Necro or Mesmer?

Necro or Mesmer?

in Necromancer

Posted by: zeoli.3250

zeoli.3250

Hi guys,

Currently I have a lvl 80 Mesmer and a lvl 11 Necro. I enjoy both, however, I do not know what the Necro is like at “end game”. I am looking at the professions from all of the games aspects and would like your input.

In the end I would like to just play the one profession and master that one. I am uncertain about the Mesmer due to myself not actually applying conditions and using clones to do so. This in itself is limiting due to the targeting system nulifying any attempt at masking who i am.

Primarily I like to focus on conditions.

So I ask you guys and girls, which In your opinion is better at being a Condition based profession that has some survivability?

P.S. I realise that by asking this in the Necro section I will get a biased reply.

For clarification I have tried the Necro in the mists against each of the Duelists and I am still in two minds.

Necro or Mesmer?

in Necromancer

Posted by: LastDay.3524

LastDay.3524

Mesmers are very powerful atm.
They are mobile and have high damage which makes them a lot of fun to play.

Meanwhile Necromancers are underpowered, largely due to all the bugs they have.
They are also the least mobile Profession and deal the lowest damage.
This is because they are meant to outlast every other Profession, so dealing high damage and being fast would make them incredibly overpowered.
I wouldn’t call Necros squishy but I definitely don’t think they are hardest to kill either.

You are likely to get many replies telling you to stick with Mesmer.
With that said the Necromancer has more skills that manipulate Conditions than any other Profession.
You are very helpful to Warriors and Guardians in dungeons and are tough enough to also often revive people near the front lines.

Currently there aren’t that many builds that work well.
The ones that do aren’t too shabby, however.

While Necros don’t apply conditions as fast as some other Professions they can spread them to 5 other targets with Epidemic.
While Necros don’t have a ton of Condition removal they have skills that instead take the Conditions off allies and put them on foes, turning their own Conditions against them.

Necromancers often have kind of underrated offensive support role.
All conditions both those of enemies and allies are tools to be used, so Necromancers like to be in group fights.

Something to keep in mind is that the Necromancer will likely get a ton of bug fixes after the patch on 15th of this month.

Benight[Edge]

Necro or Mesmer?

in Necromancer

Posted by: jalmari.3906

jalmari.3906

I have tried mesmer, necro and warrior gameplay seriously and I think mesmer is strongest in pvp atm. You’ve a lot of useful skills and stuff and damage is really awesome.

Necromancer is fun as long as you don’t run into strong tanks who can shrug off your conditions or mesmers which are really annoying to kill etc.

Guardian 80 Necromancer 80 Ranger 80 Mesmer 80 Elementalist 80 Warrior 80

Necro or Mesmer?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sparda.9750

Sparda.9750

mesmer is the king of spvp.. and, ikittennow how use him, thief too..
mesmer has a good life and an average of armor. good damages, if u specialized on phantoms and because of clones, high survability..

necro has a very good life and armor, but the only build that works is that of condition damages.. the problem is only one: to inflict a lot of bleeding stacks u have to do a long rotation, with a couple of important points ( casting blood is powa, the center of a necro building, for example). it’s mean that, if ur opponent eludes something u are in danger, but u have always to play to save ur life.. spreading conditions can do the difference in a fight..
personally, i guess necro is hard to play.. need a good training and the errors could u do, often, u pay.
some mechanic of necro isn’t optimal to play condi building, but we haven’t too much choices.. if u look for a power building, isn’t the right class.. in the sense that left something to be playable at 100%… next week should be release new patch.. we all togheter hope in significant changments..

anyway, necro is funny to play and leave u a lot of sodisfaction ( expspecially against mesmer and thief)

Necro or Mesmer?

in Necromancer

Posted by: MysticoN.5068

MysticoN.5068

Mesmer might be the king (Fotm) now. But things changes

MysticoN – 80 Necro
Draci – 80 Guardian ( on hold)
-Far Silverpeak-

Necro or Mesmer?

in Necromancer

Sparda.9750

but u cannot deny it… right now obviously

Necro or Mesmer?

in Necromancer

Posted by: MysticoN.5068

MysticoN.5068

I never did deny it, but from experience is that fotm classes changes on a regular basis. To thread starter: we cant decide for you how and what to play. Test em both and find out what you like the most. But be sure to test coreupt boom and epidemic before you decide.

Im comming from a guardian and belived wall of refelction was my favorite skill but epidemic is just so much bether/cooler (MY opinion).

Thank good for players that dont run with condition removers!

MysticoN – 80 Necro
Draci – 80 Guardian ( on hold)
-Far Silverpeak-

Necro or Mesmer?

in Necromancer

Posted by: HiSaZuL.2843

HiSaZuL.2843

Mesmers are very powerful atm.
They are mobile and have high damage which makes them a lot of fun to play.

