Greatsword: will be Melee or ranged ?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

What you all think. Will it be Melee like a Guardian,

Or will it be a ranged weapon like Mesmer?

:-)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

There’s your answer.

Pretty fast auto chain. Whole thing takes about 1.7 seconds.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in Necromancer

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

There’s your answer.

What’s your answer because I can’t see that video right now

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dondagora.9645

Dondagora.9645

There’s your answer.

What’s your answer because I can’t see that video right now

Melee.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

I hope GS does massive bleeds. Scepter is the only full-on condi-weapon but is fairly long range and so is limited in direct damage. Necro has dagger and axe for power weapons leaving staff and off-hand as general utilities.

in Necromancer

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

I hope GS does massive bleeds. Scepter is the only full-on condi-weapon but is fairly long range and so is limited in direct damage. Necro has dagger and axe for power weapons leaving staff and off-hand as general utilities.

Axe is a terrible power weapon. Our GS needs to be a GREAT power melee weapon. The dagger is cool except it lacks GOOD cleave. Like what the GS on ranger/warrior/guard do. Mesmer has good cleave if you consider the Zerker. Melee/Cleave power house

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

GS is much more likely to be a power weapon with debuffs like chill, as that what Marjory does. Necro lacks power cleave that is more than 2. Axe doesn’t really count because the 600 range and low damage, and the fact it’s single target, makes it generally not worth even using.

in Necromancer

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

I agree, I’ll be very sad if its not a power weapon. Condi builds generally do just fine with Sce+Da/Staff. We’re very very lacking in PVE right now and one of the reasons for that is our lowish power dps and lack of viable cleave, coupled with being a very selfish class. If anything our DPS should be one of the highest BECAUSE of our selfishness, but alas, we have a lot of work to be done. If they pass up the opportunity to give Necromancers a fighting chance in PVE with this weapon, I’ll be greatly disappointed.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

Still, axe is a power weapon; traited in Spite, conditions benefit from duration, increases ally dps with vulnerability, and builds LF quickly. However, Dagger is a much higher personal dps weapon but it does not increase group dps with vuln or decrease incoming damage with soft conditions unless it is run off hand.

Necro has 2 power weapons for main hand, three if you really look at staff, (dagger, axe) and 2 power weapons for off hand (focus, war horn) but only one condition weapon for main hand (scepter) and one for off hand (dagger).

All you need to do is look at the conditions the main hand weapons apply. Do they benefit from condition damage or only from condition duration?

At least axe has alternatives; dagger and staff.

Unfortunately, I am pretty sure greatsword will also be a power weapon. Anet has hated condition damage on Necro almost since release.

Edit: Necro dps is good but might stacking, boons, and other group support skills are horrid. That is the major reason for Necromancer’s problem in PvE. Necromancer’s specialty is conditions, which are largely ignored by major bosses or capped by allies.

(edited by Anchoku.8142)

in Necromancer

ronpierce.2760

I’d rather them give staff 1 a condition and just let it be a condition weapon, honestly. Staff is an iffy power weapon, more utility than anything, except it works best with conditions because of the low CD on Staff2.

in Necromancer

Lazaar.9123

Honestly, I think that getting Necromancers into a good spot on the power side should be a higher priority in PvE, because it seems like conditions are something that will take quite a bit longer to properly fix, so i’d personally prefer to not have another condition weapon until it’s sorted out.

in Necromancer

ronpierce.2760

Honestly, I think that getting Necromancers into a good spot on the power side should be a higher priority in PvE, because it seems like conditions are something that will take quite a bit longer to properly fix, so i’d personally prefer to not have another condition weapon until it’s sorted out.

Speaking of, I’m really REALLY surprised there was no mention of fixing conditions and how they are applied considering PVE. An expansion would have been the best time to try to sort that out. o.O

in Necromancer

Lazaar.9123

Speaking of, I’m really REALLY surprised there was no mention of fixing conditions and how they are applied considering PVE. An expansion would have been the best time to try to sort that out. o.O

Yeah… it is a bit disappointing really, but iv’e kind of given up hope on conditions in PvE, so any announcement would surprise me.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kilger.5490

Kilger.5490

Necro has lots of power weapons as mentioned, only one condi weapon (sceptre). Mind you they could make it good for both like staff.

