Turrets and Dungeons: Is there some way to make Turrets tougher?

in Engineer

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

While playing through Twilight Arbor, I noticed something – something I’d noticed in Caudecus Manor, but attributed to zergrushing enemies. What did I notice? Why, that I could drop all seven turrets I have available (thanks to four slotted turrets and a supply crate), and watch a single mook mob destroy every single one of them in a single AoE attack. At least, I’m pretty sure it was one attack – it was a Nightmare Hound using some kind of howl or something, which doesn’t have a whole lot of animation to it, so it might have been a couple using them at once.

Anyway, point is – is there a way to make Turrets tougher? I have Metal-Plated and Autotool Installation, and had them while going through the dungeon, but I might as well have not bothered for as much of a benefit as they gave. Admittedly, Autotool Installation does only work once every ten seconds, so it’s basically useless if you have to keep moving anyway, but still.

On a side-note, it’d be really nice if turrets were affected by their user’s stats instead of just their level. At least, I get the impression they’re only affected by level; I know I’ve seen it stated in a few threads that Healing Turret doesn’t scale with Healing Power, but that’s seemingly the only one people have noticed a lack of difference with.

Clarification: Not saying “Have our stats all affect the turrets in full,” but it’d be pretty nice for our stats to carry over to our turrets a little.

(edited by Anymras.5729)

in Engineer

Posted by: rykeru.6159

rykeru.6159

The only way to increase their effectiveness further than you already have seems to be to equip toolkit and heal the turrets yourself (although I find this ineffective as they still die quickly), or maybe get the trait ‘deployable turrets’ to place the turrets more tactically, but again they need to be in range, which usually means in the death zone…. I personally love using turrets, but I just find that they are not a viable option no matter what I do. I do hope they become more viable in the near future.

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

Deployable Turrets doesn’t work properly (but I do use the hell out of it), and yeah, the Toolkit’s pretty useless for healing them. I run a straight turret engineer, so them being, seemingly, entirely separate from my stats is…a bit of a pain.

in Engineer

rykeru.6159

I agree it would be a great idea to share stats, and I aswell would love to be a turret engineer. It’s a shame to hear the deployable turrets are not fixed yet, that’s one of the reasons I put it on a hiatus. I do tend to find healing turret useful as I just stick it next to me (I use grenades with a massive range so the turret is somewhat safe).
I also just had a thought, maybe instead of sharing stats, maybe a trait like “Shares 10% of toughness with turrets” or something, obviously with a bit more thought into it

(edited by rykeru.6159)

in Engineer

Posted by: Strifer.3507

Strifer.3507

These mobs usually even 1 or 2 shots a player. Having stats on turrets wouldn’t really help much.

I guess the proper solution would be to deploy your turrets discreetly and/or not lumping them together

in Engineer

rykeru.6159

I suppose that is true. I remember one of the CoF fights where you had to defend a small area was a big pain, but I suppose that is where you need to adapt. I’m not sure if there is a way, but it would be nice to choose where to place Supply crate, as to again tactically place turrets.
I’m not entirely sure how rangers work, but it would be nice to see the sort of pet relationship they have. I know it may be a bit off with engineers, but it would be nice…

(edited by rykeru.6159)

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

Stats on turrets might not help a ton, but it’d at least do something – it’s pretty silly that an Asura in his boxers with no weapons equipped has exactly the same turrets, if all traits are the same, as Gearbox The Mighty, Grand Kerfoffle of the Turretmeister’s Guild in his +Awesome Power gear. Seriously, there’s not even a Power link. It’s silly. Especially considering how awkward the Engineer’s relationship with equipment is to begin with – refer to any of the threads about how kits don’t work right for elucidation on that.

Not lumping the turrets together works okay if you actually have enough room to place them far enough apart, etcetera. Not sure what ‘deploy them discreetly’ means, but I sure don’t go running up on things and dropping them on their toes. Supply Crate randomizes the turret placement, but it lets you have potentially twice the turrets out at a time (incredibly handy)…until something AoEs them down because they only scale to level.

(edited by Anymras.5729)

in Engineer

Posted by: StevoSupremo.4037

StevoSupremo.4037

On a side-note, it’d be really nice if turrets were affected by their user’s stats instead of just their level. At least, I get the impression they’re only affected by level; I know I’ve seen it stated in a few threads that Healing Turret doesn’t scale with Healing Power, but that’s seemingly the only one people have noticed a lack of difference with.

Especially because Mesmer clones/illusions DO indeed stack with their stats (because they are technically spells not pets), thus contributing the how OP they are. Correct me if I’m wrong…

in Engineer

Posted by: Mongo.2490

Mongo.2490

Clones and phantasms die just as fast. Only difference is, mesmers can create them MUCH faster and they can be traited so that they’re intended to die, applying effects on death.

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

Looked up a couple things, apparently flame turrets don’t get Condition damage bonuses. Also stupid.

Do Clones/Phantasms get damage bonuses from the player’s stats? I see one person saying they do, one person saying they don’t – at least, I think that’s what they’re saying. I do know, from my brief experiences playing a Mesmer, that they can create Clones with their basic attacks and use their destruction to create various effects – only to make more a moment later. Never got around to making Phantasms, so I have no idea.