So Hype For Druid! But.. Its Kinda Boring.

in Ranger

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

Now, let me preface this by saying I’m admittedly pretty lackluster at Ranger. Once longbow is gone I flounder pretty bad, and have ‘meh’ pet management. Nonetheless I was super hype to try out Druid. I’ve always played healer classed in every game they’re available and always loved/excelled in said role.

And Druid was no different.

Astral Force manipulation /management was fairly easy to learn. Healing allies was a cinch. I loved being able to play a viable healer when I got my hands on the spec but after about an hour playing I came to realize.. It’s really rather boring.

I like the concept of the spec, I’m cool with the idea of building life force to go into healer mode but the abilities themselves available to the druid are so bland, both functionally and aesthetically that I didn’t really gain any sense of excitement.

• The staff skills are dull, besides the dash and projectile wall. The autoattack not only looks bad, it feels really ineffective for both healing and damage. Skill 2 is as forgettable as its corresponding trait, and the vines bother/help no one when needed.
  • The astral skills are dull, with skill 3 being an enhanced version of skill 1. Astral mode is so.. Spammy. You need very little thought as to how to use the abilities and there is very little creative freedom beyond rolling your face through the skills. Also skill 4 and 5 look painfully similar. If skill 2 is a “nature” ability why not add more nature-related animations? Speaking of which…
  • Why can a THIEF plant an entire tree when he steals from a Ranger, but DRUID can barely even sprout a flower?
  • Maybe take notes from Revenant? Ventari offers many more interesting ways to support allies, even the herald heal that converts damage into life could’ve been an interesting mechanic for Druids staff. (tweaked in some way, obviously)

Druid was a bit of a disappointment in that it is so straightforward to play that I didn’t really feel engaged in the game. Even dropping burst heals (Or rather spamming AF 3 & 4) did not feel very rewarding. Am I missing something here? Or does the class lack interesting abilities.

(edited by Chaos Archangel.5071)

in Ranger

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

The druid is one-dimensional, while people expected complexity.

Of course it feels boring.

in Ranger

Posted by: Lome.8239

Lome.8239

Then don’t play it?

I was having a blast.

in Ranger

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

Agreed to this 100%.

Also the animation is boring.
(The only good ones are when you’re in Astray, you click those useless glyphs which has redundant effects to your Astrays’ 1~5)

Wish we deserve something Reaper/ Revenant gets, which is super cool.

in Ranger

Kaiyanwan.8521

It is hard for mesmers to play other classes, and for once, I had the hope that druid would be complex enough and fun enough to actually feel worth it.

What we got is a healer, that is just spamming heals in the hope that they will heal the right person (like hey, I want to heal the tank in my group but for whatever reason, I was healing all the others that were standing around perfectly fine)

Wow, let’s see, healing is just spamming your buttons, but maybe damage is more interesting.
Wait, druid got no damage. Nevermind…

Who is impressed by that?

in Ranger

Posted by: StickerHappy.8052

StickerHappy.8052

It is hard for mesmers to play other classes, and for once, I had the hope that druid would be complex enough and fun enough to actually feel worth it.

What we got is a healer, that is just spamming heals in the hope that they will heal the right person (like hey, I want to heal the tank in my group but for whatever reason, I was healing all the others that were standing around perfectly fine)

Wow, let’s see, healing is just spamming your buttons, but maybe damage is more interesting.

What do you mean hard to play other classes as a mesmer?

Champion Illusionist Champion Hunter Champion Phantom Champion Magus

in Ranger

Kaiyanwan.8521

Because mesmer is the most awesome profession in game.

in Ranger

StickerHappy.8052

I know but It is not hard to play other classes tho, that is such an elitist statement.

in Ranger

Kaiyanwan.8521

I know but It is not hard to play other classes tho, that is such an elitist statement.

Sorry, not being an English native might have caused some trouble with the connotation of what I intended to say.

What I had on my mind while typing:

“I enjoy the complexity and situational awareness of playing a mesmer so much, that I personally have a hard time playing other professions.
As I am a great fan of druids in many other games, I for one hoped that we might get a complex specialization that would get close to the playstyle I like as individual.

Unfortunately, I got dissapointed."

Didn’t want to come over as an elitist, as I am very bad at being elite.

