SOTG 6/9/2013

SOTG 6/9/2013

in Elementalist

Posted by: Fishbait.6723

Fishbait.6723

“State of the Game going live at 1PM Pacific (20:00 GMT) with Jonathan “Chaplan” Sharp and Josh “Grouch” Davis"

Let`s see what excuses that have this time

http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2guru

“We want you to play the game, not the UI” Arenanet.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Top-right-GO-away/first#post2096524
Rocking Wizard Wars until this mess of a game is fixed…

SOTG 6/9/2013

in Elementalist

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

How long?

15char

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

SOTG 6/9/2013

in Elementalist

Posted by: SilverUniverse.7103

SilverUniverse.7103

“what could possibly go wrong?”
- Bubsy the Bobcat

SOTG 6/9/2013

in Elementalist

Posted by: Janairo.4289

Janairo.4289

Oh you must mean the necro warrior buff discussion like the last one. I really do hope the devs and the hosts do take some kittening initiative to give the player population a fair representation rather than having a kitten for a couple of them.

SOTG 6/9/2013

in Elementalist

Fishbait.6723

Stream got nerfed, I mean delayed, 2030GMT.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Top-right-GO-away/first#post2096524

(edited by Fishbait.6723)

SOTG 6/9/2013

in Elementalist

SilverUniverse.7103

Stream got nerfed, I mean delayed, 2030GMT.

there were too many eles watching. gives me a chance to get something to eat

SOTG 6/9/2013

in Elementalist

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

I don’t think this should be in the ele forums. We will be ignored, as always, unless they want to nerf something like Fiery Greatsword, because we are not supposed to be mobile (I can’t think of any other skill that is even borderline good enough to be nerfed again). You are in danger of getting the ele community’s hopes up once again, and experience has shown that doing so is a bad idea.

SOTG 6/9/2013

in Elementalist

Fishbait.6723

True it`ll be ignored, as per usual, but at least us forgotten can watch & see some more /facepalmdeskfloor statements from them ;p

SOTG 6/9/2013

in Elementalist

SilverUniverse.7103

“The show won’t be live till in 50 minutes.”
- Frozire

SOTG 6/9/2013

in Elementalist

BlackBeard.2873

Summary: eles are o.k. once they shave thieves. They think that is the only problem. Find another class.

(edited by BlackBeard.2873)

SOTG 6/9/2013

in Elementalist

Fishbait.6723

Warrior was meant to be full tanky…..
Thief evades is what we wanted them to have….
Guardians struggle to survive…..
Ele S/D will be okay once Condi meta is toned down.
Got directly asked about staff & required 30 points in arcane, said they`re looking into GM traits, but staff may be a problem as they don`t want too much AoE….

Right near end, was busy fighting in wvws, but I`m sure Sharp stated that “he`s seen ele in pvp only use one attunement, mainly fire”.

holy kitten! That kid has never once logged the game I`m sure!
Unbinding F2-4 right now, obviously been playing wrong.
/failol

SOTG 6/9/2013

in Elementalist

Posted by: Galbar.7843

Galbar.7843

He said that most eles don’t swap between attunements because it is a too complicated mechanic… LOL!!!

SOTG 6/9/2013

in Elementalist

Posted by: Arheundel.6451

Arheundel.6451

He said that most eles don’t swap between attunements because it is a too complicated mechanic… LOL!!!

HAHA Here we go guys!
Eles don’t get buffs because the Devs think we’re a bunch of noobs..kk pls Jon come and teach me how to play an ele while only using fire attunement ‘cause apparently you say it’s possible..I’m all ears!

SOTG 6/9/2013

in Elementalist

Fishbait.6723

I was flabbergasted when I heard it, had to alt tab to the stream whilst fighting, just to double take at the comment, not believing I`d heard it right.
Saw stream chat, it confirmed lol

SOTG 6/9/2013

in Elementalist

Galbar.7843

I had a similar reaction xD

SOTG 6/9/2013

in Elementalist

Posted by: ARM.3912

ARM.3912

Oh, you guys are switching attunements? You must be pro’s!

