So I swapped to D/P for funzies.

in Thief

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

And my god is it easy to play. After numerous occasions where AR and ET permastealth thieves told me to L2P (mind you I’m playing my S/P no-stealth build in which half of those thieves died to), I finally decided to grab some exotics, trait out 0/30/30/10/0 for might stacking, and head out. It’s a breath of fresh air not having to worry about losing 1v1’s against equally skilled players. Even D/P thieves crumble under my might (heh, it’s a pun), and it’s sad to see just how easy it is to play. Don’t know whether I’ll stick with it, but it is a fun spec to play, albeit quite cheesy. Vitality? Toughness? Who needs it! Full zerk with traveler runes is the way to go.

Own all the faces.

in Thief

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

I will not say it takes no skill, I will not say that its bad, I will say that I personally dont like playing DP because it is arguably easier only due to the fact that you have so much to work with. Actually no, I don’t dislike it for that reason but even still I think its an OU weaponset. It’s not the thief’s fault as you can use everything but regardless it’s still OU. 8/10 thieves in WvW use it. I’ve always liked DD not becuase of the challenge but because it felt right. It’s our iconic weaponset…I just wish it played more iconic… offered the same tricks and traps as DP does

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

in Thief

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

have fun untill you face someone with brain who knows how to punish d/p

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in Thief

Posted by: MrAmputatoes.6031

MrAmputatoes.6031

I know exactly what u mean. I would run a s/p evasion build and just be annoying, maybe kill some1 if they made a couple mistakes. I would also run D/D valkarie thief too. At least that spec was hard to use correctly ( i.e. landing c&d). D/P is really easy compared to either of those.
No requirements for stealthing.
Permablind.
Interrupt for those pesky heals.
Its a lot easier to use and roam with.

have fun until you face someone with brain who knows how to punish d/p

Punish how? Interrupt the HS so that they can’t stealth? Good luck with that through the blind. Even if you do get 1 interrupt I hope it last at least 3 seconds so I don’t just HS through the BP smoke field which lasts 4 seconds.

in Thief

Posted by: Chicago Jack.5647

Chicago Jack.5647

Perma Stealth/Perma Evade is sponsored by Kraft.

in Thief

Posted by: Hype.8032

Hype.8032

D/P is overpowered in WvW imo, but try running that build in high level team queues and you’ll find it’s crap. The only reason that build works in WvW is that you don’t have an area you’re forced to stay in. I’m not a fan of builds that rely heavily on stealth though.

In spvp I find s/p pretty faceroll easy but I can see how it’d be more challenging in WvW.

Tualek & F I Monk / Thief —-- Tk E / Engineer
Highest Solo Queue Rank Achieved: 40
Highest solo-join Team Queue Rank Achieved: 198

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Kaboomski.1508

Sir Kaboomski.1508

Last week there was this particular thief on the enemy team in my server’s matchup that was running S/P.

And man… it was a barrel of lulz.

Full zerk, glassy as hell. Hangs back most of the time unless odds were in his favor – and then… 2..3,3,3,3,3,3,3 (slight exaggeration). But seriously, I had never seen a S/P thief be able to spam 3 so many times in a row. It was literally the only attack button he ever pressed aside from the 2 opener, and kitten if you took that full 3 spam it was over.

When he wasn’t evading he was a 2-hit kill with D/D but it was fun as hell dropping blinds on him with D/P.

D/P: to counter that sh**, and also mini hammer-trains. :P

in Thief

Viking Jorun.5413

D/P is overpowered in WvW imo, but try running that build in high level team queues and you’ll find it’s crap. The only reason that build works in WvW is that you don’t have an area you’re forced to stay in. I’m not a fan of builds that rely heavily on stealth though.

In spvp I find s/p pretty faceroll easy but I can see how it’d be more challenging in WvW.

You’d never run this spec in any form of serious PvP. Trickery in that format is King.

in Thief

Viking Jorun.5413

Last week there was this particular thief on the enemy team in my server’s matchup that was running S/P.

And man… it was a barrel of lulz.

