Hammer Time!

Hammer Time!

in Guardian

Posted by: Aven.7295

Aven.7295

I really really REALLY want to love the Hammer for Guardian, but there are a few issues with it that i feel would need to be changed in order for it to be on par with other two handed weapons.

1. #2 skill Mighty Blow, i love this skill, except that i cant use it while moveing. There are too many times where i interupt this skill with the tap of a move key and miss out on my powerhouse aoe. My suggestions for this is to A. Make the skill able to be cast on the move like almost every other skill in the game. or B. Have you locked and rooted for its cast like the symbol for the GS. either way i just dont want to keep seeing this skill go on CD without going off because i brushed my move key.

2. 3rd chain Attack, This skill has far too long of a cast time. For the amount of danger it takes to be in melle, and the fact that it completely throws off all rhythm that the hammers other attacks create really makes it hard to use. (Which is bad because the guardian needs that protection while wielding hammer due to the lack of blind or other protections the gs brings.) The fix? simple reduce the cast time. The lack of Rhythm and the feeling useless for the cast really cripple the hammer’s playability.

3. Gap closer, This weapon needs something to get you in melle, the binding chain shot isnt doing it. Yes its handy to keep people in melle, but its very easy to be kited by anything. And you cant intiate with it because as soon as you enter combat your running slower. Suggestions: Well as i see it, i would do 1 of two things. Im looking at both warrior hammer and lightning hammer, They both have atleast 1 leap with the hammer. I feel the guardian hammer is in desperate need of this leap as well. Whether or not i would change mighty blow to have a leap effect and increase the CD (this would imply that the 3 skills cast time gets reduced so hammer can function with a longer CD) Or replace Zealot’s embrace with a imoblizeing flash/leap. Heck if the imoblize is too op even just a flash/leap that dealt a little damage or set them on fire would work just fine as well.

4. and final. TRAITS! Guardians have 1 trait that effects hammer. ONE! 20% 2handed cd redution. And that one isnt even spesificly for hammer! A couple traits, even ineffective ones would atleast encourage people to atleast try hammer more. The other thing your can do is splice the gs traits with the the hammer, or make some of my suggestions selectable traits.

I sincerely want to love hammer, but it cant function correctly on its own, i know you can set up entire builds just to close the gap, but the hammer as a weapon should be able to function in pve on its own. Those are my gripes and suggestions, if anyone has any great working hammer builds built so far i will gladly put it to the test and be happy for a new build. if anyone has any other suggestions to improve hammer id love to hear them. I really dont care if the weapon isnt op or even not optimal, but it needs just a little something before it becomes a logical choice for players to even equip.

Aven Scorchfield, lvl 80 Guardian
Server: Maguma
Guild: Judgement [Eye]

Hammer Time!

in Guardian

Posted by: Duran.5084

Duran.5084

There are traits that improve symbols, which the hammer’s auto-attack creates. You can use a trait to increase symbol size and two other traits cause symbols to heal allies and give foes vulnerability respectively. Just a few thoughts.

Jade Quarry
I Can Outtweet a Centaur [TWIT]

Hammer Time!

in Guardian

Posted by: DaFoRceZ.9837

DaFoRceZ.9837

I want to love the hammer too

and i agree with your points listed.
the hammer is a great weapon, but it is just not on par with the great sword.
i would love to see a buff to the hammer.

Hammer Time!

in Guardian

Posted by: Kazak.8459

Kazak.8459

Hammer is great for control. I mainly use it to lock people in. When I am chasing them hit (3), then as soon as you are there (5). Then have fun with them with the GS.

Hammer Time!

in Guardian

Posted by: Cero.5132

Cero.5132

Aven, I see where u´re comign from, but I really dont think, they should change THAT much about the hammer.
True, it´s one of those weapons that kind of take away movability, but I think it does come up for it hence it also reduces the enemies movability. And yes, I mean to say that, in my opnion, hammer is a cc-semi-tank-dd weapon for a bunch of mobs to kick theirkitten >:D cough okay got a little carried away there…

I´m gooign to try and get closer to your topics x)
2: Personally, I dont think the skill is meant to be used in melee but in range to split enemies up or keep them away from teammates. Well, at least that´s the way I´m using it, as a cc x) But I agree, it´s got too much cd

