Flamethrower/Elixir Gun/Rifle WVW/PVE build

in Engineer

Posted by: DrMatt.9408

DrMatt.9408

Build out of date, will rethink it post engineer balance update (looks like a major buff is incoming )
31/8/14

Great build for wvw and pve. For dungeons you might want to try something different depending on team composition e.g. nades. Sucks but such is the dungeon running meta

Traits:

Firearms 20 – fireforged trigger, juggernaut

Alchemy 30 – protection injection, deadly mixture, invigorating speed

Tools 20 – speedy kits, leg mods

Skills:

rifle, medkit, elixir B, elixir gun, flamethrower, supply drop

Equipment:

Weapon – Knight’s Rifle
sup sigil battle

- Extra Bloodlust stacking weapon

Armor- Soldier
2x sup monk, 4x sup altruism runes

Trinkets -

- Soldier Emerald Backpiece
– Knight’s (ascended) amulet
– Berserker (ascended) accessory x2, ring x2,

Consumables:

Hardened Sharpening Stone

Bowl Poultry and Leek Soup (WVW), or Chocolate Omnomberry Cream in PVE if you want 40% MF, in which case you should take elixir C instead of elixir B for condition removal.

Summary
With optimal gear as above (you can get similar stats with other equipment combinations), you will have:

-3300+ attack with perma 10 might (more now since I changed to 4x altruism, 2 x monk setup, as long as you keep hitting medkit every 10 secs) while wielding flamerthrower, 3500+ when switched to rifle, 3550/3750+ with full bloodlust,
-40% crit chance, made into 60% with perma fury from elixir B and drop stimulant.
-Double damage on critical hit
-2700 armour while wielding flamethrower
-21000 base health
– + 60% boon duration
– perma swiftness/fury/vigor
– around 40% retaliation uptime + more from extra elixir B triggering at 75% health
– -36% cond duration + -33% cripple/chill/immobilize duration (-69% total)
– almost 5s protection when disabled e.g. stunned every 5s
– 1 stunbreak (healing mist), 2 x1 condition removal (super elixir, antidote)
– 6/7 secs stability from elixir B toolbelt
– -20% toolbelt recharge time, as well as full recharge at 25% health (for another heal and stunbreak)
– other extra stuff :P

Use elixir B and drop stimulant at beginning of battle, keep using on cooldown. Rotate between rifle and flamethrower (be quick with rifle and you will not loose the might stacks from ff), use elixir gun for super elixir and acid bomb.

One skill rotation is: flameblast then flamejet at close range to open combat, netshot to immobilize, napalm on top of them, acid bomb away to blast the fire field, jumpshot back into action to get the leap finisher, blunderbuss, overcharged shot. there wont be much left of them after this

I’ve used this in pve/wvw and it is extremely effective.

In wvw I barely ever loose 1v1, and have won 1v2 on multiple occasions. Try to dominate enemy with cc and burst from the rifle and ff, use flame jet when other skills are on cooldown or when enemy is very mobile. You are extremely resilient to enemy cc and should be able to dodge almost everything.

I made this build because I was sick of using grenades/hgh pistols. Hope its useful!

edit.

If you are running with the zerg in wvw, use omnom compote food and pistol/shield with sigil restoration + sigil stamina. You can also use tankier trinkets (see edit 2).

edit 2

For even more survivability, such as in zerg combat, I sometimes run with 2 soldier rings (ascended) and 2 emerald soldier accessories, gives me a lot more health and toughness, and 70% total crit damage, 50% chance with fury. I am also using automated response instead of invigorating speed in zergs atm for added anti-condi, but this is apparently getting nerfed soon so…

(edited by DrMatt.9408)

in Engineer

Posted by: Nate.6974

Nate.6974

I like the looks of it, been thinking of trying something like this out. Def check it out later.

in Engineer

DrMatt.9408

glad you like it, ive had some fun duels in wvw today with this :P

in Engineer

DrMatt.9408

One skill rotation is: flameblast then flamejet at close range to open combat, netshot to immobilize, napalm on top of them, acid bomb away to blast the fire field, jumpshot back into action to get the leap finisher, blunderbuss, overcharged shot. there wont be much left of them after this

in Engineer

Posted by: Genesis.8572

Genesis.8572

Does “Leg Mods” work since both the FT and EG are considered “weapon kits.”

