Nemesis 101 ranked game marathon

in Necromancer

Posted by: Nemesis.8593

Nemesis.8593

Hello everyone, it’s been quite a while since i last posted or even visited these forums, heh… how’s everyone ?

I recently decided to give this game another try, i returned mostly for the PvP scene since PvE still doesn’t have anything new to offer, but… i see things are still more or less the same as they were when i left.

So i decided to put together a little something, i should have/wanted to make such a video for a very long time now, even before i left…

Nemesis 101 ranked games marathon – Guild Wars 2 PvP balance 17.04.2015 [status: unresolved]

Took quite a bit of time and effort to make this, so I hope this will help the necromancer community at least a little bit… in more ways then one.

Nemesis Youtube channel - necromancer & mesmer tutorials, PvP and more…

Nemesis live-stream channel - focusing mainly on Guild Wars 2, League of Legends and Dota II.

in Necromancer

Posted by: zapv.8051

zapv.8051

Yea pretty much sums it up. We do have a few mechanics that scale with the number of enemies, but their either woefully underpowered or niche. I personally think necros should be as fast as eles (dark path ground targeted, wurm instant cast, walk teleport at the front end, dark pact movement skill). One of the problems is that against new players necros look like a wall of unkillable HP because of DS. Regardless of reality, that holds the class back a lot imo.

They could also change DS to be an energy bar, and make all 5 skills cost energy. Then, they could give us proper mechanics like every other class has.

Necros don’t have reflects, invulns, vigor, blocks,
extra dodges, real stability, mobility skills,
burst skills, sustain, or good support. GG ANET.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

Good discussion of the inherent weaknesses of Necromancer and a nice review of how ArenaNet has been half-heartedly changing how the profession works.

Personally, I find it hard to believe your suggestion that the endless balance changes are to keep players interested. Rather, I think the problems with the profession are too difficult for the staff to address.

The introduction of Dhuumfire, a trait with no synergy with any other aspect of the profession and its subsequent move to Life Blast, demonstrated how little effort has been spent on balancing not only Necromancer but all professions.

The forums are an invaluable source of information and advice, some good and some not so good, but I do not see it being leveraged.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

Good intentions I wish the devs were more open about balance of necro and classes in general. Also as always kitten DS.

Edit: Great intentions.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

(edited by Sagat.3285)

in Necromancer

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Very good discussion and a thought provoking watch.

I’ll have to send people here the next time someone says Necromancer is OP, which shockingly, people still say.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in Necromancer

Posted by: Roe.3679

Roe.3679

Welcome back nemesis. People still ask about your guides sometimes.

I’ll edit this post after I watch the video.

in Necromancer

Posted by: flow.6043

flow.6043

I laughed during the part about the Flesh Golem, also I cried because it’s true, that lazy bum is collecting unemployent.

As for the rest, nothing of it was news, not to the players and I’m sure by now not even to anet.
Also, there were a lot of false/incomplete facts about the history of buffs and nerfs, Death Shroud and life force regeneration. For example Vital Persistance wasn’t mentioned, Weakening Shroud being nerfed when the removal of the icd was actually a buff overall, and we actually do have lf generators that scale with multiple opponents: Locust Swarm, Well of Corruption and Spectral Wall. For regular healing the freshly buffed but still not viable Signet of the Locust. And of course we have several aoe skills that inflict fear, weakness, chilled or blindness, so to some extent those are too defensive mechanics that scale with multiple opponents.
And DS being weaker now than it was at release is completely wrong. Life force regen was buffed across the board, so were several traits that interact with DS, the UI has seen several very useful improvments over time, almost 2 years ago we got that 50% damage reduction bug so our pool was effectively doubled, we got Tainted Shackles, and we can now rez and stomp in DS. The Shroud back at release was nothing compared to what is is now.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Jelzouki.4128

Jelzouki.4128

AND ON THE SEVENTH DAY GOD SAID BALANCE THE NECROMANCER,

……AND ARENA NET SAID NO.

http://strawpoll.me/3648686/r Queue for PvP from any map. Vote Here. Zojoel [ASAP Zerg]

in Necromancer

Jelzouki.4128

I just sent this video in a PM to like 5 arena net employees with the description: pass this on to your employees please.

I KNOW IT’S DUMB BUT IM AT A BREAKING POINT. THIS CLASS HAS SO MUCH POTENTIAL TO BE BETTER.

/caps

http://strawpoll.me/3648686/r Queue for PvP from any map. Vote Here. Zojoel [ASAP Zerg]

in Necromancer

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

[…] Weakening Shroud being nerfed when the removal of the icd was actually a buff overall, and we actually do have lf generators that scale with multiple opponents: Locust Swarm, Well of Corruption and Spectral Wall. […]

I wouldnt call the change to weakening shroud an actual buff. For pvp the old effect with icd was certainly better. Though i can see that the removel of the icd had some benefits…

Also isn’t the Well of corruption thing more a bug then an actual intended lf generator?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Also isn’t the Well of corruption thing more a bug then an actual intended lf generator?