(edited by Kaiyanwan.8521)

in Ranger

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Sorry, not being an English native might have caused some trouble with the connotation of what I intended to say.

“I enjoy the complexity and situational awareness of playing a mesmer so much, that I personally have a hard time playing other professions.
As I am a great fan of druids in many other games, I for one hoped that we might get a complex specialization that would get close to the playstyle I like as individual.

Please post your build.

i notice a trend with these kind of threads. Please post your build.

in Ranger

Kaiyanwan.8521

Please post your build.

i notice a trend with these kind of threads. Please post your build.

Bearbow without spotter and no frost spirit. That is what you want to see?

in Ranger

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

What you got is a healer.

What I got is a Power Druid that immobilizes and lock down enemies. With mobility that enemies can’t escape or chase me with. I get tons of sustain because I outrange you and that I have tons of healing spells.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in Ranger

Posted by: Leodon.1564

Leodon.1564

Chaos, I too played a healer in other mmos and thus had high hopes of playing a healing Druid in HoT but came away from this past beta feeling the same way you did.

Lots of advice/feedback given by players but considering we are out of betas and the amount of work that still needs to be done on Druid, its probably going to be a long while before it gets to what I consider a fun/fluid/polished playstyle.

I guess only time will tell though.

Faye Oren – Mesmer
Lee Oren – Ranger
Eve Oren – Revenant

in Ranger

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

Guardian should have been healer, not Druid.

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

in Ranger

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

Apparently MANY players, whom you do seem to insult their intelligence by pretending that your preferences must apply to all.

in Ranger

Star Ace.5207

Guardian should have been healer, not Druid.

I admit I was expecting the bigger healing role for the Guardian specialization, but in many RPG games Druids are usually great healers as well. It’s just we didn’t get any “cleric”/“monk”, but you never know what gets added in the future.

It’s unfortunate for my Guardian too, because I expect to like the Druid way more than Dragon Hunter, and I love her, but probably more as a base Guardian rather than DH.

in Ranger

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

Yep I was afraid of this. Seems Anet is relying on the honeymoon period hype to sell the expansion but I have a feeling when people actually get down with the classes we’re going to be hearing a lot of complaints.

The druid is extremely one dimensional. After the initial fun of green numbers and zerg diving wears off druid will be boring as all hell. I don’t see it offering anything beyond some heals.

on the bright side ranger might finally have a meta zerg build? which is a plus i guess?

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

in Ranger

Posted by: Lettuce.2945

Lettuce.2945

Yep I was afraid of this. Seems Anet is relying on the honeymoon period hype to sell the expansion but I have a feeling when people actually get down with the classes we’re going to be hearing a lot of complaints.

The druid is extremely one dimensional. After the initial fun of green numbers and zerg diving wears off druid will be boring as all hell. I don’t see it offering anything beyond some heals.

on the bright side ranger might finally have a meta zerg build? which is a plus i guess?

How do players not see a build beyond healing??? I took one look at traits and made a viable zerk build with it. Far superior to non beta standard zerk ranger. And let me tell you this, the build I made is the most fun I’ve ever had with ranger since playing this game. Try actually thinking for yourself for once and make a build. And you just might be impressed with the results.

I’m honestly sick and tired of seeing those posts by players who can’t think and theorycraft properly. Just because Anet sells druid as a healing class doesn’t mean it has to be one. The DPS is always going to be there no matter which traitline you take. That’s a hint for you.

(edited by Lettuce.2945)

in Ranger

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

How do players not see a build beyond healing??? I took one look at traits and made a viable zerk build with it. Far superior to non beta standard zerk ranger. And let me tell you this, the build I made is the most fun I’ve ever had with ranger since playing this game. Try actually thinking for yourself for once and make a build. And you just might be impressed with the results.

I’m honestly sick and tired of seeing those posts by players who can’t think and theorycraft properly. Just because Anet sells druid as a healing class doesn’t mean it has to be one. The DPS is always going to be there no matter which traitline you take. That’s a hint for you.

I agree! Just take the “meta” power ranger build, swap out NM (or marksman) for druid and take cele shadow and ancient seeds and proceed to lay waste to your enemies while having superior cleanse, CC, mobility, and disengage then any base power ranger build!