Meanwhile Necromancers are underpowered, largely due to all the bugs they have.
They are also the least mobile Profession and deal the lowest damage.
This is because they are meant to outlast every other Profession, so dealing high damage and being fast would make them incredibly overpowered.
I wouldn’t call Necros squishy but I definitely don’t think they are hardest to kill either.

You are likely to get many replies telling you to stick with Mesmer.
With that said the Necromancer has more skills that manipulate Conditions than any other Profession.
You are very helpful to Warriors and Guardians in dungeons and are tough enough to also often revive people near the front lines.

Currently there aren’t that many builds that work well.
The ones that do aren’t too shabby, however.

While Necros don’t apply conditions as fast as some other Professions they can spread them to 5 other targets with Epidemic.
While Necros don’t have a ton of Condition removal they have skills that instead take the Conditions off allies and put them on foes, turning their own Conditions against them.

Necromancers often have kind of underrated offensive support role.
All conditions both those of enemies and allies are tools to be used, so Necromancers like to be in group fights.

Something to keep in mind is that the Necromancer will likely get a ton of bug fixes after the patch on 15th of this month.

I kept agreeing with you until you got to praise part…
Plague signet doesn’t do anything… if you still keep it on your toolbar you are doing it wrong. It misses just as much as corrupt boon and the fact its useless in term of stun breaking now doesn’t help at all. Nor does it help in any way/shape or form to your allies… despite what tooltip says it doesn’t remove anything it just copies at random conditions on someone nearby to you… it could be entirely useless ones like weakness or 1 second of burn which wears off instantly. And 90 sec cooldown doesn’t help the case either. Also it does so rather slowly… slow enough that you can never get enough of good conditions to waste a 90sec cd skill on… unless you are getting focused by a zerg… in the zerg(wvw) scenario its still not entirely useless. Its a wvw spec everywhere else there’s a class that does anything you can faster and by a land slide better.
Please don’t make class out to be something its not.
Its playable but its broken beyond repair unless they redo traits and core machanic from scratch which will not happen.
People keep saying 15th is the day!!! We SHALL BE FIXED…
Get off the clouds already. We were told the same line how many times by now? Each time it translated into a nerf. “Necros definetly need the most love right now.” ended up as scepter nerf. Then we had classes that worked perfectly fine get fixes while for 2 months necro didn’t get a single fix even tho our bugs are blatantly obvious to anyone with a pair of eyes that function.
Could it happen? Maybe… All I know is that its broken until proven otherwise. Even “cash” shop items are broken for necromancer only. And you seriously expect some miracles at this point?

(edited by HiSaZuL.2843)

Necro or Mesmer?

in Necromancer

HiSaZuL.2843

mesmer has a good life and an average of armor. good damages, if u specialized on phantoms and because of clones, high survability..

necro has a very good life and armor, but the only build that works is that of condition damages.. the problem is only one: to inflict a lot of bleeding stacks u have to do a long rotation, with a couple of important points ( casting blood is powa, the center of a necro building, for example). it’s mean that, if ur opponent eludes something u are in danger, but u have always to play to save ur life.. spreading conditions can do the difference in a fight..
personally, i guess necro is hard to play.. need a good training and the errors could u do, often, u pay.
some mechanic of necro isn’t optimal to play condi building, but we haven’t too much choices.. if u look for a power building, isn’t the right class.. in the sense that left something to be playable at 100%… next week should be release new patch.. we all togheter hope in significant changments..

anyway, necro is funny to play and leave u a lot of sodisfaction ( expspecially against mesmer and thief)

How is BIP center of condition spec?…10 stacks of might are awesome I agree… But the bleed is worthless for the most parts. It’s long sure… but point me to a class that can’t remove conditions… go ahead do it. Oh and light fields which are made by guardians(multiple), eles (multiple), ranger ( 1 i can think of), even necro all cause condition removal finishers. Ever played ranged class? I would love to see you manage to stack even 5 bleeds on a ranger sitting in light field…That is impossible for necro. For a ranger.. yeah for a moment or two but it will still get cleansed fast.
Its all about damage not duration. Just because BIP says it does 9k damage doesn’t mean its a king super mega awesome skill. Lets just continue example and say BIP does 9k damage over 30 seconds… thats 300 damage per second. From a skill that has cast time and prone to get blocked by air(god forbid you aren’t in up in the face, also need clear weather or the fog may break los)… In the timespan of you casting BIP a thief can pop a backstab for 10k on average (assuming thief knows how to do it properly) so cast time of BIP + 1 second for first pulses of bleed to get first 300 damage vs 10k damage in the same time frame… thats 33 times more damage.

Necro or Mesmer?

in Necromancer

Sparda.9750

@HiSaZuL: i don’t use plague signet since i saw doesn’t work.. i use BiP, ephidemic and corrupt boon, and if i don’t bad remember, are 60 seconds of CD..
i hope the bugs will be fix the first as possible

@HiSaZuL: man, just a word: wanna play a condi mancer without BiP?? u’re crazy.. 4 stacks of bleeding ( 2+2 ) and 10 might ( +12 every dot ). it’s the boost we haven’t. i’m so sorry but it’s the truth..
don’t speack about rangers or guardian.. i can oath you that in 1vs1 necro doesn’t lose automatic.. i spoke about BiP, cause my rotation starts with its
and, if bleeding is worthless means that conditionmancer doesn’t work and then 75% of necros don’t know how play.. my bleeding hurt very well ( BiP, skill 2 scepter, 5 dagger, swap weapon 4 for geomancy, 2 staff, 2 entering DS, 3 2° DS, dodge on his face to cast 2 staff, then repeat again). i agree is a long rotation, but is that!! wanna play a condi mancer in spvp?? wanna roll a condi mancer in wvw?? there are 10 pages of 3d about condi/though/ precision.. but in every build u can see BiP in polp position..
in wvw the condition are surely less harmfull.. cause there are to many ways to heal.
BiP ain’t backstab of course, but is a great boost and a must have for every condi mancer.. like quickness for a melee.. i hope u agree
anywaym if u think people heal their conditions too fast, don’t play a condi build
P.S.: u can cast BiP on a thief using 5 staff and then BiP.
P.S.S.: 12 damages more on every stack for 10 stacks are 120 damages, in 10 seconds are 1200 damages, and 10 stacks is the less u can do

Necro or Mesmer?

in Necromancer

HiSaZuL.2843

Don’t twist my words. I pointed out that BIP is only worth it for 10 stacks of might. Frankly it makes little difference if someone dodges BIP… as in with crit bleed spec for me the only thing I care is how hard bleeds tick for. Duration for me is far from being primary concern. Speed of application + damage is the most efficient way of doing damage with bleeds in pvp scenario where people don’t just sit and wait until 1 BIP kills them.

Now I don’t really care for grammar on internet unless your 1337 talking is making my eyes bleed… but cmon… there is autocheck on these forums. -_- at least a little effort.

Necro or Mesmer?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

TBH I actually despise BiP.

To make the most of it, (and to not actually hurt yourself in the process) you have to blow a condition transfer even then that’s only 4 stacks of bleed and only Plague Signet is instant/reliable. I prefer Corrupt Boon by far, just more useful overall IMO.

Should just make it a super self boon utility that requires HP sacrificing. If different specs and playstyles were actually there, there could be some interesting stuff between lifesteals and health sacrificing in the blood tree.

Necro or Mesmer?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Frizz.6704

Frizz.6704

Sparda, Mesmers are probably the better professions right now, BUT, Necro is hands down the best profession for a condition focused class. Most of your abilities apply AOE conditions (sceptor and staff), and you can completely control conditions. Great survivability. Just don’t go thinking that you are a 1 v 1 class because your not.

Necro or Mesmer?

in Necromancer

Sparda.9750

@Frizz:
man, i know!! i rox very much with my necro.. my first enemy reach easy 15 stacks of bleeding and 4/5 stacks the nearby.. then epidemic and we are all happy…

anyway, the point i targeted was: want to play a condi build?? ok, yu have to complete your rotation, that is long!! No other way!! BiP is that you need to boost damages, and, this, i guess, isn’t a strange concept, is it?
we are talking about " is good, isn’t good, i like more corrupt, i like more plague".. i repeat, BiP isn’t Backstab, but you can’t play without: which utility do you choose to use?? a well?? no thanx; a minion? LOL; spectral one? no more a condi buld..

my build for spvp can be usefull in 1vs1 like in 5vs5: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fQAQNAW7YjMap7tbyb07JAJFPf9kis/O6BxHbMA;ToAgyUwYgRAj1HnPSfWeM8YHA

my mesmer build works better if there are other people who let me the chance to stay at the max range possible.
but now, we are OT. The point ins’t" is better BiP or another skill". From my point of view, at the moment, mesmer is better cause has less bugs and mechanics that working better each others and with whole game.
Necro has a lot of bugs, and, most important IMO, some mechanics don’t work each other: the DS is a little useless if you don’t roll a power build. Liche form isn’t the best choice for a conditionmancer, spectral mancer and freezemancer.. but, for a power build is awesome ( 4k/5k damages with autoattack).
According to me, with a couple of changements, necro could be a excellent class. But we need an other gear, and, on this point, i think we are all agree.