GS Playstyle and Necromancers...

in Necromancer

Posted by: AnathemicOne.1684

AnathemicOne.1684

With the GS reveal it’s great necros get a melee cleave weapon and can be viable in big group PvE situations that’s not “condition nuke down the slow moving adds with high toughness.” But personally for me, GS is a boring weapon.

I played GS on a Warrior, Guardian, and Ranger. Yeah it does great DPS but I find the weapon unappealing. Can’t really explain why, maybe it’s the lack of impact (like the hammer), fluidity (any MH/OH combo), and/or mobility (with the exception of the ranger GS, still found it boring however).

Not sure if anyone else feels the same way, but is GS really the only specialization/class buff that necromancers will receive? I sure hope not, if so then I dearly hope the GS is fundamentally different that what I’ve tried with 3 classes so far.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Spoj The Second.7680

Spoj The Second.7680

Ive always found greatswords the most fun, fluid and impactful weapons on the other classes. I mean they are all very mobile weapons except for mesmers. They all have nice burst skills. And they have a range of defensive and offensive skills including control on some of them. Hopefully we get something along those lines as currently none of our weapons fills that kind of feel or range of abilities. I love daggers but its pretty boring just auto attacking. So im looking forward to seeing what the greatsword brings.

in Necromancer

AnathemicOne.1684

Ive always found greatswords the most fun, fluid and impactful weapons on the other classes. I mean they are all very mobile weapons except for mesmers. They all have nice burst skills. And they have a range of defensive and offensive skills including control on some of them. Hopefully we get something along those lines as currently none of our weapons fills that kind of feel or range of abilities. I love daggers but its pretty boring just auto attacking. So im looking forward to seeing what the greatsword brings.

Warrior GS 2 != mobility in any way shape or form. Neither does Guardian GS 2. The only mobility-themed GS is Ranger and that was still meh to me (might mostly attribute said meh to the fact I really don’t like pets being required for the class).

in Necromancer

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Coming from a Ranger, the greatsword is the most fun for me. The problem with it has always been its poor damage and lack of snare.

For a necromancer we’re really jumping to conclusions. It could be a melee weapon, though that seems redundant with dagger. It could be ranged since the class is lacking a 900-1200 range power option. It could be a hybrid weapon since the staff doesn’t really fill the hybrid role too well.

We still don’t know if specializing the Necro will remove the other weapon options entirely or simply give GS on top (which makes this feel like less of a specialization and more of a mandatory fix).

We don’t know if they’ll improve the class before launch to better fill a PvE role or if ANet is just going to be lazy and make the GS fix all the PvE problems the class has (which is my concern with the Ranger’s staff since the class has about as much to offer the group as a Necro does).

We literally have nothing to go off but the class is getting a greatsword.

in Necromancer

Spoj The Second.7680

Warrior GS 2 != mobility in any way shape or form. Neither does Guardian GS 2. The only mobility-themed GS is Ranger and that was still meh to me (might mostly attribute said meh to the fact I really don’t like pets being required for the class).

Erm warrior GS 3 and 5 and guardian GS 3 are mobility skills. Ranger has GS 3. So they all have atleast 1 mobility skill and warrior has 2.

And we do have a pretty big hint that its atleast going to be melee.

http://youtu.be/JIsgotF-AXw

(edited by Spoj The Second.7680)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Not only is the hint strong that it will be melee, but with Chill on the auto-attack, it will make you feel really sluggish when you’re fighting it. May not be the highest damaging weapon Necros get access to, but I’m positive they will make it suck to fight against.

Of course, what Marjory does may be different from what we get, but unlike Caladbolg (the only other instance of a Necro wielding a Greatsword), the weapon itself isn’t known to have any mystic powers.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in Necromancer

Posted by: Zenos Osgorma.2936

Zenos Osgorma.2936

im more walking down the path its more of a vampiric weapon with Shadow ports and lich life type skills with a -short to medium range and medium cleave auto.
using skills simliar to the old Vampiric touchs that drain life and heal you.

so kind of like the opposite of current necro weapon rather than gaining more LF , it grants you more Life stealing, meaning you can free up some traits for other things or not use Specteral armour because of the hp gained from the gs skills and it might enable you to tank a good chunk of damage without a lot LF to soak.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

They kind of implied that Marj was the teaser for it, so I wouldn’t be surprised if she just uses all of the new stuff, especially since she has brand new animations instead of reused ones.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

Of course, what Marjory does may be different from what we get, but unlike Caladbolg (the only other instance of a Necro wielding a Greatsword), the weapon itself isn’t known to have any mystic powers.