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

in Ranger

Posted by: Azelvan.2153

Azelvan.2153

This. I main ranger since release and playing druid in hybrid is the most fun ranger experience I’ve had in a long time. Seems like people who complained just can’t make buulds other than healbot that Anet expect it to be. Druid still has so many flaws, but “boring” is the least issue it has.

in Ranger

StickerHappy.8052

I agree! Just take the “meta” power ranger build, swap out NM (or marksman) for druid and take cele shadow and ancient seeds and proceed to lay waste to your enemies while having superior cleanse, CC, mobility, and disengage then any base power ranger build!

I hate to say it (since you kicked me) but Lettuce is spot on, I wish more people can think of it this way.

in Ranger

Posted by: gavyne.6847

gavyne.6847

As someone who played Reaper throughout beta weekends, I can say I bumped into a couple well played & built druids that did a heck a lot more than just healing. They were one of my top 3 hardest fights during BWE 3. I think the fight against one particular druid went on for 5 minutes. Of course I have no idea what his builds were, but I’m sure if people need help there are plenty of others that could shed light on good builds.

So I agree with this poster, people need to think outside the box and stop playing druids like a pure healer. That is if you have issues with druids being healers & support in the first place.

in Ranger

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

While the complexity has highly increased for PvP, I think it would be pretty boring for most PvE and dungeons.

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

I’m honestly looking forward more for making a Reaper than for Druid, and I’ve always disliked Necro. Says something I think.

in Ranger

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Because to put Druid in a standard Zerk Ranger build you either have to either give up a load of defense, CC and pet damage or reliable condi cleanse with some burst defense and all you get in return is some unreliable condi cleanse, stealth thats never going to be there when you need it and a immobilize on CCd people which activates too late to root most people.

(edited by Levetty.1279)

in Ranger

Posted by: xev.9476

xev.9476

The DPS is always going to be there no matter which traitline you take.

Have you played this game…? This isn’t even remotely defensible.

in Ranger

Lettuce.2945

Yup and I already know I’m 100x better than you ever will be just by that statement alone. There’s a Druid build with marauder amulet that works. Hint, it combines both ws and Druid. Figure it out.

@Sticker
That’s on you. I didn’t kick. Kronos did because you never repped. And he found some posts where you bad mouthed him.

@levetty
Wrong. I had a build that has everything. Cc, survivability, condi clears superior to what we have now, and solid defenses. Only issue I had during bwe was a skilled chronomancer. Other than that, nothing gave me a challenge. And this is talking highest tier pvp level.

(edited by Lettuce.2945)

in Ranger

xev.9476

Yup and I already know I’m 100x better than you ever will be just by that statement alone. There’s a Druid build with marauder amulet that works. Hint, it combines both ws and Druid. Figure it out.

Your trait choices affect your DPS. Are you clueless or trolling?

in Ranger

Posted by: Firelysm.4967

Firelysm.4967

Sorry i though Druid would be CC control specialization and not a healer, sorry it doesn’t just break my personal taste, it breaks also holy trinity, and they will nerf it to the ground once HoT is released, or even before that, they just have a plan to make druid viable for 2 months same as revenant, then nerf it to the ground when majority will purchase HoT expansion. sad but true black story.

Wish I could get back to GW1.. PvP-GvG. It feels like we are outcasted, not desired or rewarded..

in Ranger

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

wait since when is Mesmer considered a complex class lol. Is that as serious comment??? Mesmer is complex when you hit lvl 80 and see all the options in front of yo and how to use F1-F4. Then you realized its either perma stealth PU run and hide or burst blink.

Mesmer main signing off

in Ranger

Lettuce.2945

Your trait choices affect your DPS. Are you clueless or trolling?

Not at all. Wanna duel and I can rekt you to prove my point? Marksmanship is NOT viable. A dumb ranger goes marksmanship. And that’s the truth. You can duel me on your weak marksman build versus my version and bam, the superiority of my build will be clearer to you.

You’re just one of those players incapable of thinking for themselves. Just a meta bandwagon hopper who has no idea that there’s superior builds out there. You sadden me. Your kind saddens me.

@vesper

I don’t reward band wagoners. Theory craft a few. Post it. And I’ll tell you if you’re cold, warm, or hot. Show me you’re capable of theory crafting for yourself. Otherwise I’ll just enjoy the OPness that is my Druid build before people qq for a nerf bat to it.

