Please teach me how to fight a Daredevil

in Thief

Posted by: EremiteAngel.9765

EremiteAngel.9765

Hi guys.
I recently did a thread on how to fight a Reaper in WvW and I thought it was quite helpful to many roamers out there.
I’m hoping to hear from Daredevils and other classes on how to fight different Daredevil builds in such a large WvW roaming setting where the world is free for a Daredevil to roam and usually a Daredevil can only be killed if he over commits or gets chased by another Daredevil.

Tips on what to look out for, what to dodge or defend against, what are the windows to land a burst, what utilities to use, what traits etc.

I’ll compile the tips for each class on how to fight a Daredevil in this main thread here. Thanks in advance!

The main post was getting too long so I created separate posts for each class. All linked below – just click to go to the class you want to see!

• Chrono vs Daredevil tips

See here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Please-teach-me-how-to-fight-a-Daredevil/first#post6583207

• Berserker vs Daredevil tips

See here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Please-teach-me-how-to-fight-a-Daredevil/first#post6583209

• Reaper vs Daredevil tips

See here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Please-teach-me-how-to-fight-a-Daredevil/first#post6583210

• Druid vs Daredevil tips

See here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Please-teach-me-how-to-fight-a-Daredevil/first#post6583212

• Revenant vs Daredevil tips

See here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Please-teach-me-how-to-fight-a-Daredevil/first#post6583193

• Scrapper vs Daredevil tips

See here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Please-teach-me-how-to-fight-a-Daredevil/first#post6583213

• Dragonhunter vs Daredevil tips

See here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Please-teach-me-how-to-fight-a-Daredevil/first#post6583190

• Daredevil vs Daredevil tips

See here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Please-teach-me-how-to-fight-a-Daredevil/first#post6583214

• Tempest vs Daredevil tips

See here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Please-teach-me-how-to-fight-a-Daredevil/first#post6583216

• General tips

See here 1: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Please-teach-me-how-to-fight-a-Daredevil/page/2#post6584331

See here 2: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Please-teach-me-how-to-fight-a-Daredevil/page/2#post6594858

Scourge Demo Weekend Roaming Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsby6rYkxS8

(edited by EremiteAngel.9765)

in Thief

Posted by: K THEN.5162

K THEN.5162

Alt f4 seems to do the trick for me

Elementally Challenged Asuran Roamer

in Thief

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

Use a ranged weapon. And STAND STILL when you fire it! If you stand still it will automatically turn you and activate no matter how many times they get behind you.

Other than that…. learn to chain ur dodges, watch ur surroundings, anticipate when they break stealth and dodge the initial blows. Don’t chase them, don’t try to outsustain them or wait out their rotations. Also keep in mind they have a block most of them take that has only a 12sec cd or something…so proc ur unblockable if u have one when they put their fists up.

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

in Thief

Posted by: Warcry.1596

Warcry.1596

I can help if as a Necromancer.

I don’t know why, but calling them by their elite specialization just rubs me the wrong way.

As a Necro my favorite thing to fight is Thieves. They’re so squishy and you really only need to land one or two hits before your conditions finish them. Yes they evade a lot, but make sure you are using Spectral Armor too.

Dodge two Vaults, assuming they are using staff, and then understand that they used 12 Initiative. Should be easy from there.

“He shall make whole that which was torn asunder.
Restore that which was lost. And all shall be as one.”

in Thief

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Condi, condi and more condi is usually the way to go, with ranged obviously being easier than melee.

Seeing a thief burn to death while franticly teleporting all over the place is the best thing. Bonus points for downing them while they are stealthed. Dont just stomp them afterwards, stand there and slowly aa them to death. Jumping on the corpse or taking pauses to extend the suffering is optional.

in Thief

Posted by: Hitman.5829

Hitman.5829

Just run, by not fighting them you are already a winner. Don’t waste your time trying to kill the thief because you will either be killed OR the thief will run away when health gets low and you will never catch him. in the end, you will always lose, you lost your time fighting him or you become a bag.

(edited by Hitman.5829)

in Thief

Posted by: Sviel.7493

Sviel.7493

Condi, condi and more condi is usually the way to go, with ranged obviously being easier than melee.

Seeing a thief burn to death while franticly teleporting all over the place is the best thing. Bonus points for downing them while they are stealthed. Dont just stomp them afterwards, stand there and slowly aa them to death. Jumping on the corpse or taking pauses to extend the suffering is optional.

I like to let them heal up to just a hair from full, then poke them gently. Or maybe walk away so they think I’m going to let them live, then shoot them once with a rifle. Anything to let them know they’re not welcome on my borderland…

in Thief

Posted by: DemonSeed.3528

DemonSeed.3528

Use a ranged weapon. And STAND STILL when you fire it! If you stand still it will automatically turn you and activate no matter how many times they get behind you.

Other than that…. learn to chain ur dodges, watch ur surroundings, anticipate when they break stealth and dodge the initial blows. Don’t chase them, don’t try to outsustain them or wait out their rotations. Also keep in mind they have a block most of them take that has only a 12sec cd or something…so proc ur unblockable if u have one when they put their fists up.

Is that with autotarget/snap to ground enabled or does it work without it?

in Thief

Posted by: Entenkommando.5208

Entenkommando.5208

Just run, by not fighting them you are already a winner. Don’t waste your time trying to kill the thief because you will either be killed OR the thief will run away when health gets low and you will never catch him. in the end, you will always lose, you lost your time fighting him or you become a bag.

You may be able to outrun a centaur… But not a daredevil.

