Chrono - very low damage vs other player

in Mesmer

Posted by: ShadowCatz.8437

ShadowCatz.8437

I have played Chrono for some time and right now after last patch I feel that it is impossible to kill other player in WvW. I can for some short time keep Druid at bay, but locking at my log there it seem I only hit in a very small scale like around 3 or up to 500 for each hit vs 1500 [Takedown] from Druid. That last hit downed me, so I gave up.

I can handle a camp solo and even take out fully upgraded camps, but can not kill fast enough players on my own. Really tired of this.

My healing seem to be fine, but my damage from direct damage and condi (poison) seem to be very small. I had expected more damage as my base power is around 1800-2000 depending on weapon and how much Might I have from SoI. My crit chance is around 45-50% and crit damage 180%. What is wrong here?

Appreciate some advice on how to be able to at least kill 1v1 when I get jumped. Right now I feel all I can kill is NPCs on camps and help out when I run with PUGs (which this build seem to work better with as I can block and rez downed during a fight).

Running inspiration (3-2-2); chaos (3-3-1); chrono (2-3-1)

Armor: rabid exotic
-Runes of Defender which regen; block with healing skill and heal by blocking (reason why I use Well of Precog.)

Trinkets: berserker ascended except for backpack

Staff: exotic rabid – sigil of battle and strength
Sword: exotic rabid – sigil of fire
Shield: exotic dire – sigil of doom

Utility skill: Well of Precog. (explained above); Blink; SoI (produce block; regn + boon which interact with duration from chaos trait)
Elite: Gravity Well
Healing skill: Mirror with only 12 sec (shorter with Alacrity) and give high uptime with healing; blocks and reflect from projectiles (from Chaos manipulation trait).

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

Build overly defensive and oriented around the expectation that you will take a lot of damage.
No food listed
Condition damage armor and weapon/defensive rune/direct damage trincket

I think it’s already amazing that you can kill npc with this kind of build. I’d say that it’s simply to defensive, you’ve got almost nothing to pour out of your build damage wise.

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ansau.7326

Ansau.7326

Mesmer needs a damage bump all across weapons and traits.
GS autoattacks are a joke, F2 is a joke, #2 GS was nerfed for no reason, torch is garbage, small pulses from Calamity hit similar than staff AA, scepter is still too much underwhelming, sword AA need a small bump, no good utility for damage, lack of burning adjustment with the change, removal of second stack of torment in shatter…
Then pair it with very low might stacking and pretty much no damage modifiers, and you have the answer.

Meanwhile, the rest of professions can do 4-6k with just pressing 1 button, and if they press 2-3 be prepared for 10-12k damage incoming…

Ansau – Sylvari Mesmer – Exiled Warriors [wE] – Gandara

i7 5775c @ 4.1GHz – 12GB RAM @ 2400MHz – RX 480 @ 1390/2140MHz

in Mesmer

ShadowCatz.8437

Build overly defensive and oriented around the expectation that you will take a lot of damage.
No food listed

I think it’s already amazing that you can kill npc with this kind of build. I’d say that it’s simply to defensive, you’ve got almost nothing to pour out of your build damage wise.

Have had no problems with killing NPCs neither in WvW land or in HoT. It is only other player I can not kill fast enough as those CC or overwhelm me right now after last patch.

I am not sure if you really have played Chronomancer yourself or just talking out of some general idea about stats.

This build was made before I even had heard about Chronobunker as a term in Mesmer community and that is what have worked so far to kill at least something and still be alive. Food isn’t that important as it is just changes between + 100 for power or condi damage (Pot. sharpening vs Pot. tuning crystal) [and as you know those are based on Toughness and/or Vitality; both defensive stats which turns into offensive stats].

To clearfy:

Rabid stats
Condition Damage
Precision
Toughness

Berserker
Power
Precision
Ferocity

Main stats: Power and Condition Damage
Minor, but important for crit: Precision and Ferocity

Toughness is something that more or less came with the package, but with food will buff up either of Power or Condition Damage.