(edited by Lettuce.2945)

in Ranger

vespers.1759

i would like to see footage of these amazing zerker druids and also the builds used.

in Ranger

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

I get the feeling that most of the people hyped for druid are pvpers. Marks is certainly NOT useless in pve. If you pve then there is much less to be hyped about. Especially if you want to be full dps. Irenio out right said if you want to be full dps you don’t take druid. Period. It’s not really meant for that.

in Ranger

Posted by: chronometria.3708

chronometria.3708

I get the feeling that most of the people hyped for druid are pvpers. Marks is certainly NOT useless in pve. If you pve then there is much less to be hyped about. Especially if you want to be full dps. Irenio out right said if you want to be full dps you don’t take druid. Period. It’s not really meant for that.

I don’t think anyone wants “full” dps from it, just the possibility to do decent damage if specced for it, with some side healing. No healer spot should handicap the party to the extent that they are effectively losing a whole player’s worth of damage.

A healer elite should allow for “combat medic” play, whereby a dps character can switch into it for some support heals while primarily spending time dealing damage and getting stuck into the fight. Even a guardian can spec to break heads and still be a strong credit to their team via heals and boons.

in Ranger

Levetty.1279

You’re just one of those players incapable of thinking for themselves. Just a meta bandwagon hopper who has no idea that there’s superior builds out there. You sadden me. Your kind saddens me.

That is an amazingly high amount of arrogance to fit into one post, especially when you post tripe like this.

WS/NM/BM is the meta build. If he is swapping out NM for Marks he isn’t using the Meta build but you are. You are the Meta bandwaggoner. I’m sorry you sadden yourself.

(edited by Levetty.1279)

in Ranger

xev.9476

Not at all. Wanna duel and I can rekt you to prove my point? Marksmanship is NOT viable. A dumb ranger goes marksmanship. And that’s the truth. You can duel me on your weak marksman build versus my version and bam, the superiority of my build will be clearer to you.

…what? You seem hellbent on making a series of bizarre assumptions that can’t be inferred from anything I typed. I responded to your nonsense comment that DPS “is there” regardless of your traits, but now you’re ranting about duels, the MM line, and meta builds, kitten I never even gestured to. My point was just this: there are traits that increase your damage by x% (or increase crit chance, or reduce CDs, etc.), which means they increase your DPS. Thus, your comment was silly and stupid. That was it.

in Ranger

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

i would like to see footage of these amazing zerker druids and also the builds used.

This is the only Power druid video I see right now.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in Ranger

vespers.1759

Well it looks interesting at least. Ridiculous amount of kiting though

in Ranger

Posted by: Hammerguard.9834

Hammerguard.9834

I’ve been fighting with myself over whether I would stick with necro as main or switch to ranger. I ended up letting the elite specializations decide, and as good as reaper is, druid is still fighting for my attention.

Anyways, with a few much needed quality of life changes for druid (like something that makes celestial 1 less annoying or letting us use weapon swap to leave celestial) they’re shaping up amazingly in my opinion.

Edit: though I haven’t tried PvE with it. Maybe they could make the healing floaters more interesting and flashy? … :s

… I still want tengu.

(edited by Hammerguard.9834)

in Ranger

Levetty.1279

And if the best thing to come from Druid is a bunch of sub standard trait choices as an alternative to an already very flexible 3rd trait line in our 1 viable build its pretty much failed as an elite spec.

in Ranger

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

…though I haven’t tried PvE with it. Maybe they could make the healing floaters more interesting and flashy? … :s

I have to say, imo, the absolute last thing this game needs is more effects on the screen.

in Ranger

Posted by: Chokolata.1870

Chokolata.1870

What is this fixation that the Druid must always be built as a healer? Jesus, there are traits that align themselves with power, bunker or healer builds be it ranged or melee, or pure damage or CC.

MM has good synergy with Lunar impact, Staff trait, glyph of equality

Skirmishing can go a long way into making a GS/Staff druid extremely mobile in WvW

WS is always great to have, and a WS druid was something that a lot of people have ran in the BWE 3. Especially in a DPS variant.

So on and so forth.