Will Hawkins (Human Guardian)
Feryl Grimsteel (Charr Engineer)
Tarnished Coast

in Engineer

DrMatt.9408

why wouldn’t it? certainly seems to be doing something as cripples basically arent a problem

in Engineer

Posted by: Genesis.8572

Genesis.8572

Oh, yes. “Leg Mods” was updated.

Will Hawkins (Human Guardian)
Feryl Grimsteel (Charr Engineer)
Tarnished Coast

in Engineer

DrMatt.9408

ye, Im assuming btw that leg mods stacks with the food condition duration reduction, its hard to see whether this is the case when in fights though. would be interested to hear about this

in Engineer

Posted by: Assassin.7890

Assassin.7890

@DrMatt

I hit lvl 80 recently and only got a full berserker Set. Since I want to give your build a try, please tell me, where do I get this stuff the best:
Trinkets -

- Soldier Emerald Backpiece
– Knight’s (ascended) amulet
– Berserker (ascended) accessory x2, ring x2,

in Engineer

Assassin.7890

.. and whats about switching fireforged trigger to sitting duck? I like the new trait alot

in Engineer

DrMatt.9408

the reduced cooldown from fireforged trigger on the ff and eg is very nice, but sitting duck is cool as well. sitting duck might be better in short 1v1 duels.

you can get the soldier backpiece easily for karma from the grenth temple npc, the ascended stuff is available for laurels etc but exotic versions should be fine also, (emerald jewel for knight amulet and ruby jewels for berserker stuff), the end stats will jsut be a little lower. soldier armour you can also get from various temple npcs for karma, as well as other places

in Engineer

Assassin.7890

Î changed Elix B to rocket boots so I can utilize combo fields more often. This is nice since we can get wheter area might, or retalliation. Both usefull in large scaled battles
If you switch leg mod to speedy kits, you can move 900 units every 16 secs, might be better to mitigate some Dmg… And for food maybe -40% cond. duration?

in Engineer

Posted by: Malvado.1460

Malvado.1460

i like it nice post

in Engineer

DrMatt.9408

ye 40% food is better but costs soo much :p I like the idea of rockets boots, you are basicslly adding to your initial burst (and have 80% fury uptime) but loosing out on retaliation, although you also get an awesome blast finisher. im going to keep legmods because the combination with food is in theory awesome, although I would like official confirmation that they stack together.

in Engineer

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

This is very similar to what I came up with last night. Same trait allocation, only I took Speedy Gadgets instead of Leg Mods in Tools and Backpack Regenerator instead of Invigorating Speed, although that was a tough decision.

I took Speedy Gadgets because this new patch made gadgets so enticing to play around with so instead of Elixir B I’m experimenting with Rocket Boots: low CD burn on toolbelt and nice gap closer for my FT (or escape) and another blast finisher. I figure with Rocket Boots I won’t need Invigorating Speed.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Engineer

DrMatt.9408

ye I might try rocket boots, retaliation is soo nice though :p

in Engineer

Posted by: Phineas Poe.3018

Phineas Poe.3018

I now run something similar. Only difference is that I take 10 points out of Alchemy and put it into Firearms and Tools for Target The Maimed and Enduring Damage (0/25/0/20/25).

This gives me a 15% increase in my Flamethrower’s damage output, which is more than Energy Conversion Matrix could do (1% per boon). I also don’t think Protection Injection is all that useful in PvE, but that’s just me.

