Bring back Order of the Vampire

in Profession Balance

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

It was once said that a very specific elementalist trait should have been considered grandmaster level because it granted boons on demand to other players. I didn’t quite understand it back then, but I do now: granting effects to other players increases the total effective output of the party.

Having said that, I like playing a PvE vampiric necro despite many shortcomings of the class as a whole. Since the necro playstyle is a bit on the selfish side and they are supposed to have some of the best ways to sustain themselves during combat, I thought it might be a good idea to bring back some old skills in the form of traits that can affect other allies in order to tone down the self focused skills and traits of the profession.

As you might have guessed, I’m suggesting for the addition or rework of several traits so that other allies can gain the benefits of the vampiric traits or gain the healing effect of said vampiric traits whenever a necro steals health. As it stands, the vampiric traits are really weak and don’t affect other allies. Each profession is expected to bring utility and support in some manner when in groups, and I think being able to share or spread the vampiric traits or it’s healing will be a good first step.

As you read in the title, something along the lines of (but not limited to what is presented):

Grandmaster trait XIV:
Order of the Vampire
(Option 1)

• Whenever you steal health, allies within 900 range are also healed.
  • Steal 33% more health when you attack a bleeding target.

(Option 2)

• Allies within a 900 range gain your currently equipped Vampiric traits.
  • Traits affected: Vampiric, Vampiric Master, Vampiric Precision.

(This could replace Blood to Power when going with option 1)
Tainted Blood

• When struck, inflict one stack of three second bleeding to your attacker.

(edited by DanteZero.9736)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

To be quite honest, there is plenty of old Guild Wars 1 skills that are adapt-able and ideas behond them which are perfect interesting ideas for “spines” of new incoming skills. Also, it’s a book of cool skill names.

Keep in mind that many GW1 skills were copies of existing skills (campaign requirements) or worked like “rock/paper/scissors”.

Just an example of Necromancer skills:

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/List_of_necromancer_skills

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Profession Balance

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

To be quite honest, there is plenty of old Guild Wars 1 skills that are adapt-able and ideas behond them which are perfect interesting ideas for “spines” of new incoming skills. Also, it’s a book of cool skill names.

Keep in mind that many GW1 skills were copies of existing skills (campaign requirements) or worked like “rock/paper/scissors”.

Just an example of Necromancer skills:

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/List_of_necromancer_skills

The most notable difference between the GW1 and 2 necro is in the adaptation of the classes to each game’s combat system. More specifically, GW1 had the existence of hexes and enchantments which made for some incredibly interesting gameplay and memorable skills. GW2 simplified that by removing hexes entirely and thus, many notable necro skills had traits named after them (most notably for me, Spiteful Spirit).

I specifically suggested Order of the Vampire to be returned in trait format because:

1. It was a GW1 elite skill that buffed the party
  2. Its functionality meshes very well with GW2’s combat philosophy of spreading and aiding other players/the party with buffs
  3. The necro has some very self centered traits and skills (both utility and weapon skills) and could do with some less self centered traits and skills. Unholy Martyr isn’t anywhere close to being a good enough start.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

Contagion Is probably a good candidate for Necro synergy too, but I think I would take Mark of Pain before anything.

(edited by Gnat.9405)