R.I.P Kodasch Allianz [KoA]

All we wanted was a GvG.

in Thief

Posted by: Napo.1230

Napo.1230

Recipe to kill a daredevil.
2x pew pew rangers
4x any other class
Wait for one to die
Then cleave the DD while he tries to stomp.
If shadowstep is up, leave for another 5 mins and await more players to arrive and die.
Add salt in the form of corpse jumping.

But seriously you aren’t going to win vs a good DD.
Dodges for days and can literally go from bay to briar in a few seconds.
Just gotta hope he’s found someone squishier then you for his YouTube no scope montage

(edited by Napo.1230)

in Thief

Posted by: beatthedown.2651

beatthedown.2651

I play a semi-tanky GS burst Druid that could kill most Daredevils in one second when everything hits. It’s actually a crappy build against a good Thief since it’s very telegraphed.

What I learned after two months roaming with this build in different tiers is that 80% of the Thieves are really really bad. They get impatient fast, waste their shadowstep, rely on their block( unblockable tiger f2 ftw) or get carefree when I get outnumbered. Free kills for me. This class attracts so many bad players since you can reset fights or simply run away if you get outsustained.

Daredevil is still probably the best class suited for roaming and in the hand of an experienced player a deadly threat. A good way to kill them are bursty builds that have a ranged option to follow up. Add even more salt when you don’t use a skill until 10% HP and trash them immediately. Eat around 10 candy corns and puke on their corpse or equip the SAB metal boombox.

(edited by beatthedown.2651)

in Thief

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Roll druid with a staff/lbow smokescale/wolf setup. It’s not a guaranteed combi to win every fight with a daredevil but you surely going to annoy them.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

in Thief

Posted by: tym.3791

tym.3791

Eh, I dont mess with them solo. I play a PU mesmer, and I can disappear to. I use staff, scepter torch combo. As well I run condi, I can and will throw the conditions right back at them, use the torch to clear whatever conditions they throw at me, So depending on my mood, I may mess with them a bit, or simply stealth out, I throw one illusion, stealth, blink, and they will never find or catch me. I may not kill them, but in return, they will never kill or catch me either. Bet fighting me annoys the heck out of them.

in Thief

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

I like to let them heal up to just a hair from full, then poke them gently. Or maybe walk away so they think I’m going to let them live, then shoot them once with a rifle. Anything to let them know they’re not welcome on my borderland…

The things you describe here really does do only the antispocial scum of this game’s playerbase… sorry to say that … especially the act of jumping around on the dead corpse or the downed enemy player, which just wants to get back into play, just shows what a kind of non social person these kinds of players are.

Sad thing is, they are oftenly then the first people which freak out, if other enemy players do exactly that on them too when they are downed on the dirt and try to whisper the people all kinds of insults…

A player which has honor and respect just kills off the downed enemy quick and without such childish drama around the act of defeating an other player in a competitive game mode. Especially when the situation is clearly to your favor and you know exactly that the enemy has 0 chance to come back from downed state at all, due to being outnumbered or being hit by surprise with a powerful burst.

That kind of antisocial attitude that people are showing in competitive game modes like described here in the quotes is it, which makes me always think that PvP and WvW would be way better and more joyful to play, if Anet woudl just remove this Downed State nonsense from there and turn it into Instant Defeat the moment you lost all your Health.

That would quicken the battles also by alot and make them more interesting.
Sadly there is still then no solution for bad morality of players and acting like small kids that need to grow up, but that change would be at least a good start to make PvP/WvW a little bit better in its social aspects.

Its sometimes hard to be a good loser, but it is also alot easier to be a bad winner.

Something that some people should try to remember on more oftenly, when they play PvP/WvW.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

(edited by Orpheal.8263)

in Thief

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

For the general section here’s some advise

When a thief backs off, run in the opposite direction so they have to expend initiative or cool downs to re-engage. If you have a non damaging condition on you make sure to cleanse it as it can stop you getting ooc but the thief can get ooc.

@Orpheal, in my experience thief players are usually the ones that do that kind of stuff like jumping on corpses, spamming laugh emote and throwing seige. Not all thieves do but it’s more common with them and anyone else running cheesy low risk builds.

Check out Terrisimo’s stream, she is one incredibly salty thief especially when running a stealth camping build or one shot and run build. If you see the YouTube video they all cut out the saltiness to make out she isn’t but the stream shows it very well.

in Thief

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

The things you describe here really does do only the antispocial scum of this game’s playerbase… sorry to say that … especially the act of jumping around on the dead corpse or the downed enemy player, which just wants to get back into play, just shows what a kind of non social person these kinds of players are.

Sad thing is, they are oftenly then the first people which freak out, if other enemy players do exactly that on them too when they are downed on the dirt and try to whisper the people all kinds of insults…

A player which has honor and respect just kills off the downed enemy quick and without such childish drama around the act of defeating an other player in a competitive game mode. Especially when the situation is clearly to your favor and you know exactly that the enemy has 0 chance to come back from downed state at all, due to being outnumbered or being hit by surprise with a powerful burst.

That kind of antisocial attitude that people are showing in competitive game modes like described here in the quotes is it, which makes me always think that PvP and WvW would be way better and more joyful to play, if Anet woudl just remove this Downed State nonsense from there and turn it into Instant Defeat the moment you lost all your Health.

Sadly there is still then no solution for bad morality of players and acting like small kids that need to grow up, but that change would be at least a good start to make PvP/WvW a little bit better in its social aspects.

Its sometimes hard to be a good loser, but it is also alot easier to be a bad winner.

Something that some people should try to remember on more oftenly, when they play PvP/WvW.

Thats all fine and dandy but its invalidated by the fact you are fighting a daredevil.

in Thief

Napo.1230

90% of people who jump on my corpse etc are thief’s that have outnumbered me or waited for me to almost kill there friend then slip in for a low health backstab.
Therefor 90% of the people I return the favour to are thief’s.