Runes of Defender give a high uptime of regen and aegis;

(1): +25 Healing
(2): When you block a foe’s attack, gain 1 second of regeneration.
(3): +50 Healing
(4): When you use a heal skill, gain aegis for 5 seconds. (Cooldown: 10s)
(5): +100 Healing
(6): When you block a foe’s attack, heal yourself. (Cooldown: 30s)

Any other Chronomesmer that have a more fruitful suggestion what I can change for WvW soloroaming (or in small group)? Really tired of getting ganked from Druids, Daredevils, Heralds and Reapers. Thinking about going to craft Sinister armour (as I still need to complete Auric Basin and those maps South to get access to Viper armour), but not sure if that would make any difference. Collecting Laurels do take time and I don’t want to waste laurels on stats that might not work or only during very special situation.

in Mesmer

ShadowCatz.8437

Mesmer needs a damage bump all across weapons and traits.
GS autoattacks are a joke, F2 is a joke, #2 GS was nerfed for no reason, torch is garbage, small pulses from Calamity hit similar than staff AA, scepter is still too much underwhelming, sword AA need a small bump, no good utility for damage, lack of burning adjustment with the change, removal of second stack of torment in shatter…
Then pair it with very low might stacking and pretty much no damage modifiers, and you have the answer.

Meanwhile, the rest of professions can do 4-6k with just pressing 1 button, and if they press 2-3 be prepared for 10-12k damage incoming…

Haven’t seen my logs until now when I realize that Mind Wrack hits for only 5? Here I work hard to get those illusions up and all I get is 5 when they hit? Pets from Druid bite me for 900…what kind of “balance” is that?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Drogoning.1285

Drogoning.1285

I honestly don’t know what your talking about. Ive been running my mesmer in wvw for the past week and i have been doing very well. Ive won most of my 1v1’s except for a really good engi or a gunflame war im not expecting. Heck i even win some 1v2’s or 1v3’s against noobs.

But then again im running a beserkers build with scholar runes, GS/sword torch with blink decoy, portal and gravity well.

My autos hit for 2-4k depending on toughness. So id say its pretty good, you just have no power in your build because of the rabids gear really bringing it down. If you want ur sword autos to do more itd b better if u swapped to knights gear if u wanted to keep the toughness up.

If you want to have some more dmg you have to lose some survivability, thats just how it goes. (1800-2000 power is awful) For a reference my guy has around 2500power and 220 crit dmg. Quite the difference.

Also about your mindwreck hitting 5’s, i do a 4-2 dodge (generate clone) shatter on GS and insta kill ppl. Pretty much if they are zerk and they dont dodge they are dead. If they arnt zerk then it still does quite a hefty chunk of hp enough that they freak out.

in Mesmer

Posted by: francescoG.1069

francescoG.1069

The main problem is that Chronomancer has no more than a supporting role: if you think about what they have weakened 26 are nothing but strokes and support skills to decrease the resistance given by the traits and effectiveness of alacrity for the team.
The same quickness and slow were always nerf for support.
It is not the only problem; many skills and traits of mesmer are impractical and inefficient, and despite all of charging high compared to similar abilities present in other classes so as not to make it look like a great advantage alacrity.
Bracket mesmer since there was a change of burning a stack has lost much of its effectiveness, I riferisko the number one skill, and not content now have changed the chaos armor, the clones have lost efficacy to for multiple reasons ( and do not tell me that’s not true, no one uses the most deceptive evasion or mirror images), as well as stealth, it is absurd to see how anet has put anti-stealth skill effects in itself already so effective and frankly speaking I do not exist more susceptible classes the conditions, and if the conditions do damage damage is because they do dannonel good time and thus certainly not torment and confusion that take time to work.
Finally, the split continuum: someone can tell me a skill that is really worthwhile to be launched 2 times in PvP? (Other than the gravity well)
Does no harm, does not heal, a disadvantage in playing condition (necro), decreased the effectiveness of the support, rendered ineffective the existing mechanical (stealth + clones).
LE build interrupt there, nothing to say, if you like, nothing to say, but I see a crisis in the class that should be rebuilt from scratch to make it again in the practical context elle other classes.
Even I have no idea where to start to fix the mesmer / chrono.

in Mesmer

Posted by: SloRules.3560

SloRules.3560

Something like this i guess. Just try to be first one that does the burst or your screwed.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQNAR8flknha0YZawRNwtGLqGVdzGtVLZAUAFnZNUNtAA-TFSBABUq+De6GIa/BAuAAmpEUjnAwCHEgrU+RKA9kaB-w

or against a condi user
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQNAR8fl0nhi0YZawRNwtGLrGV5GUcBQ9y+sT75RkEPHA-TFSBABa8EAwT3AAXAgrU+twBBgo9HoU9HzUCSKA9kaB-w

I dont realy roam much but variations of these builds work great for ganking in gvg.

in Mesmer

Posted by: flog.3485

flog.3485

My advice OP: ditch inspiration line. If you rely on a defensive rune you don’t need that much sustain with the inspiration. Furthermore, ditch the sword, and use the scepter, if you rely on blocks and also don’t forget to to take the traits in chrono that give you maximum uptime of clones and phantasms so that you can shatter more.

in Mesmer

Posted by: denis.9487

denis.9487

Wvw is a massive power creep. I sit on full ascended use best food and that sharpening stone that adds ferocity. Basically running chrono/inspiration/chaos. Gs/scepter torch. Whomever gave the advice that more power is needed is correct. I sit at 2400 70 crit chance and 220 crit damage. Imo wvw is an arms race, increase your damage stats lose those runes. My chrono pu power keeps slamming into them they all fall eventually. And b4 someone knocks I take plenty of dirt naps. But it’s wvw. Never know what’s out there.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

No food listed

Have had no problems with killing NPCs neither in WvW land or in HoT. It is only other player I can not kill fast enough as those CC or overwhelm me right now after last patch.

I am not sure if you really have played Chronomancer yourself or just talking out of some general idea about stats.

This build was made before I even had heard about Chronobunker as a term in Mesmer community and that is what have worked so far to kill at least something and still be alive. Food isn’t that important as it is just changes between + 100 for power or condi damage (Pot. sharpening vs Pot. tuning crystal) [and as you know those are based on Toughness and/or Vitality; both defensive stats which turns into offensive stats].

To clearfy:

Rabid stats
Condition Damage
Precision
Toughness

Berserker
Power
Precision
Ferocity

Main stats: Power and Condition Damage
Minor, but important for crit: Precision and Ferocity

Toughness is something that more or less came with the package, but with food will buff up either of Power or Condition Damage.

Runes of Defender give a high uptime of regen and aegis;

(1): +25 Healing
(2): When you block a foe’s attack, gain 1 second of regeneration.
(3): +50 Healing
(4): When you use a heal skill, gain aegis for 5 seconds. (Cooldown: 10s)
(5): +100 Healing
(6): When you block a foe’s attack, heal yourself. (Cooldown: 30s)

Any other Chronomesmer that have a more fruitful suggestion what I can change for WvW soloroaming (or in small group)? Really tired of getting ganked from Druids, Daredevils, Heralds and Reapers. Thinking about going to craft Sinister armour (as I still need to complete Auric Basin and those maps South to get access to Viper armour), but not sure if that would make any difference. Collecting Laurels do take time and I don’t want to waste laurels on stats that might not work or only during very special situation.

How should I say it…
I play chronomancer, though I take the line mainly for the 25% speed boost but I also find the combinason of trait pretty interesting depending on what I wanna do.

The issue of your build is a common issue for a lot of players. You focus to much on defensive traits. You also invest into a lot of different stats without specializing, leading your character to underperform in all area instead of performing well into a specific area. Although, your build appear centered around support and not damage, so it’s not difficult to understand that you have a hard time to kill other players.

What should I say?
Weapons set that do not fit each other, armor stats that don’t focus on DD or condi and general trait focused around survivability and healing. Everything is a big mismatch and make it obvious for me that you were bound to have a hard time dealing with other players.

What you could do?
Seek some harmony in your stats would be a great start.
Either you go staff and scepter/X, use GS and sword/X or even just focus on block with a scepter/shield and scepter/sword combo.
Leave at least one of the traitline that focus on survivability/support. You can still gain great survivability tools out of the duelist traitline and at the same time gain a lot of dps.
Take a second look at the chronomancer’s traitline could help you a lot to. You can improve your dps by simply taking the trait that resummon your fantasms or clones. The trait that grant you quickness on shatter can help a lot to. If you really want to use a trait that take advantage of slow, build yourself to have ton of access to this condition (that’s the bare minimum). Last tips, well are pretty good on NPC because they litterally don’t see them, however, some of the player don’t rush straight at you like NPC.

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Infusion.7149

Infusion.7149

I think you should get scepter instead of sword (for more shatters) and drop the runes for either power/condi rune + drop well of precog.

Sword is really difficult to use vs players and it’s a power weapon so you’d need at least 2200 base power really. Without the illusion (-20% recharge on illusions, confusion on shatter) or dueling traitline (more clones from deceptive evasion ; fury ; bleeding from clones) you’re not going to get much out of your condi gear with a sword. I’m not a fan of mirror but you’re running Inspiration so I’m guessing you’re using it because of condi clear.

I’d also use Chronophantasma instead of lost time so you can shatter more.

