General Patch Discussion [merged]

in Ranger

Posted by: Zaith.9132

Zaith.9132

Too bad we can’t name spirits. Bet you can guess what I’d name my sun spirit, so that I can laugh when a light breeze one-shots it.

/me tips transmuted tier-3 crafted hat

in Ranger

Posted by: Joey.3928

Joey.3928

What? How? They made zero changes last update, which means they had plenty of time to fix/balance/test changes. Besides, they didn’t even fix any bugs, those don’t need testing.

Yes, but I am sure they do not have a QA team JUST for Rangers. The fixes we want are actually very drastic and major. It will take time.

Estel Wolfheart
Norn Ranger
Hardcorepwnograhpy [HARD] | Isle of Janthir

in Ranger

Posted by: nldixon.8514

nldixon.8514

So… The change to traps, intentional or not, is a little surprising. That’s a pretty big kick in the baby maker for trap builds.

in Ranger

Joey.3928

So… The change to traps, intentional or not, is a little surprising. That’s a pretty big kick in the baby maker for trap builds.

What happened to traps?

Estel Wolfheart
Norn Ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: Kellie.3687

Kellie.3687

Let’s be honest, they had to cut a few of the ranger notes out due to balance issues, and we will have to wait another month for Signets and shout changes, and changes to the feel and pace of weapons…

in Ranger

Posted by: aotd.4098

aotd.4098

What happened to traps?

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/Traps-stealth-nerfed/first#post746042

in Ranger

nldixon.8514

What happened to traps?

All traps now have a 30 second cool down and they don’t seem to be affected by traits any more.

I’m assuming it’s accidental. If not, it’s a really, really, really bad move.

in Ranger

Posted by: Azel.4786

Azel.4786

What happened to traps?

Cooldown nerfed to 30 secs across the board it seems.

in Ranger

Joey.3928

Let’s be honest, they had to cut a few of the ranger notes out due to balance issues, and we will have to wait another month for Signets and shout changes, and changes to the feel and pace of weapons…

That is most likely the reason. Thank you for being logical!! (seriously)

Estel Wolfheart
Norn Ranger

in Ranger

Joey.3928

What happened to traps?

Ooooh really? Fire trap was like 15 or something right? Interesting.

Estel Wolfheart
Norn Ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: gduber.9756

gduber.9756

And I thought the necro notes were sad. They ninja-nerfed traps too.

in Ranger

Posted by: Indoles.1467

Indoles.1467

So I just wanted to post that I anticipated this entirely and therefore am only letdown slightly. The most shocking thing to me was the harpoon gun buffs (which honestly were needed since that weapon was utter trash). However, I am actually a bit excited, in case nobody else really noticed, greatsword got a couple buffs.

*Counterattack: The blocking portion of this skill can now be used while moving. Ranged attacks will not trigger the second half of the skill.
*Maul: This skill’s damage has been increased by 40%.

Both of those are quite potent buffs, especially counterattack not longer forcing you to swing if the target is far away. While I don’t want to thank anet for the patch because I was hoping for a little more, I am glad that my build was only improved and I’m sure other people feel the same. (I don’t use traps)

in Ranger

nldixon.8514

What happened to traps?

Yes. The cool down was doubled. I feel like this has to be a mistake. Not just the, “Oh, man. I really hope this is a mistake. This has to be a mistake!” way, but an actual accidental change in code somewhere.

in Ranger

Posted by: Dokuroizo.5348

Dokuroizo.5348

So I finally figured it out… Maybe they actually want people to stop playing ranger? It’s so broke, it’d be easier for them to make people quit it, than fix it.

They might as well just delete the class outright. I am sure we will all know why and we would take a few days of grieving and start another class. That’s what 80% is going to do npw anyway.

in Ranger

Azel.4786

What happened to traps?

Yup 15 as far as I know. All other traps were equally affected and traits (including cooldown reduction) seem to have stopped working. Haven’t tested anything myself, but that is the talk around the forums too.

in Ranger

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

Hey, hey, hey. Maybe I’ve gone crazy, here.
But I think I just saw my pet take a shortcut instead of following a target’s path step for step. Does somebody whose run one of those Target Dummy tests before and has been paying far closer attention to these things than I have wanna’ feel like giving it another go and see if they notice anything different about the way the pet chases a target?

in Ranger

Posted by: JonPeters.5630

JonPeters.5630

Game Design Lead

Hi Anders, I’m totally not here so skip this post and read on…

We made the improvements we had time to test. There are still more ranger improvements but when our time is limited we have to focus on things we know we can fix. Signets and shouts are still on the docket, and I suspect some of each of these will get some love in the next time around. As you can see a lot changed in this build for every profession and we have to test these changes as well.

I do still believe ranger is the profession in most need of improvement after this patch and we will continue to make those improvements. If we could fix everything at one time we would, but the reality is there are a limited # of hours to make changes.