3. In my opinion, weapon switch is there for gap closing x) Yes, I know about the guardian-ranged-weap-discussion but I think it doesnt hurt to play 10 secs with staff/scepter to get closer to your enemies instead of running toward them, doing no damage the while x) You can also switch to a sword to get back into fight, if you prefer it the complete melee way ^.^

4. Yeh, there are no traits, which are explicit for hammer, buuuut (:D) as Duran said you can go for the symbol traits. (remember? third auto-attack) I went for both so the symbols are bigger, last longer and do smashysmashy and healyhealy (at least a little healyhealy, I´m no healbuilt xD)

Okay now I think that´s a text of wall I wrote… on to my final words! >:o (and ur last paragraph ^.^)
I dont think there´s any weapon that is extremely functional on it´s own. I mean in a way that u ONLY need to use THAT one weapon. In my opinion it´s highly ineffective not to switch weapons from time to time. weapn switch is an enrichement to every built, especially to hammer builts.
If you go for the symbol traits a staff is highly conform with them.

I think many ppl are misjudging the hammer by it´s movability, dps and whatnot, but honestly I think it´s a dd-support-tanky-cc-allrounder x) little bit of everything but not too much of all. One could say it´s the Bi….ever for everything O_O
But, as always, it´s dependant on the player´s gaming-style.

Sincerely, a hammer-fangirl ;P

Hammer Time!

in Guardian

Posted by: Aven.7295

Aven.7295

i have run the symbol buff thing but its still that cast time on the third chain skill. The gap closer im pretty fine without, but the reduced cast time and being able to use mighty blow while moveing would be 2 HUGE quality of life improvements i would like to see most, i can work around the rest.

Aven Scorchfield, lvl 80 Guardian
Server: Maguma
Guild: Judgement [Eye]

Hammer Time!

in Guardian

Posted by: Alarox.4590

Alarox.4590

The Hammer’s ‘1’ chain deals more DPS than the Greatsword, and Mighty Blow is roughly the same as Whirling Wrath.

I love the Hammer’s ‘1’ chain, and if you trait for symbol size/duration you’ll see why. It’s basically a massive AoE that lasts for most of your next ‘1’ chain that hits 3+ enemies, grants a potential 100% duration of Protection on yourself, and creates a self-combo with Mighty Blow that gives AoE Retaliation.

As for gap closing, it can be a little rough, but the Hammer excels at keeping enemies near you. If you can get near the enemy, you can bet they won’t get away. I recommend using Judge’s Intervention and Retreat if it’s too frustrating.

Alarox – Human Guardian
Rampage Wilson – Charr Engineer
Sea of Sorrows

Hammer Time!

in Guardian

Posted by: Avelict.6253

Avelict.6253

I agree that the Hammer is pretty kittened at the moment compared to the Greatsword, that why I take both into WvW and dominate with it. They compliment eachother amazingly.

~Avelict, Level 80 Charr Guardian
Guardian of EPIC, Sanctum of Rall

Hammer Time!

in Guardian

Posted by: Tristam Green.9178

Tristam Green.9178

What do I use the hammer for? Saving people. I get in there and hammer away with #1 and #2 and if I see a person having difficulty, golf-swing #4 and send a mob flying so the other person can save himself.

Hammers are freakin’ SWEET.

Treant Reznor (GRD) | Phizixx (ELE) | Peter J Quill (THF) | Ninnymonger (ENG) | Carduus Nox (NEC)

[CERN] When Zergs Collide – Tarnished Coast born n’ bred

Hammer Time!

in Guardian

Posted by: Karl McLain

Karl McLain

Game Designer

Hammer love is already in the works!

Hammer Time!

in Guardian

Posted by: Tredge.7489

Tredge.7489

^^
Yay! Thanks for the quick response on this.

Want to love the hammer!

Hammer Time!

in Guardian

Posted by: Arenthas.1385

Arenthas.1385

That’s great to hear, because the hammer is a ton of fun.

Arenthas – Tarnished Coast – http://empyreandivine.com

Hammer Time!

in Guardian

Posted by: Razor.9132

Razor.9132

That’s awesome to hear, indeed. Though I must confess the #2 skill being the gap closer while keeping it’s current effect is probably the craziest idea that can happen to this weapon in my opinion, because with hammer being a very slow and immobile weapon this would really make it a lot better and funnier-to-use weapon.