As far as “honour” thief’s by class design lack it.
There sole purpose in pvp/wvw is to gank

I encourage anyone who kills a thief to enjoy it dance/laugh/jump till your hearts content

in Thief

Posted by: Jarettellis.7813

Jarettellis.7813

Coming from a primary Revenant WvW Roamer, it can be a very hard uphill battle versus a good Daredevil.

Two specs can deal with a daredevil, but it takes precise timing and watching for their mistakes. (all from fighting D/P thieves. Since those are most common to find)

Condi revenant: the amount of burn, confusion, torment, and poison you can pump out (using krait runes with mallyx). Wait for them to stealth, wait a second than bam hit elite and dump a ton of condis on them. Usually forces them to run.

Axe offhand is your best friend besides shield when fighting them. Temporal Rift is a one second pull that if timed correctly can disrupt a thief hard. Plus the torment will mess em up when they try to kite you.

Power Spec: Now this is a spec that you need to practice non stop and get used to dying a bit before you can get down rotations. (Condis will absolutely destroy you if you can not finish the condi user if first few seconds. Condi thief is different, bait out their condi burst, hit glint heal than spike them so hard they either run or die.)

1:Fighting a D/P: If you can see them use blackpowder, wait a second than use staff 5 in direction they most likely are coming from. (most thieves I’ve noticed when fighting a rev will just attack from the front thinking we are easy kills). If you see yourself go into combat (if not already in it) you legend swap, hit them for the hydromancy burst with the staff 5. You than start kiting around until they are not in stealth. (against common d/p thieves that combo usually one hit kills them.)

2: Warding rift is your best friend. If timed correctly you can negate a burst. But do not spam this skill.
3: If you are willing to take a hit, you can bait a thief (and they will take it unless they know your tag) while in sword, let them hit (usually they are in your character model) hit precision strike, elemental blast at same time. (swap to staff if you want for bigger burst with leeching/hydromancy). This can take a big chunk of their health.
4: As a power spec, its all comes down to luck sometimes, and hoping the thief just thinks of you as a free kill and overcommits.

Sorry about wall of text. Good luck and hope this helps some people

Vikings with Attitude (Zerk)

in Thief

Napo.1230

Good advice I’m slowly switching to a revenant main and thief’s definitely think we are free bags. I mostly am aswell, I feel like we really lack the tools to deal with them.

in Thief

Posted by: Arcaedus.7290

Arcaedus.7290

Assuming you’re talking roaming builds:

A DH, fighting/dueling a thief is one of the easier matchups but even still, a very good thief can beat a DH even if the DH is pretty skilled. If you are really having trouble, my best piece of advice is to bleed out as many of their utilities as possible by auto-attacking and using low CD skills. From there, lay on the burst after you count 3 to 4 dodges in a short time period (2 to 4 seconds). Save your JI until later in the battle when they try to shadowstep away and keep them in bow auto-attack range as often as possible.

Now then, fighting a thief as a DH may be easy but killing one is not. 9 times out of 10 they can escape you and if they’re experienced, they will escape you no matter what sort of combo you start the fight with. My most effective way to kill a thief has been deception: play dumb and then bomb hard. Start it in sword/x (preferably traited shield so you can absorb more damage off the initial burst) and pretend to not notice them go stealth. The moment you hear noise/see daze or stun effect on your screen, you know that the auto stunbreak trait will proc and negate basi venom so immediately use sword 3, target them, ToF and smite condition bomb. F1 to try to catch them after a panic dodge and pull them back through ToF. If they start running, switch to LB and chase them with JI and auto attacks.

in Thief

Posted by: DarkSoul.3792

DarkSoul.3792

As an ele i usually rely on using chills, knockdowns, stuns, or other cc that will limit their mobility. Also as ele make sure you have some sort of last resort button/proc ready (like having the trait for arcane shield or using arcane shield, mist form, armor of earth, etc). When they stealth, I feel it is the best if I stay moving and try to time their backstab attempts. Not sure if what I’m doing is optimal but it works well enough, interested to see what other eles/classes do. Really like the idea of the thread

Fort Aspenwood
Legends Never [DIE] / The Legacy [OBEY]
Main – Vexx Flamewalker (Tempest)

in Thief

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

In general, any low cooldown aoe/ cleave will help a lot regardless of what you are using.

As a DH:
Throw your spear at them and don’t pull. Most thieves already can recite a contingency plan for the infamous cast tons of traps-pull plan in their sleep. And then the DH realizes that they just burned their cooldowns to get the DD down to 26% but absolutely no way of finishing.

A lot of less good thieves will start to panic and hit all the buttons or outright break off. Sometimes the glassier ones will start to slowly burn down. At this point a lot of them will break off and the next time you come in when you actually do it. Also remember that smite condition does good damage so using your heal skill can be part of the final burst.

As an scrapperr:
You can turn the tables on them with sneak gyro. If they try to kill it, that’s your cue to use the reveal ability.

Condis are better vs thieves as it is difficult for you to really pursue them at all. Most scrapper builds taken out of a hat will generally stalemate a thief at worst. I prefer to use elixir gun and acid bomb so I can at least breakaway if other unsolicited people come in.

As a druid:
As one of the few classes whose mobility can rival them, you have a lot more control over the fight as a result. tl;dr let them come to you. If things go south, use the celestial shadow to make a clean getaway. Don’t just stand there and shoot them point blank though.

As a Daredevil:
Really depends on how they approach this. But note your steal gives you that stealth skill. That is often game changing so don’t waste it. Hard to say, but it often comes down to who wastes more stuff and leaves themselves open to a counterattack. This is especially evident if say, they waste their vault recklessly.

