Holosmith Sword/Pistol or Sword/Shield?

in Engineer

Posted by: Mercurias.1826

Mercurias.1826

Just curious what folks are planning to run. S/P gives a close range burn and a movement rebuff, while Sword/Shield gives blocks, KB, and Daze on huge timers.

I was personally going to run Sword/Shield with Spectrum Shield and Photon Wall for some added damage nullification rather than make the mistakes I did going into HoT and getting eaten alive by the sudden increase in difficulty. Elixir a Gun was going to get the last slot for condition cleansing.

What about you all?

in Engineer

Posted by: Maullus.1273

Maullus.1273

Just curious what folks are planning to run. S/P gives a close range burn and a movement rebuff, while Sword/Shield gives blocks, KB, and Daze on huge timers.

I was personally going to run Sword/Shield with Spectrum Shield and Photon Wall for some added damage nullification rather than make the mistakes I did going into HoT and getting eaten alive by the sudden increase in difficulty. Elixir a Gun was going to get the last slot for condition cleansing.

What about you all?

I just responded to the `Tanking as a Holosmith` thread and I love the idea of that, so probably sword/shield.

I have a question for you though: I just came back to the game after years away. I’m diving into the content I missed and I’m getting wrecked. What would you have done differently if you were doing that content again?

Mad Maullix
Tarnished Coast
Panic Time!

in Engineer

Posted by: Drawing Guy.3701

Drawing Guy.3701

I’m thinking of Pistol. Offhand Pistol works well in Melee range, and Solar Focusing Lens + Photonic Blasting Module combines well to throw out 8 burning stacks.

While shield has defensive benefits and hard CC, it is crippled by long cooldowns. Pistol 4 alone would out-DPS shield even on a pure zerker build. I really only see Shield in situations where the CC trumps out the DPS and soft CC of pistol.

Holosmith is looking like it will have some fun build options. A build that uses Explosives/Tools/Holo with Thermal Release valve for high damage dodges and max Forge usage. A Capacity build for high sustained Might and over-boosted skills. And a build where you can perma-boost heat skills and release a Overheat burst when needed (though likely the lowest Forge usage due to keeping charge and overheat downtime). Grandmasters that all will likely be used and be major aspects of builds instead of non-options too many face.

@Maullus – I’m assuming you’re talking about PvE due to the “content missed” comment. An Engineer is pretty reliant on their kits and tool belt skills, so if you’re relying mainly on your weapons, you’re hurting yourself. A Power engi using Bomb and Grenade kits is a pretty easy build to run with.

in Engineer

Posted by: Mercurias.1826

Mercurias.1826

I’m personally thinking shield. I like having blocks and cc.

This is my loose plan for starting PoF on my Holo: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQJAsenEID1IjFJDmcBcJjFDDbMHkgWB91weYQMMAMO2LA-jBCBABA8AAg4EAMlyvEM/lieAYVCS0+D4o+DpAiYrF-e

Basically blocks and dodges and cc with melee damage to control a battlefield.

in Engineer

Posted by: rabidsmiles.5926

rabidsmiles.5926

I am hoping shield is a viable option, I like the reflects and easy CC…and I am being completely selfish as I own Flameseeker Prophecies and I would love to be able to use it on the Holo. Off hand pistol might remain the damage choice.