staff guardian

staff guardian

in Guardian

Posted by: Kimbo.7431

Kimbo.7431

hi i just want to ask if anyone knows a viable build that focuses on the staff offensively not necessary a dps build but it should not be a full support or tanky passive build
is there any way i could use the staff offensively stacking might or something?
i just really like the skillset of the staff and it would be cool to be able to kill stuff even with a supportive weapon like the staff

(edited by Kimbo.7431)

staff guardian

in Guardian

Posted by: CMF.5461

CMF.5461

Staff, as you know already, has bad “dps” but it can be used to burst.

Might stacks will provide some good increased power, but you are prone to damage while channeling that.

The primary form of damage for staff is the auto attack. Additionally the orb cast is on a very fast cooldown and will contribute to “dps” if you just cast it on cooldown but not explode the orb. For burst you can pop the orb for extra damage, but normally better to just cast and leave alone.

Another option is to put a sigil of rage on the staff to provide added burst damage and increased dps. With decent crit rating of maybe a low ball 15-20% you should see quickness enough times to enjoy the fast auto attack burn moments.

One more thing to consider is that staff hits multiple enemies with ease, this will proc VoJ very often in clusters. IF you are so inclined you can trait down virtues and pick up Permeating Wrath, to stack ae burn damage, but normally the investment for this is so high that it makes it pointless to get.

So all in all, auto attack, orb auto fire, sigil of rage, and might stack when you can (normally before a fight and not during).

If this is a simple pve fight, you can might stack, place symbol, throw orb/burst it, then continue to auto attack.

Auto spam is great for pve zerg fests as well. For the sake of saying it, don’t bring this to dps in dungeons or be ready to be yelled at. PvP/wvw use as you deem necessary, but don’t expect to be bursting anyone down and reigning over dead bodies.

Symbol and bursting orb are a loss in dps, as I think the empower channel was too.

staff guardian

in Guardian

Kimbo.7431

Staff, as you know already, has bad “dps” but it can be used to burst.

Might stacks will provide some good increased power, but you are prone to damage while channeling that.

The primary form of damage for staff is the auto attack. Additionally the orb cast is on a very fast cooldown and will contribute to “dps” if you just cast it on cooldown but not explode the orb. For burst you can pop the orb for extra damage, but normally better to just cast and leave alone.

Another option is to put a sigil of rage on the staff to provide added burst damage and increased dps. With decent crit rating of maybe a low ball 15-20% you should see quickness enough times to enjoy the fast auto attack burn moments.

One more thing to consider is that staff hits multiple enemies with ease, this will proc VoJ very often in clusters. IF you are so inclined you can trait down virtues and pick up Permeating Wrath, to stack ae burn damage, but normally the investment for this is so high that it makes it pointless to get.

So all in all, auto attack, orb auto fire, sigil of rage, and might stack when you can (normally before a fight and not during).

If this is a simple pve fight, you can might stack, place symbol, throw orb/burst it, then continue to auto attack.

Auto spam is great for pve zerg fests as well. For the sake of saying it, don’t bring this to dps in dungeons or be ready to be yelled at. PvP/wvw use as you deem necessary, but don’t expect to be bursting anyone down and reigning over dead bodies.

Symbol and bursting orb are a loss in dps, as I think the empower channel was too.

thank you buddy your answer was really helpfull

staff guardian

in Guardian

Posted by: Imperatora.7654

Imperatora.7654

staff is best in an AOE environment where you needs some range (can’t just “stack2win”). Farming, open world events with large trash spawns etc… In these situations you rarely need any kind of support, so max DPS

You are going to want at LEAST a fire sigil for additional AOE and faster tagging.

staff guardian

in Guardian

Posted by: Hostility.4961

Hostility.4961

Staff can be used somewhat offensively but you need 2200+ power in spvp or 2500+ in www to do decent 1500-2000 dmg per swing. The orb of light can crit for 3-5k even. Point being staff is only usable offensivly in full out dmg builds.

