Hobo Sacks: A Terrible Fashion Statement

in Engineer

Posted by: Dex.7092

Dex.7092

All together now…

Yub nub, eee chop yub nub, toe meet toe pee chee keene, g’noop dock fling oh ah.

C’mon you know the words!

Hahahahah… Too fitting. XDD

I’ll admit, I didn’t mind the hobo sacks while levelling, but after hitting max they just clashed with everything. My techno-charr thanks you, Devs! Thank you for listening. <3

And for those few people who loved them—at least the starter back skin that you can pick for engi resembles them pretty closely. On an Asura I hardly think you could tell the difference…

your techno charr will holding garlics and holding bucket on crotch.

But at least the only people who have to see it are the people in front of me. I don’t often see the front of my character while wielding a kit… The backside though, staring at the sack was an eyesore. This is a VAST improvement.

in Engineer

Posted by: velhavn.7694

velhavn.7694

would it be more nice if engie looks good from front and back?
yes that is vast improvement, but with the same effort anet could do better,
and why not?

so please dont be satisfied with this.

in Engineer

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

the bomb does look like a joke I have to say

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

in Engineer

Posted by: Sold Out.7625

Sold Out.7625

The bomb looks like a giant toilet paper roll covered in wood and a new hobosack of its own.

The new grenades actually and quite literally make me uncomfortable. Couldn’t one or two grenades together have sufficed instead of this mess? Glad people are agreeing there.

The current grenade animations already have a hand bundle planned in; your character throws something invisile up and down in their right hand at this point in history. Running around with 20 brown grenades at once looks incredibly dumb.

The way you hold the bomb literally looks like you are trying to deliver something real quick before going to the toilet. I highly doubt the squatting will look any better.

Also, your character is looking like he’s attempting to eat the fuse now. What happened to the fancy magitech added to the medkit? Does our -necessary- grenade kit really quite literally have to look like balls?

Leader of the Free Winds – RP, community, and all kinds of fun.
Jara Ariasdottir (Soon all classes proper!)

(edited by Sold Out.7625)

in Engineer

Posted by: lakdav.3694

lakdav.3694

From the screenshots, my only small issue is with the Bomb Kit bomb, it looks too big still. For reference just look at the bomb-placement animation where it happens using one hand, thus suggesting that the bombs placed are not so big and heavy. I would suggest making them smaller, maximum the size of the barrel we see on the current bomb kit sack. Its not that much work on an already finished model, it reduces the ugliness of the actual thing a bit, and since its a close range weapon kit, it should be still visible enough to tell what the engi is using.

As for the suggestive jingling grenades… yeah, that was my first thought of them as well. While not as bad as the bomb and helluva lot better than the kit, i still think a grenade launcher kind of weapon would be better, especially if we still get a range expanding trait that makes us “throw” grenades further than pistol and rifle bullets travel.

in Engineer

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

I’m going to hold the grape grenades in my hand and I’m going to like it.

[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry

in Engineer

Sold Out.7625

I’ll write the unthinkable…

I prefer the hobosack to having incredibly suggestive dingle-dangle-balls in my right hand.

I prefer the hobosack to my character holding a -giant- toilet paper roll with a fuse and attempting to eat the fuse.

I’m so sorry because I hate the hobosack.

I mained engineer since the day I got into gw2 now. But this -new- visual issue might be a class changer to me where I’ll just stick with eles from now.

Attachments:

in Engineer

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

Hopefully they’ll be fine-tuning things between now and release. Maybe they’ll even start releasing skins.

Also, I don’t…really see the ‘incredibly suggestive’ bit about the grenades; if anything, they look like a bundle of eyeballs to me, and that’s probably just because I’ve been playing the eye-obsessed Bloodborne. There’s also a passing resemblance to grapes, as noted. Otherwise, I’d just see a bunch of sack-like mini-bombs with ropes on.

I’d really rather the Grenade Kit be a Grenade Launcher, that said, but at least the Hobosack is going to be gone. Sure, it took this bloody long, and that’s disgusting, but give is give.

in Engineer

Posted by: customhell.2594

customhell.2594

Thank you so much for getting rid of hobo sacks! I’m not liking the bomb look either :/ I’d love grenades to fire out of a launcher too (Scarlet’s Kiss comes to mind). Can’t wait to see the final results.

in Engineer

Sold Out.7625

Okay! I just watched the stream again and in -best- quality this time. There are some additional notes to be made.

The bomb kit look that is a thing right now will -definitely- be changed. It’s a WIP, and they didn’t even use bomb skills with it yet because that’s a ‘rough draft’.

The grenades look a -bit- worse on that screenshot, i must say, thanks to blur and low quality. And the really weird post processing they have going on in the Heart of the Mists. They have a bit more of a stiff shape and look less than dingle-dangles at high resolution.