Typically speaking, a daredevil that attacks another DD is either an opportunist (evident), really good, or really stupid. This is on the knowledge that even with a skill gap on equal ground, the lesser thief can always disengage.

They’re usually pretty epic fights (more so if you’re using the same weapons) or really dumb (someone runs away, or you splat them in 0.2 seconds)

As a Herald:
I really don’t know. I just use whatever skill 2 is and pray.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

in Thief

Posted by: Turk.5460

Turk.5460

This thread is just chock full of salt. Some people just don’t understand how to play this game adequately. x3

-Fort Aspenwood- [UNIV] [TLC] [ShW]
-Sorrow’s Furnace-

in Thief

Posted by: Sarika.3756

Sarika.3756

This thread is just chock full of salt. Some people just don’t understand how to play this game adequately. x3

This comment is helpful how?

in Thief

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

Berserker – shield bash, head butt, lb F1, collect bag.

Really, nearly all thieves are predictable. Once you get familiar with how they play, its pretty simple to take them out. The smarter ones realize what is happening and run away. The few exceptional thieves are going to be a problem no matter what class you’re playing against them.

SBI

in Thief

Posted by: Turk.5460

Turk.5460

Its about as helpful as any other comment in this thread, aside maybe one or two. How about the very first one that says “Alt F4”? The fact that comments like that are then edited to be included into the OP’s post makes this whole thread a joke.

So again, this thread is mostly people that have some sort of issue. I forgot what it is…

A surplus of sodium chloride.

-Fort Aspenwood- [UNIV] [TLC] [ShW]
-Sorrow’s Furnace-

in Thief

Posted by: saerni.2584

saerni.2584

Specific builds I can give advice about. Thief generally…not so much. A lot comes down to what they are doing and relying on to survive/deal damage.

Northern Shiverpeaks (NSP)
Thief (Daredevil)
Commandant of Pistol-Dagger and Apex Predator

in Thief

K THEN.5162

Its about as helpful as any other comment in this thread, aside maybe one or two. How about the very first one that says “Alt F4”? The fact that comments like that are then edited to be included into the OP’s post makes this whole thread a joke.

So again, this thread is mostly people that have some sort of issue. I forgot what it is…

A surplus of sodium chloride.

But I’m serious :‘( :’( :’(

in Thief

Posted by: Warcry.1596

Warcry.1596

Noticing you’re updating your post and wanted to correct something:

I am using the Reaper specialization, your transcription of my advice assumes I am not.

I just don’t like when a Necromancer is called a “reaper”. If I wasn’t using Reaper specialization would I be considered “Curses”? Or Soul Reaping? or Spite?

That being said, Spectral Armor should always be on your bar in WvW and PvP anyway, regardless of your specialization lines chosen.

“He shall make whole that which was torn asunder.
Restore that which was lost. And all shall be as one.”

in Thief

Posted by: cptaylor.2670

cptaylor.2670

As someone that plays daredevil, though poorly, I can say that we’re kind of a one-trick class. I mean, a good daredevil/thief is usually going to win. You have some that are just insanely good at being able to constantly stay stealthed somehow or keep the opponent guessing as to where they are, some that miraculously regen health in a matter of seconds while they’re stealthed, and some that just hit like trucks and one shot you before you even get a reaction time.

I’ve found the hardest thing for me to fight is heavy condi classes, the meta infinite phantasm clone Mesmer that you can’t freaking track down because there’s so many clones you just give up and run somewhere else. (Although staff daredevil 2 whirl kills a lot of the clones before they can shatter which makes it easier.)

Warriors, because they’ll usually just regen all of their health before you’re able to kill them and you can’t do too much damage with them being heavy armor class.

Better thieves/daredevils and that’s usually because they’re better at maintaining stealth or timing when I use mine so they get the drop on me. But those are usually the most fun fights too.

Rangers. Rangers are the absolute worst. Depending on their build, stupid constant roots and pew pew pew pew from 50000000000 yards away.

Scrappers – the reveal and tankiness makes them kind of pointless to fight.

The easiest classes I have to fight them on is usually my burn dragonhunter because I can block them and watch my burns kill them before they even lay a hit on me. Necro, because condi and two healthbars.

I think even though there isn’t enough balance done in this game, the one good thing about the pvp aspect is that it really just boils down to player skill in most cases. Some classes are pretty broken like warrior and in a lot of cases necro, but if you find yourself not able to do well at a particular class, try a different build and playstyle/weapon set. That’s the best thing about this game is that some are significantly ineffective in pve but the wvw aspect opens up so many possibilities for different builds and ways to fight other players or counter them.

Anyway, rambling.

I would say to beat a thief, just roll a burn guardian with carrion stats and scepter/focus and sword/torch. It got me to gold in pvp which isn’t the greatest feet, but you pretty much have to press like 3 buttons and the other person is already dead from burn damage. lol It’s less effective in wvw because everyone runs condi cleanse and you only have that one condition, thieves don’t really have much burn condi removal.

A really good thief is going to beat any class/build, but the same can be said about all the others for the most part.

I had what I assume was a power/shatter mes kill me in like 2 seconds the other day, if that. I’m not even sure of the build because they were stealthed and I was dead before I even had time to react. Having played that build, I have no idea how they did so much freakin’ damage to me so fast.

in Thief

Posted by: Sviel.7493

Sviel.7493

I don’t jump on corpses, throw siege, laugh or dance. However, it’s my job to keep the fields clear and the supply lines open as much as possible. Therefore, the longer a slippery roamer spends bleeding out the easier my job gets.

Of course, it doesn’t hurt that I enjoy the show.