Kilger – Human Ranger
alts: Fangyre (Necro), Hardrawk (Ele);
Jade Quarry

in Necromancer

ronpierce.2760

Necro has lots of power weapons as mentioned, only one condi weapon (sceptre). Mind you they could make it good for both like staff.

I wouldn’t say lots.

Power:
Dagger MH
Axe MH
Focus Offhand

Condition:
Scepter MH
Dagger OH

Utility:
Staff (Strong bias toward Conditions)
Warhorn

It’s fairly even. Both types have a two “viable” sets for first and secondary weapon set, with a little give for offhand choices.

The problem is, another condition weapon would just be an “icing on the cake” sort of thing, where as Greatsword could be used to fix a serious PVE issue with the necromancer. Right now we have terrible cleave and no “viable” way to be competitive or truly useful in a group. This weapon could fix that very easily, and I think that is a much more important consideration than just adding more flavor to a single play style.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Spoj The Second.7680

Spoj The Second.7680

Condition necro is fine. Doesnt really need any help. The only thing that would bring condi necro on the same level as engi and warrior in terms of damage is perma burn.

Even if greatsword did end up being a condi weapon. I doubt it would be better than scepter dagger. So its a wasted opportunity to not go down the helping PvE side.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Balekai.6083

Balekai.6083

I’m thinking GS is going to be a soft condi crowd control, but purely power DPS weapon. So melee with chill auto attacks and maybe weakness application/pulls, as I don’t see GS being a mobility weapon for Necros. Instead it’s probably going to be an anchor weapon where enemies get chill spammed in your area of control.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Roe.3679

Roe.3679

I’m torn as to what I want it to be, condi necro has been the same for a long time but power necro needs more love. I hope it has some use for either spec, kind of like a melee staff.

in Necromancer

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

Melee Greatsword will be great for PvE, but without group boons, leaps, blocks, immobilizes, evades or teleports will be irrelevant in PvP.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

Melee Greatsword will be great for PvE, but without group boons, leaps, blocks, immobilizes, evades or teleports will be irrelevant in PvP.

Where are the group boons, leaps, blocks, immobilizes, evades, or teleports on Staff, Scepter, OH Dagger, MH Axe, OH Focus, and OH Warhorn? I don’t think those are irrelevant in PvP. Sure, many are ranged/range-ish weapons, but having a melee AA doesn’t mean the whole weapon will operate in melee range.

Seems like a bit of a sweeping generalization to make off of an auto-attack video. I can’t wait to use it in PvP in whatever design they decide for it.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

in Necromancer

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Assuming the auto-attack is unchanged from what Marjory has, I can confidently say the following.

1. The weapon is primarily melee.
2. Sustained damage will not be from conditions.
3. You will feel sluggish when fighting against it Amount varies with how much Chill duration the Necro invested in.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in Necromancer

Posted by: DarkMezmer.5198

DarkMezmer.5198

Assuming necro GS skills are about soft cc like chill and weakness you could run a power build with GS and dagger/dagger. Just think of the carnage you could do with hitting opponents with dagger#3 then WoS and GS. You also wouldn’t need to run staff for condi transfer since dagger#4 would handle that plus a blind and not to forget dagger#5 adding more weakness and bleed with dagger#2 hp siphon for when you need to back off for a lil breathing room.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

I honestly don’t know what I want it to be. I know I don’t want 2 melee weapons for the class. In my dream scenario, they’d increase axe to 900, increase dagger to 600, and make GS the melee weapon.

In my wildest dream scenario, they’ll give us the same types of attacks Rangers get…

#1: 3 hit chain with a 1 second chill on the third hit.
#2: A strong AE burst skill that also causes bleed and is a blast finisher.
#3: A mobility skill where we get black smokey wings, leap at the target, and leave a trail or poison behind us.
#4: A move to block projectiles or counter attack an opponent.
#5: An interrupt that applies 3 stacks of bleed unless used from the back in which case it would apply 3 stacks of torment.

I honestly wish Ranger GS stood on its own better because I really love that weapon. Back when Shortbow was a good power weapon and had 1200 range I was in heaven.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kilger.5490

Kilger.5490

^^^
Yep that would be sweet!

I would change up #4 for a reflect projectiles though, we are short on any kind of projectile defense.

Kilger – Human Ranger
alts: Fangyre (Necro), Hardrawk (Ele);
Jade Quarry