The reason they did the grenades like this is that our characters do left handed throws, grabbing from the right hand. So basically the animation will be perfectly in line with this thing now. It’s not pretty, but who knows if they won’t improve the texture.

I think I can finally rest. I think… the hobosacks are coming to an end.

Also, that syringe glove on the left wrist with medkit looks pretty kitten. The good kind of kittykat.

(edited by Sold Out.7625)

in Engineer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

spits bleed … ugh … my friends … the war … is finally … uhhhh … over …

we …

yes WE …

have won … cough

I love you guys . . . . . .

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

in Engineer

Posted by: Cold Hearted Person.6154

Cold Hearted Person.6154

People, the thing you saw on stream or on images from stream are a WIP, they said it many times that its not the actual or finall look, it just a temp, a place holder.

So, STOP PANICKING

(edited by Cold Hearted Person.6154)

in Engineer

Sold Out.7625

WORDS!

AAAAH! DID YOU HEAR THAT? HE SAID ‘EVERYBODY PANIC’! AAAAAH!

in Engineer

Posted by: Gern.2978

Gern.2978

OUR DAY OF SALVATION HAS ARRIVED!

I’M SO EXCITED THAT I CANNOT EXPRESS IT WITHOUT A CHILDISH USE OF CAPS-LOCK AND RAND PAUL!

Hi, my name is Gern, and I’m an altoholic….

(edited by Gern.2978)

in Engineer

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

I’ll write the unthinkable…

I prefer the hobosack to having incredibly suggestive dingle-dangle-balls in my right hand.

I prefer the hobosack to my character holding a -giant- toilet paper roll with a fuse and attempting to eat the fuse.

I’m so sorry because I hate the hobosack.

I mained engineer since the day I got into gw2 now. But this -new- visual issue might be a class changer to me where I’ll just stick with eles from now.

HAHAHA, Honestly I hadn’t thought of that but yeah it looks like you have a string of … yeah…I mean I heard about soldiers collecting ears but these? man Engi’s are sick

Still very happy with the change.

in Engineer

Posted by: RabbitUp.8294

RabbitUp.8294

People, the thing you saw on stream or on images from stream are a WIP, they said it many times that its not the actual or finall look, it just a temp, a place holder.

So, STOP PANICKING

They even called those grenades grapes and onions themselves. They are working on the visuals.

in Engineer

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

Will it be an option to toggle them on or off? I’ll be disappointed if they remove them entirely. It’s a nice aesthetic feature and adds to immersion to my engineer.

in Engineer

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

not final yet, but they are workin on it \o/ bomb/granade/med

Wow, that looks terrible. Thanks to all the whiners for getting this changed.

Now it just looks ridiculous to see an engineer pull a huge keg of powder out of thin air.
I hope there’s an even bigger backlash against this from people in game. The forum whiners are a small minority and Anet totally caved.

(edited by nexxe.7081)

in Engineer

Posted by: digitalruse.9085

digitalruse.9085

My hope is that the new bundles are generic looking enough for all the races. Ideally, it would still be nice if the kits were more race specific, but I know that is a pipe dream. That said, as an Asuran Engi, the Charr look of the kits was always rather jarring with my character.

I welcome the change, believe me, cause nothing made hobosacks look good.

Qwerkk – Asuran Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: MrAptronym.2846

MrAptronym.2846

OUR DAY OF SALVATION HAS ARRIVED!

I’M SO EXCITED THAT I CANNOT EXPRESS IT WITHOUT A CHILDISH USE OF CAPS-LOCK AND RAND PAUL!

That’s Ron Paul! Get your fringe conservative candidates straight!

Also, I like the change, and I like the grenade bundle, but that bomb kit looks terrible.

in Engineer

Posted by: Bronze Knight.9231

Bronze Knight.9231

Yeah I think this is a step in the right direction. Would still like some options…

( I’m stating to have flashbacks to MasterMind customisation issues from City of Villains)

Also Devs Grenades come a number of different shapes….

Attachments:

Just let me know when the PVE/PVP skill separation happens.

Can Engi please have more than one viable skill set in PVE? Turrets maybe?

in Engineer

Posted by: A Volcano.2510

A Volcano.2510

Hooray! Thanks devs! Glad to hear that the hobo sack is no more.

in Engineer

Posted by: Piogre.2164

Piogre.2164

people, please dont be satisfied easily, lets keep complainin and give some suggestion to anet.

Responses like this are why Anet is loathe to make changes people want. Hell, I’d have liked the held grenade item to be a grenade launcher, but I’m not complaining.

Anet, thank you very much for finally making this change. 100% support for this; well done.

[VIG], SoR
Main: Asuran Engineer — Alt 80’s Ra-T-M-G-El-N-W-En-En-Re-Ra
Doctorate in Applied Jumping

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

people, please dont be satisfied easily, lets keep complainin and give some suggestion to anet.