Anyway, as they say, there’s no honor among thieves.

in Thief

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

I agree with most in your post but not with this.
The game has changed ever since anet threw balance out of the window = in June 2015. It’s not downed state which is the problem, it’s the lack of balance. The player base has changed to face rolling zombies – and these are the people who like to corpse jump. Removing downed state would take this game down the brainless route even further – and we’re pretty far down the road already.

in Thief

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

Anyway, as they say, there’s no honor among thieves.

I’m a pretty honorable thief. Back in the day I never stomped players with whom I had good fights, but bowed and let them live.
And if anyone is a thief it’s me.

in Thief

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Berserker – shield bash, head butt, lb F1, collect bag.

Really, nearly all thieves are predictable. Once you get familiar with how they play, its pretty simple to take them out. The smarter ones realize what is happening and run away. The few exceptional thieves are going to be a problem no matter what class you’re playing against them.

Shield bash will be broken/blinded or dodged..headbutt can be easily dodged by em since a good thief waits for you to move and not the other way around,I mean in theory ive done the same vs bad thieves,but that combo will rarely work on a good one unless you had them use all their breaks and dodges somehow and can magically tell if improv has recharged one of those.

in Thief

EremiteAngel.9765

• Dragonhunter vs Daredevil tips

1) bleed out as many of their utilities as possible by auto-attacking and using low CD skills. From there, lay on the burst after you count 3 to 4 dodges in a short time period (2 to 4 seconds). Save your JI until later in the battle when they try to shadowstep away and keep them in bow auto-attack range as often as possible.

2) play dumb and then bomb hard. Start it in sword/x (preferably traited shield so you can absorb more damage off the initial burst) and pretend to not notice them go stealth. The moment you hear noise/see daze or stun effect on your screen, you know that the auto stunbreak trait will proc and negate basi venom so immediately use sword 3, target them, ToF and smite condition bomb. F1 to try to catch them after a panic dodge and pull them back through ToF. If they start running, switch to LB and chase them with JI and auto attacks.

3) Throw your spear at them and don’t pull. Most thieves already can recite a contingency plan for the infamous cast tons of traps-pull plan in their sleep. And then the DH realizes that they just burned their cooldowns to get the DD down to 26% but absolutely no way of finishing.
A lot of less good thieves will start to panic and hit all the buttons or outright break off. Sometimes the glassier ones will start to slowly burn down. At this point a lot of them will break off and the next time you come in when you actually do it. Also remember that smite condition does good damage so using your heal skill can be part of the final burst.

4) burn guardian with carrion stats and scepter/focus and sword/torch.

5) You guys have a lot of blocks, both active and passive and the scare-the-poop-out-of-anything spear of justice (whether or not you pull) and can stack on some wicked burn, which even if not traited, still does good damage to us. Traps will hurt us, especially if they hold us (we have little to no stability) and LB will help.

6) just play DH with Longbow and traps and you can literally roll your face across the keyboard and still win.

in Thief

EremiteAngel.9765

• Revenant vs Daredevil tips

1) Condi revenant: the amount of burn, confusion, torment, and poison you can pump out (using krait runes with mallyx). Wait for them to stealth, wait a second than bam hit elite and dump a ton of condis on them. Usually forces them to run.
Axe offhand is your best friend besides shield when fighting them. Temporal Rift is a one second pull that if timed correctly can disrupt a thief hard. Plus the torment will mess em up when they try to kite you.

2) Power Spec:
1:Fighting a D/P: If you can see them use blackpowder, wait a second than use staff 5 in direction they most likely are coming from. (most thieves I’ve noticed when fighting a rev will just attack from the front thinking we are easy kills). If you see yourself go into combat (if not already in it) you legend swap, hit them for the hydromancy burst with the staff 5. You than start kiting around until they are not in stealth. (against common d/p thieves that combo usually one hit kills them.)
2: Warding rift is your best friend. If timed correctly you can negate a burst. But do not spam this skill.
3: If you are willing to take a hit, you can bait a thief (and they will take it unless they know your tag) while in sword, let them hit (usually they are in your character model) hit precision strike, elemental blast at same time. (swap to staff if you want for bigger burst with leeching/hydromancy). This can take a big chunk of their health.
4: As a power spec, its all comes down to luck sometimes, and hoping the thief just thinks of you as a free kill and overcommits.

3) I really don’t know. I just use whatever skill 2 is and pray.

4) Staff and hammer can save you. Both can block those that constantly “headshot” which burns initiative fast, or those who use P/P “Unload” (this burns fast). You also have a reveal trick on hammer. Also Mallyx is deadly to a class that has good mobiliy. Also shiro has stun and a teleport that goes through walls.

in Thief

EremiteAngel.9765

• Chrono vs Daredevil tips

1) I dont mess with them solo. I play a PU mesmer, and I can disappear to.

2) Power chrono will have a harder time with a good teef compared to kitten cheese condi one. Evades on shatter, reflect on manipulation skills will help greatly. Don’t waste your stealth (when we stealth on BP, count to 5 then stealth yourself). Save blink for when we are in your face beating you down (or drop a portal before the fight if you run it). Also your condi build can destroy us (torment and confustion…teefs 2 favorite condis)…and tanky to boot.

3) Condi is the way to go.

4) Hybrid meta Chrono probably has better killing potential against a Thief because there’s more burst. Other condi builds not running Chaos will have a tough time without any protection. So hybrid Chrono is the way to go in my opinion.

in Thief

EremiteAngel.9765

• Berserker vs Daredevil tips

1) shield bash, head butt, lb F1, collect bag.

2) Your way to win is how every berserker wins every fight (regardless of class,lol)..that or play gunshot/gunflame and 1 shot the DD even when he is going stealthed.

in Thief

EremiteAngel.9765

• Reaper vs Daredevil tips

1) make sure you are using Spectral Armor

2) Dodge two Vaults, assuming they are using staff, and then understand that they used 12 Initiative.

