Human male Daredevil animations

in Thief

Posted by: NaXorb.9732

NaXorb.9732

I don’t know about other races and sexes, but I feel like some of the human male animations of the daredevil could be executed much better.
Specifically:
Weakening charge – the entire animation where the character stops, holds the staff out in one hand and just spins (while the legs don’t move at all) looks… for the lack of a better word, dumb. I think this one needs a new animation the most. Perhaps something more fitting would be a shorter version of warrior’s whirlwind attack.

Debilitating arc – this abilities’ animation is just a fast Staff strike (staff#1) + dodge roll. For an ability that get your character out of immobilizing effects and evading attacks while striking opponents, the current animations just seems uninspired (and it looks lazy on the animator’ part)

Vault – I understand that they were going for the pole-vaulting theme here, but the way your character just suddenly flies feet-first into the air while their staff is behind them is really silly (unless daredevils are secretly practitioners of the force). just adjusting the beginning of the animation a bit to make it look more realistic would be great.

Lotus training dodge – the way the character spins makes no sense, it doesn’t look appealing or practical for throwing multiple daggers at enemies. Perhaps something more dynamic, more Death blossom-like (dagger#3) would be better.

The devs did an amazing job for the 3rd chain of the Staff AA, Punishing strikes, and I’d like for the other skills’ animation to be brought up to par.

Edit: also, the entire weakening charge animation is just a rehashed version of an Ele focus animation…

(edited by NaXorb.9732)

in Thief

Posted by: A bitz.3825

A bitz.3825

I completely agree with everything you said. Specially weakening charge, that animation looks like a place holder animation before you make the good one. It’s the elementalists air focus ability slowed down and sliding the character forward…. very poor animation.

Lotus training is also a very bad one. Paying close attention they are throwing their body from left to right but the right leg is the one thats bent? what wait….its just very unnatural for a human flip.

The asura have the best lotus training animation though in my opinion but even it has a problem of ending the animation like half a frame way to early and feels cheapened. Here’s to hoping one day they adjust it to be more “fluid”. Cheers.

in Thief

Posted by: NaXorb.9732

NaXorb.9732

I completely agree with everything you said. Specially weakening charge, that animation looks like a place holder animation before you make the good one. It’s the elementalists air focus ability slowed down and sliding the character forward…. very poor animation.

Lotus training is also a very bad one. Paying close attention they are throwing their body from left to right but the right leg is the one thats bent? what wait….its just very unnatural for a human flip.

The asura have the best lotus training animation though in my opinion but even it has a problem of ending the animation like half a frame way to early and feels cheapened. Here’s to hoping one day they adjust it to be more “fluid”. Cheers.

Now that you mention it, yes, the entire weakening charge animation is just a rehashed version of an Ele focus animation. I mean, really?! And it’s been like that since the launch of HoT. I hope the devs change it and soon.

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

You’re a bit late to the party…

DD animations weren’t exactly well received from what I can remember.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Posted by: TwiceDead.1963

TwiceDead.1963

Animation change? From Anet??

Only if you’re a Ranger with a broken auto-attack.

in Thief

Posted by: TheSwede.9512

TheSwede.9512

We only got a handful new and unique Characters animations with HoT and Elite Specs.

Daredevil’s Staff #1 and #5 (#3 Technically counts, but it’s sort of a cop-out so not gonna count it.) They also got Fist Flurry/Palm Strike, Bandit’s Defense and the Impact Strike Combo, besides the 3 unique Dodge Animations.
Revenant’s got a unique animation on Hammer #1, Staff #1/#3/#5 and Sword #3. They also got Chaotic Release with Glint.
Scrapper got Hammer #3.
Reaper got Greatsword #2 and Reaper’s Shroud #2.
Berserker got Sundering Leap and Headbutt.

Rest got nothing. Daredevil actually got the most unique animations on the simple virtue of getting Physical Skills as their Elite Spec Utility Skills, and their Dodge animations.

Bear in mind, I’m only counting Character Animations here where the PC performs a unique movement, not effect animations such as Berserker’s Blaze Breaker or Chronomancer’s Wells.

ADDENDUM: Curiously enough, Norn Female thief has a different Vault Animation compared to humans. They leap straight up, spinning the staff overhead, before flipping into the vault mid-air as they come crashing down. Definitely preferable to the human one in my oppinion.

Warrior – Wardancer | Guardian – Lorekeeper | Revenant – Vindicator |
Thief – Duelist | Ranger – Strider | Engineer – Technician |
Elementalist – Spellweaver | Necromancer – Warlock | Mesmer – Trickster |

(edited by TheSwede.9512)

in Thief

Posted by: Wargameur.6950

Wargameur.6950

We made an entire thread about animations during the beta. We had very good propositions in this thread and we got some new animations from the devs.

I suppose we won’t get new ones if it doesn’t impact the gameplay…

main ~ Esper Jace (Thief )/ Ellundril Jiluan
(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

in Thief

Posted by: martin.1653

martin.1653

People play human male characters when human female meta is so strong? Mind blown.

in Thief

Wargameur.6950

People play human male characters when human female meta is so strong? Mind blown.

I know right ? My biggest mistake when doing my first character ^^

(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

in Thief

Posted by: TwiceDead.1963

TwiceDead.1963

I don’t regret it.

in Thief

Posted by: martin.1653

martin.1653

I don’t regret it.

I had the same mindset. Then I realised I could be looking at nice pair of virtual bo0bs instead of a guy that looked like his face went through plastic many times.

in Thief

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

I found the animations lackluster on human. Originally started with Asura but as you mentioned the Lotus Training one always bugged me it feels like it’s cut short.. not fluent/smooth. Now I’m playing Charr and having an absolute BALL; their animations are favourable so I think I’ll be playing my Charr for a while.

in Thief

Posted by: Doctor.1905

Doctor.1905

Just change your gender to female OP you will never regret it. This is a MMO dress up game.

in Thief

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

Try Dominator’s staff. I’m using staff on my (human male) revenant and love Bo with him. He got the Dominator’s skin and the animations looked crappy, tried it on my (human male) thief and all staff animations look awesome – in my opinion.

in Thief

Posted by: Corax.7381

Corax.7381

How are the animations on a male sylvari? I made a new Thief because of Daredevil, so it’s not too late to delete it and start over if necessary.

“Quaggan will kick your tail so hard it slaps you in the face!” – Willoo

in Thief

Wargameur.6950

The animation is smoother now. Space vault !

(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]