And on the topic of trait choices. All three adepts are amazing. All 3 masters are amazing and all 3 grand masters are amazing. The first proper minor is ok and Natural mender is kind of meh.

Seriously people, stop complaining.

in Ranger

Star Ace.5207

I don’t think anyone wants “full” dps from it, just the possibility to do decent damage if specced for it, with some side healing. No healer spot should handicap the party to the extent that they are effectively losing a whole player’s worth of damage.

A healer elite should allow for “combat medic” play, whereby a dps character can switch into it for some support heals while primarily spending time dealing damage and getting stuck into the fight. Even a guardian can spec to break heads and still be a strong credit to their team via heals and boons.

Well, the combat medic role is easily filled with the aforementioned Guardian-you could have played him/her like that since game release. No doubt you’ll be able to do similarly with Druid, though even Full Magi (which I wouldn’t do myself) is able to do some damage, so the “loss of a complete character’s worth of damage” is quite a bit of an exaggeration (much like the misuse of the “viable” word, etc.)

No offense-just carry on if you disagree.

in Ranger

Lettuce.2945

Not bad. I ran a different set up though that’s more cc heavy (entangle trait) and didn’t run staff but I ran 2 glyphs and 2 WS skills with stone signet. Longbow and s/d here. Different traits as well.

@Chaos Archangel

When I played my druid…I rarely used cele state at all. The only times I ever used it was to remove a crap ton of condis on me when I ran out of removals or when I was super low health which was rare with my set up. Other than that, I just used regular longbow and s/d skills with heavy glyph cc’s and entangle trait and some solid kiting. You’ll be more than fine that way…Especially when they introduce new pets aka the OP smokescale. Your video kinda looks boring but that’s mainly because of the build you went with. Try theorycrafting more for a dps focused build with heavy cc and you’ll fall in love with druid if you figure it out.

(edited by Lettuce.2945)

in Ranger

Chaos Archangel.5071

Theres a lot of people replying to this thread that kind of misunderstand (or didn’t read) my OP.

I wanted to pick up Druid because I WANTED to play a strong healer

That’s the whole draw for me. I was interested in Druid on reveal, but after playing the spec there’s nothing there that would make me want to build for anything other than support. I’m not saying that I CANT build otherwise, but I really didn’t want to.

As for gameplay, here.. I was running Druid/Nature Magic/ and uh.. Whatever traitline has the sword x_x

And the class didn’t feel bad, or weak or anything like that… Just kind of dull in a “spam everything in astral mode, spam nearly everything on staff” kind of way.

in Ranger

Levetty.1279

As for gameplay, here.. I was running Druid/Nature Magic/ and uh.. Whatever traitline has the sword x_x

Skirmish? Weird choice.

Swap that out for Beastmaster and swap crow for Owl or Eagle. Won’t fix your problem with Druid but it will be a better build.

in Ranger

Chaos Archangel.5071

Skirmish? Weird choice.

Swap that out for Beastmaster and swap crow for Owl or Eagle. Won’t fix your problem with Druid but it will be a better build.

Beastmastery! I had tried skirmishing first but moved on to BM.. Not sure if the clip reflects that since my rather lousy pet management wouldn’t reflect it one way or the other.

What does the owl offer?

in Ranger

Posted by: Lazze.9870

Lazze.9870

Marksmanship is NOT viable. A dumb ranger goes marksmanship. And that’s the truth. You can duel me on your weak marksman build versus my version and bam, the superiority of my build will be clearer to you.

Obviously. Remorseless builds aren’t viable duel builds at all.

Either he is running a non-meta build with MM, or he is on the metabandwagon using the WS/NM/BM build. Make up your mind already.

in Ranger

StickerHappy.8052

Marksmanship is NOT viable. A dumb ranger goes marksmanship. And that’s the truth. You can duel me on your weak marksman build versus my version and bam, the superiority of my build will be clearer to you.

Obviously. Remorseless builds aren’t viable duel builds at all.

Either he is running a non-meta build with MM, or he is on the metabandwagon using the WS/NM/BM build. Make up your mind already.

False. Remorseless Duel Builds Are Viable. You can Ask lettuce himself.

in Ranger

Posted by: Lazze.9870

Lazze.9870

False. Remorseless Duel Builds Are Viable.

Isn’t the irony obvious enough?