Responses like this are why Anet is loathe to make changes people want. Hell, I’d have liked the held grenade item to be a grenade launcher, but I’m not complaining.

Anet, thank you very much for finally making this change. 100% support for this; well done.

We did get literally what we wanted, as long as what we wanted was the elimination of the Hobosack. They’re still working on the replacement Kit Tell, but I really don’t think there’s much ground to keep this thread…well, this thread. It’s done.

in Engineer

Adamantium.3682

Completely agreed. Not only that but what sort of credibility do we have if there’s another big issue to push on in the future? “well we fixed hobosacks and they still complained before one single day went by, they’re never going to be happy no matter what we do”.

This is a big deal guys. Maybe it shouldn’t be I’ll agree with you there, but give credit where it is due. They fixed the hobosacks. At least wait awhile before you join the next lynch mob.

Jade Quarry

in Engineer

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

I just returned for my monthly check of this thread, to find… GOOD NEWS!

When is this taking effect? I’m super excited! Any concrete dates on when/how?

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

It’ll probably happen with the release of Heart of Thorns, I think.

in Engineer

Adamantium.3682

Note that general specialization changes go live before HOT, with the elite coming with HOT. We may get the fix in the general specialization patch since that is going to be a very large update.

I would count on the HOT release though and be pleasantly surprised if it’s earlier.

Jade Quarry

in Engineer

Gern.2978

There’s actually a lot of talk suggesting that the new traits system will be implemented before HoT is released. And since this was presented alongside the new trait system, I would bet that the Hobosack removal will be implemented with that system.

Also, A-net. Thank you. It took you 2 years, but still, thank you. Ignore the nay-sayers, they are obviously people who will never be pleased.

in Engineer

Posted by: Jack.4082

Jack.4082

I think they should rather do it right than fast. I am absolutely willing to wait for HoT if that means we get cooler looking kit replacements.
I am so happy to know that hobo sacks’ days are over soon.

in Engineer

Tolmos.8395

Also, A-net. Thank you. It took you 2 years, but still, thank you. Ignore the nay-sayers, they are obviously people who will never be pleased.

I agree with this. Even if some of the new kits (like the bomb) looks silly… I’d rather look a little silly than wear the hobosack =D

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

…wow, okay, I did not expect that. That is interesting. Perhaps Hobosacks will be gone before HoT. Here’s hoping!

in Engineer

Posted by: Oh My God.8423

Oh My God.8423

The new Bomb Kit needs to be a lot more stylish. Most people do point out that it looks awful. I do not think it needs to be held with two hands. The rubble-carrying animation does not look at all like it is in-combat.

In fact something that looks ok at level 1 does not translate well at level 80 when by then the character will very likely be wearing gears that look way more advanced and stylish. So the new kits design have to look good on a level 80 character instead. The proposed new kits are just too dull and crude. I hope they are just place holder for now.

There is no reason why it cannot be something smaller holding with one hand. Something bomb like with an obvious fuse on top would do nicely, I suppose.

By the Flamethrower does come with some sort of Hobo sack as well. Is it going to be replaced too?

in Engineer

Posted by: glehmann.9586

glehmann.9586

Regarding the Grenades: Phil Ken Sebben’s reaction

There are still a few kit related issues I’d love to see dealt with (even without hobosacks, most of the kits don’t look particularly impressive compared to all the awesome level 80 gear, they still hide your legendary weapons and presumably legendary weapon effects), but I’m pretty kitten happy that I’ll be able to see my spinal blades as I hose my enemies with flames.

in Engineer

Posted by: velhavn.7694

velhavn.7694

Completely agreed. Not only that but what sort of credibility do we have if there’s another big issue to push on in the future? “well we fixed hobosacks and they still complained before one single day went by, they’re never going to be happy no matter what we do”.

This is a big deal guys. Maybe it shouldn’t be I’ll agree with you there, but give credit where it is due. They fixed the hobosacks. At least wait awhile before you join the next lynch mob.

sry for bad english

it’s still ugly, whats wrong with complains? we have been compalining hobosack for 2 years.
it tooks them 2 years to fix this issues, and they give us dangly garlic and bucket on crotch.
i know its still work in progress, but whats wrong with giving them good sugestion and let them know that its still ugly. there are some good design in this thread.

right now we just being happy hobosack is gone, but if we get satisfied with it, then we will stuck with dangly garlic and bucket until who knows when, they want to see our response, there. i give my response, its ugly.

(edited by velhavn.7694)

in Engineer

Oh My God.8423

Well… if the devs insist on giving us that ugly new bomb graphic, we could perhaps start a new thread called “bring back the Hobosack!”… and wait for another 2 years…

in Engineer

RabbitUp.8294

Well… if the devs insist on giving us that ugly new bomb graphic, we could perhaps start a new thread called “bring back the Hobosack!”… and wait for another 2 years…

C’mon people, they were actually hesitant to show it live and kept saying how it was a rough sketch, a work in progress and made fun of the onion grenades. Even the med kit which looks awesome (a wrist-mounted syringe gun, how bad-kitten is that) is not finished.