I see a lot of talk about ranger weapons, but I don’t think that is the real problem. I think sword and longbow are both good weapons, which is why the changes take longer. The problems are deeper, in pets ability to hit moving targets, trait lines with not enough viable choices and skills that are often too specialized to really compliment the weapon builds. These aren’t things we can change overnight. The change to Greatsword block was in fact a very difficult change, but we made it because we knew it was the right thing to do.

There are >500 skills in this game, 480 traits, and 2 designers working on this. Even then often we are bottle necked by other issues. I’m not going to say we are not working on these things, nor can I say there are things we could have changed but just ran out of time on, but this was a patch that contained ranger improvements and it will not be the last one that does so. Maybe you want more than honesty but that is what I currently have to offer.

Jon

in Ranger

Posted by: Da Poolp.6809

Da Poolp.6809

I hope this is just the first step for ranger fixes.

in Ranger

Posted by: Xuro.5861

Xuro.5861

Hey, hey, hey. Maybe I’ve gone crazy, here.
But I think I just saw my pet take a shortcut instead of following a target’s path step for step. Somebody whose run one of those Target Dummy tests and has been paying far closer attention to these things wanna’ feel like giving it another go and see if they notice anything different about the way the pet chases a target?

Even if this is the case, they still can’t hit moving targets so what’s the use?

in Ranger

Posted by: krojack.4920

krojack.4920

What happened to traps?

Yes. The cool down was doubled. I feel like this has to be a mistake. Not just the, “Oh, man. I really hope this is a mistake. This has to be a mistake!” way, but an actual accidental change in code somewhere.

But but.. they made the torch travel faster to compensate for the track cooldown increase! Also they want you to use the torch more and traps less!

80 Sylvari Ranger – Jade Quarry
» My current Guild Wars 2 game annoyances

in Ranger

Posted by: krojack.4920

krojack.4920

I hope this is just the first step for ranger fixes.

The two steps back, one step forward way of fixing them?

80 Sylvari Ranger – Jade Quarry
» My current Guild Wars 2 game annoyances

in Ranger

Posted by: Antigono.1258

Antigono.1258

but… if you dont have time, to fix the game,,, why do you release new content?!?!?!?

(edited by Antigono.1258)

in Ranger

Posted by: Fomby.4295

Fomby.4295

If you believe that rangers are the most broken class. Why wouldn’t you manage most of your time around fixing them? Instead of giving other classes heaps of time.

“A chain is as strong as its weakest link” kind of thing.

Maguuma [PYRO]
Kal Snow – Norn Guardian

in Ranger

Posted by: Predator.7321

Predator.7321

We made the improvements we had time to test. There are still more ranger improvements but when our time is limited we have to focus on things we know we can fix. Signets and shouts are still on the docket, and I suspect some of each of these will get some love in the next time around. As you can see a lot changed in this build for every profession and we have to test these changes as well.

I do still believe ranger is the profession in most need of improvement after this patch and we will continue to make those improvements. If we could fix everything at one time we would, but the reality is there are a limited # of hours to make changes.

I see a lot of talk about ranger weapons, but I don’t think that is the real problem. I think sword and longbow are both good weapons, which is why the changes take longer. The problems are deeper, in pets ability to hit moving targets, trait lines with not enough viable choices and skills that are often too specialized to really compliment the weapon builds. These aren’t things we can change overnight. The change to Greatsword block was in fact a very difficult change, but we made it because we knew it was the right thing to do.

There are >500 skills in this game, 480 traits, and 2 designers working on this. Even then often we are bottle necked by other issues. I’m not going to say we are not working on these things, nor can I say there are things we could have changed but just ran out of time on, but this was a patch that contained ranger improvements and it will not be the last one that does so. Maybe you want more than honesty but that is what I currently have to offer.

Jon

In other words better luck next time rangers
I was under the impression that these "changes were ready last patch and just had to be implemented this patch and i’m not sure where those changes we were promised went.

in Ranger

Posted by: Bornthisway.4609

Bornthisway.4609

With traited traps, my ranger was somewhat not completely useless, it could farm Orr all right. Now, with this nerf of traps, it is really ground zero. You have made this class absolutely useless, probably beyond repair. I’d like to think this is just a mistake, like I thought with the SB nerf, but this is probably another “animation glitch” etc.

Anyway, I have 3 other 80s because I could see the writing on the wall with this class. Ranger was my first 80 and I would’ve loved to see it get SOMETHING, but clearly it is just going to be ineffectual, more and more, terrible and made more terrible. I really do not understand. This is just beyond frustrating at this point.

in Ranger

Posted by: Rthen.5970

Rthen.5970

Well. I have to admit while I expected lack luster I didn’t expect a trap nerf.