Yes.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in Necromancer

Sagat.3285

One thing I realized we experience the same is the tryouts of variations in builds especially on condi, after every match I felt terrible of the results and the experience I would just stare at my spec and possible changes but it would still end up the same. I tried to makeshift a proper defense but I would sacrifice way too much damage and would end as terrible version on bunker guard. I do disagree on balance not being a factor in income, good balance attracts new players and keep existing ones playing, it reduces time of players flaming you on forums that could be used playing/creating income.

I don’t care how beautiful HoT is if classes are broken and same mistakes were made I won’t buy it and will continue my casual attitude here waiting for a real main mmo in vulgar terms GW2 is trash surrounded by crap, it’s not a fail it has great potential but I have experienced way better.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

(edited by Sagat.3285)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

Yes.

I would note that ANet definitely (maybe) knows about it, so at this point I’d consider it a “feature” until it makes its way to a patch note. It wouldn’t be the first time a bug because a feature, although maybe one of the rare times that it has benefited us.

I wouldnt call the change to weakening shroud an actual buff. For pvp the old effect with icd was certainly better. Though i can see that the removel of the icd had some benefits…

I would say the ICD removal itself was a buff, but the changes that accompanied it are overall a nerf.

As for the DS change, I would say it was overall a buff. It was changed to overflow, but the 50% reduction is a huge addition to our EHP.

I’ll watch the video when I get a chance. Welcome back though Nemesis, hopefully HoT will fix some problems.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Anchoku.8142

Sagat, Necromancer is actually not that good at condition damage compared to some other classes. Scepter’s bleeds represent the highest condition damage dps. Terror may have a lot of condition damage when active but its tiny up-time means it is not much of a real contributor. Necro is better at managing conditions than applying damaging ones; corrupting boons, transferring, consuming, or flipping conditions, etc.

Other professions can keep opponents bleeding, burning, or confused a without being forced into one low-direct damage weapon on main hand.

in Necromancer

Sagat.3285

Sagat, Necromancer is actually not that good at condition damage compared to some other classes. Scepter’s bleeds represent the highest condition damage dps. Terror may have a lot of condition damage when active but its tiny up-time means it is not much of a real contributor. Necro is better at managing conditions than applying damaging ones; corrupting boons, transferring, consuming, or flipping conditions, etc.

Other professions can keep opponents bleeding, burning, or confused a without being forced into one low-direct damage weapon on main hand.

I realized that long ago I used to manage fights easier before I feIt more valuable, I still hold a grudge against them by making AoE boon generation and cleansing so easy and it’s hate so weak while conditions are reverse especially for necro and mesmer, resistance was not needed a version of it for boon was, they could have simply created a special effect for revs but nah let’s make it AoE boon just wow. I’m not still playing to wait for HoT I just found no other “mmo” worth my time , it’s either worse or a shell of their former selves. The manipulation was helpful and efficient to use but it fell off but of course we have rev to look up to for that necromancer closest distinct role will be taking with no regrets.

As always kitten DS.

The Dhuumfire thread

(edited by Sagat.3285)

in Necromancer

Posted by: NeXeD.3042

NeXeD.3042

Terror is burst.

Attention Moderators I am not
S P E E D Starr #0 Necro NA or
I Am NeXeD awful d/D ele NA

in Necromancer

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Hey, welcome back Nemesis!

Yeah, it feels like Necromancer has many of things you mentioned. I wouldn’t even blame the Balance Team for not “fixing” the Necro. It’s, as you said, design issue and has to do with core idea behind the profession.

“Fixing” the Necromancer will require something bigger than a patch…like expansion. We can just hope they have both balls and ideas to change this profession.

Necromancer is extremaly archaic in many design aspects. “Tanking” the damage, gathering resource, rather slow paced combat, but with couple really interesting utilities etc. on top of it.

Example is Power Necromancer. I’d really love to play Power Necromancer with more in-depth mechanics, feeling that I won because I really outplayed my target. But, in reality, Power Necro (un)design is so based on damage procs and some basic spamming when trying to survive. If you don’t take those procs or want something more imaginative….You won’t do any good.

Our current PvP meta role is either trying to play to the effectiveness of one-handed Medi Guard/Celestial player as Condi or being the “attrition” profession which role is to go into teamfight, burst as much with as many cooldowns and procs possible and hope for the best before dying.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

(edited by Rym.1469)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Aktium.9506

Aktium.9506

Terror is burst.

Them 2.5k condi tick bursts.

in Necromancer

Jelzouki.4128

Terror is burst.

terror doesnt tick for 2.5k

in Necromancer

Nemesis.8593

I laughed during the part about the Flesh Golem, also I cried because it’s true, that lazy bum is collecting unemployent.