Full zerk, glassy as hell. Hangs back most of the time unless odds were in his favor – and then… 2..3,3,3,3,3,3,3 (slight exaggeration). But seriously, I had never seen a S/P thief be able to spam 3 so many times in a row. It was literally the only attack button he ever pressed aside from the 2 opener, and kitten if you took that full 3 spam it was over.

When he wasn’t evading he was a 2-hit kill with D/D but it was fun as hell dropping blinds on him with D/P.

D/P: to counter that sh**, and also mini hammer-trains. :P

My S/P build is quite balanced and is more about sustained damage and healing, not one of those amateur zerk builds.

in Thief

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

I agree that D/P is slightly overpowered. Or maybe it’s just well-designed since it’s the only weapon-set that makes frequent use of all its skills.

Then again it allows us to do some amazing things, like go toe-to-toe with Warriors and other heavy brawlers. But yes, I agree that it’s a little easy countering classes who don’t know how to avoid Black Powder. I even have difficulties on my Warrior despite knowing Thief mechanics inside out.

However D/P still has weaknesses. You can still be instant-gibbed by D/D Thieves even inside a Black Powder and Initiative becomes something you have to keep an eye on.

It would be nice if other Thief weapon sets had equally well-designed weapon-skills.

I agree that D/D has the more attractive play-style but it evolves almost entirely around 2 skills. Same applies to P/D.

If D/D and P/D actually used all 5 of their weapon skills on a regular basis they’d be much more compelling to play.

in Thief

Posted by: Chicago Jack.5647

Chicago Jack.5647

It would be nice if other Thief weapon sets had equally well-designed weapon-skills.

If D/D and P/D actually used all 5 of their weapon skills on a regular basis they’d be much more compelling to play.

This. So much this. The one thing the thief class needs is an incentive to use all weapon skills on ALL weapon sets. Not just D/P – though perma stealth really only cares about 2 (blackpoweder, and heartseeker) skills because if you use anything else, you’re not going to be perma stealthing. Better need for initiative management is the most desired change.

in Thief

Posted by: Quakeman.9378

Quakeman.9378

I agree that D/P is slightly overpowered. Or maybe it’s just well-designed since it’s the only weapon-set that makes frequent use of all its skills.

I agree that D/D has the more attractive play-style but it evolves almost entirely around 2 skills. Same applies to P/D.

I completely agree with this. My only dilemma about using D/D is that it has less useful skills than D/P. D/P is in general more useful, and I feel this needs to be reevaluated.

Yoloswaginz- D/D thief SBI
Tyronee Biggums- Warrior SBI
“If fifty people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing”-Bertrand Russell

in Thief

Posted by: Shadowskill.9852

Shadowskill.9852

The only thing I would say that is OP about d/p is the blind on shot from 5. It already blinds at the spot. It doesnt need the extra blind from the shot its self.

I dont have problems against d/p Thieves as a s/d-p/d Thief. My daze on steal and from sword out of stealth really hurt thier combo.

in Thief

Posted by: Tachii.3506

Tachii.3506

Don’t know whether I’ll stick with it, but it is a fun spec to play, albeit quite cheesy. Vitality? Toughness? Who needs it! Full zerk with traveler runes is the way to go.

Own all the faces.

Well technically you invested 30 in Shadow arts and 10 in acrobatics. Living the life would be going 0 in both of them and 30 in Trickery, 10 in Deadly arts.

SBI – Thief and the occasional Guardian & Warrior.

in Thief

Posted by: Lamuness.3570

Lamuness.3570

I don’t know about you guys, but I run D/P and I always find that I’m in a situation against some condi necro or mesmer or engi or i’m in some sort of 1vX with a bajillion immobs, that make getting away really hard. Even black powder will not save me from this.

in Thief

Posted by: mrmadhaze.8706

mrmadhaze.8706

Meanwhile you all cry about d/p the wvw meta is still the same braindead hammer train, aoe spam, CCs everywhere etc..
If you face someone good d/p is not immortal..
So why would I want to see nerfed one of the best thief’s weaponset? Just becouse it’s cool writing on forum “im prohhhhh with my random build becouse is not mainstream QQ” ?
It’s just ridiculous guys, play your builds and don’t cry here please, it start to be really boring..

in Thief

Viking Jorun.5413

Meanwhile you all cry about d/p the wvw meta is still the same braindead hammer train, aoe spam, CCs everywhere etc..
If you face someone good d/p is not immortal..
So why would I want to see nerfed one of the best thief’s weaponset? Just becouse it’s cool writing on forum “im prohhhhh with my random build becouse is not mainstream QQ” ?
It’s just ridiculous guys, play your builds and don’t cry here please, it start to be really boring..