Also: Definitely try out Rocket Boots. Rocket Kick gives a considerable amount of burning damage that synergizes well with Flame Jet’s passive 10% increase to burning targets. Without Incendiary Powder, you’re not applying enough, especially if you’re using the Rifle over your Pistol (which has Blowtorch). If you do, swap out Leg Mods for Speedy Gadgets giving you a pretty fast Blast finisher to use in Water or Fire fields.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

(edited by Phineas Poe.3018)

in Engineer

DrMatt.9408

Interesting point about getting those minor traits for 5 each, although as soon as you dodge you loose enduring damage, and target the maimed is reliant on the target bleeding. In this build ECM will give you 5% damage increase constantly as you should be running 5 boons at least during battles.

I’m using leg mods and protection injection mainly because they significantly improve your survivability in wvw. If you get stunned/dazed/feared PI can save your life. However I take the point that in general pve they should probably be swapped out for other traits. You could swap PI for backpack regenerator as mentioned above, and swap leg mods for something else. I’m going to keep the trait point set up the same though so I don’t end up loosing 1000 health and 10% boon duration.

Also remember my take on the build is focussed on burst damage and single target cc with the rifle, ff and acid bomb, the burning is just extra. You get 9secs burning from incendiary ammo and more from napalm etc which is a decent amount in a quick fight and will ensure that your initial burst gets the 10% damage increase.

I may have to swap elixir B for rockets boots though as it should work really well with the build, although you will loose some survivability. Will report back the results once Ive played with it in wvw tnight

(edited by DrMatt.9408)

in Engineer

Posted by: hazahampo.4286

hazahampo.4286

Not sure if i’m being an idiot or something, but when i try to put this into a build calculator to get juggernaut major trait i have to go 30 into firearms has this just been a recent update or something and build calculators haven’t changed yet?

Rishi The Pink-Warrior Lyss Braveheart-Mesmer

in Engineer

Posted by: ShadowPuppet.3746

ShadowPuppet.3746

Not sure if i’m being an idiot or something, but when i try to put this into a build calculator to get juggernaut major trait i have to go 30 into firearms has this just been a recent update or something and build calculators haven’t changed yet?

Yes it just changed on the 25th

in Engineer

Posted by: hazahampo.4286

hazahampo.4286

ah that would make sense :p

Rishi The Pink-Warrior Lyss Braveheart-Mesmer

in Engineer

DrMatt.9408

ok what I came up with is replace leg mods with packaged stimulants, which is actually an awesome upgrade for the medkit and will decrease the cooldown on drop stimulant so that you can still have perma might if you replace elixir b with something else, as well as better healing and team support to boot. I personally replaced elixir b with elixir c for the extra condition removal, which also synergises well with our long boon duration. had a few successful 1v2s with this set up tnight. rocket boots also worked well but I found that the build already has loots of ‘leaping’ in it, eg jump shot, acid bomb, and in the end I didnt make best use of it. might have just been me though!

(edited by DrMatt.9408)

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

Interesting point about getting those minor traits for 5 each, although as soon as you dodge you loose enduring damage, and target the maimed is reliant on the target bleeding. In this build ECM will give you 5% damage increase constantly as you should be running 5 boons at least during battles.

Every target you attack should be bleeding because the Flamethrower stacks it through Sharpshooter. This is a non-issue.

And about Enduring Damage: if you think you’ll be dodging a lot, then sink the 5 points into Energy Conversion Matrix. I just think you’re leaving a lot of damage on the table putting a full 30 into Alchemy.

10% extra damage is significant, even if temporary: a lot more to your “burst” than anything Energy Conversion Matrix will give, especially when paired with Scholar runes.

I’m using leg mods and protection injection mainly because they significantly improve your survivability in wvw. If you get stunned/dazed/feared PI can save your life. However I take the point that in general pve they should probably be swapped out for other traits. You could swap PI for backpack regenerator as mentioned above, and swap leg mods for something else. I’m going to keep the trait point set up the same though so I don’t end up loosing 1000 health and 10% boon duration.