Hammer Time!

in Guardian

Posted by: Draeka.5941

Draeka.5941

As others have said above, symbol area+duration and two-handed skill recharge -20% can give you and your allies a permanent protection bonus. If you’re worried about the first three seconds of the engagement, just run “Protect Yourselves” to get that and a nice regen bonus as well. I don’t think the heal from the symbols is worth it, tbh…I’d rather make sure people don’t lose 800 health than give them a paltry 150/s (if you’re not spec’d for healing, that is).

Hammer is not the fastest killer, but it’s definitely a team-player when you utilize the proper utilities and traits. Just be sure to have enough armor/toughness, as otherwise you’ll be too squishy to rely on the protection alone. You might want to also look into running with the traits to blind foes when activating Justice, or even vulnerability caused by symbols. But realize that hammer, while one would think best for 1v1, actually shines best in a group. Never underestimate mass boons and control. =)

Hammer Time!

in Guardian

Posted by: Banewrath.5107

Banewrath.5107

I actually think the hammer actaully sucks. WTF were the animators thinking giving it that long pause between the 2nd and 3rd attack? Do you guys actually consider that obscene delay balance? Hammer has some awsome utility but aside from that , there is no reason to use it as main weapon because it is not an ejoyable weapon to use. Look at how fast you can complete the first chain with gs, now you shouldn`t attack as fast as a sword but then look at how much difference a hammer needs to complete the chain. Hammers sucked in gw1 unless you were on knockdown duty and they made the hammer suck just as much here for some reason.

Hammer Time!

in Guardian

Posted by: Zyph.8401

Zyph.8401

>gap closer

That’s what weapon switching is for, we get mobility with both sword and greatsword

Hammer Time!

in Guardian

Posted by: alienfirst.6493

alienfirst.6493

Oooo hammer is gonna get some tweaking? Excitement! I was all for the hammer until I found my first greatsword. Then it was love at first swing.

Hammer Time!

in Guardian

Posted by: BlueStoat.9157

BlueStoat.9157

I actually like it as is, but I would not mind being able to have mobility and run hammer/mace without needing judges intervention to rush myself into combat. I like the feel of being the slow soldier that just wades through the battle to bash something’s face in or stands back with the casters playing bodyguard for them when something swarms past the warriors and thieves. at least in my mind the guardian seems like it should be one of the least mobile professions and the warrior be the high mobility soldier class.
I know the trinity is supposed to be gone and I love it, but I still like to feel like the class has some sort of defining role in the big battles. Guardian feels like it should be the guy who greets the enemy at the back line and says "congrats on making past the front line. Here’s your prize..." [2],[4] *pow* "NEXT!"

hammer 4= go to jail: Go directly to jail; do not pass go do not collect $200

Hammer Time!

in Guardian

Posted by: Validus.5692

Validus.5692

Great to read that Karl Can’t wait to see what changes will be made to it, as it looks great animation wise but I don’t find much use for it currently and would love to use it more.

Hammer Time!

in Guardian

Posted by: Tsaritsin.5364

Tsaritsin.5364

Can we have some better looking Hammers as well

Big bad mean looking Hammers, my Guard is Asura and most of the Hammers I have seen/found so far look very err….small, even on my little Asura.

Greatswords look,…….Great,

Hammers look,……..average at best.

I shall not be there, I shall rise and pass,
Bury my heart at Wounded Knee.

Hammer Time!

in Guardian

Posted by: RamzaBehoulve.5640

RamzaBehoulve.5640

I’m currently using the Hammer also. Honestly, coupled with the GS, the burst combo can be quite high, but I agree that Mighty Blow getting broken from a twich of the finger is not cool… And that third auto-attack takes so long to get off people are long gone by then -.-

I’m happy to hear some tweaks are being done. Better/faster animations with slightly lower damage if need be is all that’s needed in my opinion.

(edited by RamzaBehoulve.5640)

Hammer Time!

in Guardian

Posted by: Modryn.4857

Modryn.4857

I was thinking that you could switch Symbol of Protection with Mighty Blow. Make Mightly Blow the 3rd chain skill, and Symbol of Protection it’s own skill, just increase symbol duration to make up for the long cast time.