As for the rest, nothing of it was news, not to the players and I’m sure by now not even to anet.
Also, there were a lot of false/incomplete facts about the history of buffs and nerfs, Death Shroud and life force regeneration. For example Vital Persistance wasn’t mentioned, Weakening Shroud being nerfed when the removal of the icd was actually a buff overall, and we actually do have lf generators that scale with multiple opponents: Locust Swarm, Well of Corruption and Spectral Wall. For regular healing the freshly buffed but still not viable Signet of the Locust. And of course we have several aoe skills that inflict fear, weakness, chilled or blindness, so to some extent those are too defensive mechanics that scale with multiple opponents.
And DS being weaker now than it was at release is completely wrong. Life force regen was buffed across the board, so were several traits that interact with DS, the UI has seen several very useful improvements over time, almost 2 years ago we got that 50% damage reduction bug so our pool was effectively doubled, we got Tainted Shackles, and we can now rez and stomp in DS. The Shroud back at release was nothing compared to what is is now.

Vital Persistance doesn’t give you much of an edge in PvP, it makes you less panicky with your DS but that is about it… it’s not like you get to hit more with a zerk glass cannon. Who’s honestly going to just sit there and let a glass cannon necro spam life blast ?

Weakening Shroud ICD as far as i remember was 15 sec, and the DS mechanic has 10 sec cd, maybe i remember it wrong… but it was definitely not a buff. Before the NERF every single necro used Weakening Shroud, after… no one uses it… why is that ?

Locust Swarm and Spectral Wall does not compensate for the lack of dissangage and does not make you an attrition class = afflictioner warlock WoW… if they did every single necro would be using them in all builds, you have to be mad not to…

As a defense mechanism, in my opinion DS is weaker, since we use to be able to use it as an Aegis… Enter DS get the aegis effect – lose DS, get a bit of life force – enter DS again. Not only did they remove the DS aegis effect but they also gave it a CD so even if we get life force we can’t get back in DS again…
As for the so called “bug”… it’s a common practice to say “bug” when you want to buff something that inexperienced people may not agree with.

Yeah… life force generation IS stronger… for 1v1s… which again doesn’t really solve the main issue.
I did however forgot to talk about the fact you can now res and stomp in DS, ma bad…

But… i also didn’t talk about how the Dhuumfire “buff” crushed our build variety, because it limits all our damage options into one traitline. Think about how low are damage is now if we don’t go for Dhuumfire, since it’s lower even WITH Dhuumfire.

I agree on the fact that the necromancer should have never been a condition burster, more of an attrition point-pressure… we just lack the attrition part from condition build, it’s actually so bad now that people are going Leroy Jenkings glass cannon…
My question is… why would you play a necromancer glass cannon in PvP, when you can play any other class as a glass cannon and do the same damage if not more but also have… “dissangage” ?

I have seen noobs faceroll 3 buttons and do really well in a team fight… and really experienced necromancers get demolished in the same team fights…
There is a reason why in 900+ players there were only 58 necromancer players… there is a reason necromancer has the least builds voted viable on metabattle…

GW2 PvP system = focus fire burst while target is CCed + spam invulnerability effects
IF target = dead /write noob, EZ
IF target = alive /dissangage

People still don’t get that if you lose to a necromancer in 1v1, with all your evades and blocks and mist forms… doesn’t mean that necromancer fairs the same in a focus fire scenario. Yet all your evades and mist forms and distortion effects still do…
If the Death Shroud which doesn’t scale up or down, was balanced around 5v5s… intended to take the punishment of 4-5 players… NO ONE… WOULD EVER… kill a necromancer in 1v1. #fact

Nemesis live-stream channel - focusing mainly on Guild Wars 2, League of Legends and Dota II.

in Necromancer

Aktium.9506

Terror is burst.

I was referring to what Terror + Bleeds + Poison will usually tick for all together. Which rarely exceeds the stated amount. Hardly a burst.

in Necromancer

Nemesis.8593

Terror is burst.

I was referring to what Terror + Bleeds + Poison will usually tick for all together. Which rarely exceeds the stated amount. Hardly a burst.

I already did the math for best case scenario of “the condi burst” in my video… it’s right next to the 13k backstab hit i got from a thief

in Necromancer

Aktium.9506

best case scenario

Keyword. I’m talking average.

in Necromancer

flow.6043

Vital Persistance doesn’t give you much of an edge in PvP

I just mentioned it in context of buffs to DS and lf regen because you didn’t in the video. Vital Persistance used to be 3% natural degen, now it’s 2%.

Weakening Shroud ICD as far as i remember was 15 sec, and the DS mechanic has 10 sec cd, maybe i remember it wrong… but it was definitely not a buff. Before the NERF every single necro used Weakening Shroud, after… no one uses it… why is that ?

A lot of people use it, I’m one of them.
Imo it’s the best adept trait in Curses for both power and condi builds.
The weakness duration could be 3 sec instead of 2 sec, but still, if I had the choice to keep this or go back to the old Weakening Shroud I’d keep the one with the lower cd.

Locust Swarm and Spectral Wall does not compensate for the lack of dissangage and does not make you an attrition class

I never said those skills make us an attrition class. In the video you say that we have no skills that scale with increasing numbers of opponents which simply is not true.