Be constructive with your feedback. We are getting what we asked, no more hobosacks, now you can brainstorm and make meaningful suggestions about what those handheld bundles can look like, and how they can synergize with end game gear.

(edited by RabbitUp.8294)

in Engineer

Gern.2978

I do hope it’s not just the grenade kit and the med kit that lost the Hobosack. I want to see it gone from all kits, even the bomb kit. But, if bomb kit is the only one that still has the hobosack, I can live with it.

in Engineer

Tolmos.8395

Wonder if they could make it a checkbox in options? “Show Engineer Backpacks” vs not. If you don’t check it, you get the new stuff. If you do check it, you get the old stuff.

I’d keep that thing unchecked 100% of the time, but for all the people not liking the new designs, it could be an option.

in Engineer

Posted by: Nikkinella.8254

Nikkinella.8254

guys, someone needs to make a montage with sad music showing a bunch of engis with hobosacks doing stuff in slow motion and post it on here. So no one will ever forget the struggle. use this song https://youtu.be/0jlHz0wF0Ig

(edited by Nikkinella.8254)

in Engineer

Posted by: Witaminka.4650

Witaminka.4650

im still thinking about bomb kit, maybe make grapenades something like holding belt

Attachments:

GW1 – 4,100+ / GW2 – 10,300+ hours played
server jumper

in Engineer

Oh My God.8423

Allow me to put forward a suggestion: Cultural Kits! Kits that are in the same design style as each race T3 weapon sets.

in Engineer

Posted by: Tskales.2804

Tskales.2804

This is fantastic news. Still ridiculous that it took years for them to change this, while designing and selling turds through the gem store.

So we get rid of hobosacks, buuuuut…

https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/189272/Przechwytywanie_1.JPG We get this atrocity. We can hold fizzy toilet barrels at our crotch height now.

https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/189273/Przechwytywanie_2.JPG And we get extremely suggestive balls on a string!

Even though the current grenade kit animations already -have- a space where a grenade could be put. You know, a single one, not fifteen of them. Your character would actually even chuck it up and catch it in his / her hand. But instead we get a whole strand of garlic balls.

Yay?

It appears we only won a battle, not the war.

Now, we ride north.

“I’m sure glad that A-net is spending the 20 minutes or so that it would take to remove
the hobosack on making more important additions to the game.
Like golden pigs for the gem store” – Gern.2978

in Engineer

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

This is fantastic news. Still ridiculous that it took years for them to change this, while designing and selling turds through the gem store.

So we get rid of hobosacks, buuuuut…

https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/189272/Przechwytywanie_1.JPG We get this atrocity. We can hold fizzy toilet barrels at our crotch height now.

https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/189273/Przechwytywanie_2.JPG And we get extremely suggestive balls on a string!

Even though the current grenade kit animations already -have- a space where a grenade could be put. You know, a single one, not fifteen of them. Your character would actually even chuck it up and catch it in his / her hand. But instead we get a whole strand of garlic balls.

Yay?

It appears we only won a battle, not the war.

Now, we ride north.

thats actually just a “rough draft” and work in progress like the devs said. Nothing is final, they just goof arround to see what sticks.

in Engineer

Posted by: Witaminka.4650

Witaminka.4650

from skech to quick, basic render, can we hold belt with grape-nades?

Attachments:

GW1 – 4,100+ / GW2 – 10,300+ hours played
server jumper

in Engineer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

No belts pls … they ruin the visual appearence too. Something in the hands is the best solution.

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

in Engineer

Posted by: Assassin.7890

Assassin.7890

Could someone post the link to the information? Didn’t find it on their YouTube channel
thanks in advance

in Engineer

Gern.2978

I am happy with the changes. Bomb kit needs work, and is being worked on. I really hope they remove the hobosack for it as well.

I honestly find the string of onion grenades hilarious.

in Engineer

RabbitUp.8294

from skech to quick, basic render, can we hold belt with grape-nades?

That looks quite nice. Good job.

No belts pls … they ruin the visual appearence too. Something in the hands is the best solution.

I assume Witaminka is not talking about an actual belt around the waist, but a leather strap like the one in the 3d render. The strap going upwards is the one the engi is going to hold in their hand.

Could someone post the link to the information? Didn’t find it on their YouTube channel
thanks in advance

http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2/c/6594135

Engi starts at 1h57m or so

(edited by RabbitUp.8294)

in Engineer

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

I honestly like the bomb kit look(except the backpack obviously). Holding a huge bomb is pretty neat.
The grenades are so horribly ugly there are no words to describe it.