So I see all this post about thief and ...

in Thief

Posted by: Ayurox.1069

Ayurox.1069

As the title says, im seeing alot of people complain about thiefs being Overpowered,

if you are playing a thief you already know that besides damage we dont really have anything else left, yes we can escape battles, but once we are locked on we are dead meat !!!

I see threads like Heartseeker is instant win, Heartseeker is way to easy etc … nerv this nerv that.

Maybe you guys should play other classes also before really starting to complain for nervs this much.

Pick a warrior for example : Superb Damage ( Bull’s Charge + Blade swing is instant dead !!!) even there survivability is quite nice

Mesmer in my opinion is really the most Overpowered class in the entire game, in the right hands you are dead meat, he will kite you all day while his clones dmg you and can heal / go invis quite alot of time

Engineers : im not seeing any post where people complain about this classes while they are really amazing hard

I will end by this as this is not my intention to call on other classes.

I know alot of ppl do think that Thief are OP, I must admit they really do dmg if you know how to play but thats all we got !!!

We cannot kite, we cannot survive long and we definitly need to be able to do something ingame isnt it else why not just delete the class !!!

in Thief

Posted by: Waterseer.7089

Waterseer.7089

Agreed, our high damage output is only thwarted by the fact that we are super-squishy.

in Thief

Posted by: Vargs.6234

Vargs.6234

Saying that we don’t offer anything but damage is ridiculous, unless you grab a mainhand dagger and just spam 2 all day. Our damage isn’t even that incredible. Admittedly out of the other classes I’m only super familiar with engineer, warrior, and ranger, but I can pretty much match or exceed the burst of the thief just fine on any of those classes, and absolutely exceed the thief’s sustained damage on any of those classes.

As far as I’m concerned the primary strength of the thief is how incredibly slippery we are. If you don’t wanna die, you don’t have to, and you can get around quite quickly.

in Thief

Posted by: Bazeleel.8219

Bazeleel.8219

Crt builds make me laugh 14k HP? No thank you id rather run with my 23k HP build and last for longer then 4 seconds.

in Thief

Posted by: watter.5170

watter.5170

Can’t kite? → shortbow.
Can’t survive? → doing it wrong.

As I play my thief with 22k hp, my highest ‘hit’ is around 3k. I may not kill you in 5 seconds, or even 15 seconds. But once I’m onto you.. you will die. There is no escape.. and you cannot catch me. Just deal with it.

p.s.
thief is not assassin.

[TBH]Watter
The Brotherhood – Warlord

in Thief

Posted by: Kentra.8625

Kentra.8625

^ I’d like to see that build =) Pm it, if you wish. I try to play more balanced thieves as well. Always on the lookout for different builds.

As for the op, I fully agree that thieves are NOT op. People are crying about it, because atm it’s fotm. It will be until people wisen up and start using their cc’s on all the glass cannon hs spammers out there. Once people up their game, it will get a lot tougher for thieves and only the good players will stay with it. The rest will migrate to something else.

in Thief

Posted by: Rika.7249

Rika.7249

Defensive builds.
This goes for anyone.

Go crit+power build, deal no damage and die instantly.
Go defensive builds, live forever, deal just about the same damage.

in Thief

Posted by: Timmy.5721

Timmy.5721

Oh please, you are dead meat when locked on? A thief can always get away.

Check out thieves’ elite skills vs some other classes, they are absolutely overpowered. Thieves guild and disappear yourself will get most classes halfway (or use up all their dodges and it’s easy to kill them).

And even when you take down the thief, if you do use the disappear and teleport in downed state and DO NOT attack you can hop around forever.

For those of you saying HS spam isnt that effective etc. you are right. In 1v1 from the start it isn’t. But most of the time a thief pops up when you are doing a 1v1 and he just uses 1 bloody skill 4 times and you are dead. It feels terrible, doesnt require any skill whatsoever, it pisses me off.

Thieves used to be strong and took skill to play, HS was effective when under 30% health, not from 70% to 0. I do not see how they make the Thief this strong after so many beta tests. Especially the downed state is ridiculous, everyone complained about it and nothing was done. If you kill someone you should have a good chance of finishing him. The ONLY exception to this would be if you down someone and you have under 2k health left. Not spend 30 seconds running after a thief trying to finish him.

in Thief

Posted by: Total Barrage.3570

Total Barrage.3570

Oh please, you are dead meat when locked on? A thief can always get away.