Yeah… life force generation IS stronger… for 1v1s…

Not true. Like I said, all lf regen was buffed, that includes Locust Swarm, Necrotic Grasp and the addition of WoC. They all regen life force per hit for up to 5 targets.
If you have an active Locust Swarm and then drop Well of Corruption on a point with 5 targets you will generate 90% life force in 5 seconds, 99% with Gluttony.
I know it doesn’t scale like blocks or invulnerability but it’s still not bad at all.

People still don’t get that if you lose to a necromancer in 1v1, with all your evades and blocks and mist forms… doesn’t mean that necromancer fairs the same in a focus fire scenario.

Everyone gets it since 2012.
The “target necro first” mentality has never changed. Also, necros aren’t the 1v1 machines they used to be a long time ago. Today there are a lot of builds on all other classes that makes a duel with them an uphill battle for the necro.

in Necromancer

Nemesis.8593

Vital Persistance doesn’t give you much of an edge in PvP

I just mentioned it in context of buffs to DS and lf regen because you didn’t in the video. Vital Persistance used to be 3% natural degen, now it’s 2%.

A lot of people use it, I’m one of them.
Imo it’s the best adept trait in Curses for both power and condi builds.
The weakness duration could be 3 sec instead of 2 sec, but still, if I had the choice to keep this or go back to the old Weakening Shroud I’d keep the one with the lower cd.

Locust Swarm and Spectral Wall does not compensate for the lack of dissangage and does not make you an attrition class

I never said those skills make us an attrition class. In the video you say that we have no skills that scale with increasing numbers of opponents which simply is not true.

Yeah… life force generation IS stronger… for 1v1s…

Not true. Like I said, all lf regen was buffed, that includes Locust Swarm, Necrotic Grasp and the addition of WoC. They all regen life force per hit for up to 5 targets.
If you have an active Locust Swarm and then drop Well of Corruption on a point with 5 targets you will generate 90% life force in 5 seconds, 99% with Gluttony.
I know it doesn’t scale like blocks or invulnerability but it’s still not bad at all.

People still don’t get that if you lose to a necromancer in 1v1, with all your evades and blocks and mist forms… doesn’t mean that necromancer fairs the same in a focus fire scenario.

Everyone gets it since 2012.
The “target necro first” mentality has never changed. Also, necros aren’t the 1v1 machines they used to be a long time ago. Today there are a lot of builds on all other classes that makes a duel with them an uphill battle for the necro.

Judging by the amount of times i got called “OP noob / kittening scrub OP necro” Not many people get it…

When i said scaling defense i was referring to something meaningful… which is also not a bug that may be fixed by the time i finish editing my video…

But yeah you will generate that life force… in 5 seconds…
Once every 40 seconds, if you have a warhorn, if you went in with 0 life force so you can actually store it, if people stay in it and don’t… idk perma evade @ that thief which crushed me in 1v1s…

More things that look good on paper, but in reality… not so much… Doesn’t it seem out of place to you that the much needed scaling defense (to compensate for the lack of mobility) is so conditioned to this one specific situation ?

(edited by Nemesis.8593)

in Necromancer

Posted by: akaCryptic.2389

akaCryptic.2389

Already sent you an ingame mail, but thanks again Nemesis for the detailed vid. Upping this so devs will take a look at it hopefully. Although we dont have the scientific evidence that they look here, there are some things like FitG change, that suggest so. :P

in Necromancer

flow.6043

Judging by the amount of times i got called “OP noob / kittening scrub OP necro” Not many people get it…

Honestly, in 2.5 years I’ve heard this less than 5 times. I mean, some people always rage about conditions op or whatever, and in PvP you get called PvE-scrub 100 times a day, but I’ve very rarely heard an insult like being a noob who is carried by the class.

But yeah you will generate that life force… in 5 seconds…
Once every 40 seconds, if you have a warhorn, if you went in with 0 life force so you can actually store it, if people stay in it and don’t… idk perma evade @ that thief which crushed me in 1v1s…

The well has a 40 sec cd, on the other hand Locust Swarm combined with Banshee’s Wail can reach more than 60% uptime. And combining those two skills for an on-point lf regen burst will usually mean that you’re anticipating incoming damage from several sources. So you’re probably going to spend those 5 sec in DS anyway, which means that you’re not overcharging your lf pool even if you start out with more than zero.
If you encounter a mobile class like an s/d thief in 1v1 then of course it won’t generate that much life force. Then again, there are classes like turret engis, mesmers or spirit rangers that will make those skills realize most of their potential just by themselves. That and using them to generate a lot of life force in team fights is not at all an outlier scenario.

in Necromancer

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Terror is burst.

On that note, in WvW with all stacks and buffs, I can reach an absolute maximum of 2.420 condition damage which makes my Terror tick for 1,410 with at least one other condition on my target.

in Necromancer

Rym.1469

best case scenario

Keyword. I’m talking average.

[That’s aside from the context, Quoted, but you brought me one more point]

Problem is, ArenaNet calculates balance for best possible outcome. Look at Parasitic Contagion.