3) a simple chill shout on a reaper that transfers one condi and is instant cast helps turn the fight against a Daredevil in many ways. I can use it to transfer weakness, blind or even fear and open up a lot more chances against a DD when using my Reaper.

4) Only true fire way to beat us is that 30 stack bleed in under 3s combo you condi builds use. Some of us will overextend as necros are typically easy targets. Anything that can hinder our speed is also an asset to you.

5)
1.) Play power GS + A/D with Suffer in Spite/SR/R. You’ll need Speed of Shadows.
2.) Read Shadow Shot’s animation and dodge.
3.) When they steal combo you just cast Suffer to return weakness cutting their crits and dodge refill rate + applying chill, then Shroud -> 3 -> 4 -> 3 while they’re in melee to force Shadowstep and BP or they die.
4.) Slight chase to keep them willing to attack you and then nuke the hell out of them post-Shadowstep via Axe 2. Most will try to escape via BP -> CV and will likely be too slow and get nuked from the Spinal Shivers proc at half which will corrupt their ToTC boons as well.
5.) They’ll panic-re-engage or try to stack stealth in BP + HS to flee so swap GS and 4 -> 5 -> Shroud 5 -> Shroud 4. GS4 will trap HtC in Acro, so Charge into Scythe if you need to. Lay on the heat.

6)
If you’re a condi reaper, put geomancy and hydromancy on your weapons and hit shroud as soon as he engages. Very difficult to avoid, you’ll have 6-9 stacks of bleeding on him just from that, and you’ll have broken basilisk venom with foot in the grave. I used to do the same thing on condi engi vs thieves: geomancy and intelligence with incendiary powder and plex runes. Swap on their engage, heal and pull for the finish.
Watch your life force and health, spam staff 2 where you’re stood to force him to waste dodges. Place staff 3 and 5 on the shadowstep return point if he uses it for distance.
Avoid spamming scepter auto. Thieves specced for interrupt damage will tear you a new one if you do, and you don’t need many condis to put serious pressure on once agility signet and shadowstep are on cooldown. If you land a blind, that’s when you can use elite shout etc to avoid being interrupt bait.
That, and always have full life force if possible. If I can waste it or chew through it with attacks too easily, that’s when necro becomes an easy kill. I probably can’t one shot you so if you force me to trade blows when I engage I will almost certainly come off worse.

7)
Video on how to fight condi-cleanse on evade Daredevils as a hybrid/condi reaper
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atlmCR6r7wA

in Thief

EremiteAngel.9765

• Druid vs Daredevil tips

1) Roll druid with a staff/lbow smokescale/wolf setup.

2) As one of the few classes whose mobility can rival them, you have a lot more control over the fight as a result. tl;dr let them come to you. If things go south, use the celestial shadow to make a clean getaway. Don’t just stand there and shoot them point blank though.

3) We HATE pewpew. 1500 range means even if we run you have the advantage so our best bet is to fight up close. If you have needle trap and/or wolf even better. Taunt is important but keep in mind if you root us, you gave us an opportunity for a max stealth off of BP. WH hawks are also a pain in our butts and with CA form, you guys became harder for us to kill.

in Thief

EremiteAngel.9765

• Scrapper vs Daredevil tips

1) You can turn the tables on them with sneak gyro. If they try to kill it, that’s your cue to use the reveal ability.
Condis are better vs thieves as it is difficult for you to really pursue them at all. Most scrapper builds taken out of a hat will generally stalemate a thief at worst. I prefer to use elixir gun and acid bomb so I can at least breakaway if other unsolicited people come in.

2) Condi cheese build hurts. For DPS, Hammer is the way to go. Damage blocks and reflects are crucial. Sneak gyro is also important as is Elixirs S. Thunderclap + rocket Charge (if hits) will almost down almost any of us not running dire/TB gear. If you use rifle, dont waste that leap thingy as that hurts us bad as well.

in Thief

EremiteAngel.9765

• Daredevil vs Daredevil tips

1) your steal gives you that stealth skill. That is often game changing so don’t waste it. Hard to say, but it often comes down to who wastes more stuff and leaves themselves open to a counterattack. This is especially evident if say, they waste their vault recklessly.

2) Its usually a matter on who gets the jump first. Steal works through Stun/Daze (although its not a breaker) so save it. Our stolen items can and will make or break the fight. Its a matter on who screws up first and gets caught. When 1 teef stealth from BP, count to 2 then stealth yourself. Remember tho that Backstab has a CD now to time it right.

3) Just whoever lands the first Steal + SS usually wins unless someone kittens up. ALL about the opening. Land your steal, dodge theirs, Pulm any heal/stealth attempts, done.

in Thief

EremiteAngel.9765

• Tempest vs Daredevil tips

1) As an ele i usually rely on using chills, knockdowns, stuns, or other cc that will limit their mobility. Also as ele make sure you have some sort of last resort button/proc ready (like having the trait for arcane shield or using arcane shield, mist form, armor of earth, etc). When they stealth, I feel it is the best if I stay moving and try to time their backstab attempts.

2) Ive beaten more tempest than eles (Earth/Water/Arcane). The AoE from tempest air OL and earth are crucial, however Arcane blasts are BRUTAL. The burst going into Air then arcaning us is lethal.