Isn’ the sword fused with the ghost of her sister?

EverythingOP

in Necromancer

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

I think of two handed weapons as more damaging than one handed weapons, since they are in almost every case, except for maybe Ele scepter, Warrior axe and Ranger sword. Which makes me think it will be very sub-par because Necro dagger is already insanely damaging.. If it were stronger than our dagger AA it’d be pretty OP so it’s either going to be the same or less damaging than our dagger. Which means we still won’t be ideal for PvE and greatsword will not be an ideal weapon for power build in PvP/WvW. This doesn’t mean I think it will be a terrible weapon and I’m sure it will have it’s utility, I’m just saying dagger AA is already very good, I can’t see how greatsword could replace it.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in Necromancer

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

I think of two handed weapons as more damaging than one handed weapons, since they are in almost every case, except for maybe Ele scepter, Warrior axe and Ranger sword. Which makes me think it will be very sub-par because Necro dagger is already insanely damaging.. If it were stronger than our dagger AA it’d be pretty OP so it’s either going to be the same or less damaging than our dagger. Which means we still won’t be ideal for PvE and greatsword will not be an ideal weapon for power build in PvP/WvW. This doesn’t mean I think it will be a terrible weapon and I’m sure it will have it’s utility, I’m just saying dagger AA is already very good, I can’t see how greatsword could replace it.

Perhaps GS will be the go to weapon for cleave and stacking, swap to dagger for 1-2 targets. Seems like a valid niche and could play a good role for PVE.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in Necromancer

Posted by: ODB.6891

ODB.6891

Even if it is the same damage output as the dagger…the terrible cleave of necro dagger will be the reason a GS will replace it. Plus possible better/different effects from the new GS attacks. By default a GS will likely cleave much better than the dagger…that by itself makes it a better pve weapon. Anything extra they attach to the new GS will be cherries on top. Almost anything is better than dagger 2 and 3 currently. Add some actual mobility onto GS like every other GS except mesmer…and necros just got fixed in pve. I’m assuming this will be a power weapon and not another condi hot mess though…I’d combine this with spectral armor and spectral walk for some serious sexiness.

in Necromancer

Spoj The Second.7680

For most classes the two handed weapons have good burst skills but weak auto attacks. And then the one handed weapons have good auto attacks and weak other skills. Id predict the future rotation would be to use burst skills on greatsword and then switch to dagger focus. Similar to guardians GS + Sw/F rotation.

in Necromancer

ronpierce.2760

I just hope GS/Daggerhorn Minion master is a viable thing. I would be very pleased.

in Necromancer

ODB.6891

Here’s also hoping they make DS actually have a melee attack when a melee weapon is equipped. I’m probably in the minority on this one…but I can dream!

in Necromancer

ronpierce.2760

Here’s also hoping they make DS actually have a melee attack when a melee weapon is equipped. I’m probably in the minority on this one…but I can dream!

I just wish it didn’t suck if you weren’t super traited into life blast traits.

in Necromancer

ODB.6891

I just wish it didn’t suck if you weren’t super traited into life blast traits.

I actually don’t mind investing heavily in DS…including the life blast traits. I just want it to work well/be effective. I kinda like the concept of DS turning my melee weapon into a dark spell blade with the same effects as life blast.

in Necromancer

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Even if it is the same damage output as the dagger…the terrible cleave of necro dagger will be the reason a GS will replace it. Plus possible better/different effects from the new GS attacks. By default a GS will likely cleave much better than the dagger…that by itself makes it a better pve weapon. Anything extra they attach to the new GS will be cherries on top. Almost anything is better than dagger 2 and 3 currently. Add some actual mobility onto GS like every other GS except mesmer…and necros just got fixed in pve. I’m assuming this will be a power weapon and not another condi hot mess though…I’d combine this with spectral armor and spectral walk for some serious sexiness.

Having cleave and possibly some form of mobility would certainly make it better than dagger but since ANet has made it pretty clear they want Necro’s to be attrition based I doubt it will have mobility. Cleave however, one can hope. If it does, then yeah it will be better than dagger for PvE. I also don’t find that dagger 2 and 3 are bad at all but I can’t compare it to greatsword skills just yet since we don’t know what those will entail. I’m hoping for something like a built-in Well Of Suffering type attack such as thrusting your sword in to the ground for a damaging AOE attack that applies a few stacks of vulnerability. Or maybe a whirling attack like Guardians Whirling Wrath that steals health as you spin and replenishes some Life Force simultaneously.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in Necromancer

Spoj The Second.7680

Dagger 2 and 3 arent exactly bad. They just arent particularly useful in PvE. Anything that is single target tends to suffer a lot. Especially if its also low damage.