Just an idea I had today while playing with the hammer.

Hammer Time!

in Guardian

Posted by: Ojimaru.8970

Ojimaru.8970

Oh no… and I just bit the bullet and gave up on the weapon, spending my 63k Karma on a Warden Greatsword… Guess I now have my next Warden weapon planned then…

Hammer Time!

in Guardian

Posted by: SirMoogie.9263

SirMoogie.9263

I hope that they don’t change it too much. I like to play a defender and the hammer fits in nicely with the amount of control it provides. If it is to get a gap closer it should not be at the expense of of losing it’s immobilize, which functions as a gap closer and protection for your allies.

Hammer Time!

in Guardian

Posted by: station.6421

station.6421

I want to love the hammer but i find it so boring in pve! 3, 4, and 5 are all so situational that they hardly seen any use.

3 is so easily dodged/side stepped and has nasty habit of pulling over mobs if you’re not careful

4 is awesome!… but annoying because now I have to chase back down the mob. Unless I hit them into my ring or against a wall or something. But, again, this is pretty niche and rare. Even then it’s a dps loss to even use on trash considering its century long charge up.

5 is great too! Too bad most of pve is out in the open.

But i’m glad to read that my favorite weapon type is getting some loving

Hammer Time!

in Guardian

Posted by: Alarox.4590

Alarox.4590

Just don’t touch Banish >.>

If you have experienced the thrill of knocking enemy players 20 feet over the side of a cliff, after a massive windup smash to the chin, you understand.

Alarox – Human Guardian
Rampage Wilson – Charr Engineer
Sea of Sorrows

Hammer Time!

in Guardian

Posted by: Tobeyeus.9376

Tobeyeus.9376

Skill 1 like mentioned is too slow and near impossible to get off. I would rather the Symbol be removed and a debuff be added be it Weakness or Daze

Skill 2 should not have a cast time, or should be useable on the move. It is too twitchy and it is our biggest damage source with the Hammer.

Skill 3 should be turned into a leap that places a Symbol of Protection. Let us leap into melee and have protection set up. This would provide great group utility because it allows the Guardian to jump in and help allies.

Skill 4 is great as it is! Love it especially when combined with Skill 5

Skill 5 is great also, I do think the cast animation is a bit slow.

I don’t think Hammer needs a trait of it’s own. The Symbol traits all currently benefit Hammer, the cooldown reduction while generic helps the Hammer also. The trait that allows the Greatsword to heal the Guardian could also include the Hammer but I almost feel like the Hammer is a mix between the Staff and Greatsword in terms of use. It is a utility weapon like the Staff but gets higher damage output like the Greatsword.

I just hope the Mace gets looked at since I think it faces too much competition with the Staff and the Scepter. A tanky utility weapon that has less utility then the Staff and isn’t as safe to use as the Scepter since it doesn’t provide as much survivability as you might think.

Hammer Time!

in Guardian

Posted by: Scimitus.4621

Scimitus.4621

Thats what I am talking about, cant wait for the hammer to see more love. I love using it the most.

Hammer Time!

in Guardian

Posted by: VgForce.6178

VgForce.6178

I agree. I was pretty surprise for the third hit on 1. Wind up is s l o w www w w. So i just tap 1, 1, 2, raise both hand on the air, then 3., rinse and repeat. Can’t wait for the hammer patch.

Hammer Time!

in Guardian

Posted by: Schakal.6091

Schakal.6091

I used to like Hammer as my ‘defensive’ weapon. But against a lot of tough enemies the Knockdown, Launch and Immobilize are useless. This leaves the weapon with the Symbol as the only defensive ability. Having a Blast Finisher is lovely for group buffing, granted. The weapon’s defensive capabilities suddenly vanishing against, say, an Earth Elemental is not so lovely.

The internet is for Norn

Hammer Time!

in Guardian

Posted by: nerva.7940

nerva.7940

u serious? hammer is already amazing, and my favourite guardian weapon. im excited now.

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLbWtvtzdU0Ho0zto6VnTQ

Hammer Time!

in Guardian

Posted by: Bazeleel.8219

Bazeleel.8219

Oh good so they can be even more OP then before…awesome!

