Race choice for necro?

Race choice for necro?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Qaelyn.7612

Qaelyn.7612

Hey all,

Relatively new player here (about two months). I’ve decided I want to roll a necro because they look cool and because I want to learn how all the classes work.

Is there any reason to choose or not choose a particular race for a necro?

I often tend towards asura both because they’re cute and because they seem to give an advantage in PvP play due to them being harder to see and thus it harder to read their “tells”. But I’m not sure if this is an issue with necro or not, thus this thread.

Also, does being smaller make it harder to pick a necro out from a clump of minions?

Thanks.

Race choice for necro?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Being an little prick helps in PvP, that’s no doubt. Their racials are also kind of superior to other races for no real reason. However, being a small rat doesn’t fit necro theme, you can’t see any armor nor be scary. It’s just like little E.T.

Want to make a Necromancer? Roll with a Charr. Everyone knows that there are some problems with armors, but honestly, if you can match some pieces, Charrs look better than any other race. We also have nice PvE racial utility called “Hidden Pistol”, evade on very short cooldown which compensates lack of major defenses in PvE.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

Race choice for necro?

in Necromancer

Qaelyn.7612

Yeah the asura would be a practical choice. I do like them but I have 3 or 4 already.

Charr was actually going to be my selection for this character. I like to have a theme behind each one and had a concept that fit a charr necro. Plus I’ve never played one before.

Only thing is that I do like to PvP and so the asura advantages are worthwhile. And I don’t care much about armor appearance while I’m not a big fan of all the grunting and growling charr do.

Race choice for necro?

in Necromancer

Rym.1469

You know, the racial advantage is something they may fix in future and if they do, you’re stuck with playing a rat ;p
Charr is, aside from norn, only actual race with appealing masculinity in this game. Humans look like…dolls, Sylvari are just a child of Dev interested in modern gardening and asura…words cannot describe how awful they’re for me ;p
Your Charr will have best voiceacting, story and biggest + :
Look at the Charr in Death Shroud.

Nuff said

Race choice for necro?

in Necromancer

Qaelyn.7612

I usually make female characters. Female charr are.. I don’t know, there’s something odd about them. I could make a male charr but there are so many of them already.

Interested in feedback from anyone else on the practical side of the decision.

Race choice for necro?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Female charr are no less well designed than the males. They just sound confident and a little taunting as opposed to the male’s threatening tones.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Race choice for necro?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Mander.6924

Mander.6924

I’ve tried every race and I’ve no doubt: if you want a dark, dreaded grim reaper roll Norn. Paint it abyss black. Strap skulls and bones everywhere, from armor to weapons (there are some pretty sweet: deathwish and adam come to mind) and share the darkness.
“I’m the master of LIFE!” will ring in your ears so well you’ll never try another race.

Race choice for necro?

in Necromancer

Posted by: ArmageddonAsh.6430

ArmageddonAsh.6430

I started as Asura, in the end restarted due to the fact that all the good armor looks terrible on them (imo)

Race choice for necro?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

I have like 4 Necro characters, and all of them are one of the humanoid races.

I despise the way asura look. They look like disgusting little rat-monsters with heads as large as their overinflated ego. Charr are only a little bit better.

But in general your race choice doesn’t matter too much. Asura is the best for sPvP because certain of their animations are basically non-existent, Norn the best for WvW (elite racial), and the rest it really doesn’t matter much. Racials, besides that one for WvW like I mentioned, aren’t that important.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

Race choice for necro?

in Necromancer

Qaelyn.7612

Aw, asura are so cute.

And I actually get a kick out of something that looks like a little girl kicking others’ butts.

Race choice for necro?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Roe.3679

Roe.3679

I like sylvari, you can make them black or green or white or whatever other color, no noses or anything for creepy effects if you like. I think they look the best and armor still looks good on them since they are shaped mostly like humans.

Race choice for necro?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Oakenguard.5721

Oakenguard.5721

You can make a VERY mean mean looking Sylvari, mine is dark green with a deep green glow and a awesome mohawk. Also, you might try going for a blackish skin with orange or yellow glowing, it looks really really cool. I’d avoid the Charr, their armor is poorly designed in most cases, and Asura always seemed lame, especially because people use them to gain advantages in pvp. Norn can look excellent as Necros as well though… so really what I’m saying is whatever floats your boat I guess =).

Race choice for necro?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Oslaf Beinir.5842

Oslaf Beinir.5842

Well Norn of course! would prefer male for better looking scary armor. unless that is not what you’re after.
the elite racial skill which turns you into a snow leopard is almost a guaranteed escape from pesky spots in wvw…and let me tell you it made me rage every time they stealthed and charged away.

Second close is Asura for the underhanded advantage of the unique animations in s/tpvp and racial skills which deal in conditions. this is something more suited for mesmers not necros imo since necros dont have that many unique animations anyway.

Third is something I liked personally which is human males for the voice acting. Grenth this Grenth that blah blah blah.

Get In The Van Yo[PR] -Play on Far Shiverpeaks/Gunner’s Hold/Vabbi

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

Race choice for necro?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

I went charr because I want the enemy to focus on me. I want them to feel the pain of my wells and life blast. LOL.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

Race choice for necro?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Rapier.3675

Rapier.3675

dont forget that sylvari have elite skill to block anything aka summon turrets. that is what necro is lacking. just a tip

Race choice for necro?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Falcon.8713

Falcon.8713

I got a necro with every race n.n if you like the theme of death you can give every race an epic armor ! / My charr looks like the Lunatic Boatman of Hween, My Norn go a combination with Cultural armor and his tatoos to look like a voodoo creep o.o Asura uses Arah armor (Mini Reaper Me) / Sylvari also got Arah Combined with Hellfire Warhelm + Toxic Gloves & Pauldrons / Human uses Grenth hood + deadly pauldrons + arah top + cof leggings + arah gloves + arah boots

One should should not use racial skills anyway, just love the way you look

My necromancer got upgraded to a scythe-wielding maniac.. I like it.