So for your setup right now here’s what I’d do:
condi food
switch sword to scepter , use sigil of blight or torment to make use of crits
drop well of precog for a skill such as Well of Calamity or Decoy (clone generation/ stun break)
drop signet of inspiration if you’re roaming for signet of domination or signet of midnight
drop berserker amulet for viper’s / sinister
switch rings/accessories to dire or rabid to make more condi damage and to give it more armor – should be 1500+ condi damage
use sigil of bursting ( + 6% condi damage) or sigil of malice on staff ( + 10% condi duration)
consider dropping chaos for dueling so precision does something (right now if you have 1800 power and 180% crit, your effective power is equal to a person with no ferocity and 2200 power)
definitely drop sigil of fire if you decide to have power below 2200

Desolation (EU) → Yak’s Bend (US)
In your backline: Elementalist+Mesmer+Necromancer

(edited by Infusion.7149)

in Mesmer

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Sorry, OP, but your issues do not stem from the mesmer class but from your build simply not being cohesive. Mind Wrack is unquestionably the best burst in the game still, with high-investment mesmers able to get each wrack to around 6-7k per clone against squishier targets.

Pick power or condi; building into both on your gear won’t work in WvW. You’ll find yourself exponentially weaker in power if you keep the rabid gear, and in order to make condi work for damage you need to go all-in due to how conditions scale and the way you’re applying them. You’re not really overcoming most armor thresholds now, and your conditions aren’t overcoming most cleanses + heals.

Mesmer does lack personal DPS, but it has unrivaled burst damage, especially for its durability, with only the thief being able to shell out extremely similar damage over the course of a very short time frame, but such class/build mix is unquestionably squishier by very large margins.

in Mesmer

francescoG.1069

Sorry, OP, but your issues do not stem from the mesmer class but from your build simply not being cohesive. Mind Wrack is unquestionably the best burst in the game still, with high-investment mesmers able to get each wrack to around 6-7k per clone against squishier targets.

Pick power or condi; building into both on your gear won’t work in WvW. You’ll find yourself exponentially weaker in power if you keep the rabid gear, and in order to make condi work for damage you need to go all-in due to how conditions scale and the way you’re applying them. You’re not really overcoming most armor thresholds now, and your conditions aren’t overcoming most cleanses + heals.

Mesmer does lack personal DPS, but it has unrivaled burst damage, especially for its durability, with only the thief being able to shell out extremely similar damage over the course of a very short time frame, but such class/build mix is unquestionably squishier by very large margins.

I would not know what to tell you, I like to state the facts, the facts are that among all the build I saw the mesmer dps with burst / Mind Wrack is just a build from WVW involving the use of consumables and sharpening stone, if in pvp we ended up using Alacrity Bunker dps instead of using the celestial instead of the Marauder / Berserk there is a reason.
But maybe we were wrong all except you, I would never have been happier to be wrong ^^.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

Let me be frank: Your problems are originating from the fact that your build is absolute garbage, and that there is a clear misunderstanding of how damage works in this game. All the people coming in and commiserating about how bad mesmer is either completely ignored your OP, or simply aren’t functioning at a high enough level to understand this game.

Most of your build is rabid with the exception of a few trinkets and runes that are even MORE defensive. This is a condition set that has low (no) power damage, but provides defense through toughness, utility through precision, and damage from condition damage. You’re complaining that you don’t hit very hard? Yeah, that’s because you’re using rabid, and rabid doesn’t hit hard.

You’re also randomly using some zerker gear…for no apparent reason. This does nothing other than make you squishier for no appreciable gain in power strength.

Your weapon choices are bad. Sword has no condition damage strength, and is only useful in a condition damage build for the utility it offers, but you’re obviously not using it that way (more on that later). Staff and shield are fine…but you’re missing out on a lot of strength by incorrect traiting.

Your trait choices are totally garbage for what you’re trying to do. You have absolutely zero offensive in the entire build. Your inspiration traits are all healing and defense. Your chaos traits are all defense. Your chrono traits are utility. You make a build that’s as defensive as possible with absolutely zero offense, and then you have the gall to come here to the forums and complain about doing no damage? Incredible.

You need to take 2 giant steps back and completely relearn how to craft a build. The first thing you need to do is choose what you want the build to do. Do you want it to have a strong offense, strong defense, primarily utility, or a mix. Once you’ve chosen that, you need to get into specifics. Do you want condie/power/hybrid offense? Do you want stealth/blocks/invuln defense? Do you want healing/buffing/interrupting/supporting utility? Once you’ve figured out the specifics of what you want to do, you can then choose traits and gear that support that goal. If you want power offense, you take zerker and power shatter traits. If you want condie offense you take rabid/dire and condie shatter traits. If you want hybrid you take sinister/viper and a mix of offensive traits. If you describe what your intention for your build is, I can help you make something that actually works.

