What's the deal with Mortar?

in Engineer

Posted by: WannabeHero.5489

WannabeHero.5489

Do we get to carry it now or something? If it’s still immobile I still wont use it. The f5 might be cool though.

in Engineer

Posted by: VitalSuit.1980

VitalSuit.1980

Do we get to carry it now or something? If it’s still immobile I still wont use it. The f5 might be cool though.

It’s a kit now.

in Engineer

WannabeHero.5489

That doesn’t answer my question though.

in Engineer

Posted by: Josh Davis.6015

Josh Davis.6015

Next

It’s a kit. All of the skills can be used while moving.

in Engineer

WannabeHero.5489

Thanks for the clarification, I’m excited to use it now!

in Engineer

Posted by: digitalruse.9085

digitalruse.9085

Can you confirm some of the questions about how the projectile finisher will work? The livestream made a point of talking about deploying the light field and condi cleansing, but given the way projectile finishers currently work it relies on the projectile making contact with a target. Or, is Mortar Kit 1 an AoE projectile so as long as it hits a field the finisher fires?

Qwerkk – Asuran Engineer

in Engineer

digitalruse.9085

Also, is MK#3 just a light field or is the intention for it to be a pulsing blind as well?

Qwerkk – Asuran Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Curious, will it have minimum ranges like the old Mortar? If not, sounds pretty sweet, one more thing to add to rotations. 5kit Engi ftw.

in Engineer

Posted by: EroticAndHeretic.7398

EroticAndHeretic.7398

My only question about mortar is: is it going to act like a kit? Using it and stowing it whenever you want?

in Engineer

Previous

Josh Davis.6015

Next

My only question about mortar is: is it going to act like a kit? Using it and stowing it whenever you want?

Yup

Curious, will it have minimum ranges like the old Mortar? If not, sounds pretty sweet, one more thing to add to rotations. 5kit Engi ftw.

No minimum range. Shoot it at your feet!

Also, is MK#3 just a light field or is the intention for it to be a pulsing blind as well?

The #4 is a light field and pulses blind with a 4s field duration.

in Engineer

Previous

Josh Davis.6015

Can you confirm some of the questions about how the projectile finisher will work? The livestream made a point of talking about deploying the light field and condi cleansing, but given the way projectile finishers currently work it relies on the projectile making contact with a target. Or, is Mortar Kit 1 an AoE projectile so as long as it hits a field the finisher fires?

As long as the projectile lands in the field or goes through it will give the combo pop-up – it doesn’t have to hit the target.

in Engineer

digitalruse.9085

As long as the projectile lands in the field or goes through it will give the combo pop-up – it doesn’t have to hit the target.

Nice! Thanks for responding!

Qwerkk – Asuran Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: EroticAndHeretic.7398

EroticAndHeretic.7398

Yup

Oh gods of Tyria, this is awesome! This plus the lack of minimum range restriction…

I knew that I would play this kit whatever would happen, but this is a really good thing to hear! After two years of forcing myself to use the supply crate…

Thanks for the response! (now I just need to see what it look likes, and if it’s held like Horrik’s cannon. But I can wait the update for that!)

in Engineer

Jerus.4350

Yup

Thanks.

in Engineer

Posted by: derppoo.9361

derppoo.9361

Do each of the racial elites receive an F5 toolbelt skill as well?

in Engineer

Posted by: Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

Nice! Thanks for responding!

In the stream the #4 was a frost field o.O Did the skills get shuffeled around abit?

in Engineer

Posted by: Dojo.1867

Dojo.1867

It’s a kit. All of the skills can be used while moving.

Where the icons of mortar/med kit all final? Some seemed rather placeholderish and seemed to deserve an own icon.

Also I liked medkit visually but you didn’t really show how the mortar looks. Is it just some kind of rifle?

in Engineer

Posted by: guildabd.6529

guildabd.6529

What will Stremlined Kits (Kit Refinement) do when you equip the mortar kit?

in Engineer

Posted by: Arioso.8519

Arioso.8519

What will Stremlined Kits (Kit Refinement) do when you equip the mortar kit?

Presumably it’ll drop a gunk pile with an ethereal field.

In other words, basically the skill that Thieves are able to steal off us for whatever reason.
(I still say Throw gear would have made more sense for them to get, but if we now actually have the thing they can steal from us, it makes a little more sense)

in Engineer

Posted by: speedbox.1473

speedbox.1473

Why didn’t anet change the name for it , if mobile its not a mortar anymore it’s more like a RPG ,bazooka kit now

in Engineer

Posted by: VitalSuit.1980

VitalSuit.1980

Why didn’t anet change the name for it , if mobile its not a mortar anymore it’s more like a RPG ,bazooka kit now

Not really. The M224 Mortar can be fired while being held although that’d be more like a last resort. It’s not like a handheld mokittenoesn’t exist.

in Engineer

Posted by: Vajra.3914

Vajra.3914

A question: Why did u not attain to the old plan, and made it blast finsiher when traited? Also since it’s no a blast finisher, why is it AA ground targeting?

in Engineer

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

so I can decide where I put my dmg down?
say, you have 2 opponents, A & B
they are standing far enough from each other that you wouldn’t hit B if you directly fire at A, since the aoe-impact is too small.
But by firing directly between A&B you can harass both and maximize the effectiveness of your AA.

Another example are Walls of reflection.
Targets that stand behind or in it would force every round you fire at them to get reflected back at you, if the AA were target-aimed. But since it’s ground-targeted you can decide to hit next or in-front of the wall, getting your aoe-pressure down without having to deal with AA’kittenting you back.

Another example is taunt:
This will be a very niche-example, but still a valid one. Lets say your target taunts you, while bringing up a wall of reflection. As long as you don’t stunbreak, you’d run towards them, being forced to auto-attack and with the added dmg from your target, you’d kill yourself. but since mortar is ground-targeted the AI will not fire it off, so you save half the devastating effect of taunt from happening.

Yes, ground-targeting means that your fingers will hurt. But it gives you superior control about how and when you want to strike enemies.

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

in Engineer

Posted by: Vajra.3914

Vajra.3914

But also means it’s way harder to hit, since auto would fire toward the direction the enemy is going, while ground targeting would just shot where u clicked, and keep the cursor position on the enemy is both hard and mentaly stressful (look at granade probelmatics).

in Engineer

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

you can still switch to rifle/pistol if you want to snare them reliably, but it seems that the mortar actually gets decent projectile-velocities with his attacks, so it should be easy to still hit moving targets on max-range with it, while also keeping the advantages posted above.
Also nades get fixed in that regard, since they receive a trait that increases their projectile-velocity and impact area, so they should be much easier to land, even on their now-max-range 900.

Yes, this can be stressful, but we wouldn’t play engi if we’d enjoy faceroll combat, right

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

in Engineer

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

Well, now I know what I’m going to be doing all day Tuesday.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

in Engineer

Jerus.4350

If people can swing around surfboard sized swords that are made out of some super dense material that never dulls, well, I have no problem believing that they can stand there and be the base for a Mortar.

in Engineer

Jerus.4350

Well, now I know what I’m going to be doing all day Tuesday.

Imagining your Michael Bay? BOOM BANG KABLOOIE.