I sometimes play full zerker dual staff in zerg v zerg just for the fun of it
Heres the zerg www build:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fVAQJAWWlsApQotCxbI8DNR8QVVAg9T8fV617wRcDA-TFiDABA8EAWU9nuUC6kyPEOEAvpLQgLAwM7PEAAB4m3MbezAn38m38m38czbezbezbWKgHWGB-w

1v1 you need to use either gs or sword/focus in addition to staff. When the enemy is close use gs or s/f and only use staff when they kite, stealth away cause staff is superclunky in close range for some reason.
Heres the roaming build:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fVAQJAWRlsApcoVDxbI8DNR8QVVAg9J+fV61/QQkDA-T1BFABC8IAQS5Xa6CaZ/BAuCAFq+zVKBDAgAczbmNvZgzbezbezbeu5Nv5Nv5NHDATA-w

I could not pick the second food cause its not added yet. Its callled Swift Moa Feather in game i think. Its the food that gives 25% mobility for 30min. You could also change the rune for traveler rune instead and use power food but i like hoelbrak for less condi on me.

Its super hard to roam with staff tho but its fun when u pull it off Ppl dont expect it to crit 2k+ per auto hehe

staff guardian

in Guardian

Kimbo.7431

Staff can be used somewhat offensively but you need 2200+ power in spvp or 2500+ in www to do decent 1500-2000 dmg per swing. The orb of light can crit for 3-5k even. Point being staff is only usable offensivly in full out dmg builds.

I sometimes play full zerker dual staff in zerg v zerg just for the fun of it
Heres the zerg www build:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fVAQJAWWlsApQotCxbI8DNR8QVVAg9T8fV617wRcDA-TFiDABA8EAWU9nuUC6kyPEOEAvpLQgLAwM7PEAAB4m3MbezAn38m38m38czbezbezbWKgHWGB-w

1v1 you need to use either gs or sword/focus in addition to staff. When the enemy is close use gs or s/f and only use staff when they kite, stealth away cause staff is superclunky in close range for some reason.
Heres the roaming build:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fVAQJAWRlsApcoVDxbI8DNR8QVVAg9J+fV61/QQkDA-T1BFABC8IAQS5Xa6CaZ/BAuCAFq+zVKBDAgAczbmNvZgzbezbezbeu5Nv5Nv5NHDATA-w

I could not pick the second food cause its not added yet. Its callled Swift Moa Feather in game i think. Its the food that gives 25% mobility for 30min. You could also change the rune for traveler rune instead and use power food but i like hoelbrak for less condi on me.

Its super hard to roam with staff tho but its fun when u pull it off Ppl dont expect it to crit 2k+ per auto hehe

the build i was thinking of looks like this:

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fVEQFAWl0AbgaE+7WIcEyfXIEBxf4ExDV1BQB8oYPFRRleVMA-TRROwA38BAhV/Bw+DlU+NTJIA-e

i dont have any crit chance and focus a lot on survavability and for damage just raw power and the might i can stack with my empower do you think this would be enough? or do i have to go full berserker in order to do damage with the staff?

staff guardian

in Guardian

Posted by: Hostility.4961

Hostility.4961

Ok two things

Yes you need full zerker cause just pure power wont make staff hit hard. It needs a high crit rate or its just hittin 500-800 tops dependin on might stack.

You need 6 in valor for either monks focus for medi heals when u solo
or Altruistic healing in zergs so u sustain heal allot. Staff 4 is a full heal with that every 20 sec. Without those in a build you will have a really really really hard time livin in zerg clashes and 1v1s.

staff guardian

in Guardian

Posted by: Vikkela.7261

Vikkela.7261

What sort of gameplay are you actually thinking of? Being in zerg? Small group roaming? Solo roam?

9 Guardians later…

staff guardian

in Guardian

Kimbo.7431

What sort of gameplay are you actually thinking of? Being in zerg? Small group roaming? Solo roam?

2-3 man group roaming and maybe solo roaming if it possible but mostly small group roaming

staff guardian

in Guardian

Kimbo.7431

Ok two things

Yes you need full zerker cause just pure power wont make staff hit hard. It needs a high crit rate or its just hittin 500-800 tops dependin on might stack.

You need 6 in valor for either monks focus for medi heals when u solo
or Altruistic healing in zergs so u sustain heal allot. Staff 4 is a full heal with that every 20 sec. Without those in a build you will have a really really really hard time livin in zerg clashes and 1v1s.

so i’ll change the 6 points in zeal for 6 points in valor and aim for a 40%+ crit chance to get might stacks with empowering might and sigil of strength?