Nothing about Necromancer is designed for “average scenario”. Look at how many traits are there lacking, when with a little bit they could he good. Weakning Shroud, Shrouded Removal, Deathly Invigoration. All afflicted with balance disease “best possible scenario”, in this case, Near to Death.

Or look at Ranger’s Traps.

That’s usually very heavy investment.

(edited by Rym.1469)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kraljevo.2801

Kraljevo.2801

Glad to see you are back, Nemesis.

in Necromancer

Nemesis.8593

Terror is burst.

On that note, in WvW with all stacks and buffs, I can reach an absolute maximum of 2.420 condition damage which makes my Terror tick for 1,410 with at least one other condition on my target.

Yeah… WvW… http://i.imgur.com/2BDhrk1.jpg

“Oh no… terror damage is so stronk !” Hahaha…

(edited by Nemesis.8593)

in Necromancer

Posted by: SPESHAL.9106

SPESHAL.9106

No doubt that necros are in bad shape and not favorable for high end pvp, but couple of minor things you should have noticed in 101 games:

1. You mentioned dagger 1 didn’t get buffed, but it actually did get a cleave. It’s actually very helpful in team fights. Plus, you will often use dagger 1 to build LF on a down body, so the extra cleave is nice to take out the ranger pet or any squishy that may come by to help rez.

2. Spectral Walk is another escape and teleport…not just the worm. It doesn’t compare to other class options, but it’s probably more reliable than the worm, especially if around a z-axis that you can leverage to your advantage.

3. I didn’t see you running much power or spectral builds. Spectral attunement buff made LF building quite good and gives you much more survivability because you have more DS more often. Also, the extended period on spectral wall can be extremely powerful in certain scenarios (i.e escape or cutoff people to a node/down body/etc).

4. Wells are very helpful in team fights as well as Lich. Condi necros just don’t have enough AOE pressure, so it’s no surprise you found them lacking in team pvp…but fine in duels.

5. You didn’t focus enough on one of the main weaknesses of Necros….long cast times. You can’t have a class that is so susceptible to cc and designed to be a damage sponge, but ALSO give them long cast times on meaningful abilities. Focus cast times need serious reduction…Corrupt boon needs to be virtually instant…Worm needs to be near instant…dagger 5 is way too long…all the healing skills are too long for a class that can’t even heal in DS…the list goes on.

6. Another big weakness you should have spent more time on is the lack of LF at the start of matches. This makes anywhere from 30-70% of our traits useless at the start of the match, as well kitten other skills that include our big damage and survivability tools…not to mention…a necro without LF (or with DS on cooldown) is the squishiest MMO class ever created.

All-in-all though, it was a great job of outlining the issues. Even with the things I pointed out above, it doesn’t change your overall conclusions, but it does provide a more complete picture that doesn’t seem as biased to 1 specific build.

in Necromancer

Nemesis.8593

No doubt that necros are in bad shape and not favorable for high end pvp, but couple of minor things you should have noticed in 101 games:

1. You mentioned dagger 1 didn’t get buffed, but it actually did get a cleave. It’s actually very helpful in team fights. Plus, you will often use dagger 1 to build LF on a down body, so the extra cleave is nice to take out the ranger pet or any squishy that may come by to help rez.

2. Spectral Walk is another escape and teleport…not just the worm. It doesn’t compare to other class options, but it’s probably more reliable than the worm, especially if around a z-axis that you can leverage to your advantage.

3. I didn’t see you running much power or spectral builds. Spectral attunement buff made LF building quite good and gives you much more survivability because you have more DS more often. Also, the extended period on spectral wall can be extremely powerful in certain scenarios (i.e escape or cutoff people to a node/down body/etc).

4. Wells are very helpful in team fights as well as Lich. Condi necros just don’t have enough AOE pressure, so it’s no surprise you found them lacking in team pvp…but fine in duels.

5. You didn’t focus enough on one of the main weaknesses of Necros….long cast times. You can’t have a class that is so susceptible to cc and designed to be a damage sponge, but ALSO give them long cast times on meaningful abilities. Focus cast times need serious reduction…Corrupt boon needs to be virtually instant…Worm needs to be near instant…dagger 5 is way too long…all the healing skills are too long for a class that can’t even heal in DS…the list goes on.

6. Another big weakness you should have spent more time on is the lack of LF at the start of matches. This makes anywhere from 30-70% of our traits useless at the start of the match, as well kitten other skills that include our big damage and survivability tools…not to mention…a necro without LF (or with DS on cooldown) is the squishiest MMO class ever created.

All-in-all though, it was a great job of outlining the issues. Even with the things I pointed out above, it doesn’t change your overall conclusions, but it does provide a more complete picture that doesn’t seem as biased to 1 specific build.

1. I was thinking of actual damage value increase… but you know you are kind of right, it is… something… even though going glass cannon trying to slice a group of people is a suicide sentence…

2. I was making a point that the same “escape” tools are also used to traverse the map at a faster rate then what swiftness provides, and if you are stuck in combat even faster… Spectral Walk is just swiftness as far as mobility is concerned… i can’t use it to win a race to a team fight vs any other class… so that’s why i didn’t count it.