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

Dagger 2 and 3 arent exactly bad. They just arent particularly useful in PvE. Anything that is single target tends to suffer a lot. Especially if its also low damage.

This. People really underestimate Dagger 2, which depending on build can be as strong as a full heal, and Dagger 3 is a pretty strong single target CC. They aren’t damage or great for PvE, but they have really good utility.

My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

I can’t get past this post. I ran Warrior GS for the greater part of 6 months straight in WvW, and it’s very much a mobility weap. GS 2, the skill everyone focuses on, is ultra situational unless you’re built around it entirely. In that case, you’re ultra counterable.

Also, Dagger #3 was my jam. In WvW it’s borderline imbalanced since you can get the immob up to 5+ seconds, and the #2 I tried working in a few times but I’d always forget to use it. Not a terrible ability though, just situational. Not every ability needs to be part of the max DPS rotation to be used on cooldown to be good.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

in Necromancer

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

NO TO NECRO GS from my part. RIDICULOUS!!.
Could use a normal sword for casting… that still makes some sense.
Same NO goes to Mesmer GS & Double-Sword. (Give it to Thief and maybe Ranger!)
/ facepalm

Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

in Necromancer

Posted by: VitalSuit.1980

VitalSuit.1980

Wat. You’re telling me that Warrior’s greatsword is not mobility themed? You’re telling me that Rush + Whirlwind is not mobility? Are you drunk?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

Maybe Necromancer will finally get a leap!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Flumek.9043

Flumek.9043

I have one concern though.

If you check the animation video, marjory does a 360 spin on 3rd chain of autoatack. I really hope it wont lock you into place like the stupid ranger 1h sword.

The chain seems pretty fast which is great, just hope they wont make it sluggish and justify it with the chill.

PvP guild [YUM] -apply- (EU) http://muffinspvp.shivtr.com/

in Necromancer

ODB.6891

Guys, GS won’t save necro in PvE. What necro lacks are party buffs, not DPS. We need utilities, not weapon skills.

You have absolutely no way of knowing that. A viable melee power weapon…one that actually cleaves, will be a huge step toward PvE viability. What we don’t know are the details as to what specializing the necro will bring besides just the GS. That’s what will make the difference. Party buffs aren’t the only thing that will matter…but admittedly they are a major factor. For all we know…they may actually incorporate some boons in the specialization as a trade off. I’d even take necros in PvE if they made withering precision better…reduce the CD between applications. They did specifically say that abilities, utilities, and elites were things that will change when you specialize. What I got out of their information on specialization is that they are actually allowing the building of almost a new class out of existing classes. The only way to get that GS on a necro will be to do this specialization. They are giving themselves a way to fix all the existing issues…its up to them if they take advantage of this opportunity…they even found a way for us to pay for the fixes…expansion pack…no excuses left for them.

(edited by ODB.6891)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Greatsword for Necro will really, really break the whole theme for me. I just hate that oversized crap and it’s going to look as ridiculous as Mesmer now which is a big no no.

But if you really, really have to push us into that area, make a new spec with GS purely Siphon based.

And give me a choice for a caster power spec, managing Life Force dynamically.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Necromancer

Posted by: Zetsumei.4975

Zetsumei.4975

Greatsword for Necro will really, really break the whole theme for me. I just hate that oversized crap and it’s going to look as ridiculous as Mesmer now which is a big no no.

But if you really, really have to push us into that area, make a new spec with GS purely Siphon based.

And give me a choice for a caster power spec, managing Life Force dynamically.

That’s what majory’s katana skin is for :P

Kurodaraku – Necromancer | Kuroshikon – Ranger
Officer of [DEX] Deus Ex Machina Eu and [Fus] Fus Ro Dâh
Ruins of Surmia

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

I am extremely happy about necro with GS and can’t see why some people dislike the idea. For me, I think every class should be able to use everything. We already can pick up environmental hammer/spell tome/anything. There are many necro/dark themed greatswords!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

I just fear it will feel too anime-like.

