Here we are 4-ish years later

in Necromancer

Posted by: Zero Solstice.9754

Zero Solstice.9754

We have quite possibly the largest selection of playable utilities and traits of any class in the game. No other class has our level of ambiguity in terms of their specific selections. Out of 33 total utility slot skills, 24 of them are actively used in different builds. That’s just about 75% of our utilities.

Some of our abilities are slow and questionable, others are slow and strong, and even others are fast and weak or fast and strong. Over time, however, ANet has been trying to give the class some tuning to give these slower abilities so fresh air, such as Life Siphon, Ghastly Claws, Focus cast times, etc.

We don’t have a lot of selection in terms of straight-up burst combos, but we have plenty of individual abilities that hit quite hard and some that synergize well for a large amount of consequent damage.

Still a CC sponge, but we have some great stunbreaks on low cooldowns and access to Stability now; any class that gets focused hard will get CC trained into the floor if they don’t have blocks or invulnerabilities.

Necro is in a dependent state because of how ANet is choosing to balance it, and a lot of the other changes don’t fully address the true problem, however a lot of the things you are complaining about have been updated, at least marginally, in the last year alone, let alone over the 4 year life span of the game. It isn’t really fair to say that the class is bad, but it is definitely reliant to achieve top potential.

“Reaper’s only big weakness will be that you have to play Necromancer to use it”
~Bhawb.7409

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ravezaar.4951

Ravezaar.4951

basicly left the game by now only login in maybe once /week but Necro is the one class they couldnt not transfer from gw2 to gw2 and Necro never really had a set position in this game. I recall it was strong before the game launched when Shroud scaled x- but Shroud is function still looking for a good balance after 4y.

Necro just isnt a good class, never will be… its fun if ppl leave u be but most just do the opposite and then this class becomes a liability instead

Underjordens Furste 80 Necro Piken-server
Servant of Dhuum

in Necromancer

Posted by: Fashion Mage.3712

Fashion Mage.3712

in Necromancer

Posted by: miguelsil.6324

miguelsil.6324

We have quite possibly the largest selection of playable utilities and traits of any class in the game. No other class has our level of ambiguity in terms of their specific selections. Out of 33 total utility slot skills, 24 of them are actively used in different builds. That’s just about 75% of our utilities.

Some of our abilities are slow and questionable, others are slow and strong, and even others are fast and weak or fast and strong. Over time, however, ANet has been trying to give the class some tuning to give these slower abilities so fresh air, such as Life Siphon, Ghastly Claws, Focus cast times, etc.

We don’t have a lot of selection in terms of straight-up burst combos, but we have plenty of individual abilities that hit quite hard and some that synergize well for a large amount of consequent damage.

Still a CC sponge, but we have some great stunbreaks on low cooldowns and access to Stability now; any class that gets focused hard will get CC trained into the floor if they don’t have blocks or invulnerabilities.

Necro is in a dependent state because of how ANet is choosing to balance it, and a lot of the other changes don’t fully address the true problem, however a lot of the things you are complaining about have been updated, at least marginally, in the last year alone, let alone over the 4 year life span of the game. It isn’t really fair to say that the class is bad, but it is definitely reliant to achieve top potential.

Fast stun breaks? usefull ones with fast casting? I dont see them

in Necromancer

Posted by: FrostDraco.8306

FrostDraco.8306

Almost half the shouts break stuns, and so does flesh wurm. They all have no cast time, and are aoe(shouts). Then there is foot in the grave, which is instant seeing as shroud is instant.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Zero Solstice.9754

Zero Solstice.9754

“You Are All Weaklings!” – 30s base cooldown / 18s traited lowest – Applies large amounts of Might and respectable Weakness, synergy with Blighter’s Boon

Plague Signet – 30s base cooldown / 24s traited – Transformationally usable as an offensive Condi-bomb utility, synergy with Signets of Suffering

Spectral Armor – 40s base cooldown – Feeds our class mechanic, is maintained even in Shroud

Summon Flesh Wurm – 30s cooldown – Blinks, comes with a ranged reasonable-DPS minion

Foot in the Grave – 10s cooldown / 7s traited – Generally speaks for itself

Infusing Terror – 25s cooldown / 8 seconds cumulative stability uptime = ~25% stability uptime – Comes with a free AoE Fear for those who actually manage the ability well enough to use it

There are plenty of strong options with different upsides (and downsides), you’re just crying about a problem that doesn’t exist; of all possible issues, Necro having bad stunbreaks isn’t one of them.

