Deceptive Evasion is still used?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sorean.5379

Sorean.5379

After a long time I created a Mesmer again (I deleted mine long ago) and now at lv80 and almost done with Chronomancer (80%) I’ve been looking for some builds just to get an idea of what is good and what is not (I don’t actually follow premade builds,because most of them are “spam 1 and don’t click anything else to not lose DPS”) and I noticed people are not using Deceptive Evasion anymore…

I remember it was a MUST HAVE trait when it was a lv40 trait,and now looks like a few builds don’t use it,I don’t know if Chronomancer changes anything (I actually haven’t played with it yet,I just leveled this Mesmer to lv80)

Also,can anyone answer this real quick:

How is shield? Is it good? Because I know shields have a bad reputation in PvE because most of them are useless (if not all) but I love it,I still use it on my Guardian just because :P

I still have to read all Chronomancer skills (as I said,I leveled him to lv80 and got 80% of Chronomancer done with spare hero points I had when I hit 80) but I plan on using:

Sword/Shield and Greatsword

This is for general PvE (like Maguuma meta events) and maybe EotM (it doesnt count as PvP right?)

tl;dr:
• Deceptive Evasion is overkill for Chronomancers?
• Shield: Yay or Nay? (PvE)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Mogar.9216

Mogar.9216

I still use DE mostly because 1. blind on shatter is awesome. 2.More clone = more shatter
Shield is meh for me but everyone I see in pvp uses it. I just like the torch stealth too much.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Duelling line as a whole is hard to take at least for me right now, because there are so many useful things in the other lines.

The adept traits are meh, and the primary other reasons are Blinding Dissipation plus DE.

Even sharper images isn’t such a big draw compared to things from other trait lines.

I mean, Inspiration is just so good with the condi removal and so on, Chrono for obvious reasons, Illusions is mandatory for condition builds, Domination for boon strip and solid major traits, and Chaos for amazing sustain.

Especially now with shield4, Chronophantasma, IR, Mental Defence, and other illusion generating skills, coupled with the change in pace of the state of the game I find it hard to justify taking Duelling over the other options.

in Mesmer

Posted by: AlphatheWhite.9351

AlphatheWhite.9351

I run a condi shatter from time to time, with DE, IR, Chronophantasma, Persistence of Memory, Shield, Scepter and Staff.

And I can still shatter faster than I can make illusions.

in Mesmer

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

Duelling line as a whole is hard to take at least for me right now, because there are so many useful things in the other lines.

The adept traits are meh, and the primary other reasons are Blinding Dissipation plus DE.

Even sharper images isn’t such a big draw compared to things from other trait lines.

I mean, Inspiration is just so good with the condi removal and so on, Chrono for obvious reasons, Illusions is mandatory for condition builds, Domination for boon strip and solid major traits, and Chaos for amazing sustain.

Especially now with shield4, Chronophantasma, IR, Mental Defence, and other illusion generating skills, coupled with the change in pace of the state of the game I find it hard to justify taking Duelling over the other options.

Pretty much. I’d say that the best power builds right now are domination inspiration chrono, since you really don’t want to be without inspiration with the amount of Chill reapers running around eating people. And even then I’d say support builds work better and they depend on inspiration too.

I played condi necro before it was meta! And now everyone wants it!

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

in Mesmer

Sorean.5379

Thanks for the amazing replies!

I just finished Chronomancer and wow…it is so hard to play! And I’m not even talking about gameplay here (which is harder than Dragonhunter,which is my main,I must say) but it has so many options…I want to have all the wells on my skillbar all the time (but I can’t live without Blink) and the elite,the F5…it’s overwhelming.

I’m having some fun now with Domination,Inspiration and Chronomance. But I don’t know if I’ll keep it because I don’t think the healing from Inspiration is necessary in Open World,what do you guys think? Meta events in maguuma are actually harder…but Inspiration may be overkill.

But I may use it in EotM,I may try a more surport-ish build there since Mesmers can’t do a lot of damage in such a short period of time,and everything happens so fast in WvW/EotM

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

Dueling is out, and only necessary on base Mesmer.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Mogar.9216

Mogar.9216

I played a lot with both duel,insp,chrono and dom,insp,chrono. The trade off of no blind no DE for more damage and boon strip was not one I found worth it. Mostly if I’m in trouble shatter 3 – 4 time in a row saved my beacon soo many times . By then my get out of jail free cards are back on line and I can reset the fight again.
I can see in a team dom pays off more but solo que I can’t imaging not taking duel.

in Mesmer

Sorean.5379

Could anyone take a look on this build I’m currently using and tell me if it is “okay” or not?

I have Maguuma Meta events in mind (especially Dragon Stand) and sometimes EotM with slightly changes.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQNAseRncfClphtfC2fCEgiFVj68JWipjMAKgirOZn2qF

Also,Eather Feast or Well of Eternity?

Which is the most underwhelming well in your opinion? (for PvE/EotM,not PvP)

@Edit

Forgot to say that I still can’t decide between Inspiration for heals and condition cleansing or Illusions for more damage.