And even when you take down the thief, if you do use the disappear and teleport in downed state and DO NOT attack you can hop around forever.

Especially the downed state is ridiculous, everyone complained about it and nothing was done. If you kill someone you should have a good chance of finishing him. The ONLY exception to this would be if you down someone and you have under 2k health left. Not spend 30 seconds running after a thief trying to finish him.

Please research and do actual combat first before posting in the forums blatant lies.

The thief teleport is usable in about 5 seconds after you down him and has a quite long recharge for you to finish him off after that.

The smoke bomb however is on a cd when the thief is downed and takes a quite good while to be usable granting you 2 seconds of stealth – if you are a slightly ‘in hurry’ not to either swing / blast aoe where the thief was to rip chunks off his downed hp or can’t just wait for 2 seconds and then just finish him off.

in Thief

Posted by: Thadren Calder.1397

Thadren Calder.1397

I have gear sets for defensive and offensive. I see a lot of people saying offensive isnt as good as defensive but thiefs can be assassins too, sure a dps build may have low defense but if you are caught off guard its hard to ignore 10k crits, even if you do have massive life, and it’s quite easy to find people off guard or not paying attention in WvWvW. sPvP i think defensive is a better choice.

in Thief

Posted by: Ward The Reaper.9813

Ward The Reaper.9813

Honestly you can say what you like fellow thieve users but your class is over powered. There is no reason a character should be downed withing 7-10 seconds of being attacked. I am so sick and tired of people defending thieves saying its the build when clearly they are just hitting for too much damage. Is it me or aren’t thieves supposed to steal not be assasins? Anyways my point is I am not a great pvper on my ranger/guardian but i make a thief and instant jesus. More then one of my guild mates can say that. I am not here to troll so if you are bite the curve. I am here to get balanced pvp. Anyone ever notice how you use your dodge escape one devastating blow dodge again escape the other but then your all out of the dodges and thieves just hit too hard to compete with. PS: I have used defensive builds but it doesn’t do much seeing that thieves deal condition damage and defense has no effect on condition damage. If anyone has a solution please let me know. I always have my ears open to new ideas. Thanks

in Thief

Posted by: Cris Croix.2370

Cris Croix.2370

-snipped-

Why are you resurrecting this thread? All this will do is get people arguing again about whether or not thieves are overpowered. Just make a new post to ask your question/state your opinion instead of re-igniting a week old thread.

in Thief

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

@Rika
I am interested in your defensive build can you post a rough idea of what skills, weapons, traits and gear? I enjoy my S/P & P/P dmg build but I’m always on the lookout to try new concepts just to keep myself interested.

in Thief

Posted by: Boldor Aran.8543

Boldor Aran.8543

Sorry to bump but no point starting a new thread.
I see a post about the warriors amazing sword spin and bull charge. Sorry but the bull charge rarely seems to work against thieves and yeah I can land a hit with the sword spin and it makes a dent, that’s it. I spend the remaining 5 seconds of my life, and believe me I have a lot of health!! Laughing at how I can’t even land a hit.
It’s an “I win” setup plain and simple.
If anyone played Eve online it’s similar to the Vagabond, appears out of nowhere, made a paper, fast and ridiculously strong dmg output, but that atleast could be countered, I have never got a thief below 50% health 1 v 1, it’s definately overpowered, but I have tried combating it with a Rifle yet to get guarenteed hits because a sword against a thief is a complete no win scenario.

in Thief

Posted by: Archonis.7249

Archonis.7249

Bull Rush is great against bad Thieves. It really is. I don’t think that I am the greatest at Warrior, but when I am on my Warrior alt. I have zero problems with Thieves (not sure if it comes from my experience with Thieves or there are just a lot of bad ones). Though I also don’t play glass cannon GS/Frenzy either. So that might have something to do with it.

There are many abilities across all profession that can be devastating that can be easily avoided. You just have to be familiar with them and learn your enemy. Once you do that, there is nothing to worry about.

Good burst Thieves had to learn very early to watch their opponents. Because one slip, we are worm food. If you are playing in 8v8s, then that would explain having a hard time if you are a Pow Pre Warrior. So much chaos and it is easy as a Thief to pick people off without much effort.

If you need some help against Thieve or want to practice. I have no problem meeting up with you and giving you some pointers in SPvP dueling.