Hammer Time!

in Guardian

Posted by: Vlad.2769

Vlad.2769

I wanted to create a topic by myself a week ago, but there was no class forums yet, so that should be my original post:

“I don’t actually know where to address this due to no suitable forum thread and I realy think that neglect is a bug. So I want to speak a little about weapons of guardian (I’m think some other professions would like to say about it too). It’s real injustice in traits and, maybe, skills. Look at greatsword (90% of guardian with it, yay). It has very fast chain skill with high damage, 1 combo field, 3 combo finishers and 3 related traits. All deals alot of damage. Look at hammer. 3rd strike in the chain is very slow, in most encounters in dungeons you won’t have so many time to end it. Yes, it’s powerfull, with symbol on it, I agree, hammer should be quite slow, this drawback related to all hammers, make sense. But why hammer deals less damage than one-handed sword? Ok-ok, the real ‘shiny’ of hammer is slow spam symbol and low-CD blast finisher..and 3 control skills, which almost useless when you are not in pvp (and often even in it) due to low damage from it and realy slow casting for ring (same problem with wall for staff, while you end casting it everyone you wanted to be outside will be already in), they doesn’t pay you off, you won’t use them 99% of your time being (2 from 5 skills would be in use..that’s bad). And now is the main injustice for hammer. It has no healing skills on it. For quite long time warhammers (woops, you know where I’m going) was a weapon of priests alongside with maces (which realy powerhouse in healing for guardian), this idea somehow dissapeared from this game. And about traits – greatsword has 3 related (2 for GS-majesty himself and 1 general for two-handed), hammer has non (1 general? Hammer has almost no benefits from it, only 1 sec. in blast CD). Why GS has trait which heals you on each attack?! This trait should be for hammer, realy, GS have it’s trait for damage already, give this one for hammer. Ok, that’s enough for hammers, let’s look at other weapons quickly. Staff – 1 general trait, weak but wide 1st skill (a little up in damage would be ok for it) and real staff shiny – Empower. Quite good due to support skills, but needs related trait and a little damage up. Mace – healing powerhouse with Ok damage, has 2 traits (general for one-handed weapons which gives you !!+15%!! crit.chance and one mace related), this weapon is good, I think. Scepter – long range, powerful low-CD AoE (realy powerful with 15 hits, procprocprocproc), 2 traits, quite good long-range weapon. Sword – good damage, fast attacks, has everything it needs, 2 traits, good weapon. As for off-hands I count them as support for main and not so fundamental for gameplay, sometimes due to long CD, but they are useful and would be used as soon as they will available from CD, so let’s consider them ‘good’ ones for guardian. I’m not asking to nerf something or buff something to overpowered state, I’m seek justice, I’m guardian, that’s what I should do. Cheers.”

But you already created such one and got redpost

But I still want to say something about hammers. We need trait. We need trait in Zeal or Honor (or both). And new trait\skill for hammer should have HEALING on it. It SHOULD. Mace have, hammer is a big mace, etc.etc.etc.

edit Once again about hammer, I tried all weapons just to check if I’m just too picky for hammer, but no all other weapons use all their skills (’xept 5th skill on staff) by CD, so mr. Hammer needs more love.

(edited by Vlad.2769)

Hammer Time!

in Guardian

Posted by: yakuza snowdragon.4639

yakuza snowdragon.4639

Ye this upsets me big time, The Hammer skills for the guardian are a major let down. My main is based around a norn hammer wielding guardian name and all and I’m forced to use the greatsword because its so much more practical and effective given the skills it has. All i want to see is a hammer skill like the great sword skill leap. I want to be able to close ground fast deal damage then alternate between hammer and shield sword or scepter combo’s. as it stands there’s only 2 skills on the hammer that are any good. the chain is so slow and dosnt deal enough damage to waste the time it takes and life you lose just to finish the combo Please Anet give us a jump skill and make guardians a hammer class not pushed to use greatswords!

Hammer Time!

in Guardian

Posted by: Ynna.8769

Ynna.8769

1. This is indeed an issue. I can’t recall how many times I missed out on nice damage and retaliation because I started to move too soon.
2. I don’t think it really throws of a rhythm, it’s just a rhythm you have to adapt to. But I can’t say no to faster cast time, because I already dislike the fact that the Symbol is at the end of the chain.
3. I don’t think it needs a gap-closer. You’ve got the chains and the Ring of Warding. The Hammer works fine without it, and you can always use a Sword; Greatsword or Judge’s Intervention. I don’t think the Guardian really needs more gapclosers.
4. A lot of weapons don’t have specific traits, and I like it like that. I really dislike the traits that lock you into a specific weapon.