Sure. In WvW I use Protection Injection too. But in dungeons? Not really. You can swap to Backpack Regenerator, but the point is that you’re really not gaining anything by sinking that final 5 points into Alchemy. And when it costs 3.5 silver to respec your traits, I don’t really see why you shouldn’t be optimizing your Flamethrower for dungeons when you do take it there.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

DrMatt.9408

I’ve played around some more and tbh, Im going to keep using the above build in wvw. protection injection and leg mods are just too good to give up, and elixir B/drop stimulants combo ensures I always have fury up, which is key to the builds damage output (it is difficult to micromanage fury just on drop stimulants in a tough fight). I take the point that the build could be optimised further for general pve, although I have to say that it already works very well as it is Going 25 firearms, 20 alchemy and 25 tools would def work, you’d just be a little more squishy. In this situation I would swap leg mods for packaged stimulants and take elixir C instead of B. I would also use chocolate omnomberry creams to get the extra 20% boon duration and 40% MF, as elixir C should take care of the condition problem, which isnt so bad in pve anyway.

in Engineer

DrMatt.9408

edited main post (at the bottom) based on thoughts and feedback. thanks guys

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

I’ve played around some more and tbh, Im going to keep using the above build in wvw. protection injection and leg mods are just too good to give up.

I don’t use 0/25/0/20/25 in WvW; it’s purely a PvE spec.

Apologies if I didn’t make myself clear on that.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

DrMatt.9408

ye no problem mate, I checked out your guide on the guru, was really interesting. I have a zerker armour set with divinity runes from my grenade spam days so might pop it on and give your build a go in fractals

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

That would depend. What level Fractal? The Flamethrower is not going to ever be as strong as the Bomb Kit or Grenade Kit in DPS given its native 200 passive Toughness, so I’m not sure it’s the best choice for top-tier runs where speed is everything.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

DrMatt.9408

This build works in lvl 30 fractals fine, it has the right balance of damage, survivability and support. I don’t personally plan to play lvl 40 or above fractals atm so not sure how effective it will be there.

edit, main post updated with advised tweaks for PVE use, trait point allocation/gear remains the same.

(edited by DrMatt.9408)

in Engineer

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

I use a very similar build, except use rocket boots instead of the elixir B, and change the traits/runes a bit for more survivability:

-5 explosives: drop a bomb on dodge (I dodge a lot and play pretty kite-y – see below)
-10 firearms: fireforged trigger
-10 inventions: explosive decent (great in wvw)
-30 alchemy: invigorating speed, protection injection, automated response
-15 in tools: speedy kits + get back heal + stun-break at 25%

I also take superior sigil of energy and 6x superior rune of the adventurer for 50% more endurance every 10s by swapping in and out of medkit. This build gets to dodge a lot, and the med-kit synchs very well with “on heal ability” runes.

Build editor:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcAQFAUl0pyaX3y3F1bJx4DdOUhBDqQdF9I/63xfFA-jwyAoLEMGA9BgAhk9KiGbptIasqaA9Cm6cR1mbA3BjWtMALbB-e

in Engineer

DrMatt.9408

have you tried using juggernaut? you are losing out on 200 toughness when wielding the ff by not using it. like the high mobility though!

also I’d be interested to know how effective automated response is since the recent change, I havent tried it yet, Id imagine it would work nicely with elixir C though

(edited by DrMatt.9408)

in Engineer

Posted by: Langeist.3675

Langeist.3675

“-50+50 = 100% crit damage bonus”

I am confused as to where you are getting the bonus +50 crit damage bonus to get 100%.

in Engineer

Posted by: Alkaholic.3875

Alkaholic.3875

Would love to see a video of this in action, particularly handling thieves.

in Engineer

DrMatt.9408

“-50+50 = 100% crit damage bonus”

I am confused as to where you are getting the bonus +50 crit damage bonus to get 100%.

‘Critical hits have a base damage multiplier of 150% to the base damage of the attack. Critical Damage is added to the damage multiplier as a percentage. For example, 50 (+50%) Critical Damage results in 200% damage multiplier on critical hits.’

From wiki, guess what I was trying to say is that you have enough crit bonus with this build to do double damage on critical hit.

in Engineer

DrMatt.9408

Would love to see a video of this in action, particularly handling thieves.

