How balanced are 100% improvment traits...

in Ranger

Posted by: PolarLights.4825

PolarLights.4825

How can a professions utility’s be balanced when traits give 100% improvement.

Would it not be better to increase the base usefulness of utilitys and then give them the more normal 20-50 percent improvement?

Because if a utility can stand to have a 100% improvement, that basically means the untraited version is just plain under powered.

Traits with 100% improvement:
Signet of the Beastmaster
Moment of Clarity
Trap Potency
Vigirous Spirits

3/5ths of the Rangers utility lines benefits from an inane doubling of effectiveness.

Also if you don’t have double effectiveness then the utility lines are garbage. Just look how useful the pet and wilderness survival utility’s are.

Every ranger build basically relys on a reckless 100% improvement.

Not only that but even when traited they are only on par with what every other profession gets as a base.

For example all long cooldown stuns/dazes are around the 2 second mark. To get a 2 second stun with GS or SB you have to use a Grand Master Trait!
With signets you have to use another grand master just to have the utility affect you. That is just plain backwards. Its like the Ranger is the pet in GW2.
Spirits being able to follow is like if you had to trait for a clone to follow someone or trait so you could move a banner.

If you were to give 100% trait improvements to any other profession they would be utterly broken (Just take a look at a memsers 5 pt trait to have 100% vigor uptime). But with a Ranger its just business as usual.

And if you don’t trait for double effectiveness the utility’s end up being utter garbage as they need that 100% improvement just to be usable.

Doubing of utility effectiveness needs to go. And with that, the base utility of utility/weapon skills needs to be improved.

On the front page of Solo Q leaderboards.
Over 15k Achievement points. Over 550 WXP ranks on Ranger. 5 legendaries. Dungeon Master.
I do hope I know a little bit about playing GW2….

(edited by PolarLights.4825)

in Ranger

Posted by: ChillyChinaman.6057

ChillyChinaman.6057

Rangers working harder for equal if not lower performance has been a staple since GW1.

in Ranger

Posted by: Taushullu.6180

Taushullu.6180

Very true. This is basically the reason why i find myself choosing certain skills over others. Always the same skills… so frustrating.

in Ranger

Posted by: kyubi.3620

kyubi.3620

at least we had touch ranger and dagger ranger XD

Crystal Desert, The Darknest Community P.E.T.A.
BM: I want to present you my lovely jingle bear mia
If pet had voices: Mommy, I did it! :3

in Ranger

Posted by: nagymbear.5280

nagymbear.5280

I never thought of rangers this way. Just another perspective on how brok interestingly designed rangers are.

Khert Devileyes – Ranger / Mano Negra – Thief / Nagymbear – Warrior /
Elona Bonechill – Necro / Fionna Gymirdottier – Guard /// RoF

in Ranger

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

The idea (successful or not…) is that when a skills function is to do damage, increasing its damage by 5% or a conditonal 10% is multiplying off of the skill’s primary function/largest axis.

The traits that give 100% buffs are typically increasing a very tertiary function (e.g. +100% damage on a warrior’s physical skills) where the thing being massively multiplied is a very small part of the overall functions of the skill.

Doubling the length of Ranger stuns only makes sense because they are such a tiny part of our tools.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

in Ranger

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

The issue is , that if you want to use a rangers utility spell u have to massively trait into it , hence the problem . Most other classes have traits that are optional as nice boons but do not make a spell functional

in Ranger

Posted by: thrice.9184

thrice.9184

Questions I ask myself whenever boot up gw2 and scroll over the ranger toon……

Ranger put into Retirement due to Anet Abuse.
9/3/13 rip