Curious. I wonder what you will change, since the Hammer is in my opinion, quite adequate.

“Come on, hit me!”

Hammer Time!

in Guardian

Posted by: Vlad.2769

Vlad.2769

Don’t let 2nd be on the move, it should be stationary, it’s hammer, do not forget. Just lock from moving for the animation (still it’s not even a problem, never had issues with it, so you doing something wrong when you click on movement keys while jumping, or something).
No charge to target is needed, if you want to charge with hammer – go warrior instead.
Chain is awesome if you end it, ‘cause symbol deals alot of damage, gives buff and you can blast it for retaliation, but ’if’ is the problem in most cases, too many ‘no time to end it’.
I’ll repeat my self again and again – hammer needs healing on skills\traits, it would be enough for it.

Hammer Time!

in Guardian

Banewrath.5107

Curious. I wonder what you will change, since the Hammer is in my opinion, quite adequate.

The hammer may be adequate as a utility tool for situations. But for people who prefer it as a main weapon just because they like hammers instead of blades, the hammer is horrible to use. The hammer just has a horrible #1 combo and the #2 hit misses half the time unless you are right up in the mobs face. For some reason fighting with blunt weapons in this game feels like you are watching your character attack in slow motion.

Hammer Time!

in Guardian

Posted by: Ynna.8769

Ynna.8769

The hammer may be adequate as a utility tool for situations. But for people who prefer it as a main weapon just because they like hammers instead of blades, the hammer is horrible to use. The hammer just has a horrible #1 combo and the #2 hit misses half the time unless you are right up in the mobs face. For some reason fighting with blunt weapons in this game feels like you are watching your character attack in slow motion.

I used the Hammer as my main weapon for the first 10-15 levels. I don’t think the #1 combo is that bad. It does quite a bit of damage and gives a useful Symbol. I don’t think I had the #2 skill miss in PvE actually. It’s slower than the Greatsword, but the overall damage is rather similar.
Also, they can’t cater to every playstyle with every weapon.
I also use the Hammer as my weapon in sPvP, again, it works fine. I’d be sad to see any skill change drastically.

“Come on, hit me!”

Hammer Time!

in Guardian

Posted by: Marvyra.1729

Marvyra.1729

Thank you ANet! I am also a person whom really wants to love the hammer. But that third auto symbol attack just takes way too long and most of the other skills don’t seem as useful (3rd and 5th skill) as say the Greatsword’s skills.

Hammer Time!

in Guardian

Posted by: Rashy Eyes.6234

Rashy Eyes.6234

The problem with Hammer in PvP is its lack of mobility, it has huge issues when the 3rd strike of 1 takes so long to get off so if you want the protection buff you need to sacrifice too much time to get it off. Also not being able to move while casting 2 is devastating since in PvP nobody really stands still so you may or may not get the damage of it off, even if you do you are now way behind your target and have to run to the target. Also since the guardian is one of the slowest classes with no gap closer on hammer and having to stand still to cast 2 its almost better to just spam 1s while running and ignore 2.

Hammer Time!

in Guardian

Posted by: SirMoogie.9263

SirMoogie.9263

The hammer may be adequate as a utility tool for situations. But for people who prefer it as a main weapon just because they like hammers instead of blades, the hammer is horrible to use.

It’s good, but it’s horrible? I take it you mean it’s horrible at what you would like it to do. Unfortunately, the way the game is set up is to have certain weapons capable of doing certain tasks (including being jack of ll trades). This fits in nicely with the concept of choosing what role you want to play. To choose your role you pick your traits, your gear, your utilities, and your weapon. It isn’t just like this with the guardian, but every class. Some weapons are just more suited for the control role, some condition damage, some direct damage, and some support. The hammer happens to be the go to weapon for control (immobilize, ward, and knockback give it three control skills, no other weapon on the guardian allows for this). I suppose they could heavily redo the game design and make no weapon suitable for any role, and then have your traits decide what your weapons do, but that’s probably not the changes they had in mind for patches.