3. The meta power builds are a death sentence… you have 70% the damage of any other glass cannon and no disengage…

4. Only noobs stay in wells… @blinking targets in my video that i couldn’t even damage with scepter auto-attacks which are 1/2 sec cast time.

5. I did mention this aspect, when i showcased in slow motion how easy it is to dodge most necro high CD skills, but i didn’t remained on that fact for too long since i was trying to provide clear bigger picture.
Look what happens when i team fight… vs look what happens when any other class team fights… & 1v1s don’t happen often… & mobility matters for reinforcing locations or fights.

6. It was in the original plan to talk about it, but i cut it out since i had no more room… was trying to keep the video under 30 minutes and still failed… You are 100% correct on this regard.

As for being biased… i did try out multiple variations of condition builds which are the most highly upvoted everywhere.
Every single power necro i met did nothing in a team fight… even if i didn’t personally made sure he dies instantly… @in my video you can notice a few Lich Formed enemies, that didn’t even hit my team once.

(edited by Nemesis.8593)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Ravezaar.4951

Ravezaar.4951

In Duels and sPvP 1v1 situation I get this alot aswell, so i agree totally. Just that the fact they dont understand how DS scales kittenes me off, its NOT good 1vX and non-Necs dosent seem to understand that. It just dosent compensate for the lack of disengage, Mobility and the fact we lack reflect/block.

Underjordens Furste 80 Necro Piken-server
Servant of Dhuum

in Necromancer

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Terror is burst.

Yeah… WvW… http://i.imgur.com/2BDhrk1.jpg

“Oh no… terror damage is so stronk !” Hahaha…

Uplevels don’t count.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Nay of the Ether.8913

Nay of the Ether.8913

Go watch the devs vs streamers stronghold fight and you’ll get a kick out of the only necro on the map getting melted everytime they respawn. I was not surprised in the least, especially when they seemed to make it a point to not focus on him with the camera when he was getting shredded

http://almunns.wix.com/elitedeathsociety
~Surrender fiend and you will get an easy death
~I could promise you the same…but it would be a lie…

in Necromancer

Posted by: NeXeD.3042

NeXeD.3042

1. I was thinking of actual damage value increase… but you know you are kind of right, it is… something… even though going glass cannon trying to slice a group of people is a suicide sentence…

2. I was making a point that the same “escape” tools are also used to traverse the map at a faster rate then what swiftness provides, and if you are stuck in combat even faster… Spectral Walk is just swiftness as far as mobility is concerned… i can’t use it to win a race to a team fight vs any other class… so that’s why i didn’t count it.

3. The meta power builds are a death sentence… you have 70% the damage of any other glass cannon and no disengage…

4. Only noobs stay in wells… @blinking targets in my video that i couldn’t even damage with scepter auto-attacks which are 1/2 sec cast time.

5. I did mention this aspect, when i showcased in slow motion how easy it is to dodge most necro high CD skills, but i didn’t remained on that fact for too long since i was trying to provide clear bigger picture.
Look what happens when i team fight… vs look what happens when any other class team fights… & 1v1s don’t happen often… & mobility matters for reinforcing locations or fights.

6. It was in the original plan to talk about it, but i cut it out since i had no more room… was trying to keep the video under 30 minutes and still failed… You are 100% correct on this regard.

As for being biased… i did try out multiple variations of condition builds which are the most highly upvoted everywhere.
Every single power necro i met did nothing in a team fight… even if i didn’t personally made sure he dies instantly… @in my video you can notice a few Lich Formed enemies, that didn’t even hit my team once.

To be honest atm you have a better chance at being useful on a power build, I even find the survivability better since people tend to panic a little. even if you die you force people to stomp you or get melted.

Attention Moderators I am not
S P E E D Starr #0 Necro NA or
I Am NeXeD awful d/D ele NA

in Necromancer

Sagat.3285

Go watch the devs vs streamers stronghold fight and you’ll get a kick out of the only necro on the map getting melted everytime they respawn. I was not surprised in the least, especially when they seemed to make it a point to not focus on him with the camera when he was getting shredded

They showed him running, that sight was very disturbing for me it looked like they were laughing at him thinking :“Did this fool really bring a necro?”, I was kind of enjoying the video until that specific moment. I don’t watch tournaments unless they have a necro on one team just to see the commenting when he is getting tossed around. They can burn their dream of esports.

The Dhuumfire thread

in Necromancer

Anchoku.8142

The cleave works far better for me in PvE. I just do not understand why dagger got the PvE buff.

in Necromancer

Posted by: SPESHAL.9106

SPESHAL.9106

I think you need to rethink the way you play after being away 8 months. Other classes changed too.

For example, you probably didn’t have to worry about turret engies 8 months ago, but they are plentiful and effective node protectors now. Thus, when you claim wells are useless, you really don’t know what you’re talking about.