SOTG 6/9/2013

in Elementalist

Posted by: ARM.3912

ARM.3912

ps; WTH are they nerfing us over and over for if they think all we do is sit in 1 attunement????

SOTG 6/9/2013

in Elementalist

Galbar.7843

SOTG 6/9/2013

in Elementalist

Posted by: Mice.8921

Mice.8921

To be entirely fair, they were referencing the complexity of profession mechanics, and stating that BRAND NEW players don’t always take full advantage of attunement swapping…

That said…. the SotG is pretty pathetic tbh….

SOTG 6/9/2013

in Elementalist

Fishbait.6723

Not sure if it was just perfect timing or pure disbelief, but check Vonethil when Sharp states ele only use 1-2 attunements.
He actually looks like he was about to facepalm haha

SOTG is meant more about pvp then anything isn`t it, but then he goes on to say that about ele in pve /shrug

SOTG 6/9/2013

in Elementalist

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

I….. I can’t believe he’s saying ele sits in only fire and uses 1-2 attunements…. I’m at work or I’d play it right now…. This must be a joke… Right? Right? RIGHT?!?

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

SOTG 6/9/2013

in Elementalist

Posted by: Hekmatyar.8725

Hekmatyar.8725

I….. I can’t believe he’s saying ele sits in only fire and uses 1-2 attunements…. I’m at work or I’d play it right now…. This must be a joke… Right? Right? RIGHT?!?

He didn’t.

Nellmar/Arezzem

SOTG 6/9/2013

in Elementalist

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

He didn’t.

I’ll know for sure when I watch it later, I’m hoping you’re right!

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

SOTG 6/9/2013

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

I think you guys are overreacting a bit. It is probably a true statement that most eles only use 1 or 2 attunements. Keep in mind that most players have likely only played less than 100 hours, so it’s not surprising most of them are nooby. He’s not saying that’s how we should play, but that they don’t want to make us any more complicated since new players won’t be able to use any of the advanced skills. What IS unfortunate about this is it makes it less likely they will ever fix conjures in a meaningful way since being able to use conjures like kits might be seen as making us “too complicated”.

I wish they would have addressed builds besides s/x (which I abhor the style of… d mainhand is what made me fall in love with the class), or our low hp.

Also I don’t know why they don’t bring their pvp changes on necro and so on to wvw… why is ok for them to be op there? Not to mention all the new PvE only runes and sigils (perplexity, malice, scavenging) pushing condi builds way over the top in WvW non-zerg play.

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

SOTG 6/9/2013

in Elementalist

BlackBeard.2873

Guys…they don’t care. It’s ok to vent, but don’t hold out hope of the play-style you like with d/x ever being viable again. Ele’s were bottom of the barrel after beta damage nerfs until we figured out that we could ride boons and a 95% defensive play-style to do pretty well. They then made boons worth less (b/c necros were buffed and S/d thieves steal them), nerfed the defensive/healing capabilities, and put us back in our place at the bottom without giving us any damage. Pick up a staff and play support if you want to ele, or be a poor man’s thief.

The key difference is the survivability, if we could survive and do ok sustained damage, it would be fine. But we can’t survive and do poor damage or are 1-shot by everything and can burst a glass-cannon thief (who can do the same back, except form stealth on us). B/c we are able to kill SOMETHING, they think we are fine. Just move along and play another class/game.

SOTG 6/9/2013

in Elementalist

Fishbait.6723

But didn`t he say that he`d seen Eles only use 1-2 attunements? I`ll not watch it again, it was far too painful.

I can believe that there may be a few (very few) players that don`t swap, but they should.
It isn`t difficult, not even close, just tedious but sort of fun in a masochistic way at the same time

As for new players, we all were at one point & I`d say most get used to swapping easily enough. I started in beta & knew to swap constantly & I am a 100% pure noob ;p
I don`t pve, so no idea what the players`re like in there, but in the BGs & WvWs, I`ve never once seen an ele sticking to one attunement, not even the lowbie & noob eles.