I would not mind the hammer being a more lethal DPS weapon if specced into the Zeal line, but not at a cost to its control options.

Hammer Time!

in Guardian

Posted by: diversecape.1465

diversecape.1465

Whaaaaat?! I love the hammer, it’s the only 2H I like for the guardian, I destroy with it in dungeons.

It has good damage reduction with protection and comboing for retaliation, and awesome control. I think it’s fine, it, like every other weapon, has its NICHE, and does it fantastically.

Hammer Time!

in Guardian

Posted by: Rune Jairusion.4610

Rune Jairusion.4610

Oh good so they can be even more OP then before…awesome!

lol… reading through this post your reply is just comical

Hammer Time!

in Guardian

Posted by: Monstrosity.7035

Monstrosity.7035

Would love hammer love. The rooting goes against everything against in GW2 which is movement, movement, movement.

Hammer Time!

in Guardian

Posted by: Esorono.1039

Esorono.1039

I wouldn’t mind if the guardian’s hammer skills were sped up a bit. I feel like I’m waiting a century for anything to hit when playing with it.

Playable Tengu please!

Hammer Time!

in Guardian

Banewrath.5107

The hammer may be adequate as a utility tool for situations. But for people who prefer it as a main weapon just because they like hammers instead of blades, the hammer is horrible to use.

It’s good, but it’s horrible? I take it you mean it’s horrible at what you would like it to do. Unfortunately, the way the game is set up is to have certain weapons capable of doing certain tasks (including being jack of ll trades). This fits in nicely with the concept of choosing what role you want to play. To choose your role you pick your traits, your gear, your utilities, and your weapon. It isn’t just like this with the guardian, but every class. Some weapons are just more suited for the control role, some condition damage, some direct damage, and some support. The hammer happens to be the go to weapon for control (immobilize, ward, and knockback give it three control skills, no other weapon on the guardian allows for this). I suppose they could heavily redo the game design and make no weapon suitable for any role, and then have your traits decide what your weapons do, but that’s probably not the changes they had in mind for patches.

I would not mind the hammer being a more lethal DPS weapon if specced into the Zeal line, but not at a cost to its control options.

Yes it is horrible. That disgusting delay you get on your first chain attack is enough to discourage you from ever using a hammer normally. Unless you are going for the utility skills for specific situations or just want to use it for yucks for 5 minutes or so, there isn`t any other reason to like the hammer. I would love to to use 2handed hammers because it`s my playstyle and preference but unless you like launching bunnies like the one dude does, it really isn`t a fun or practical weapon to use.

Hammer Time!

in Guardian

Posted by: sct.9082

sct.9082

I’m really happy to hear that the hammer is going to get some love. It’s easily my favorite style of play but my other options are just so much better right now.

Hammer Time!

in Guardian

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

o wow, haha hammer’s getting a buff. they’re so awesome right now already! and i love the torch. as much as i loved greatsowrd, i can’t get back to it right now. (plus the one i have in my stash i don’t want to soulbound yet lol). the hammer is pretty darn versatile.

ONE HUGE TIP!! if you use hammer, getting the larger symbols helps a LOT. especially with the 1 combo. i agree the 3rd attack is pretty slow but when it lands, it’s great.

and has anyone else noticed this? for the 2 attack (the one where you move it just cancels, lol), when it does hit an di spam it, i do two quick ones in succession. pretty sure it’s a bug lol but an awesome one XDDD

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

Hammer Time!

in Guardian

Posted by: Mattius.2549

Mattius.2549

Giving the hammer a gap closer is just stupid. Why put in this lovely weapon swapping if they will just make 1 weapon absolutely perfect?

Hammer Time!

in Guardian

Posted by: Zizi.7860

Zizi.7860

The only thing I hate about the hammer is that delay on the third swing. And I hate-hate-hate it. It messes up all my skill timings. The worst part about it is Warrior hammer doesn’t do the same thing (but I don’t care much for warrior).

I’d like to see some speed added to the Mace as well, but it’s not nearly as bad. I can tolerate the mace.

It’s been really disappointing, because my whole concept was a tiny Asura with a HUGE hammer. And most skills, especially Banish, TOTALLY rock for that, but that danged slow swing completely ruins it.