3)
- Tempest doesn’t scale well against Daredevil. Even by taking Harmonious Conduit, their steals will interrupt the Stability. In theory Tempest is good because it supplies AoEs which should counter a Thief, but unlike Dragonhunter, Overloads are really long channels which basically tell a Thief, “Interrupt me!”
- I tried running Fresh Air Tempest but it does not work. Fresh Air core ele is the best you can take.
- Your main attack will come from Air. Electric Discharge + Sigil of Air + Scepter 2 is generally what will do the big damage. Phoenix from Fire works pretty good too, just make sure your Phoenix is aimed at slightly behind your Thief if you can do that, since you may hit the Thief 5+ times with the skill (but it’s unlikely the Thief will take your Phoenix).
- As someone said above, you can use Arcane Blast for huge bursts. Electric Discharge + Sigil of Air + Lightning Strike + Arcane Blast is a deadly combo. It’s easy too.
- Contrary to popular belief, Lightning Flash is not necessary!! This is especially true if dueling a Thief who can teleport to you after wasting your LF. Thieves catch up to you no matter what so it’s best to have a stun breaker instead of LF. I would take Armor of Earth, Mist Form, and Arcane Blast or Arcane Shield.
- When swapping to Air attunement make sure the Thief isn’t dodging or blocking. Your attack will go right down the drain.

in Thief

EremiteAngel.9765

Hey all. I created separate posts for each class as the main post was too long. They are all linked in the main post. So keep the tips coming! Much thanks.

in Thief

Posted by: Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

So far, it feel a bit hopeless to play Tempest in your 2 threads about how to fight Reaper and DD…

in Thief

EremiteAngel.9765

So far, it feel a bit hopeless to play Tempest in your 2 threads about how to fight Reaper and DD…

That’s where I am hoping more experienced tempests or even thieves who fought good tempests can share their thoughts and hopefully help other tempests.

It is very insightful to learn how other players handle match-ups.
For example, I learned on the necro forum from other more experienced necros that by taking well of corruption, I have a chance to force a berserker on the backfoot and be more aggressive. This has helped me win a lot more. Previously I was just thinking of how many stun-breaks I should slot and was totally defensive minded.

I also learned that a simple chill shout on a reaper that transfers one condi and is instant cast helps turn the fight against a Daredevil in many ways. I can use it to transfer weakness, blind or even fear and open up a lot more chances against a DD when using my Reaper.

in Thief

Posted by: Bigpapasmurf.5623

Bigpapasmurf.5623

As a current teef main, Let me correct/clarify a couple of your points:

Berserker: Your way to win is how every berserker wins every fight (regardless of class,lol)..that or play gunshot/gunflame and 1 shot the DD even when he is going stealthed.

Necro: Only true fire way to beat us is that 30 stack bleed in under 3s combo you condi builds use. Some of us will overextend as necros are typically easy targets. Anything that can hinder our speed is also an asset to you.

Rev: Its no secret that the majority set up for teef is p/d and either staff or SB (I dont use sb or staff but thats me). Staff and hammer can save you. Both can block those that constantly “headshot” which burns initiative fast, or those who use P/P “Unload” (this burns fast). You also have a reveal trick on hammer. Also Mallyx is deadly to a class that has good mobiliy. Also shiro has stun and a teleport that goes through walls.

DH: You guys have a lot of blocks, both active and passive and the scare-the-poop-out-of-anything spear of justice (whether or not you pull) and can stack on some wicked burn, which even if not traited, still does good damage to us. Traps will hurt us, especially if they hold us (we have little to no stability) and LB will help.

Chrono: Power chrono will have a harder time with a good teef compared to kitten cheese condi one. Evades on shatter, reflect on manipulation skills will help greatly. Don’t waste your stealth (when we stealth on BP, count to 5 then stealth yourself). Save blink for when we are in your face beating you down (or drop a portal before the fight if you run it). Also your condi build can destroy us (torment and confustion…teefs 2 favorite condis)…and tanky to boot.

Druid: We HATE pewpew. 1500 range means even if we run you have the advantage so our best bet is to fight up close. If you have needle trap and/or wolf even better. Taunt is important but keep in mind if you root us, you gave us an opportunity for a max stealth off of BP. WH hawks are also a pain in our butts and with CA form, you guys became harder for us to kill.

Scrapper: Condi cheese build hurts. For DPS, Hammer is the way to go. Damage blocks and reflects are crucial. Sneak gyro is also important as is Elixirs S. Thunderclap + rocket Charge (if hits) will almost down almost any of us not running dire/TB gear. If you use rifle, dont waste that leap thingy as that hurts us bad as well.

Tempest: Ive beaten more tempest than eles (Earth/Water/Arcane). The AoE from tempest air OL and earth are crucial, however Arcane blasts are BRUTAL. The burst going into Air then arcaning us is lethal.

Teef: Its usually a matter on who gets the jump first (although most who jumped me ended up dead). Steal works through Stun/Daze (although its not a breaker) so save it. Our stolen items can and will make or break the fight. Its a matter on who screws up first and gets caught. When 1 teef stealth from BP, count to 2 then stealth yourself. Remember tho that Backstab has a CD now to time it right.

If any NA person wants to duel for practice, id be more than happy to help as I still need practice vs certain classes/builds.

- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/MC_Celestia
- I am currently a main thief roamer for SF in WvW. LOVE ME!
- {SOAP} Solo/Havoc roamer, lover of good fights

(edited by Bigpapasmurf.5623)

in Thief

Posted by: TheDarkSoul.1938

TheDarkSoul.1938

Eh, just play DH with Longbow and traps and you can literally roll your face across the keyboard and still win.

Anything with good long range pressure… so, basically Druid and DH. We don’t like not being able to kite away from your damage.

Good Scrappers have a pretty good matchup VS us I think.

Berserkers (if full melee) are… eh. Problem is you’re just so darn easy to kite and evade your key skills (Bursts, Shield Bash, HB, stuff like that). You pop Resistance? We just swap to SB and wait it out. You pop Endure Pain? Same deal, just kite it out and re-engage. If I kite you then you’re struggling to hit your Bursts which cripples your rejen even more. Yeah sure if you land a Burst then thats a pretty good chunk of my health gone… but good thieves won’t let you do that, lol. Idk, I always felt like Berserker was one of my easier matchups (unlesss you’re playing Condi, in which case, kitten you.)