“Reaper’s only big weakness will be that you have to play Necromancer to use it”
~Bhawb.7409

in Necromancer

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Wait … the same ‘problems’ as 4 years ago … anyone ever think some or all of these ‘problems’ are just intended deficiencies of the class? Probably not ay?

in Necromancer

Posted by: charrboiledeggs.8164

charrboiledeggs.8164

And necros still have the SAME exact complaints.

CC sponge
No bursty skill combos
Slow wimpy attacks
A plethora of unplayed utilities.

Reaper made great strides, but the class is still pretty bad.

Maybe 2017 will be the year they fix necro /s

Don’t forget the consume conditions that has a 1 1/4 cast time that actually takes 3 seconds and is interrupted even after it is cast.

Power builds R a dying breed but there R those that retain the skill 2 play them.
Protest & Rally against this no skill meta anet has created.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kahrgan.7401

Kahrgan.7401

Wait … the same ‘problems’ as 4 years ago … anyone ever think some or all of these ‘problems’ are just intended deficiencies of the class? Probably not ay?

With no immunities and a somewhat unreliable source of stability fora a class with limited mobility.. A blink that has to be pre cast and can be killed,

Yeah i see exactly what youre trying to say /s

Don’t call anyone out on their BS, that’s an infraction and a deleted post. —Anet.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

With no immunities and a somewhat unreliable source of stability fora a class with limited mobility.. A blink that has to be pre cast and can be killed,

Yeah i see exactly what youre trying to say /s

Sounds to me like you are ignoring the reality here. You could complain about those things but the real point I’m trying to impress upon you is that you got a class that has worked more or less the same for 4 years … and you think you’re going to make a thread, list all these things you don’t like all and get some kind of results from Anet doing that?

Here is some real, useful advice to you; if you aren’t good with a class and it bothers you after FOUR years, don’t play it. That’s not glib, that’s just honest veteran experience telling you how things work because Anet does use data to address problems in the game and THIS thread isn’t a data point … fewer players using a class IS a datapoint. Imagine whatever reason you want, but there is one for why things you point out haven’t changed … and it will be the SAME reason they will continue to not change or maybe just a tiny bit over a very long period of time.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Reknarok.7582

Reknarok.7582

the real problem here is power creep

its the fact that theres so much boon stacking, burst damage, and condi cleansing nowadays that it interferes with a necros ability to stay alive through condis like blind, weakness, et cetera. shroud becomes pointless because everyone can just burn through ur life force with little regard, it just staves off death considering our healing is so very limited while in shroud

the pacing of pvp combat pre-hot was more or less perfect. it was steady, easy to read, and skills were used in a reactive nature. nowadays u just mash everything u have and dodge on cd until ur left standing

i come back to the game every now and then to play, have fun for a month or so, but then i feel so crippled simply due to my class choice that i stop playing again

id love to see changes to bring gw2 back to what it was pre-hot, but i doubt thatll ever happen. sad too, cause i loved this game

in Necromancer

Posted by: Runiir.6425

Runiir.6425

We really just need a proper answer to our mobility, like perminant cripple/snare immunity in our shroud. It isn’t like we would suddenly get any faster, and frankly it creates a proper movie monster feel which they have always been going for with the necro in GW2. You can’t slow us, you can’t stop us, thus the only answer is to make yourself faster if you want to kite us. Besides, plenty of knockbacks and knockdowns in the game we would still be vulnerable too.

This also makes our shroud a tad more useful than treating it as temporary damage kit or defensive.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sigmoid.7082

Sigmoid.7082

We really just need a proper answer to our mobility, like perminant cripple/snare immunity in our shroud.

You can pretty much have it but you just need reaper and to trait for it.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

We really just need a proper answer to our mobility, like perminant cripple/snare immunity in our shroud.