Race choice for necro?

in Necromancer

Posted by: rogerwilko.6895

rogerwilko.6895

I went Sylvari when the game released.
Don’t make the same mistake

Race choice for necro?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Vewen.9410

Vewen.9410

Unfortunate but true. Shoulders and legs look really weird on a sylvari, floating and stretched.

Race choice for necro?

in Necromancer

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

#HumanMasterRace

7 level 80s. 5 are human females.

Race choice for necro?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dalanor.5387

Dalanor.5387

Charr or go home. It’ just awesome. Furry ball of death. =3

Race choice for necro?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Vagelis.9562

Vagelis.9562

Norn here and didnt regret it … As tall as possible , trimmed head , piercing green eyes dressed in Abyss Tier 1 Armor . As an acolyte of Raven he looks frickish ,scary , macho, terrifying well … all the “imo” necessary stuff an Asura necro lacks

The pic with Shadow Armor is old one

Attachments:

Revive Tybalt Leftpaw, only guy obsessed with sth other than Dragons Zombies or outrunning centaurs

(edited by Vagelis.9562)

Race choice for necro?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kahrgan.7401

Kahrgan.7401

Charr /15char

Don’t call anyone out on their BS, that’s an infraction and a deleted post. —Anet.

Race choice for necro?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

Unfortunate but true. Shoulders and legs look really weird on a sylvari, floating and stretched.

Agreed on the shoulders part, legs i never realized. And weapons also float in the air.

Race choice for necro?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Morbridae.8607

Morbridae.8607

My main necro is a norn, and I love it. But I accept that sylvaris, charrs and asuras have more necro-ish features, and can be best suited for the job, stylish-speaking, since they have better skin and hair color combinations.

Morbridae (Norn Necromancer)
@ Sorrow’s Furnace (VE)

Race choice for necro?

in Necromancer

Rym.1469

Charr /15charr

Here, fixed and agreed

Race choice for necro?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dina Van Heyr.3018

Dina Van Heyr.3018

racial skill dont work in spvp .. the most kitten is norn elite

(edited by Dina Van Heyr.3018)

Race choice for necro?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dog.1472

Dog.1472

I started as Asura, in the end restarted due to the fact that all the good armor looks terrible on them (imo)

Girl please

Asura race is best race.

Attachments:

“Please, you can look down on people without having to be physically above them.
As an asura, I do this all the time.”

Race choice for necro?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Stx.4857

Stx.4857

Asurans are good for pvp because you are harder to target/less noticable. As for actual racial abilities, in WvW I would say Norn is by far the best because it allows a great escape ability for a class with 0 escapes. For PvE I believe Sylvari have the best racial since it grants immunity to damage, which this class lacks. Human is another solid choice because they have multiple racials with conditions attached.

2x 80 Necro, 80 Ranger, 80 Thief

Race choice for necro?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kahrgan.7401

Kahrgan.7401

Girl please

Asura race is best race.

except for the fact that your character looks like a dork.

Don’t call anyone out on their BS, that’s an infraction and a deleted post. —Anet.

Race choice for necro?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Beleth.8249

Beleth.8249

Do not choose Norn if you want to do PvP.
The terrain is so tight in most places that when you pan your camera round there is always an obstacle that blocks your view.

12/5/14 Legendary

Race choice for necro?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Usagi.4835

Usagi.4835

The Norn Leopard elite is just silly lol… that mobility. I don’t think human racial skills (having played only humans) are that good to be honest. Prayer To Lyssa certainly isn’t good enough to take up one of your utility slots and Prayer To Kormir is on a long cooldown and necros are already equipped with good condition management.

I would’ve thought asura would be quite good (animations and size aside), simply because of Pain Inverter: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Pain_Inverter

I’ve never played an asura for a particularly long stretch of time but, at least for condi necros, I’d have liked to play around with Pain Inverter and Perplexity runes or something.

Commander Chocolate Teapot | Prettier than you | Forum damsel in distress

Race choice for necro?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

Hounds of Balthazar, however, is really strong for bursting targets down.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

Race choice for necro?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Chuck Nizzle.6283

Chuck Nizzle.6283

You should pick whatever you want, just for the looks. When it comes down to it, some racial abilities are simply better than others. But how often are you actually going to be using those abilities?

So don’t make an asura. Why? Because then you’re tiny and no one can see all of your awesome gear!!!

Make a charr if you want to be huge and look just awesome in general. The only problem is some of the armor clips.

Make a human if you just want to look like an average joe, but still be fairly big. The problem is that there are a lot of humans out there.

Make a norn if you basically want to look life a bigger human, and if you love tatts. XD

Make a sylvari if you want to be able to have pretty much any skin color you want, plus awesome-glowing cultural armor.

My necro’s a human, and I’m happy with that. I’m with everyone else on this though-make it a Charr!!!

Race choice for necro?

in Necromancer

Posted by: Setun.4368

Setun.4368

I have to agree with Chuck in that you should make your necro whichever race is most appealing. Me though? Norn all day every day. Snow Leopard form works wonders for solo roaming in wvw

Race choice for necro?

in Necromancer

Posted by: TheDevice.2751

TheDevice.2751

grimmnox says u betta go with the asura XD

Attachments: