Lean on me roaming [video]

in Mesmer

Posted by: eldenbri.1059

eldenbri.1059

A few fights where I get some much-needed help from other players and even the npc’s

Have fun!

https://youtu.be/pa2otN8NLFY

in Mesmer

Posted by: PierPiero.9142

PierPiero.9142

try meta with sword offhand

in Mesmer

eldenbri.1059

I played with sword offhand in pvp back when merc amulet existed.

I have an idea that I’ve been considering with sword offhand based on my guesses about Mirage.

But for the moment, I think I’d get downed even faster in those outnumbered fights if I lost either sword or torch offhand.

in Mesmer

Posted by: GWMO.4785

GWMO.4785

I assume you use a condi setup considering you use a scepter. So in that sense i would say go sc/torch – staff. Also can you link your build? (traits & gear)

in Mesmer

eldenbri.1059

Yup – this is a condi build. I know a lot of people love staff, but I really prefer this setup.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhQQRAre7fn0nBFqhNqBmpBEgiFnjCtx2nE4MAGgEruQT0GF-TFyCQBVU50EeIAF8EAq/kIlgZRJzJ2foe6HAwRAIAACwMLzysMDO6RP6RP6RbmzcmzcmzsQALWDA-w

Having scepter mainhand always means 20% faster casts for everything (including recharging the mantra). The block on the shield is great for surviving and generating phantasms (and combined with chronophantasma and persistence of memory, that means faster recharge on iMage who’s actually one of the most damaging parts of the build). I also find Tides of Time very handy when fighting thieves.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Hot Boy.7138

Hot Boy.7138

I have one video i made a long time ago. I was killed by two thieves, so i went looking for them. I found one, and when fighting him I downed him, but as soon as I was going to finish him, someone dropped shadow’s refuge on top of him. I never saw the thief that saved him, but the two of them came out of that refuge and was attacking me, and then a third charr thief came out of nowhere. So i was fighting 3 thieves with like 100 hp and I thought I was finished. And out of nowhere, a group of players just show up and save me. It was one of the coolest moments I’ve had in WvW. As a solo roamer I never expect to be saved like that.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xaylin.1860

Xaylin.1860

Having scepter mainhand always means 20% faster casts for everything (including recharging the mantra).

Uh… It actually works that way? Didn’t know that…

The block on the shield is great for surviving and generating phantasms (and combined with chronophantasma and persistence of memory, that means faster recharge on iMage who’s actually one of the most damaging parts of the build). I also find Tides of Time very handy when fighting thieves.

I played with Sw/Sw last season because I was sick of Chronomancer and won’t touch condi for PvP either. It got a lot better with the added evade on block. Most people don’t seem to have internalized this change. I even dared playing without Illusion (Dom/Duel/Chaos or Duel/Chaos/Ill). I felt I was more versatile when picking Domination (mainly do to Shattered Concentration), but the low cooldowns with Illusions were pretty fun.

That being said, playtime and muscle memory wise I’m more of a casual and the build probably wasn’t meta enough to carry anyone. Enjoyed playing it regardless.

in Mesmer

eldenbri.1059

@HotBoy that’s a cool video and some impressive fighting. I was dead meat for thieves when I played power.

@Xaylin – yup, Malicious Sorcery speeds up everything. I made a really short video comparing recharge time with and without. It’s only about a half second different, but I really notice it. https://youtu.be/CmDWGgaa-jo

The wiki says you only have to “wearing” a scepter, so maybe this works even if scepter is not in your mainhand as long as you have one equipped? I have never actually tested it because I like mainhand scepter all the time.

in Mesmer

Posted by: GWMO.4785

GWMO.4785

Yup – this is a condi build. I know a lot of people love staff, but I really prefer this setup.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhQQRAre7fn0nBFqhNqBmpBEgiFnjCtx2nE4MAGgEruQT0GF-TFyCQBVU50EeIAF8EAq/kIlgZRJzJ2foe6HAwRAIAACwMLzysMDO6RP6RP6RbmzcmzcmzsQALWDA-w

Having scepter mainhand always means 20% faster casts for everything (including recharging the mantra). The block on the shield is great for surviving and generating phantasms (and combined with chronophantasma and persistence of memory, that means faster recharge on iMage who’s actually one of the most damaging parts of the build). I also find Tides of Time very handy when fighting thieves.

Well staff gives you some utility as well as a fast escape, so staff is really good for that matter. Also i see that you’re using balthazar runes. Why even? I mean i get that your phantasmal mage does burning, but your main conditions are confusion and torment. Both very strong in a competitive scene. Rune like Perplexity would be so much of a better choice for you. Also perhaps swap draining sigil for doom.

in Mesmer

eldenbri.1059

All good points. For me, finding a build that fits me well comes down to trying tons of variations, recording a lot of video, and then playing it back to see why certain fights went certain ways. I’ve spent somewhere around 4000 hours roaming in wvw and have tried dozens of different builds – this one seems to fit how I like to play.

So in terms of staff, while phase retreat is really nice, I just don’t find it stacks up to scepter plus torch or shield. Scepter auto attack creates clones. The block is available about every 4.5 seconds, includes an evade, creates a clone, and puts 5 stacks of torment that last a long time. Confusing images hits pretty quickly with malicious sorcery slotted. I think chaos armor on staff is really weak for defense compared to shield block or stealth from prestige. The staff phantasm is nice because it does power damage, but I find the attack slow. The staff aoe is pretty good, but I’d rather have tides of time for stunning a thief.

In terms of balthazar runes, I agree it’s not really intuitive. With the runes, you have 3 burning sources that are all AoE. If you use the burn skills with continuum split, you can put 12+ burning stacks on a foe. Most people don’t expect it, and if you get a couple of 4000 – 5000 burn ticks, it can take someone down quickly. I did this little video to show some examples (first fight is the best burst)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa1vwgpnZdU

So slotting balthazar is mostly about testing and just finding them most effective. But here is the build theory question: what is the most valuable thing to add to a condi build that has many sources of torment and confusion and a base 50% condi duration?

When I looked at that question, I didn’t see the value of extending duration for either confusion or torment. Confusion is already over 80%, and most players will cleanse. So you want more different conditions to provide cover for your condis and you want damaging ones because that’s how the build kills. I don’t have a lot of great sources for poison damage (I actually did test the asura radiation field). The doom sigil is okay, but it’s only one stack. It could be fine to tradeoff with draining sigil, but it’s not going to do a lot of damage. In this build, I also don’t have a ton of bleed sources (just the geomancy runes). The geomancy bleed already lasts a long time, so it didn’t feel like extending bleed duration had a ton of payoff. I also experimented with undead and scavenger runes, and they both have their good sides.

The final cool thing about balthazar runes is the 5 seconds of quickness when you’re below 20% health. I try a lot of foolish fights (1v3, 1v4, in enemy camps, etc). There’s a nice example at the 30 second point in this video where that quickness saves me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbdnY_tV9uI&t=17s

Thx for the questions. I like getting new ideas to test out, and I’m confident this build is not for everyone. It is a lot of fun for me, so I just share it to see if others will have fun as well. Cheers!