Even if good players get out of wells, you are effectively cc’ing them. They have to move/dodge instead of clicking a damage or cc skill on you. Two wells cover a lot of ground that they need to get out of. You can make them blow dodges…which allows them to be hit more reliably after.

Alternatively, you can hit them with focus 5 or dagger 3 and keep them in the wells for lots of damage. Don’t forget dropping wells on a down bodies that can’t move for mass carnage and boon ripping of rezzers.

Same goes for spectral walk.

I agree it’s not a race winner against certain other abilities, but it’s also not a one trick pony either. You can use it to juke, leverage a z-axis, build LF, or do some clutch play. It gives almost perma swiftness with spectral attunement builds, so you can’t leave it out of the movement/escape discussion…especially since it’s much better than the worm in most situations.

Just one example…especially with spectral attunement…you can click it halfway to picking up the repair treb kit, and cover a lot of ground back with the port. It’s not as fast as a mesmer with portal, but it’s useful. You just need to try different things.

That terrormancer build won’t cut it anymore. It’s pretty bad now and that’s probably what was influencing your thoughts more than anything.

Again, you’re overall premise is correct. There is no sweet spot with Necros right now in PvP. Any other class can do your job better.

However, you DEFINITELY can’t go into PvP with only 18k health playing a condi necro and expect to help your team much at all.

If you don’t want to learn a different profession, you have to make do with certain Necro niches and think out of the box to use things that make you less a liability and somewhat helpful.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

The cleave works far better for me in PvE. I just do not understand why dagger got the PvE buff.

Um, because in PvE melee is all that matters and dagger is the only melee weapon, that still cleaves 1 target less than all other weapons that still outdamage the necro dagger?

in Necromancer

Nemesis.8593

I think you need to rethink the way you play after being away 8 months. Other classes changed too.

For example, you probably didn’t have to worry about turret engies 8 months ago, but they are plentiful and effective node protectors now. Thus, when you claim wells are useless, you really don’t know what you’re talking about.

Even if good players get out of wells, you are effectively cc’ing them. They have to move/dodge instead of clicking a damage or cc skill on you. Two wells cover a lot of ground that they need to get out of. You can make them blow dodges…which allows them to be hit more reliably after.

Alternatively, you can hit them with focus 5 or dagger 3 and keep them in the wells for lots of damage. Don’t forget dropping wells on a down bodies that can’t move for mass carnage and boon ripping of rezzers.

Same goes for spectral walk.

I agree it’s not a race winner against certain other abilities, but it’s also not a one trick pony either. You can use it to juke, leverage a z-axis, build LF, or do some clutch play. It gives almost perma swiftness with spectral attunement builds, so you can’t leave it out of the movement/escape discussion…especially since it’s much better than the worm in most situations.

Just one example…especially with spectral attunement…you can click it halfway to picking up the repair treb kit, and cover a lot of ground back with the port. It’s not as fast as a mesmer with portal, but it’s useful. You just need to try different things.

That terrormancer build won’t cut it anymore. It’s pretty bad now and that’s probably what was influencing your thoughts more than anything.

Again, you’re overall premise is correct. There is no sweet spot with Necros right now in PvP. Any other class can do your job better.

However, you DEFINITELY can’t go into PvP with only 18k health playing a condi necro and expect to help your team much at all.

If you don’t want to learn a different profession, you have to make do with certain Necro niches and think out of the box to use things that make you less a liability and somewhat helpful.

Well… in your opinion i am wrong to play a condition build, and so are the majority of people on metabattle.com.

In my opinion, and i’ve had this for over 10 years… every time i hear someone saying “you can this, you can that” as if your opponent is just going to stand there and let you do all of that, i immediately lose interest…

PS: thieves go into PvP with a hell of a lot less HP and armor and they help the team 2-3x more… due to their insane disengage and unmatched mobility they literally have the option to ONLY engage in a fight when the odds are severely in their favor aka “outnumbering”…

That is why a thief can carry… going to learn me some thief…

in Necromancer

Posted by: GoogleBrandon.5073

GoogleBrandon.5073

I do want to say though, only good thieves can… Bad thieves are literally able to make the game a 6v4, like the example I gave here

I have been trying it myself, but I am not that capable as most others… Veteran Thieves will eat you alive, as they notice the inexperience immediately

Though the best professions/builds to “carry” as are pretty much everything other than Ranger, Mesmer and indeed Necro… The amount of input needed to get a decent result as any of those is sickening compared to most other builds/professions

Guild channel with PvP uploads
Lost? Confused? [TCS] – A guild for every state of body and mind

in Necromancer

Nemesis.8593

I do want to say though, only good thieves can… Bad thieves are literally able to make the game a 6v4, like the example I gave here

I have been trying it myself, but I am not that capable as most others… Veteran Thieves will eat you alive, as they notice the inexperience immediately

Though the best professions/builds to “carry” as are pretty much everything other than Ranger, Mesmer and indeed Necro… The amount of input needed to get a decent result as any of those is sickening compared to most other builds/professions

Same with any class… you have to learn it, what i was always interested in is max potential once you learn it. Like i said in my video… why would you bother mastering a necromancer, when you can spend that time mastering something far more rewarding ?