You can pretty much have it but you just need reaper and to trait for it.

Hoelbrek runes, Relentless Pursuit and Lemongrass/poultry soup.

106% reduction to snares in shroud. 73% normally.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Reaper is just a garbage version of warrior/rev/guardian.

Completely selfish class whose utility to the group doesn’t scale up the way boon/cc heavy classes like guardian/warrior/rev do in WvW frontlines.

And the survivability is abysmal because it requires you go into shroud which guts your damage because shroud damage is pitiful compared to your weaponskills.

Meanwhile a warrior pops a few stances and does his ridiculous amounts of damage as do revs with their damage absorptions.

Moreover, unlike a guardian who has a good ranged power weapon to retaliate against kiting classes, the necro has a kitten stain axe with a terrible autoattack and all its damage and life force generation tied to a easily interrupted/dodged channeled cast.

With no meaningful ranged aoe to boot for the poke wars or dealing with stealth.

It’s why necro will only excel as a condi bomb/manipulation class.

Necro also has easily the worst heals in the game and for being an “attrition” class it’s one of the classes with the worst staying power because they can’t replenish their health pools easily and frequently like others due to the crappy damage sponge that is death shroud.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Foefaller.1082

Foefaller.1082

I take it this thread is mostly about Necromancer’s perceived woes in sPvP and Wuv, correct?

Because I look at the LFG for T4 fractals and see about 3-4 groups that have 2-3 necros and/or have some form of “Necro Only” in their description, and it makes it feel like ya’ll are in denial.

As to the OP, first two (especially #2) “Problems” are intentional, devs have said that several times several different ways. #3 is something of a concern, mainly as it means a lack of true “punishment” skills that take advantage of an opening or mistake by your opponent ,though it at least in part is also due to #2.

As for #4, are there any specifics you have in mind? because I don’t play as Necro in serious ranked pvp much, but I do nearly all my fractals with mine (everything except Nightmare CM), and I can think of about 6 skills I’d never use as a Condi or Power Reaper. They are (in no particular order) YSIM, Well of Life, Spectral Armor, Summon Bone Fiend, Plague Form (save in Aquatic Ruins, because no other elite works) and Spectral Wall. Everything else – including Spectral Grasp and Walk, other minions, wells and shouts, and every single corruption and signet skill – I have gotten at least a niche use out of, even if it’s just one encounter on one fractal with a specific instability.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Acanthus.8120

Acanthus.8120

I don’t know about you, but I’m pretty happy with Necromancer. Not the base class, no, but the base class traits do, in fact, synergize REALLY well with Reaper (whether or not you think it’s good that its mandatory is another issue). Almost to the point of absurdity with the number of ways you can build it. The only flaws in are are lack of burst damage, sub-optimal power dps (although you can trait for “okay” damage while being pretty kitten hard to kill), and inherent selfishness. Although I feel that the selfishness is fine when you consider how stupidly powerful abilities like epidemic have the potential to be.

In PvP, too, it has a lot of useful synergies, like plague being able to perma-blind/chill(bleed) while your team cleans up. You could even bait the enemies into condition spamming yourself into a transfer/epidemic if you so chose. I’m not much of a PvPer, but even I can see it has a lot of potential applications.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

It needs a revamp, the whole class and specialization. At first Reaper seemed like the fix that was needed, but now it’s clear to me that it’s just a band-aid to a gash in the side. All of the lingering problems are still there and so easily exploited, and most other specializations simply got stronger.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

the only problem for reaper is sustained ranged dps (not saying it should have it), with that it would be god tier. axe still sucks major baloney and so that’s what I blame.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in Necromancer

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

It needs a revamp, the whole class and specialization. At first Reaper seemed like the fix that was needed, but now it’s clear to me that it’s just a band-aid to a gash in the side. All of the lingering problems are still there and so easily exploited, and most other specializations simply got stronger.

The lingering problems still linger because what the reaper offset from the core game, the rest of the elites also negated.

Nerf HoT, problems go away. Necro/Reaper is largely in an awesome state in the confines of core game right now.