If he was just making it up as an example/excuse as to why they won`t give hunt…I mean rangers more control over their pets, I think that is just as bad.
Saying that new players won`t use them, shouldn`t stop the regulars having the abilities.

Also completely agree re balance splits.
They boasted they could split pve/bgs & WvWs, it is clear it is well over due & should`ve been done a long time ago.

SOTG 6/9/2013

in Elementalist

Posted by: Softspoken.2410

Softspoken.2410

Kinda disappointed in how people are taking that comment. It was in response to the suggestion that they should add more profession keys to the Ranger. (Ostensibly to control the pet?) Super brought up Elementalists as an example of a profession that already deals with a lot of profession keys, and J Sharp pointed to beginning players (Which I think he was taking PvE as a short-hand for, which is fair enough considering beginners probably play in PvE more than any other mode) will stick to two elements and not use all four because the reward isn’t there for the difficulty of juggling those other attunements. It wasn’t a statement that that’s how you play an elementalist effectively, or even that that’s how an elementalist should play.

Again, this was about skill floor and UI clutter for the ranger. Given how much focus ArenaNet as a whole has put on keeping both of those down, you have to have an exceptionally good pitch to convince them to add more buttons to the UI for any profession.

[/whiteknight]

Mixing insults with your post is like pooping in a salad.
It’s pretty obvious, and nobody’s impressed.

SOTG 6/9/2013

in Elementalist

Posted by: Adastra.9821

Adastra.9821

His comment was directed at PvE eles. Well, let me just chime in and say I stay in fire most of the time because there’s no need for me to switch, or the other elements are just subpar and are only useful for the utility 1 or 2 skills provide such as static field. In a self-sustaining party, I might as well stay in fire and dps. If I swapped to maybe get a heal off (mainly directed at staff since I use it in PvE) or earth for a blast finisher, I’d be locked out of the only attunement (fire) that does any damage for 10 seconds minimum, ~11 seconds for me since I only want blasting staff.

SOTG 6/9/2013

in Elementalist

Posted by: Skychok.7854

Skychok.7854

Well golly, I ain’t keen on them there attunements, all I know is fiar burns so I’m just gunna stand in aoe and press dat dare 1 button. Pressin’ 2 hurts ma head.

If we’re balancing classes based on newer players (considering how we/they will never be able to effectively play an Elementalist – according to John) I guess I’m playing the wrong class.

If people simply stay in fire attunement, isn’t there a design flaw here? Make other attunements appealing.

(edited by Skychok.7854)

SOTG 6/9/2013

in Elementalist

BlackBeard.2873

We all know he was simply talking about how newer players don’t play to the max and use all of a profession’s abilities on more complicated classes. That being said, I wish the balanced ele around 1/2 attunements being able to hold their own, rather than around having to eke out the last bit of damage from every attunement and just giving up on all versatility.

SOTG 6/9/2013

in Elementalist

Posted by: Lazarast.6571

Lazarast.6571

It’s so disgusting… again they balance things on PvP thinking on PvE.

And what happens is they kill the pvp even more.

The profesion I’ve enjoyed most is elementalist and I haven’t played for a month since with this condi meta it’s not fun.

I have no words…

SOTG 6/9/2013

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kodiak.3281

Kodiak.3281

Well for one lets remember they actually have access to the numbers and skill data. If they say across all the Elementalist characters out there, which even the forum participation here only represents a fraction of, a good amount of time is spent in 1-2 attunements it’s probably not inaccurate.

From our perspective it really depends on build and what you’re doing. There are plenty of cases where I just throw on a staff and use Fire because I am feeling lazy. This is especially true for things like champ farm. Simple truth is you don’t need to be some super crazy 4 attunement rotation to just get tags when sitting in Fire and spamming 3 buttons will work. Another I might be sitting in Air most of the time cause I’m just running around gathering.

There are of course other scenarios where it might be unimaginable to never swap such as WvW or PvP.

