Pet focused necro viable for pve/dungeons?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Nyro.7359

Nyro.7359

Is a Pet focused necromancer viable for PvE and dungeon use?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

Pets are handicapped quite a bit because of pathing issues and AoE wipes. They can be used, especially when traited properly, but they will die, kitten , and not dodge.

I do not use minions while in a dungeon because they are less reliable but some others do. A power Necro with minions probably has the highest dps of all Necro builds.

in Necromancer

Nyro.7359

Have you seen any cookie cutter designs that i might use as a guide for such a build?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Strill.2591

Strill.2591

PVE dungeons have enemies tossing out 10k damage AoEs, which pets just get murdered by.

in Necromancer

Nyro.7359

PVE dungeons have enemies tossing out 10k damage AoEs, which pets just get murdered by.

This saddens me, the only reason I rolled necro was to play this type of build. But I do want to do dungeons and stuff so I guess i need to go back to the drawing board.

in Necromancer

Posted by: rager.4963

rager.4963

Reason I quit necromancer.

I have always played them. This game has THE WORSE version of necro I have ever played, and the buggiest one as well.

in Necromancer

Posted by: striker.3704

striker.3704

In general PvE/dungeon/fractal content the pet based necro is fine. It isn’t until you get to speed run parties and very specific dungeons that it becomes a problem.

D/S/R necromancer F/A/T elementalist
S/I/F engineer Z/R/D guard

in Necromancer

Posted by: Taranotos.1567

Taranotos.1567

In general PvE/dungeon/fractal content the pet based necro is fine. It isn’t until you get to speed run parties and very specific dungeons that it becomes a problem.

Good example of this is Caudecus’s Manor. if you was trying to sneak pass something and stealth runs out or doesn’t cap all your minions then you’ll end up with a truck load of bandits in your face.

in Necromancer

Posted by: striker.3704

striker.3704

Good example of this is Caudecus’s Manor. if you was trying to sneak pass something and stealth runs out or doesn’t cap all your minions then you’ll end up with a truck load of bandits in your face.

Yes, as a minion master I’d highly recommend having an endless tonic on hand so you can on-demand kill all your minions for situations like this.

D/S/R necromancer F/A/T elementalist
S/I/F engineer Z/R/D guard

in Necromancer

Posted by: Marthkus.4615

Marthkus.4615

So it’s bad for running past/skipping content. OK.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Gryph.8237

Gryph.8237

I think we all love this class here (probably why i rage so much because i see potential, but also see how we are held back and get the least attention). That said, minion builds for the necro don’t really work in any situation but spvp (in low to mid-high tiers) and while soloing. In wvw, they don’t work, because the aoe fest is just… well, too much to support our minions, aside from the bad pathing, and in dungeons, they simply are too fragile and go down too fast, leaving you without utilities as well as a loss in damage.

In general, necro is not the best for dungeons. You are not bad damage wise if you run pure power, but you bring no group buffs, can’t blast wells, give boons, or add anything that is not already added by another class.