I like Japan, feudal or not. But I absolutely can’t stand anime and it’s style taking over many good productions.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Necromancer

Posted by: Brujeria.7536

Brujeria.7536

I like GS a lot, but i dislike the idea of giving us more group support. Thats just not what a necromancer does imho. We do have a few problems in PVE, sure, but these should be fixed in another way. Foe example by a higher base damage then all other classes, or a stronger self buff.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

I like GS a lot, but i dislike the idea of giving us more group support. Thats just not what a necromancer does imho. We do have a few problems in PVE, sure, but these should be fixed in another way. Foe example by a higher base damage then all other classes, or a stronger self buff.

I hope you’re kidding. Necromancers desperately need group buffs. Yesterday I entered ac p3 “zerk only” lfg (didn’t specify anything else!) and was immediately kicked and PMed “no necros, especially ugly ones”. We are too selfish in buffs and we also lack blocks/evades and mobility.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Brujeria.7536

Brujeria.7536

I hope you’re kidding. Necromancers desperately need group buffs. Yesterday I entered ac p3 “zerk only” lfg (didn’t specify anything else!) and was immediately kicked and PMed “no necros, especially ugly ones”. We are too selfish in buffs and we also lack blocks/evades and mobility.

They should not destroy the class philosophy only to make us fit in a broken dungeon meta.

in Necromancer

Spoj The Second.7680

Actually its a pretty poor decision not to bring a neglected class inline with the others. And you guys are failing to realise this specialisation is basically like changing the necro into a new class. So if you want to keep your old standard necro feel just dont specialise. :P

in Necromancer

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

If the GS is a melee power weapon… I may finally make a Necro… A CHARR NECRO (cause no other toon I have is a charr)…

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

Do Necros need party buffs, or does debuffing/boon stripping need to be a viable way to approach a PvE encounter? I feel like people are submitting to shoehorning Necros into the current design philosophy of dungeons, when I’d submit that the design philosophy is broken in a way that specifically excludes Necros. Giving Necros party buffs feels like fixing a symptom and not the problem.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

in Necromancer

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Even if boon stripping were a thing, it wouldn’t get Necromancers invites because Mesmer does it better since they have it on their auto attack. So unless an NPC buffed like 10 boons once every minute, and removing those 10 boons was absolutely vital, AND this was something EVERY boss did and not just some niche encounter, it really wouldn’t change much.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Do Necros need party buffs, or does debuffing/boon stripping need to be a viable way to approach a PvE encounter? I feel like people are submitting to shoehorning Necros into the current design philosophy of dungeons, when I’d submit that the design philosophy is broken in a way that specifically excludes Necros. Giving Necros party buffs feels like fixing a symptom and not the problem.

The problem with that approach is that very few debuffs aren’t already in speedrun meta builds. Yes, PvE needs to be altered to make debuffs more important, but then Necros need to have at least a couple of unique debuffs.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

What is wrong with Necromancers buffing? One of our biggest specs in all of GW1 was a party buffing spec, and MM was heavily focused on both buffs and debuffs as well.

My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

AnathemicOne.1684

I can’t get past this post. I ran Warrior GS for the greater part of 6 months straight in WvW, and it’s very much a mobility weap. GS 2, the skill everyone focuses on, is ultra situational unless you’re built around it entirely. In that case, you’re ultra counterable.

Also, Dagger #3 was my jam. In WvW it’s borderline imbalanced since you can get the immob up to 5+ seconds, and the #2 I tried working in a few times but I’d always forget to use it. Not a terrible ability though, just situational. Not every ability needs to be part of the max DPS rotation to be used on cooldown to be good.

Wat. You’re telling me that Warrior’s greatsword is not mobility themed? You’re telling me that Rush + Whirlwind is not mobility? Are you drunk?

Why would Necromancer need a buff in WvW? If you read the original OP you would know I’m referring to GS use in PvE, and in PvE you are spamming Warrior GS 3 or 5 rarely in dungeons and never during Tequatl, Triple Wurm, or the recent Vinewrath.

(edited by AnathemicOne.1684)

in Necromancer

Spoj The Second.7680

Those skills are dps increases in PvE so you would spam them. :P

in Necromancer

AnathemicOne.1684

Those skills are dps increases in PvE so you would spam them. :P

Yeah, but Warrior GS auto and 2 is what all you spam during these group PvE fights rendering the other 3 (ie more than 50%) of the weapon skillbar useless. This is what I find horrendously boring about the playstyle. I mean take Warrior Hammer’s skillbar, the entire skillbar is viable and used in any of the group PvE events I quoted earlier.

in Necromancer

Spoj The Second.7680

Everything is viable and hammer is far from good but its still viable. Your arguement doesnt really make sense. They are mobility skills. Whether you use them in all combat situations is irrelevant. They make the class mobile.