“Society is a madhouse, whose wardens are the police and the officials.”

in Thief

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

I don’t know about bulls rush but if you’re smart with blocks warriors force predicted DD thieves into defense almost immediately. Mind you there are other thief builds.

The great forum duppy.

(edited by ensoriki.5789)

in Thief

Posted by: Alex.6940

Alex.6940

I have never got a thief below 50% health 1 v 1, it’s definately overpowered

You can’t kill a thief therefore they must be overpowered? Thieves require little skill to be effective but that doesn’t mean they are OP. The vast majority of complaints about thieves are a L2P issue imo.

I don’t play a GC thief, mostly because of how weak they are in a 1v1 situation against someone who knows what they’re doing, but they don’t bother me at all tbh. If you have an ability to escape basilisk venom and you can predict or avoid the damage of a thief in stealth they’re very easy to deal with in my experience. Warriors are probably the weakest profession in a 1v1 situation though but good use of stuns, dodging and invulnerability, such as shield stance or endure pain, and you can counter GC thieves. A good player is always going to be hard to kill though, regardless of profession.

in Thief

Posted by: jan.9745

jan.9745

I am thief and im over power nobody can kill me and i can kill a group or a party! Only noob will make a thief failed!

in Thief

Posted by: epicsmooth.7825

epicsmooth.7825

Engineers : im not seeing any post where people complain about this classes while they are really amazing hard

You were doing good with your post till here.

Engineer is laughable besides bunker….which shouldn’t even kill you.

Really Culling just needs to be fixed bad.

in Thief

Boldor Aran.8543

I have never got a thief below 50% health 1 v 1, it’s definately overpowered

You can’t kill a thief therefore they must be overpowered? Thieves require little skill to be effective but that doesn’t mean they are OP. The vast majority of complaints about thieves are a L2P issue imo.

I don’t play a GC thief, mostly because of how weak they are in a 1v1 situation against someone who knows what they’re doing, but they don’t bother me at all tbh. If you have an ability to escape basilisk venom and you can predict or avoid the damage of a thief in stealth they’re very easy to deal with in my experience. Warriors are probably the weakest profession in a 1v1 situation though but good use of stuns, dodging and invulnerability, such as shield stance or endure pain, and you can counter GC thieves. A good player is always going to be hard to kill though, regardless of profession.

They’re overpowered because that’s the general consensus of people which is absolutely correct. BullRush, despite having them in my sights just seems to miss almost all of the time. Even if I hit them, i get them down to 2/3 health and they run and cloak, throw doubles and having me chasing ghosts while they shot the heck out of my with blasters. Too fast, too stronge, too many chances at escape.
Believe me, I’m not a bad player, my guy is slow sure, but he has a ton of health, pimped up mods and I can beat almost everyone 1v1 except the thief, I just fought a particulary stupid thief, no real skill he should have easily taken me, however he just, by the skin of his teeth managed to kill me.
It’s ridiculous, if I could start again I’d just be a thief, hide in a hold and annoy the heck out of people trying to the jumping puzzles.

in Thief

Posted by: Rainu.6871

Rainu.6871

Huh, seldom I see an OP where I actually can say I consider pretty much everything stated to be false. Of course, it’s 3 months old and the meta has changed but it still shows an amazing lack of insight into other classes.

in Thief

Posted by: Jaden.9072

Jaden.9072

im a thief, im overpowered not because of my profession but because of my gears, ive probably killed each and everyone of you, but it doesnt mean i dont die, ive died hundreds of times in wvw, ive killed people in a blink of an eye, a level 15 moa killed me the other day, did you hear me complain?

if you dont wanna die i suggest you dont go wvw or spvp play something else like dance dance revolution, do you hear us thieves say ‘OMFG PLS NERF GUARDIANS THEYRE HARD 2 KILL’ no we don’t. so stop whining like a woman and take it like a champ.

heres an attachment of my stats and gears, just recently got the quiver of swift flight so more power for me

Attachments:

Party on, television off.

in Thief

Boldor Aran.8543

im a thief, im overpowered not because of my profession but because of my gears, ive probably killed each and everyone of you, but it doesnt mean i dont die, ive died hundreds of times in wvw, ive killed people in a blink of an eye, a level 15 moa killed me the other day, did you hear me complain?

if you dont wanna die i suggest you dont go wvw or spvp play something else like dance dance revolution, do you hear us thieves say ‘OMFG PLS NERF GUARDIANS THEYRE HARD 2 KILL’ no we don’t. so stop whining like a woman and take it like a champ.