Who’s crying? I said that the set was powerful in 1v1 situations. I never went to the extent of saying it’s overpowered.

in Thief

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I always get bored when I’m playing D/P, personally. It’s a lot easier to kill people with it than other builds, even though I tend to annihilate D/P Thieves with S/D (my favorite in the fun department) really easily. It’s just a safer build with the stealth and you can escape from battle when you need to. I even find D/D more fun, but people seem to not want to deal with missing CnD.

Getting bored of most things though lately. Wondering when I’ll get to use Dagger/Focus or Torch or something new. O_o We need more cheese.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

in Thief

RedSpectrum.1975

I always get bored when I’m playing D/P, personally. It’s a lot easier to kill people with it than other builds, even though I tend to annihilate D/P Thieves with S/D (my favorite in the fun department) really easily. It’s just a safer build with the stealth and you can escape from battle when you need to. I even find D/D more fun, but people seem to not want to deal with missing CnD.

Getting bored of most things though lately. Wondering when I’ll get to use Dagger/Focus or Torch or something new. O_o We need more cheese.

Hidden thief powers unlock dual sword? Dual axes? Dual rifles?

in Thief

Viking Jorun.5413

You haven’t heard the leaked new class weapons?

• Warrior – WinBow
  • Thief – Kraft™ Box
  • Mesmer – MoarStealthCondiSpamDagger
  • Ranger – UselessPetOnlyWeaponOfJustice
  • Elementalist – ActuallyUsefulButNerfedIn2DaysLongbow
  • Guardian – LastDitchEffortToMakeDPSGuardAThingDaggers
  • Engineer – HammerButCondiSpamIsStillFarMoreViable
  • Necromancer – SeeEngiButReplaceHammerWithPistolsOrSomething

in Thief

Doggie.3184

• Warrior – WinBow
  • Thief – Kraft™ Box

I assume it’ll be like this when new weapons happen:
War- Rocket Launchers
Guard- Giant 2Handed Axes 5x Their Size
Ranger- AK47s
Ele- Artifacts That Summon Beasts Like Gigantic Mythical Unicorn Mounts That Shoot Lasers
Engi- Huge Gatling Guns
Necro- Mech Scythe-Gun-Thingys ( http://youtu.be/pYW2GmHB5xs )
Mesmer- Long Bladed Whips
Thief- A Spoon.

(edited by Doggie.3184)

in Thief

RedSpectrum.1975

• Warrior – WinBow
  • Thief – Kraft™ Box

I assume it’ll be like this when new weapons happen:
War- Rocket Launchers
Guard- Giant 2Handed Axes 5x Their Size
Ranger- AK47s
Ele- Artifacts That Summon Beasts Like Gigantic Mythical Unicorn Mounts That Shoot Lasers
Engi- Huge Gatling Guns
Necro- Mech Scythe-Gun-Thingys ( http://youtu.be/pYW2GmHB5xs )
Mesmer- Long Bladed Whips
Thief- A Spoon.

Trait: Cereal Killer
Skills with spoons deal 5% more damage
Autoattack:
Just a pinch
1 dmg, progresses to teaspoon

Teaspoon
2 dmg, progresses to tablespoon

Tablespoon
1dmg
inflict might on your opponent

(edited by RedSpectrum.1975)

in Thief

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in Thief

RedSpectrum.1975

It’s been ages….yet Cynz, you fool, this implies we end up as the victor >:D Muahahaha wait why am I laughing?

in Thief

Doggie.3184

It’s been ages….yet Cynz, you fool, this implies we end up as the victor >:D Muahahaha wait why am I laughing?