Thieves are not a problem with this build trust me. The hardest class to face are probably mesmers spamming clones, as its hard to know what to target :p

in Engineer

Posted by: Finlay.7253

Finlay.7253

How is this build in zergfights? Do you have to position yourself always in the first row or is it effective in the rear lines too?

“A man that flies from his fear may find
that he has only taken a short cut to
meet it.” – J.R.R. Tolkien

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

Do you have to position yourself always in the first row or is it effective in the rear lines too?

Given the Flamethrower’s pretty short range, you should situate yourself at or near the front line. I usually try not to be the first one in, but sitting in the middle of the pack with the Flamethrower will net very poor results in bag drops.

As for how it performs: I run a build slightly different for WvW, but the Flamethrower is exceptional when built around it. It’s a great badge tagger and can be used to shoot through doors to destroy siege when defending towers.

If you find yourself getting crushed by conditions, slot in Elixir C as your third utility, or get another Engineer in your guild to tag along with you and Fumigate each other as necessary. I usually make a point to spew it around every time it’s available during zerg fights.

Conversely, if you find yourself getting crushed by a lot of direct damage—namely ranged attacks—feel free to slot in Elixir U for its Toss ability providing a projectile wall. The utility itself is less useful, but can be nice if you need the burst in damage.

Elixir B is a suitable choice for most situations in WvW. It gives you Retaliation, Swiftness, and Fury. Pretty much the best all-around elixir you can use. But there are times where other skills are preferred.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

DrMatt.9408

Yep flamer is awesome in zergs, just make sure you use some tankier trinkets (see edit 2). As wvw people will tell you, staying alive and tagging as much as possible is the most important thing in zerg combat, the latter helping the former by giving you more regen from omnomberry compote. If enemy zergs are condition heavy consider using elixir C instead of B, and swap protection injection for automated response.

also killing enemies through doors never gets old :P you can use air blast to knock people off rams as well

(edited by DrMatt.9408)

in Engineer

Posted by: DadMcFatherton.6781

DadMcFatherton.6781

Flamer IMO is bad in zergs for WvW, they only hit 3 people and half of them probably already have burning due to guardian buffs. Grenade/Bomb kit is much better because they hit 5 people, much larger radius (especially when upgraded) and you can take advantage of each ability. If you’re going for tags, grenade kit all the way. Maximum potential of 15 tags per throw with grenadier plus you get the vulnerability on all of em.

I also prefer to have at least 10 points in elixirs (I do 20 for backpack regen) and 10 points in tools so that I can switch between the perma swfitness/vigor (with rocket boots for extra maneuverability and disengage) or having the 25% elixir S pop and lightning charge on tool use (with Elixir S instead of rocket boots) Both are good, but the elixir S is especially useful if I’m outmanned and trying to get inside a base or something.

in Engineer

DrMatt.9408

Not really relevant in a ff thread mate but fair enough, although good luck charging into the melee with the commander if you are running a zerker nade build. Goes without saying that this is a close range build, not long range. If defending a keep, grenades from walls are very good, I’m not denying that, I used to run grenades myself.

Also if the battle turns into a lagfest, its easier to use the ff than grenade kit, which is 1 of the reasons I changed the first place.

(edited by DrMatt.9408)

in Engineer

Posted by: SmallCat.7413

SmallCat.7413

guardian: “stand your ground!”
you: 230 retaliation damage * 5 people * 10 hit = 12500

forget the Flamethrower,you need grenade or bomb in WvW

in Engineer

Phineas Poe.3018

Also if the battle turns into a lagfest, its easier to use the ff than grenade kit, which is 1 of the reasons I changed the first place.

Precisely. This.