TL;DR: It’s not mesmer, it’s you and your build. I can help you if you want.

(edited by Fay.2357)

in Mesmer

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

I would not know what to tell you, I like to state the facts, the facts are that among all the build I saw the mesmer dps with burst / Mind Wrack is just a build from WVW involving the use of consumables and sharpening stone, if in pvp we ended up using Alacrity Bunker dps instead of using the celestial instead of the Marauder / Berserk there is a reason.
But maybe we were wrong all except you, I would never have been happier to be wrong ^^.

OP’s complaints are based on WvW, so my reply is based on WvW. PvP punishes any kind of burst builds because the offensive stats are completely kitten.

Put simply, expect double damage in WvW from offensive builds, while tank builds retain similar defensive capabilities. Power/crit builds scale exponentially but depend on this scaling to be good. PvP amulets prevent this scaling making the investment next to worthless. Paired with a format which by design encourages tanking in a small area (not something core mesmer or any similarly-designed class (thief) is really good for when building for damage, as it depends on mobility/re-positions/general trickery for defense. Bunker chrono had the on-point immune uptime necessary to make it good for this purpose. It works in PvE because mesmer’s DPS (not burst) potential is so low and its immune uptime was so high that it didn’t really matter to exchange the mesmer as a tank for something else to run DPS. Nobody ran it in WvW, though, because the build accomplished absolutely nothing.

If this thread was about sPvP, then yes, my reply would have been different (although the high burst statements and the OP’s build not being cohesive still remain).

And no, WvW is not about consumables. Stat-wise from gear alone a berserker build will deal around 75% more scaled damage baseline compared to sPvP. That’s a massive difference. Consumables are just icing.

(edited by DeceiverX.8361)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

Well in WvW you can do a lot of builds and its all about fun and if you can play it.
But if you do a build that mixed all and go much defence then you just won´t hit hard and you won´t be a real threat …

I have a fun build that is an offensive hybrid with a spash of defence. Its fun to play and hits hard. Its intentionally not cronomancer.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQNAW8cnsICFohdqBGqBMrhFcDqMAJ4XoBpJ74cGvo2A-T1CFABvv/gAPAAmUG4nSQO0Bo8FAotDCAAHBgVU/xKleZoZozgAATeeAA-w

in Mesmer

francescoG.1069

OP’s complaints are based on WvW, so my reply is based on WvW. PvP punishes any kind of burst builds because the offensive stats are completely kitten.

Put simply, expect double damage in WvW from offensive builds, while tank builds retain similar defensive capabilities. Power/crit builds scale exponentially but depend on this scaling to be good. PvP amulets prevent this scaling making the investment next to worthless. Paired with a format which by design encourages tanking in a small area (not something core mesmer or any similarly-designed class (thief) is really good for when building for damage, as it depends on mobility/re-positions/general trickery for defense. Bunker chrono had the on-point immune uptime necessary to make it good for this purpose. It works in PvE because mesmer’s DPS (not burst) potential is so low and its immune uptime was so high that it didn’t really matter to exchange the mesmer as a tank for something else to run DPS. Nobody ran it in WvW, though, because the build accomplished absolutely nothing.

If this thread was about sPvP, then yes, my reply would have been different (although the high burst statements and the OP’s build not being cohesive still remain).

And no, WvW is not about consumables. Stat-wise from gear alone a berserker build will deal around 75% more scaled damage baseline compared to sPvP. That’s a massive difference. Consumables are just icing.[/quote]

The problem is not so much tied to pvp or WVW, I saw many mesmer make monstrous burst of DPS, I saw mesmer kill 3 players alone, then the same guy who has killed 3 col mesmer took Reavenant and has 5 killed by himself! 5! (In this WVW) for what concerns the WVW stat also improve for other classes and … I saw hordes of reaper, many scrapper and druid roaming, dh, but mesmer …. not many, I remember that there were many, many more than once.
I have seen and tried many alternatives with mesmer / chrono but the truth is that many classes have made an incredible leap with the specializations of elite, I saw mesmer talented throwing himself druid, scrapper, ele and reaper and there was no way they went downed, maybe they were good if they could not die without even dodge, I can not compare the mesmer first expansion with the chrono now and tell me that at present there are no longer valid and effective alternatives.
I was playing in the mesmer WVW, but after the expansion had to change class, not valena worth to suffer so much to turn dps and suffering in the hold of without exploding when there were more resistant constitution practical classes (now we have to run with power block and antra, and if the enemy has stability?) and at the present time better think again of the chrono.
If I am wrong to write something, I apologize, I do not speak exactly the English ^^