Thief doesn’t have immortality though like that dude. :o

You’d just pop in and out of stealth backspooning…. them for one damage till they go insane and exit wvw or manage to catch you. .-.

(edited by Doggie.3184)

in Thief

Posted by: hihey.1075

hihey.1075

This. Please join the train of people I regularly kill in WvW because of the FotM-ness of D/P.
If you spend the needed time to actually learn it, you will do well. If you don’t, then you are not any better than any Perplexity Engi, Hambow Warrior or PU mesmer (actually PU mesmers are still the king of cheese).

Pillow Cake
Worst Thief EU
One Handed One vs One Videos

in Thief

Viking Jorun.5413

This. Please join the train of people I regularly kill in WvW because of the FotM-ness of D/P.
If you spend the needed time to actually learn it, you will do well. If you don’t, then you are not any better than any Perplexity Engi, Hambow Warrior or PU mesmer (actually PU mesmers are still the king of cheese).

I have no intentions of playing much D/P. I’d rather get good fights in with my S/P anti-meta build and counter the cheese.

in Thief

Posted by: muscarine.5136

muscarine.5136

I have no intentions of playing much D/P. I’d rather get good fights in with my S/P anti-meta build and counter the cheese.

Come on. Come on. Please ? Seriously ?

come on.

S/P

Please.
These forums.

in Thief

Viking Jorun.5413

Come on. Come on. Please ? Seriously ?

come on.

S/P

Please.
These forums.

Haha. The fact that you assume that 3 is all s/p uses is hilarious. Bad players? Sure.

in Thief

Posted by: Azukas.1426

Azukas.1426

Sword is the Meta for thief and it has been for quite some time now……

in Thief

Viking Jorun.5413

Sword is the Meta for thief and it has been for quite some time now……

I’m talking about the overarcing meta of condispam and AI. Sword does well to counter it with on-demand condi removal and plenty of evades. On the topic of people shouting that all sword thieves do is spam 3, I say this: Bad sword thieves will spam 3 because it does the most damage, just as bad dagger thieves will spam 2 for the same reason. Neither can survive a real fight against a skilled opponent, and neither is an effective playstyle. Good players will make any weapon set shine, while bad ones contribute to the stereotype of thiefspam.

in Thief

Posted by: swinsk.6410

swinsk.6410

I’m running 0/30/30/10/0 in spvp with haste and d/p. it’s funzie in. 8v8 hotjoins

Just another noob thief…

in Thief

Doggie.3184

Haven’t you read the memo? Everything Thief does is Cheese, even if you’re the only person in all of GW2 doing it. You’re fighting Cheese with Cheese~ if only we had some Bread and Butter; and maybe Burn condition to light up a pan for some Grilled Cheese.

in Thief

RedSpectrum.1975

I’m running 0/30/30/10/0 in spvp with haste and d/p. it’s funzie in. 8v8 hotjoins

So this is still viable in hotjoins??? thank the maker *rerolls

in Thief

Posted by: animalmom.1062

animalmom.1062

Would you mind showing the current build with trait choices? For WvW.

I have been doing D/D 10/30/30/0/0 lately and want to mess around with other power builds.

in Thief

Posted by: Rafahil.2857

Rafahil.2857

I’ve started using P/D on my D/D zerker build solely for the P/D #3 skill. Open with D/D and troll with P/D #3. Surprisingly it works so far.

in Thief

Doggie.3184

I’ve started using P/D on my D/D zerker build solely for the P/D #3 skill. Open with D/D and troll with P/D #3. Surprisingly it works so far.

I’ve tried that before when I realized how much direct damage that skill does. Why do our weapon skill setups make no sense? If they have that skill Cond+high direct dmg why can’t the auto attack be that way? O_o and Death Blossom.

in Thief

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

I’ve tried that before when I realized how much direct damage that skill does. Why do our weapon skill setups make no sense? If they have that skill Cond+high direct dmg why can’t the auto attack be that way? O_o and Death Blossom.

You can’t spam p/d shadow strike as effectively compared to death blossom.

in Thief

Doggie.3184

You can’t spam p/d shadow strike as effectively compared to death blossom.