heres an attachment of my stats and gears, just recently got the quiver of swift flight so more power for me

No one is whinning, you seem to get irate fairly easily so it may be you that needs the tissue box. Genrally it’s not overpowered but 1v1 it has a huge, huge advantage.
I just got done again in about 10 seconds, I landed a few blows but they may have been on his duplicates, it’s a very easy setup to use 1 v1 but probably not in a pack wvw.

in Thief

Posted by: Alex.6940

Alex.6940

They’re overpowered because that’s the general consensus of people which is absolutely correct. BullRush, despite having them in my sights just seems to miss almost all of the time. Even if I hit them, i get them down to 2/3 health and they run and cloak, throw doubles and having me chasing ghosts while they shot the heck out of my with blasters. Too fast, too stronge, too many chances at escape.
Believe me, I’m not a bad player, my guy is slow sure, but he has a ton of health, pimped up mods and I can beat almost everyone 1v1 except the thief, I just fought a particulary stupid thief, no real skill he should have easily taken me, however he just, by the skin of his teeth managed to kill me.
It’s ridiculous, if I could start again I’d just be a thief, hide in a hold and annoy the heck out of people trying to the jumping puzzles.

Lots of people complaining on the forums doesn’t mean it’s the consensus nor does it mean that it’s correct. When the game first came out there were lots of people complaining about how overpowered the 100b frenzy warrior was. Arena Net did nothing to nerf the class because they knew it was easily countered. Skip forward a few months where most people have learnt how to counter them and 100b frenzy warriors are considered quite weak, effective in killing only those newbs who do nothing to counter it. Personally I think these GC backstab thieves are a repeat of this.

Without video footage or a well thought out explanation of how a profession is OP, it’s difficult to say how valid your points are. Telling people they you are actually a good player, it’s just that the person you’re fighting is super OP, isn’t very reassuring.

in Thief

Posted by: FourTwenty.4268

FourTwenty.4268

No one is whinning, you seem to get irate fairly easily so it may be you that needs the tissue box. Genrally it’s not overpowered but 1v1 it has a huge, huge advantage.
I just got done again in about 10 seconds, I landed a few blows but they may have been on his duplicates, it’s a very easy setup to use 1 v1 but probably not in a pack wvw.

is the game balanced around 1v1?

no. this is a team game with objectives, NOT deathmatches

in Thief

Posted by: Adaneshade.2409

Adaneshade.2409

I actaully find the OP downright offensive as a thief main. We have arguably the best PvP CC build available to any class.

~Shadowkat

in Thief

Posted by: Jaden.9072

Jaden.9072

you’re just weak, post something when you’re ready to accept defeats. young grasshopper

Party on, television off.

in Thief

Posted by: TakaEagle.9486

TakaEagle.9486

Thieves are not OP. They can be burst down as quickly as they can burst down others. I cannot reiterate this more.

Let me ask you: if thieves were so “OP”, then why in the world is it so rare to see a thief in high level sPVP or tPVP? They are only seen as OP by those who do not how to counter them, hence most of the “PVE” players in WvW complain endlessly.

S H U N P O [TS]
Sea Of Sorrows Commander

in Thief

Posted by: Aervius.2016

Aervius.2016

I’ve personally taken it upon myself to start reporting all the Thief QQ Threads under the TOS violations of:
1. Repetitive Posting
2. Non-Constructive Content

If the bads want to kitten, they can do it quitely. In a corner.
Good players crap on Burst Thieves, because (while we may not telegraph as apparently as other builds/professions) we still telegraph incredibly predictably to players who have learned to anticipate the dreaded dual dagger burst builds.

It’s the primary reason I dumped burst dagger/dagger.

Kolt – Human Thief
[NEX]
#swaguuma

in Thief

Posted by: Doomdesire.9365

Doomdesire.9365

Honestly, I can’t for one second accept a burst build as a good build for thief. It’s horrible IMO. A good player will rarely die from a backstab thief, and will almost never die in a 1v1 front to front scenario. The tank thief is where it’s at. If you’re solo roaming in WvW and see a tank thief, you better get your condition cures ready :P

In zergs, thieves suffer the most. It’s a ranged AoE fest. Stealth or no stealth, you’re going to get hit. And when you get hit, you’re going to die, fast.