Is the ‘Kneel’ killing the Deadeye’s Rifle?

in Thief

Posted by: Game of Bones.8975

Game of Bones.8975

After playing both Demos and the Stress Test with the Deadeye, I found it was easier to ditch the rifle and go with my standard DD elite or use DE without a rifle due solely to the awkwardness of getting out of the kneel.

The simplest fix would be to allow any movement (W, A, S, D, or Space) key to remove action or dodge into another kneeling position.

Too many times a standing shot turns into an obstructed shot when a character kneels.

If movement doesn’t remove kneel, allow half movement speed in stealth to move into a more advantageous sniping position.

If the kneel action is here to stay as is, I just hope I can work around it.

in Thief

Posted by: Imperadordf.2687

Imperadordf.2687

Yup, maybe if we create tons of threads explains this, I hope they would change or re-work it.

Livia – Ring Of Fire

in Thief

Posted by: kash.9213

kash.9213

Kneel didn’t feel much different than crouching or prone in most first person shooters. The most trouble will probably come from switching between DE and the other builds often, where muscle memory wants those keys like Rifle 3,4, and 5 to do something else in regards to movement or function.

Kash
NSP

in Thief

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

Agreed. This is a “feels bad” issue, I get why they have it, but it will just never be a fun mechanic for players. Here’s my compromise suggestion:

If you use #5 to stand up, then it behaves like it currently does, no change there.

But if you hit a direction to move, you will instantly stand up and start moving, but you will impose a stack of Crippled on you, maybe only half a second, maybe a second, not a huge amount, but enough to slap you on the wrist a bit for getting up too quickly. This would help keep kneeling riflemen “less mobile,” but not make you completely immobile.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

in Thief

Posted by: Imperadordf.2687

Imperadordf.2687

Agreed. This is a “feels bad” issue, I get why they have it, but it will just never be a fun mechanic for players. Here’s my compromise suggestion:

If you use #5 to stand up, then it behaves like it currently does, no change there.

But if you hit a direction to move, you will instantly stand up and start moving, but you will impose a stack of Crippled on you, maybe only half a second, maybe a second, not a huge amount, but enough to slap you on the wrist a bit for getting up too quickly. This would help keep kneeling riflemen “less mobile,” but not make you completely immobile.

^^^^^^^ This guy is right.

You should make a post about this and explain it widely.

Livia – Ring Of Fire

in Thief

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Jump [Space] to get out of Kneel isn’t a lot to ask for.

Just look at that dramatic ultra epic and exciting leap from Kneel here
https://youtu.be/p8qYVQ9rNbA?t=40

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

in Thief

Posted by: Nitron.6405

Nitron.6405

Once you get used to it it’s quite easy to break kneel with weapon skill 5. I think it’s more just something people will have to learn to do.

in Thief

Posted by: Volrath.1473

Volrath.1473

so tell me, how am i suppose to choose in what direction i want to dodge roll if by pressing a direction key will get me out of kneel? do i have to use more initiative and waste time getting into stance again?

in Thief

Posted by: Spinex.3695

Spinex.3695

Did you guys ever play Star Wars Galaxies rifleman? Kneel and prone were very important for accuracy. I can see why people might think this is odd but I welcome this change, it’s quite nice to be able to just sit far away and shoot the hell out something.

in Thief

Posted by: Warrost.4895

Warrost.4895

Did you guys ever play Star Wars Galaxies rifleman? Kneel and prone were very important for accuracy. I can see why people might think this is odd but I welcome this change, it’s quite nice to be able to just sit far away and shoot the hell out something.

I never played galaxies, but were there as much projectile hate/denial and huge gapclosers?

in Thief

Ohoni.6057

so tell me, how am i suppose to choose in what direction i want to dodge roll if by pressing a direction key will get me out of kneel? do i have to use more initiative and waste time getting into stance again?

Yeah, I thought about that, but ultimately, to me, the convenience of being able to walk again by pressing a direction is more important than the ability to dodge roll without getting up. Maybe this could be a menu optional command, so that players that are fine with the existing method could continue to use it, like the alternate ground targeting systems.

I don’t mind the kneel mechanic itself, I just find it very clunky to use. I’d like a more intuitive option for un-kneeling than hitting 5 again.

done by now.”

in Thief

Posted by: Llethander.3972

Llethander.3972

I actually wouldn’t mind jump being used to move DE out of kneel. Give an alternative option such that skill 5 OR jump could be used. It’s not like jump does anything whilst kneeling, after all.

in Thief

Posted by: Luto.1938

Luto.1938

I totally agree with this. Kneel feels like a clunky mechanic and it’s only because you need to press the action again to cancel it. If the movement keys would cancel the ability it would feel so much more fluid. I would love love love to see this change.

Luto Locke
Twitch Stream

in Thief

Posted by: PsiQss.6927

PsiQss.6927

Well I for instance think it’s necessary that wsad keys doesn’t break kneel – thanks to this you’re able to perform a directional evade and shoot immediately, without having to kneel again.
But standing up with jump key seems reasonable

in Thief

Posted by: Llethander.3972

Llethander.3972

Yeah, WASD can’t break kneel otherwise you’d only ever be able to dodge roll backwards without having to waste initiative to kneel again. Jump makes way more sense.

in Thief

Posted by: Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497

Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497

Kneel isn’t really killing it for me. But it feels awkward as all hell to stand.

I totally agree with this. Kneel feels like a clunky mechanic and it’s only because you need to press the action again to cancel it. If the movement keys would cancel the ability it would feel so much more fluid. I would love love love to see this change.

Why do people keep asking for the movement keys to cause the standup when you need the movement keys to choose a direction to move when you roll.

This is why some people are asking for [JUMP] to be another action to break the kneel.

in Thief

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

This is obviously working as intended and doesn’t need to be fixed.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in Thief

Ohoni.6057

Just because something is working as intended, doesn’t mean that what’s intended is what people want.

done by now.”

in Thief

Warrost.4895

Just because something is working as intended, doesn’t mean that what’s intended is what people want.

Since when Anet listen what the community wants?

in Thief

Posted by: nopoet.2960

nopoet.2960

The current iteration of steal took a lot of time to get where it is. I get the impression that they will need to play around with rifle until it gonna feel right but dodging should most definitely break kneel. Free Action then would only be used when not under pressure so they could drop the condition clear and give you a short burst of swiftness so you can re-position yourself instead.

in Thief

Ohoni.6057

Intermittently.

done by now.”

in Thief

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

Since when has the community wanted anything other than to DESTROY ALL ENEMIES with minimum effort?

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in Thief

Warrost.4895

Since when has the community wanted anything other than to DESTROY ALL ENEMIES with minimum effort?

Since when has the major part of the community find excuses for anets poor and lazy community/update/fixing policy?