Condi pretty much kills us. We have pretty lackluster cleanse considering most of us take Pulm instead of cleanse on dodge. Just put a few condis on us, wait for us to pop SoA/Shadowstep, or whatever, and then just save your real condi burst for after that. If they are using cleanse on evade, just…. don’t attack afterwards. I see very few people that actually do this: if you land your condi burst and then STOP attacking, there’s literally nothing I can do about it. I fought a Condi mesmer the other day who would just stow weapons every time he landed a burst on me and I melted pretty quick.

Tempest is dependant on how good the Tempest is I guess.

Thief mirror matches are kinda boring tbh. Just whoever lands the first Steal + SS usually wins unless someone kittens up. ALL about the opening. Land your steal, dodge theirs, Pulm any heal/stealth attempts, done.

Rev just isn’t a great matchup against Thief. Idk about condi because I don’t think I’ve ever fought a good one, lol.

If you play power Chrono then you’re basically just gonna lose unless you catch us totally off-guard and land the PERFECT burst. Power Chrono just isn’t great, particularly against Thief because we can reset and burst so much more often and reliably than you can. Condi is the way to go.

I mean in general? Interrupt 5-2 from D/P to leave us with no initiative, dodge the shot from SS and play through blinds, ALWAYS count the cd on Steal! It’s so so essential for us to land it that it can often decide the fight, so dodge it/invuln it, whatever, just make sure we don’t hit it. Count stealth as well, because the backstab nerf means we basically get one attempt to land it everytime we go Stealth so just count 2-3 seconds and then just hit dodge. Stow weapons when you’re not attacking (this goes for full melee builds in particular) instead of hitting AA into thin air because Pulm procs off interrupted AA as well. Make sure you hit your CC skills, bait out the stun breaks and then burst. Every time thief enters stealth, try to anticipate where he’s moving (this is actually easier to do than it sounds). Pressure the kitten out of him because Thieves hate being pressured, we don’t have the defenses to put up with it for long.

Don’t think there’s much else tbh.

Fissure Of Woe – [lpe]
I Silent – Thief
…. That’s about it.

in Thief

K THEN.5162

Eh, just play DH with Longbow and traps and you can literally roll your face across the keyboard and still win.

Anything with good long range pressure… so, basically Druid and DH. We don’t like not being able to kite away from your damage.

Good Scrappers have a pretty good matchup VS us I think.

Berserkers (if full melee) are… eh. Problem is you’re just so darn easy to kite and evade your key skills (Bursts, Shield Bash, HB, stuff like that). You pop Resistance? We just swap to SB and wait it out. You pop Endure Pain? Same deal, just kite it out and re-engage. If I kite you then you’re struggling to hit your Bursts which cripples your rejen even more. Yeah sure if you land a Burst then thats a pretty good chunk of my health gone… but good thieves won’t let you do that, lol. Idk, I always felt like Berserker was one of my easier matchups (unlesss you’re playing Condi, in which case, kitten you.)

Condi pretty much kills us. We have pretty lackluster cleanse considering most of us take Pulm instead of cleanse on dodge. Just put a few condis on us, wait for us to pop SoA/Shadowstep, or whatever, and then just save your real condi burst for after that. If they are using cleanse on evade, just…. don’t attack afterwards. I see very few people that actually do this: if you land your condi burst and then STOP attacking, there’s literally nothing I can do about it. I fought a Condi mesmer the other day who would just stow weapons every time he landed a burst on me and I melted pretty quick.

Tempest is dependant on how good the Tempest is I guess.

Thief mirror matches are kinda boring tbh. Just whoever lands the first Steal + SS usually wins unless someone kittens up. ALL about the opening. Land your steal, dodge theirs, Pulm any heal/stealth attempts, done.

Rev just isn’t a great matchup against Thief. Idk about condi because I don’t think I’ve ever fought a good one, lol.

If you play power Chrono then you’re basically just gonna lose unless you catch us totally off-guard and land the PERFECT burst. Power Chrono just isn’t great, particularly against Thief because we can reset and burst so much more often and reliably than you can. Condi is the way to go.

I mean in general? Interrupt 5-2 from D/P to leave us with no initiative, dodge the shot from SS and play through blinds, ALWAYS count the cd on Steal! It’s so so essential for us to land it that it can often decide the fight, so dodge it/invuln it, whatever, just make sure we don’t hit it. Count stealth as well, because the backstab nerf means we basically get one attempt to land it everytime we go Stealth so just count 2-3 seconds and then just hit dodge. Stow weapons when you’re not attacking (this goes for full melee builds in particular) instead of hitting AA into thin air because Pulm procs off interrupted AA as well. Make sure you hit your CC skills, bait out the stun breaks and then burst. Every time thief enters stealth, try to anticipate where he’s moving (this is actually easier to do than it sounds). Pressure the kitten out of him because Thieves hate being pressured, we don’t have the defenses to put up with it for long.

Don’t think there’s much else tbh.

To be fair though if a power Mesmer hasn’t 100-0 a thief with its burst when landing the burst then 1 of them has built… unconventionally

in Thief

Posted by: Fat Disgrace.4275

Fat Disgrace.4275

Just roll a thief and learn it’s gimmicks and tricks like we had to, may be you’ll understand then they are not so all powerful force like many people to claim. Seriously though, you can give people rips on paper but it’s always better to learn the practical way. Roll a thief go find someone to insta kill and then get beaten up hard.

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

gw1 – healing signet/frenzy/charge