My logic is,Mesmer damage is already bad…so why bother trying to focus on it? But then I think about that cooldown reduction on Shatter skills from Illusions and switch back to it…Even if now I’m used to the heals and condition removal

(edited by Sorean.5379)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Arshay Duskbrow.1306

Arshay Duskbrow.1306

Neither. Go Signet of the Ether with Blurred Inscriptions, which also recharges Echo of Memory. Incidentally, I prefer Illusions over Inspiration due to reduced illusion recharge, reduced shatter recharge, and Persistence of Memory, which synergizes so well with Chronophantasma. This too reduces the recharge of Echo of Memory, for even more blocking/iAvenger spam.

On the other hand, Insipiration doesn’t really offer anything. Persisting Images is completely unnecessary now with the change to “pet” damage and the increased speed of our shatter cadence. The heal from Restorative Illusions is paltry, and Illusionary Inspiration, while a great skill in a party-based build, really offers nothing in open world PvE.

I really think you’re best served to switch out Inspiration for Illusions and go with Persistence of Memory, Shattered Strength/Phantasmal Haste, and Master of Fragmentation.

(edited by Arshay Duskbrow.1306)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

I played a lot with both duel,insp,chrono and dom,insp,chrono. The trade off of no blind no DE for more damage and boon strip was not one I found worth it. Mostly if I’m in trouble shatter 3 – 4 time in a row saved my beacon soo many times . By then my get out of jail free cards are back on line and I can reset the fight again.
I can see in a team dom pays off more but solo que I can’t imaging not taking duel.

It’s just a learning curve and adaption problem. Honestly.

in Mesmer

AlphatheWhite.9351

I really think you’re best served to switch out Inspiration for Illusions and go with Persistence of Memory, Shattered Strength/Phantasmal Haste, and Master of Fragmentation.

^
As a bonus, with Blurred Inscriptions this gives you reflect when you activate a signet.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Warlord of Chaos.7845

Warlord of Chaos.7845

I usually play dom dueling chrono these days, but occasionally dom inspir chrono or chaos inspir chrono as well. Dueling is definitely still viable because blind on shatter is amazing if you know how to use it and DE is still DE. Plus, if you run dueling, you can run sieze the moment for almost perma quickness/alacrity (If you play aggressively like I do, then this is really hard to pass up).

On the other hand, Non-dueling builds will always be great due to ireversion and chronophant (Unless they nerf either trait again). I have found that if you dont take at least chronophant, your clone management will really be hurting and you wont do much dps shatter wise. Otherwise, I do think non-dueling builds are strong and have different strengths/weaknesses than dueling does. TBH, I think all of our lines are viable now in some form.

-Rylock [vE]
Retired.

in Mesmer

Sorean.5379

Neither. Go Signet of the Ether with Blurred Inscriptions, which also recharges Echo of Memory. Incidentally, I prefer Illusions over Inspiration due to reduced illusion recharge, reduced shatter recharge, and Persistence of Memory, which synergizes so well with Chronophantasma. This too reduces the recharge of Echo of Memory, for even more blocking/iAvenger spam.

On the other hand, Insipiration doesn’t really offer anything. Persisting Images is completely unnecessary now with the change to “pet” damage and the increased speed of our shatter cadence. The heal from Restorative Illusions is paltry, and Illusionary Inspiration, while a great skill in a party-based build, really offers nothing in open world PvE.

Wow! This is some serious synergy!

I’ll try this,but I’ll miss Illusionary Inspiration and the Alacrity from the healing well (it feels great because you can cast it at your feet to heal allies and get alacrity as a bonus)

But this synergy with the Signet removing conditions and giving distortion looks too good to pass up! Thanks for the advice!

Thanks everyone posting in this thread,I’m reading every reply carefully,and learning from them!

Mesmer is really overwhelming,so many ways to play this class,I like it

in Mesmer

Posted by: mauried.5608

mauried.5608

Simple question from 1st time Mesmer.
Im trying to understand how DE works.
Ive got it selected in the Specializations build , but 90% of the time when I dodge no clone is created.
Very occasionally, and I dont know why, the clone does get created when I dodge, but I cant figure out what needed other than just dodging.
Is there anything else that you have to be doing as well to get the clone created.
Tnx.

in Mesmer

AlphatheWhite.9351

Simple question from 1st time Mesmer.
Im trying to understand how DE works.
Ive got it selected in the Specializations build , but 90% of the time when I dodge no clone is created.
Very occasionally, and I dont know why, the clone does get created when I dodge, but I cant figure out what needed other than just dodging.
Is there anything else that you have to be doing as well to get the clone created.
Tnx.

You must have a target.
You must be in combat.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Noss.4105

Noss.4105

No target needed for DE. When you dodge while in combat, you create a clone that will attack the nearest enemy or critter.

N*** Dew Gunnar’s Hold
WvW Roaming with Mesmer

in Mesmer

Posted by: Simonoly.4352

Simonoly.4352

Mental Defense, Illusionary Reversion and Chronophantasma provide all the shatter fodder I could ever need, so I rarely use Deceptive Evasion (or duelling) anymore.

Gandara