I know that the Grenade Kit on paper seems like a good option. But when attacking a Garrison? Defending Stonemist? I’ve tried wielding it in WvW and I just don’t think it’s very good in large scale combat. Plus Retaliation hits you just as badly with it as the Flamethrower.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Posted by: Cronkolo.3469

Cronkolo.3469

This is my “alternative” version for a build with Elixir-Gun/Flamethrower (PvE):

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fcQQJAqelIqyaX3y2F19IBoH1t+3V0D93YL/pw8B-jgxAYrASQAoCgJwioxWcLiGrylIqGA-e

Attack: 3068 (3668 with Might at 10 and 250 Power from Sigil of Bloodlust)
Critical Chance: +51% (
71% with Fury), Critical Damage: +57%
2 Combo Field Water (Healing turret & Regenerating Mist) + 1 Combo Field Light (Super-Elixir from EG)
Total Healing: ~10500 + Cures 3 Condition at AoE every 20 seconds (without Combo)
10 stacks of Vulnerability for 8 seconds every 30
2 Combo Finisher: Blast (Detonate Healing Turret & Acid Bomb from EG)
You can use “Rocket boots” instead “Utility goggles” for a third Combo Finisher: Blast
Armor: 2556 with Flamethrower, Health 18082

What do you think?
Sorry for my english

in Engineer

Posted by: shouzama.1354

shouzama.1354

Spent a while working out this new build, here it is:
(cut)
2x sup monk, 2x sup fire, 2x sup water runes
(cut)

Quick suggestion: remove 2x sup fire and 2x sup monk, add 4x Altruism.

Enjoy 3 (actually, 6) additional stacks of might (you lose 20% might duration, but gain 3 stacks of might) every 10 seconds (if you keep up with the swapping)

in Engineer

Posted by: Mord.9237

Mord.9237

Fresh 80 here, I come from well armored classes, warrior and guardian and WvW is my poison! I could care less about min maxing pve really! But that’s just a personal preference. I’m currently running Mask’s version of P/P HgH build and loving it, the confusion, the in your face combat etc! But personally missing some survivability and find myself getting bursted down by thieves, but that’s mainly due to not being used to my utilities, the tool kit block, elixir s, etc! I’m sure once I get used to that I’ll have no problems. I thoroughly enjoy roaming which is why I picked up Mask’s build to learn and enjoy. I’m curious how much luck you’ve had roaming or is this more of a group/Zerg build? How good is it roaming as far as survivability/getaways/mobility, what are its burst capabilities to actually kill a target without them escaping, and how survivable is it? It sounds fairly tanky based on the gear but has great power and crit through perma fury, it looks like it might be more geared towards what I’m looking for in a class but still maintain the engi feeling of a class with the flamethrower!

Any and all answers to my somewhat lengthy post would be much appreciated!

-Mord

“Do or do not, there is no try.”
Engi Build Compilation

(edited by Mord.9237)

in Engineer

DrMatt.9408

sorry for the very late response, took a hiatus from the game! updated the main post with the suggestion about using 4 altruism runes and 2 monk, works well (thanks shouzama). elixir b toolbelt is now also a source of stability as you know. everything else is still the same and I’ve had fun with it today in the new wvw meta

in Engineer

DrMatt.9408

Fresh 80 here, I come from well armored classes, warrior and guardian and WvW is my poison! I could care less about min maxing pve really! But that’s just a personal preference. I’m currently running Mask’s version of P/P HgH build and loving it, the confusion, the in your face combat etc! But personally missing some survivability and find myself getting bursted down by thieves, but that’s mainly due to not being used to my utilities, the tool kit block, elixir s, etc! I’m sure once I get used to that I’ll have no problems. I thoroughly enjoy roaming which is why I picked up Mask’s build to learn and enjoy. I’m curious how much luck you’ve had roaming or is this more of a group/Zerg build? How good is it roaming as far as survivability/getaways/mobility, what are its burst capabilities to actually kill a target without them escaping, and how survivable is it? It sounds fairly tanky based on the gear but has great power and crit through perma fury, it looks like it might be more geared towards what I’m looking for in a class but still maintain the engi feeling of a class with the flamethrower!

Any and all answers to my somewhat lengthy post would be much appreciated!

-Mord

This build is very good for roaming and duels. In zergs add some tankier trinkets and go pistol/shield (see edit at bottom of build post). The key is intelligent use of the ff and rifle, which have great synergy when on the offensive. The eg and medkit provide all the utility you will need alongside elixir b and supply drop.

(edited by DrMatt.9408)