Unless there’s a very tiny hill behind you or a wall, rock, pebble, tiny leaf, etc, then you smack someone 3-4~ times in a row with it.

in Thief

Posted by: SoLeciTO.3490

SoLeciTO.3490

Viking Jorun.5413 i don’t know if you are one of those thieves that love to say they are experts because they do not use D/P or talking seriously.

D/P is the best set for WvW . . . yes.

But it doesn’t mean it is OP.

Anet must buff other sets to be a real option.

Man i’m really tired of this forum, always calling all good build cheesy, all good counters OP, and “a total imbalance” for every profession they can not kill.

in Thief

Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413 i don’t know if you are one of those thieves that love to say they are experts because they do not use D/P or talking seriously.

Man i’m really tired of this forum, always calling all good build cheesy, all good counters OP, and “a total imbalance” for every profession they can not kill.

I run stealthless S/P quite successfully in WvW, and shut down D/P thieves on a regular basis, even in dueling and outnumbered situations when I’m seen before I can get the jump on people. I never said that it was OP. I said it was fun, and quite powerful for what it’s meant for. Please don’t take offense when someone says that the set you run is easy to play compared to what they’re used to.

Thanks, mate!

in Thief

RedSpectrum.1975

I run stealthless S/P quite successfully in WvW, and shut down D/P thieves on a regular basis, even in dueling and outnumbered situations when I’m seen before I can get the jump on people. I never said that it was OP. I said it was fun, and quite powerful for what it’s meant for. Please don’t take offense when someone says that the set you run is easy to play compared to what they’re used to.

Thanks, mate!

I have to say, your set is wen easier compared to what I do. I run PP quite successfully in WvW, even do very well in outnumbered situations. Unload is easily the most overlooked skill that thief players see when they try PP. I honestly don’t know why no one uses it. The blinds give me an edge when a thief catches me off guard as well. Not to mention the constant pressure from my auto attack, SP tsk tsk all of you should go PP you filthy cashulz

in Thief

Posted by: animalmom.1062

animalmom.1062

I suppose I should watch some D/P videos. I have never really tried to use it. How do you go about your attack runs?

I assume 5, then 2,2, a few times to build stealth then chase into them?

Or do you sit in a smoke field then 2 at them when they get close to stealth?

Do you basi venom them on the heartseeker into stealth?

Some protips would be appreciated.

in Thief

Azukas.1426

Thanks, mate!

The evade builds are the real OP builds of a thief.

in Thief

Viking Jorun.5413

Thanks, mate!

The evade builds are the real OP builds of a thief.

Yet our vigor was nerfed and PW costs initiative, which runs out. Perma evade isn’t a thing, people :P. No respectable S/P or S/D thief spams 3 for evade spam; not even Jumper. If you think sword evade builds are bad, look back on Lowell’s Unicorn Build for “spam 3 2 win haha”.

in Thief

Azukas.1426

Perma stealth isn’t a thing either.

Either way I did not say perma evade only evade builds.

So continue believing that #3 builds require skill

in Thief

Posted by: Spiuk.8421

Spiuk.8421

>GW2
>skill

It keeps happening.

Rubios – Tales of the Sunless [TXS]

in Thief

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

>>If D/D and P/D actually used all 5 of their weapon skills on a regular basis they’d be much more compelling to play.

I find the only one I never use is the dancing dagger skill so both those weapon sets are close. Immobilize can likely use a boost and Vital shot might need a slight up tweak in power but I use the rest with regularity.

The only times I ever use dancing dagger is when I have throw gunk and need a projectile on the dagger dagger set for confusion.

in Thief

Posted by: Peow peow.2189

Peow peow.2189

its pretty much the only reliable pvp spec we have left. Once this is destroyed like everything else, thiefs will either die or all run s/d evasion. Oh and then guess what we will evade too much and that will be nerfed too… phucking lol has anyone looked at engineers or guardians lately?

in Thief

Viking Jorun.5413

Perma stealth isn’t a thing either.

Either way I did not say perma evade only evade builds.

So continue believing that #3 builds require skill

Maybe you should play one. You’ll find out really quick that spamming 3 will get you killed very, very quickly.