Blackwater (PU) vs Mantra, fighting mesmers

in Mesmer

Posted by: DrDivine.5378

DrDivine.5378

I’m probably going to get scolded for this, but on my mesmer I run a PU build as the suitability and damage has been so helpful in pvp I can hold my own against most builds. And then theres my signature nightmare in pvp, the mantra.
Mantra is one of the few builds that really wall my mesmer, and in general, I seem to struggle the most fighting against other mesmers due to all the clones. Is it possible for a PU mesmer to outpace a mantra build?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

Well, I’m a bit curious. Generally mantra builds are significantly weaker in PvP than other builds, particularly in 1v1 scenarios. The opposite holds true for PU builds.

What is the exact PU build you’ve been running, and what exactly do you mean by mantra builds?

(edited by Fay.2357)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

Perhaps you’re talking about the condi cleansing power of mantras?

Trouble with mantras is they require a target, and if you’re a heavy stealth spamming mesmer it makes it very hard for an enemy to target you to, say, interrupt anything.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Schattenlied.4873

Schattenlied.4873

I don´t play pvp, but from my wvw experience it seems like mantra beats most PU builds without trouble. If the PU player retreats early enough you won´t kill thim though. They´re just lacking interrupts (2 for condition PU, 3 for power PU, in any case quite long cooldowns) to stop your heal. The hybrid damage of mantra is higher as well.

But Pyro is right, if you compare my wvw build with a pvp version , it´s significantly weaker in pvp.

If you´re playing condition PU/Blackwater you could try to force your enemy into using his mantra charges for trash conditions from staff clones. Burst, and safe Diversion for a dodge shatter to interrupt the mantra. You could try to get a torment block on Chaos Storm if your opponent uses staff as well.
Power PU should be better since you have more and more reliable interrupts. Use an iLeap burst combo when the heal mantra is on cooldown, your enemy has to use Blink or other defensive cooldowns here to get out of it or he will eat a lot of damage. This opens up an opportunity for you to finish the fight – the mantra mesmer had to use a lot of cooldowns to survive your burst and can´t secure the mantra recharge with Blink, Decoy or Distortion.

These are just a few hints for you when I, as a mantra lockdown mesmer, got trouble with or lost to PU builds.

Xaveri

Xaverí [RUN] [OMFG] [TDS]
Sylvari-Mesmer
Kodash

(edited by Schattenlied.4873)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Can you recall from the buff bar which mantras they were running?

Seems a bit weird – a PU build should kitten all over any pure mantra build, especially in a 1v1.

in Mesmer

Posted by: DrDivine.5378

DrDivine.5378

Can you recall from the buff bar which mantras they were running?

Seems a bit weird – a PU build should kitten all over any pure mantra build, especially in a 1v1.

I’m trying to remember, this was a dueling room so it focused on 1v1 but he bested me and a warrior. I almost had him, but he had an extra charge on all skills so he was able to best me and that warrior. I just remember seeing a lot of mantra icons before entering.