Deadeye Mark Change (Proposal For You Anet)

in Thief

Posted by: AikijinX.6258

AikijinX.6258

I would like to propose a suggestion in terms of Deadeye’s Mark. Our new F1 ability. I see the concept anet was going for, but I just can’t wholeheartedly agree with the final outcome, because giving your enemy a heads up or “tell” goes against all that a Thief is and is supposed to be. We’re Sly, Sneaky, and Stealthy.

Why would we want our enemies to know when we have them marked and targeted?
In the real world why would ANYONE have someone in their scope, and yell to their mark “Hey I’ve got you targeted so becareful!” If you are big game hunting, or even just deer hunting, why would you stand up flaring your arms in your little deer hunting barrack, then take a shot, in hope of the deer being so kind as to stay still while you murder it. (If it didn’t run away already from the flaring of the arms)

Like i said, I understand the concept, but I feel as though, it will be detrimental to Deadeye thieves in the long run, in terms of WvW, and PvP (If you just so happen to be so daring in PvP). I propose that the DeadEye Mark remain as is, but only be visible to the User casting the skill. We can think of the mark in terms of real life, as a Red Dot gun upgrade on someone’s head. I also like to think of the mark as a contract. Basically putting a bounty on someone’s head, and the person not knowing they’re being hunted.

I know this suggestion has probably been floating around people’s head and probably been dragged around the idea and discussion table at Arena Net, so I decided to articulate the thought and solution that’s on everyone’s mind. I implore you Anet to reconsider this nuisance of a mark. Especially in the midst of this new OP Spellbreaker elite spec and the many other Promising ones.

Thank You for hearing me, please feel free to discuss.. and bump.

Maguuma
AikijinX- [Mada] [MILF] [HUNT] 7.3k Thief Hours
Defend Your Back

(edited by AikijinX.6258)

in Thief

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

Yeah u make some good points, it does suck giving up that tell to someone

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

in Thief

Posted by: Wargameur.6950

Wargameur.6950

I’m not against it as it provides as much counterplay as oportunities. If the mark is visible to your enemies, it is also visible for your allies. A traited mark visible to everyone is equivalent to the following message " I ripped boons, applied poison, probably interrupted that guy…Go for it ! ". As for enemies it pretty much tell them to provide support because that marked guy is vulnerable.

It’s another way to control the flow of fights ( which I believe is thief main appeal ).

Btw the concept is not new, necromancer’s mark have the same mechanic. You know the all allies attacking a foe steal life from that foe.

main ~ Esper Jace (Thief )/ Ellundril Jiluan
(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

(edited by Wargameur.6950)

in Thief

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

When DrD spec came out there was a number of things I thought would not work. As example I thought the cleanse on evade should allow multiple cleanses in a single evade if multiple evades made (ie no ICD) . I though the GM traits dodges were ok but should be selectable in combat to make up for the charge tht they were in fact “just dodges” and not in fact a GM trait.

I was wrong . DrD line came out requiring little in the way of changes. As such I prefer to keep a wait and see attitude towards the new spec. With respect to MARKS I kind of like that the target will KNOW he being stalked. If he engaged or not you might use it as a ploy to help bait the target into using blocks or other defenses in anticipation of that big attack and as stated above could help direct teamates to a vulnerable target.

Remember , that while this acts as a tell in some regards, it very long lasting and the person singled out can never predict just when it is you are going to use your big attack over your normal attacks. If using Rifle you likely too far for him to see the tells of your own weapon so as to dodge that big attack and if you close up with melee weapons, that mark does little in reality as he knows he already fighting with you.

(edited by babazhook.6805)

in Thief

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

Perhaps the mark should only become visable to the player that is marked once they take damage from the deadeye that placed that mark.

in Thief

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

There would be no counterplay if they couldn’t see the mark.

Given the fact the snipe will already likely have a > 1.0 coefficient, we’re looking at a legitimate sniper build attacking for >20k at 1500 while removing boons, applying conditions, and dealing damage.

in Thief

Posted by: AikijinX.6258

AikijinX.6258

Given the fact the snipe will already likely have a > 1.0 coefficient, we’re looking at a legitimate sniper build attacking for >20k at 1500 while removing boons, applying conditions, and dealing damage.

While being reflected back at you or damage absorbed in the process while giving this mark.

Maguuma
AikijinX- [Mada] [MILF] [HUNT] 7.3k Thief Hours
Defend Your Back

in Thief

Posted by: TwiceDead.1963

TwiceDead.1963

I’m not against it as it provides as much counterplay as oportunities. If the mark is visible to your enemies, it is also visible for your allies. A traited mark visible to everyone is equivalent to the following message " I ripped boons, applied poison, probably interrupted that guy…Go for it ! ". As for enemies it pretty much tell them to provide support because that marked guy is vulnerable.

It’s another way to control the flow of fights ( which I believe is thief main appeal ).

Btw the concept is not new, necromancer’s mark have the same mechanic. You know the all allies attacking a foe steal life from that foe.

Pretty much this. The most important thing they’d have to include if they wen’t with the sniper-spec route(which they did), is to include a fair opportunity for targets to make a counter-play against the onslaught of “ranged-burst out’a nowhere” they’d face.

in Thief

Posted by: JonnyForgotten.4276

JonnyForgotten.4276

Don’t know. . . kind of like the idea of marking a target in WvW and watching them panic-run in circles trying to avoid the burst. . . also, yeah, if it wasn’t a visible mark I think it would be way OP judging by the effects it seems like it will have. This is an MMO, not a shooter. We aren’t playing for realism, we are playing a super high-tech action version of figurines on a tabletop, so built-in counterplay is desirable.

in Thief

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

While being reflected back at you or damage absorbed in the process while giving this mark.

Basilisk venom makes the shot unblockable and thus cannot be reflected. The DE elite is next to worthless on rifle considering the kit already has permanent stealth for the initial attack and 1500 range to prevent death via cleave.

Or just follow-up with a double-damage backstab instead of camping rifle and laugh when you stab for 25k through their proj deflect.

in Thief

Posted by: Caeledh.5437

Caeledh.5437

We can tell when enemy snipers in the game have us targetted.

Why would Deadeye’s Mark be any different?

in Thief

Posted by: Game of Bones.8975

Game of Bones.8975

Give them a month of actual game-play to see how the mechanic plays out in WvW, PvP, raids, fractals, and PvE before a major change comes into effect.

Real life plays little into MMORPGs and for good reason.

I think the first shot should be a “free-bie” and then the PC, NPC, or monster knows it’s being targeted by a sniper. Maybe even the first shot, getting dialed in, does half damage, but causes cripple or confusion or immobilize.