Also you would use gs 4 aswell. Its a dps increase on anything that isnt against a wall. You would also use 5 if it worked properly on world bosses. GS 3 should also be used. Sounds like you just dont really understand the warrior or how to play it in different types of encounters. :P

in Necromancer

AnathemicOne.1684

Everything is viable and hammer is far from good but its still viable. Your arguement doesnt really make sense. They are mobility skills. Whether you use them in all combat situations is irrelevant. They make the class mobile.

Also you would use gs 4 aswell. Its a dps increase on anything that isnt against a wall. You would also use 5 if it worked properly on world bosses.

The issue is not making them used in all combat situations, the issue (in group PvE) is making them viable in said specific combat situations that is group PvE which is arguably endgame content. Like I said, you’re never going to use Warrior GS 3 or 5 in Teq or Triple Wurm, and if you do then for the former you will not be in the zerg and not be doing damage and for the latter you have the high chance of ruining the entire fight for everyone.

in Necromancer

Spoj The Second.7680

Thats not true for gs 3. :P

Anyway calling Tequatl and Wurm as endgame content is pretty laughable. The real challenge in those encounters is filtering the maps to people who listen. Everything else is hardly a challenge when people have even semi decent knowledge.

in Necromancer

AnathemicOne.1684

Thats not true for gs 3. :P

Anyway calling Tequatl and Wurm as endgame content is pretty laughable. The real challenge in those encounters is filtering the maps to people who listen. Everything else is hardly a challenge when people have even semi decent knowledge.

If Teq and Triple wurm aren’t endgame PvE content then that leaves dungeons/fractals (whome ANet has seemed to abandoned over the past year), and Living Story updates. What am I missing here exactly when prioritizing the megabosses of the game as endgame PvE content, difficulty is irrelevant if the mass playerbase still perceives it as endgame content.

in Necromancer

Spoj The Second.7680

My point is argueing about the use of abilities on such easy content which is entirely dependant on things out of the individuals control is a pretty pointless. You can play completely uselessly and still suceed at those events. Its not an arguement. I dont even know why im argueing about this.

You said those weapons werent mobile. They clearly are as they have mobility skills. Which can be used for map traveling or combat situations such as evading attacks, gap closing or combat mobility in difficult fights (kiting to recover endurance etc). Whether you see a use or not in whatever content you play is irrelevant. They are mobile weapons and you cant deny that.

in Necromancer

AnathemicOne.1684

My point is argueing about the use of abilities on such easy content which is entirely dependant on things out of the individuals control is a pretty pointless. You can play completely uselessly and still suceed at those events. Its not an arguement. I dont even know why im argueing about this.

You said those weapons werent mobile. They clearly are as they have mobility skills. Which can be used for map traveling or combat situations such as evading attacks, gap closing or combat mobility in difficult fights (kiting to recover endurance etc). Whether you see a use or not in whatever content you play is irrelevant. They are mobile weapons and you cant deny that.

But I am correct in saying they are not mobile in group PvE scenarios, again you are not using any of those mobility skills during these situations. Just because they are there doesn’t make it mobile if you’re not using said skills. This is why I find GS playstyle boring because in group PvE scenarios you rarely use the kitten skills and are essentially spamming AA and one skill 99% of the time.

And to bring it back to the OP. Yes I’m specifically referring to group PvE, I don’t give a kitten about WvW because Necros are fine in WvW and arguable sPvP. If necro is going to get a GS and operate similarly to how other GS’s work (ie spamming 1-2 skills on the weapon skillbar in group PvE combat (yes group PvE combat, the only type of situation where necros need a vast improvement in)), then I would be very dissapointed and seems like ANet is just throwing the GS at necros as a fix to their problems in group PvE instead of meaningful class changes.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Gruocs.3412

Gruocs.3412

I… What am I reading here?

Hexagonis [HeX]

in Necromancer

Posted by: Aenesthesia.1697

Aenesthesia.1697

well. since they didn’t give us a battle scythe, they could very well make the gs work like vindictus’ battle scythe. That would ease my hangover for that game’s fantastic playstyle.