “However, we have not been able to predict where a waypoint will thrive or fail. The specific conditions required for failure remain unknown.”
(read on)
It concludes, “We have no other recourse but to apply a trial-and-error method to waypoint placement. Those that fail are dismanteled to keep the waypoint grid strong.”
(leave)

new books

in Lore

Posted by: ElysianEternity.6215

ElysianEternity.6215

Wow, good find Horst! Checked it for myself just now. Makes me wonder if there’s anything more hidden info like that. Just checked the Vigil HQ for any new text but nothing there.

Tho…

Priory Durmand library

(read on)
(read on)

…ow.

new books

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Tho…

Priory Durmand library

(read on)
(read on)

…ow.

“Ow” indeed. Cycle of the Day, aka Cycle of the Noon are the warriors, yet there’s a cycle for diplomats (“silver-tongued” Scarlet’s claimed to be) and one for scholars (engineer she’s claimed to be).

And then we know from the novels’ timeline that the sylvari came into being in 1302 AE. And per Ree Soesbee the Secondborn came to be 6 or 7 years later.

Yeah. “Ow.”

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

new books

in Lore

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

So according to this information, Scarlet turned 16 in 1320, not 1325 as was being claimed. Also, Scarlet had exposure to the ley lines as early as 1316, or possibly earlier.

new books

in Lore

Horst Hortensie.5420

#####

The following books are tied to the story instance and get spoiler tagged, because the instance is new and the books are currently only accessible in the course of the story. It’s to make a clear difference between open world books and story tied books.

#####

new books

in Lore

Horst Hortensie.5420

living world season 2 episode 1 last instance

desk

Dear diary. Writing longhands is for the birds. I’ve discovered a device of asuran origin that will allow me to record my journal from this point forward.
(read on)
Do not think I am ungrateful to you. But, I must continue to evolve at every moment. The future awaits us all, I plan to be amazing when it comes.
(read on)
This will be my last entry as an ink-splattering student. Starting tomorrow, I am a researcher, an engineer, and a visionary. I confess to a mixture of fear and excitement.
(read on)
I believe I’ve found one of these mystical ley-lines, and if I can study it, wll … my understanding of Tyria’s inner workings will increase in leaps and bounds!
(read on)
Who knows what the future will hold?
(leave)

new books

in Lore

Horst Hortensie.5420

shelf on the right side of the room

“The Nature of Dragons” by Odgen Stonehealer
(read more)
Or, should I say the “Dragons of Nature?” Yes. Dragons have long been thought to be as much a part of Tyria as the sun, moon, land, and seas.
(read more)
No one, not even the dwarves, know how long they’ve been here. The jotun and the norn both have lingering stories passed down through the generations about the last rise of the dragons.
(read more)
Most scholars give these tales little credit, unfortunately, kitten much time has passed. It was over ten thousand years ago that the dragons last returned to their slumber.
(read more)
The very existence of these tales, however, indicates that the dragons have awakened at least twice in history.
(read more)
Ancient documents, found now in the Durmand Priory’s collection, reveal accounts passed down by other races such as the powerful Seers and even the human gods themselves.
(leave)

new books

in Lore

Horst Hortensie.5420

shelf on the right side of the room

This scrap of paper has handwriting on it. It says, “Note to self: explore the idea of a mobile waypoint. Travel can happen at my whim?”
(leave)

new books

in Lore

Horst Hortensie.5420

under the blueprint, close to the door

“A Treatise on the Mental Puppeteering of Golems” by Snaff
(read more)
Some scholars theorize that magic flows through all things, that we swim in magic as fish swim in water, or as we ourselves live in air. This magic is said to ebb and flow via currents called ley lines.
(read on)
Magic infuses everything in the world. The building blocks of reality are held together by magic. With the right connectors, manipulating magical elements with the mind becames possible.
(read more)
The mind is a powerful and fragile quantity in the world equation and the Eternal Alchemy. It can move mountains, or it can be shattered like glass.
(read more)
My research has found a thread between magic and the mind. The two are linked. Where is the one, there must be also the other. The igniter is belief.
(leave)

new books

in Lore

Horst Hortensie.5420

This sheet of paper says: “What could it be?” followed by a list of thoughts.
(read on)
1. An ancient pool of magic trapped beneath the surface of the world? Like those believed to infuse the waters at Bergen with healing properties?
(read on)
2. A tear in the veil between here and the Mists? Perhaps the abundance of magic there is leaking into our world?
(read on)
3. Ley lines? Could it be that they truly exist? If so, this is where my life truly begins. Right here. Right now.
(leave)

new books

in Lore

Horst Hortensie.5420

This handwritten notebook bears the stamp of Omadd, Scarlet’s last mentor.
(read on)
The device work on the principle that the mind is connected to magic, and therefore, if properly opened, one should be able to grasp the entire Eternal Alchemy as a bird view the landscape far below.
(read on)
My sylvari assistant will try it next. I am hopeful that she, with her innate connection to the sylvari Dream, will be a better subject than those who’ve gone before.
(read on)
I’ve grown rather fond of her and would hate to have her mind broken as well. I’ve tweaked and twiddled the settings as described below. I’m sure she’ll be fine.
(leave)

new books

in Lore

Horst Hortensie.5420

shelf on the left side of the room

An official certificate indicates that Ceara has received honorary student status with the College of Dynamics. This permits her to audit classes in a non-degree capacity.
(leave)