Sigh…

Rthen
80 Ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: ExpiredLifetime.1083

ExpiredLifetime.1083

Jon

Jon. If you have your dev team do ANYTHING to fix rangers, PLEASE speed up the projectile speed of the long bow by 50%.

Please. You can’t hit a god kitten thing if its moving at the range that the bow does its max damage.

in Ranger

Posted by: JonasV.4209

JonasV.4209

OK I have to respond to one part of this. How in the name of…. do you have only TWO designers working on class fixes for the entire game?

~ Tarnished Coast ~ Sylvari Necromancer ~

in Ranger

Posted by: Dokuroizo.5348

Dokuroizo.5348

Ofcourse you have limited time.

Enough time to buff the warrior longbow it seems, because yeah. Warriors were horrible broken with their bows. Great priorities.

in Ranger

Posted by: No Walking.6349

No Walking.6349

You’re kidding right? You increased the CD of all traps to 30 seconds? And then you didn’t even tell us about it in the patch notes? You guys are such a joke when it comes to listening to your players…..You knew that we would already be upset about the crappy “ranger overhaul” that you promised and didn’t deliver on, and now you stealth nerfed our traps……….L2 Develop Anet, get it together and fix our class!

in Ranger

Posted by: Zaith.9132

Zaith.9132

I call shenanigans. When you say “test”… you really meant LARPing, don’t you Jon?

/me tips transmuted tier-3 crafted hat

in Ranger

Posted by: Awesome.6120

Awesome.6120

If you believe that rangers are the most broken class. Why wouldn’t you manage most of your time around fixing them? Instead of giving other classes heaps of time.

They have to budget their time according to how many warrior fixes and buffs are on the list.

[SFD] – Maguuma

in Ranger

Posted by: Lillith.5724

Lillith.5724

Can’t understand why they buffed Warriors Longbow?? They makes no sense at tall.

Lillith Flame – Norn Ranger
Guild Leader: Spank Reunited
Yak’s Bend Server

in Ranger

Posted by: aotd.4098

aotd.4098

More damage control BS, exactly like last time. Expecting Ranger subforum blowing up again next “balance” patch.

in Ranger

Posted by: KinkyWarrior.1879

KinkyWarrior.1879

Jon

I for one am grateful for the knowledge that your still working on it. The problem I believe most people have is the fact that, intentionally or not, you built this patch up to be everything us rangers wanted and needed and they feel let down because of this. I personally will continue to have faith but next patch, just don’t build it up so much ;D

Dius Vanguard [DiVa]

in Ranger

Posted by: Boomstin.3460

Boomstin.3460

Thanks for reply. Maybe i’ll come back to Gw2 when the changes are implemented one day.
Also, if you know the ranger is in most need to improvement then why fixing ranger isn’t more of a focus for you guys?

All is vain.

in Ranger

Posted by: arenta.2953

arenta.2953

ranger improvement? you gave us a few underwater stuff…
we still gonna get murdered in PvP and WvW.
plus you added time to ranger traps? so the ONLY currently fuction build, the trap ranger is now fail.

you buffed warrior to hell!
why cant u stop buffing that OP class and give ranger SOME attention.

Jade Quarry’s Tomoko Takei, Anabuki Tomoko, and Assassin Ahri

in Ranger

Posted by: Crowmeat.3750

Crowmeat.3750

I saw this coming from a mile away,

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/This-is-what-i-though-it-will-be-Ranger-prerelease/first#post665516

Here is a constructive criticism for Anet…

Always under promise, and over deliver.

Customer service 101

in Ranger

Posted by: Sneaking Stig.6820

Sneaking Stig.6820

“The change to Greatsword block was in fact a very difficult change, but we made it because we knew it was the right thing to do.”

So the thing i haven’t even seen on this forum at all, or have been adressed as a problem get’s fixed? While the things we’ve made tons and tons of topics about doesn’t? The time you spent on fixing GS you could have imprived the missile speed on LB, roll back on QZ to the way it was, increase LB/SB dmg, remove root on sword, fix the pet AI, change the traits, improve signets, improve shouts+++

Things we’ve actually SAID NEED CHANGES!

in Ranger

Posted by: nerva.7940

nerva.7940

JP, when is “next time around”? thanks.

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLbWtvtzdU0Ho0zto6VnTQ

in Ranger

Posted by: Augcliffe.1342

Augcliffe.1342

Haha, you said that last time Jon. Said that “we didn’t have time to get to Rangers” and therefore they’d be super compensated next time (which is this time). Failed on that.

in Ranger

Posted by: Jeheil.2516

Jeheil.2516

Utter communication fail. You posted a while back , 80,000 views. You set expectations, indeed moderators deleted my post expressing concern (without swearing) that expectations were too high.

No communication.

We have had no practical buffs, spirits are so bad that buffing them as has been done is it a bit like saying ‘we will only kick you in the goolies 5 times an hour instead of 6 times an hour’.