In either scenario I think everyone should be well aware that the Elementalist isn’t going to be getting any boosts so if you don’t know it you know your options at this point. I for one am enjoying my Mesmer thoroughly.

Kodiak X – Blackgate

SOTG 6/9/2013

in Elementalist

Posted by: Lavadiel.6231

Lavadiel.6231

Attachments:

SOTG 6/9/2013

in Elementalist

Posted by: Grevender.9235

Grevender.9235

this is what really happens:

SOTG 6/9/2013

in Elementalist

Posted by: rfdarko.4639

rfdarko.4639

Kinda disappointed in how people are taking that comment. It was in response to the suggestion that they should add more profession keys to the Ranger. (Ostensibly to control the pet?) Super brought up Elementalists as an example of a profession that already deals with a lot of profession keys, and J Sharp pointed to beginning players (Which I think he was taking PvE as a short-hand for, which is fair enough considering beginners probably play in PvE more than any other mode) will stick to two elements and not use all four because the reward isn’t there for the difficulty of juggling those other attunements. It wasn’t a statement that that’s how you play an elementalist effectively, or even that that’s how an elementalist should play.

Again, this was about skill floor and UI clutter for the ranger. Given how much focus ArenaNet as a whole has put on keeping both of those down, you have to have an exceptionally good pitch to convince them to add more buttons to the UI for any profession.

[/whiteknight]

I think there is some amount of over-reaction going on, but I still don’t understand what he was trying to convey from that statement. (In a genuinely confused way, not a sarcastic wth was he thinking way). The argument seems goes something like this – Q: should rangers have more micro? There are already classes in the game that require this like elementalist. A: Beginner elementalist’s only use 2 attunments, it’s difficult for them to play with all 4.

So….what? Is he saying that elementalist’s skill floor is to high? If newbies can use 2 out of 4 attunments and still get good results, I don’t think that’s a fair assesment. Introducing levels of complexity is only a problem for skill floor if you must play in that complex way to be effective. Elementalist is actually a very good analogy for ranger – a newbie ranger in pve would still be effective without micro’ing the pet, but the truly skilled rangers would be rewarded for knowing their class inside and out.

The compelling argument for pet micro, in my mind, is that rangers at the moment are (at least perceived to be) rewarded to highly for passive play. Letting the “petting zoo” do a lot of the heavy lifting. If the pet could be more directly controlled, become more an extension of the ranger rather than just one more ai minion (more fitting to the class concept, I think), good rangers would have access to a much more active style of combat. This would require a lot of reworking, however, and might be a challenge to balance, which I think is the real reason rangers will not see this sort of change.

guildless hobo who likes to solo – [x]

SOTG 6/9/2013

in Elementalist

Fishbait.6723

“…because eles are already having a hard time getting into a team comp.”

Really Sharp? Can`t imagine why…..

SOTG 6/9/2013

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wryog.5073

Wryog.5073

Wait, why were they talking about PvE when they mentioned elementalists swapping? In PvE it’s usually either a)You’re in a farm zerg and you stay in air with a dagger main hand to tag everything and then don’t really care because nothing is really challenging or b)You’re doing a dungeon in which case you just pop a lightning hammer and attunement swapping is mostly useless.
It’s a kitten SotG for PvP balance. Less PvE talk!

Wryog [WBC] – elementalist
Gunnar’s Hold

SOTG 6/9/2013

in Elementalist

Posted by: Malcastus.6240

Malcastus.6240

He didn’t.

I’ll know for sure when I watch it later, I’m hoping you’re right!

It -is- probably true for PvE eles. I don’t think it’s because of profession difficulty, but damage efficiency. You obviously deal much more damage in fire than water or earth, so why swap if you can do without and already run 30 fire for better firefields+crit chance?

That he pointed out such a potential faulty (see above) and irrelevant PvE aspect is beyond me.

I just wish they would get on with it and give staff a few effective defensive skills, so it will see more use in SPvP and not be a deathtrap.