in Necromancer

Posted by: DelightArt.9604

DelightArt.9604

(first im not a native english speaker, so sry for bad english )

I also think Anet should spend more love for necro, but I also agree with SPESHAL.9106.
I rly love to play Terrormancer, and that Build I use is fine it was, but totally different from urs Nemesis. Maybe thats the key, just try some other Traits, Utillitys and Weapons. I saw in ur video, u have some trouble with stomping ppl. I always safestomp, cause I get Stability from the Foot in Grave-Trait to do so or use Plague. Its such amazing, cause its also a stunbreak now. I never lack stunbreakers before that change, for me its now only a nice to have, but not rly necessary.
I also have enough mobilty with using Warhorn instead of Offhanddagger (I never liked Offhanddagger by the way) and Spectralwalk. I never need fleshwurm. Maybe my experience is this way, cause I don´t play on highlvl. I know I´m not the best and so I don´t get the best opponents. Maybe thats the only thing, why that works pretty good for me. ^^"
What I try to say is, just play with Traits and so on. If ur Build doesn´t work fine now, change a bit.

in Necromancer

Sagat.3285

I also think Anet should spend more love for necro, but I also agree with SPESHAL.9106.
I rly love to play Terrormancer, and that Build I use is fine it was, but totally different from urs Nemesis. Maybe thats the key, just try some other Traits, Utillitys and Weapons. I saw in ur video, u have some trouble with stomping ppl. I always safestomp, cause I get Stability from the Foot in Grave-Trait to do so or use Plague. Its such amazing, cause its also a stunbreak now. I never lack stunbreakers before that change, for me its now only a nice to have, but not rly necessary.
I also have enough mobilty with using Warhorn instead of Offhanddagger (I never liked Offhanddagger by the way) and Spectralwalk. I never need fleshwurm. Maybe my experience is this way, cause I don´t play on highlvl. I know I´m not the best and so I don´t get the best opponents. Maybe thats the only thing, why that works pretty good for me. ^^"
What I try to say is, just play with Traits and so on. If ur Build doesn´t work fine now, change a bit.

He did say he tried variations I do the same after every match at one point I went to blow off some steam in PvE. Issue with terromancer is that most of the damage comes from converting boons and transferring conditions but they allowed AoE cleansing and boons to get out of control without buffing boon hate add that the necro’s fragile state they kittened up.

The only reason I consider power better is that you can “tank” longer, it has nothing to do with zerker just stack more HP they can take down buys more time.

The Dhuumfire thread

in Necromancer

Posted by: DelightArt.9604

DelightArt.9604

He did say he tried variations I do the same after every match at one point I went to blow off some steam in PvE. Issue with terromancer is that most of the damage comes from converting boons and transferring conditions but they allowed AoE cleansing and boons to get out of control without buffing boon hate add that the necro’s fragile state they kittened up.

The only reason I consider power better is that you can “tank” longer, it has nothing to do with zerker just stack more HP they can take down buys more time.

Actually I have no problems with that AoE cleansing. Because of that I invest in more condidmg, nothing in Duration. I have also only Corrupt Boon to convert (I use that mostly to prevent stomp an ally or to rip his defense he popped to prevent his dead; not for dmg itself) and Staff 4 for transfer. So I would say, thats rly not my dmg-ressource. I just apply condi after condi, even if they remove it then, I apply new.
But I also say, I´m not playing at a high level, so maybe I just don´t have ur problems now. ^^"

(the Build I use, if u like to look over)

(edited by DelightArt.9604)

in Necromancer

Sagat.3285

Actually I have no problems with that AoE cleansing. Because of that I invest in more condidmg, nothing in Duration. I have also only Corrupt Boon to convert (I use that mostly to prevent stomp an ally or to rip his defese he popped to prevent his dead; not for dmg itself) and Staff 4 for transfer. So I would say, thats rly not my dmg-ressource. I just apply condi after condi, even if they remove it then, I apply new.
But I also say, I´m not playing at a high level, so maybe I just don´t have ur problems now. ^^"

Pretty much so I started doing the same a while ago, gave up on spite when full curses and condition burst rather than sustained. It didn’t make much off difference everyone knows how easy necro is to focus and how weak boon hate is, at this point it feels like they knew about it and want it to stay like that, they never cared.

The Dhuumfire thread

in Necromancer

Rym.1469

Problems with AoE cleansing start when shoutbow joins the fight along D/D ele. And, as usual, you’re the main focus.

We can’t just throw some AoE at our back, score bazillion condition procs with one grenade and proceed with that counterpressure. To counterpressure, we have to do way more.

in Necromancer

Posted by: NecroSummonsMors.7816

NecroSummonsMors.7816

Great work Nemesis as you’ve always done. =)
I hope one day ArenaNet will try just for a sec to work properly on balancing this class because as we can all see their work in the last two years has a pretty bad result …
but hey who cares they’ve just put a new finisher and new hair styles in the gem store and revenant it’s the new necro… T_T