Our core weapons still underperform.

Our non auto-shot damage does NOT improve our damage output like that of other classes.

Our pets are still RUBBISH

AND you stealth nerfed traps.

PS you made Warrior bows, EVEN BETTER. Indeed Warriors are now better Rangers than Rangers.

Jeheil, IoJ, [uA] – Defender of Gazza’s watergate

in Ranger

Posted by: TravisTrout.6803

TravisTrout.6803

The problems are deeper, in pets ability to hit moving targets, trait lines with not enough viable choices and skills that are often too specialized to really compliment the weapon builds.
Jon

Yes. If nothing else it’s good to know that we agree as to what the actual problems are. The pet issues for me really are at the top of the list. If Ranger in this game is the pet-using variety, then pets have to work properly.

in Ranger

Posted by: docMed.7692

docMed.7692

Jon

Just very dissapointing Jon as we (Rangers) were entirely skipped over last patch and told very exciting changes were coming, where you even gave a heirarchy of those changes to come, but addressed them in a different manner. I understand a game is difficult to program, balance, etc, but when your customer’s are told one thing and an entirely different thing happens all the way up until the point of where the content is just released without comment/fore warning and/or anticipation from the dev’s that this may not be what you were painting to us initially – we have to question it and this is why you see numerous posts of dissatisfaction.

Honestly, take the time you need to fix things – it’s the misleading that irritates people.

in Ranger

Posted by: Deleven.7508

Deleven.7508

thanks for the reply jon

in Ranger

Azel.4786

Jon,

Have you had a chance to test the traps cooldown increase everyone is talking about?

Another point, honestly, what can we expect in matters of timing and changes? Last time we got to same text (albeit slightly different wording), we also had a timing (Mid November).

When the time finally happens you drop the bomb like this without so much as a warning saying “please be patient, we are tight on resources and these are not the significant changes you should expect, we are planning to do more changes during the following weeks of November” or something to that level.

I can’t begin to phantom how you honestly expect us to believe in more “empty” promises despite the last two (animation glitch which was actually a nerf) and the unannounced delivery of this patch which was expected to be “substantial”.

I’m trying to phrase me words as politely as possible, but it is rather hard to not be frustrated with the lack of communication or just empty promises.

(edited by Azel.4786)

in Ranger

Posted by: Rthen.5970

Rthen.5970

I don’t understand why you would buff Warriors even more though and nerf Ranger traps.

Would you guys even consider providing rangers a way out and trade their level 80 for a level 80 of any other class? I have played MMOs sine EQ1 and I am under no illusion that Rangers will ever be fixed.. its just not how these games work.

I also don’t have a bunch of free time to level up something else.. hell my Ele is only level 10.

Rthen
80 Ranger

in Ranger

Posted by: BAEK.8561

BAEK.8561

I understand there’s a ton of skills in the game, and 2 people working on all of them can get overwhelming. So here, I’ll make the job easier for you. My biggest gripe with ranger class right now is how inferior our signets are, namely Signet of the Hunt.

Ranger’s Signet of the Hunt: increases movement speed by 10%
compared to..
Thief’s Signet of Shadow: increases movement speed by 25%

How is this clearly not an imbalance? This is so obvious even a 5th grade can figure out 10% != 25%. Does something like this REALLY NEED intensive testing? Isn’t it obvious that most skills across all classes should be somewhat paralleled in terms of its usefulness?

{Sanctum of Rall} Since Day -3
Weekend Guardian/Elementalist
No Guild Affiliation

in Ranger

Posted by: supeg.1295

supeg.1295

lol, wow you are out of your mind if you think these are improvements. Adding 1 cent to 5 cents does not equal a dollar. You buffed spirits when they are 100% useless. They are now 99% useless. Most of the skills you buffed are underwater garbage skills.

To be honest when I saw the “I see a lot of talk about ranger weapons, but I don’t think that is the real problem. I think sword and longbow are both good weapons, which is why the changes take longer.” I think I am done with this game.

What you really need to do is give Rangers a big buff when there pets are stowed. Change buff depending on type of pet, because right now Pets are useless in anything besides PVE.

Another easy change you can make is to make Spirits invincible. How hard is that to think of? Signets giving half the benefit of other classes……. Seriously, these are three obvious things that can be made and Im sure it would be very easy to toss in. Rangers got assraped before release and are now by far the worst class in this game.

We dont give a kitten if you are understaffed, hire more people with the money we are giving you.

Very disappointed in this game and you.

(edited by supeg.1295)

in Ranger

Posted by: Bambi.2609

Bambi.2609

I wonder the same. You know you have a problem you know that we need fixes but you spend more time on other classes ? Sorry to say this all makes very little sense. You made so many changes to game allready but couldn’t do anything for one class? And thank you for ninja nerf of traps :S