[Old Beta] Pistol offhand skill 4

in Thief

Posted by: AikijinX.6258

AikijinX.6258

Let’s not all forget that back in the day of beta demo’s P/P, D/P, S/P Skill 4 (Blackpowder) used to have a leap backwards and it was an evade.

I want to make a petition to bring that back, to revitalize the x/p lovers out there. It did very good for mobility purposes and made game play with X/P less clunky. I feel as though now with the new specialization , P/P thieves will have an easier time fighting, moving, maneuvering out of danger and harms way. Not just stand in place and cast 3. Or bound+BP+ unload (sneak attack) with such mundane redundancy.

I would like ANET to seriously consider bringing back the leap backwards on (current)skill 4 , while maintaining (current) black powders skill function. Even if you take away the evade frame from skill 4, the leap backwards would still be really attractive to bring back.

Thoughts people?

Edit: Here’s the link to the demo video. https://youtu.be/Wv6mCOo2k5k
Go to 1:25 in the video to skip the slow beginning.

Maguuma
AikijinX- [Mada] [MILF] [HUNT] 7.3k Thief Hours
Defend Your Back

(edited by AikijinX.6258)

in Thief

Posted by: Vornollo.5182

Vornollo.5182

Headshot, you mean.
I can see how it’s useful for P/P, but for S/P and D/P it’d work rather counteractive in my opinion. As melee oriented sets they may often not benefit of being pushed backwards by a skill that sees a lot of use (regardless of Pulmonary Impact, plenty of skills require interrupting), I know I’d get annoyed real quick in PvP, lol.
So unless they could make it so that it only works for P/P, I’d be against the idea.

[PUSH] Constant Pressure

in Thief

AikijinX.6258

Headshot, you mean.
I can see how it’s useful for P/P, but for S/P and D/P it’d work rather counteractive in my opinion. As melee oriented sets they may often not benefit of being pushed backwards by a skill that sees a lot of use (regardless of Pulmonary Impact, plenty of skills require interrupting), I know I’d get annoyed real quick in PvP, lol.
So unless they could make it so that it only works for P/P, I’d be against the idea.

Don’t get confused. I don’t know if you played beta. But skill 4 was formally known as blackpowder, while skill 5 was headshot.

But while I see your point in how it could potentially be counter active, I still believe there will be a lot of new skill development and rotations that could go form, although it would be heavy on initiative. I could give you examples of rotations for each weapon set, if you cannot visually or mentally think of the scenarios.

Thank you for your feedback and opinion (:!

Maguuma
Defend Your Back

in Thief

Posted by: Vornollo.5182

Vornollo.5182

Ah like that black powder. I never played in the beta, no.
And I’ve got no problem thinking of scenarios, rotations, general usage, upsides, downsides etc.
Which is exactly why don’t see a point to dig a pit for S/P and D/P for the sake of P/P. That’s pretty much what it comes down to.

[PUSH] Constant Pressure

in Thief

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

If I’m not mistaken it was redacted because people were stealthing on S/P and one-shotting others with P/W. Mind you, P/W had a much higher coefficient at the time, and Quickness was 100%. Also very redundant with HS. I can see it actually working with S/P without issue, though; the gap-increase enables a safe return/retreat location to combo into IS without needing to physically walk, making things quicker. Still, it doesn’t solve or really help woes with other kits. It likely ends up making things more difficult if you were going to try and fix everything afterwards.

The big follow-up regarding HS as well is that it begs the question of what to replace it with. It can’t really be utility, because D/P already has so much, and D/D has so much low-function utility, nor can it really be damage… because then D/P also gets overloaded between the AA, backstab, Shadowshot, and this new skill. Not to mention then D/x is likely also out of a gap close at that point, which is pretty huge.

Without a big rework to a lot of the skills in general, this idea may contradict too much in the game already. Not so much out of overpowered-ness issues, but because of it further invalidating other kits indirectly.

Granted, touching any weapon skills on the thief right now is mostly going to require the same treatment.

(edited by DeceiverX.8361)

in Thief

AikijinX.6258

If I’m not mistaken it was redacted because people were stealthing on S/P and one-shotting others with P/W. Mind you, P/W had a much higher coefficient at the time, and Quickness was 100%. Also very redundant with HS. I can see it actually working with S/P without issue, though; the gap-increase enables a safe return/retreat location to combo into IS without needing to physically walk, making things quicker. Still, it doesn’t solve or really help woes with other kits. It likely ends up making things more difficult if you were going to try and fix everything afterwards.

The big follow-up regarding HS as well is that it begs the question of what to replace it with. It can’t really be utility, because D/P already has so much, and D/D has so much low-function utility, nor can it really be damage… because then D/P also gets overloaded between the AA, backstab, Shadowshot, and this new skill. Not to mention then D/x is likely also out of a gap close at that point, which is pretty huge.

Without a big rework to a lot of the skills in general, this idea may contradict too much in the game already. Not so much out of overpowered-ness issues, but because of it further invalidating other kits indirectly.

Granted, touching any weapon skills on the thief right now is mostly going to require the same treatment.

I’m glad I got your input. Yeah S/P definitely did have an advantage while running with the functioned #4 skill at the time. Yeah P.W + quickness was literally a 1 shot..( oh the memories). And now that you put it into perspective, I can see how certain Thief sets would be over powered, with that much utlity and DPS in one set. But all i can really think about it comparing that OP’ness to a revenant, or zerker warrior. There’s literally little to no sacrifices that need to be made for those classes to prosper. But you could rebuttal and say i’m going off topic and talking about the class/specialization instead of the weapon sets themselves.. I typed up a whole argument, but just deleted it. It would just get into a (this class is OP, with counter arguments about why they’re not) kind of thread.

Maguuma
Defend Your Back

in Thief

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Again, not so certain it’d be so much as overpowered but rather leave little room for other kits.

So for example you get stealth potential built into BP or Headshot, which then invalidates the use of Heartseeker for stealth, making it redundant for D/P. Then there’s an argument of changing Heartseeker to not be redundant for D/P’s sake. But if you change it, D/D ends up with no gap close. And if you make it a better gap close in the name of D/D that isn’t just a leap, it’s redundant with Shadow Shot on D/P. And Shadow Shot doesn’t make sense without a pistol, so it’s not like it could just be moved to Dagger 2, even though this is probably the best handling of it on a purely mechanical level (although it’d need a nerf either from the blind or damage to make sense, too).

Ends up being very cyclical in a who’s-who for what weapons should take precedence or how much overlap should be allowed. Without major reworks of all of the weapons I’m not sure this idea is feasible to implement in a way that is fair to every kit in the end, while also keeping kits diverse, while also keeping the different kits balanced in general.

(edited by DeceiverX.8361)

in Thief

Posted by: CreedOfGod.9764

CreedOfGod.9764

Not really a huge fan to the idea of /p getting a buff, since it is already very strong(I would prefer /d getting buffed for build diversity). However if they added a slight back roll like staff 3, it would increase the animation preventing headshot spam, which is something I think is very needed. As long as they bring other thief weapons up to par then I would be all for the change.

~Ghost Ren~
Stay Low. Move Fast. Kill First. Die Last.