Steal Nerf, Are you for real, ANet?

in Thief

Posted by: winterchillz.2564

winterchillz.2564

Steal now requires a target in order to use.

The change is rather dull and eliminates one of the core thief skills as well as a couple of traits.

Edit: Made the post a rather more … user friendly.

Attachments:

Cloud of Sparrows
Fluffiest Blood Legion Charr
“At least I die knowing my sisters are free”

(edited by winterchillz.2564)

in Thief

Posted by: Gray.9041

Gray.9041

it’s not a proper patch without a thief nerf.

looks like even nerfs have better stealth than we do.

in Thief

Posted by: Impact.2780

Impact.2780

It’s also a buff.

In some cases it’s a nerf, denying you access to that swiftness which you might need if it comes down to a decap to win a PvP match, or if you’re running hidden thief and just need the stealth.

Mostly, though, it’s a buff. I lost count how many times I’ve missed steal because I press it a millisecond after my target enters stealth. This patch should prevent steal from going off in such cases, allowing me to use it for its full effect.

EU | Ímpáct / Impact Warlock / Impact Illusions
http://www.twitch.tv/impact2780

in Thief

winterchillz.2564

Well, as a PvE player, I see it as a complete nerf to be honest.

Cloud of Sparrows

in Thief

Posted by: franxi.6513

franxi.6513

Anet really? I think you are not thinking. You dont nerf DH, revenants, mesmers, celestial, AND YOU NERF THIEVES?
Now thieves are losed for the game and i will explain to you because i think that you dont understant nothing: nerf f1 = no swiffness = less mobility = they thief has losed all that he is,,,,
You are not competents developers, i think you should read forum and ask the community

in Thief

Posted by: Valairean.7183

Valairean.7183

Its actually quite funny, Franxi is right. There are so many OP classes right now xD.. So they nerf Thieves hahahahahha.

We’re playing a sitcom.

in Thief

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

It’s also a buff.

In some cases it’s a nerf, denying you access to that swiftness which you might need if it comes down to a decap to win a PvP match, or if you’re running hidden thief and just need the stealth.

Mostly, though, it’s a buff. I lost count how many times I’ve missed steal because I press it a millisecond after my target enters stealth. This patch should prevent steal from going off in such cases, allowing me to use it for its full effect.

This is how I see it too. Do you know if it works better with the action camera now?

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Fat Disgrace.4275

Fat Disgrace.4275

It’s also a buff.

also, it use to go on a 4 second cool down when target was out of range, not it dosnt activate and says “out of range” another buff in my eyes

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

gw1 – healing signet/frenzy/charge

in Thief

Posted by: TPMN.1483

TPMN.1483

Its a nerf – its also not in the patch notes.

Means you cannot steal (to nothing) and trigger thrill of the crime.
Its a bad move IMO – sometimes you want to have no target on the steal.

Otherwise we have no other way of triggering ‘I want to run’ faster move to catch up toward a target.

[MYTH] The Mythical Dragons -PvX http://mythdragons.enjin.com

in Thief

Posted by: Darigen.2309

Darigen.2309

i actually never miss my steal and i don’t see where this would be a buff. even if you miss, you usually get at least a speedbuff and/or stealth. (depends on your traits)

as a wvw and pve player i see it as a nerf. huge maps – no speedbuff… chasing someone – no speedbuff…

tbh, this patch made just made me put away the wvw gear of my thief into the deepest parts of my bank, because roaming became entirely annyoing with this class. maybe it is even time to move to my warrior/zerker as a main…

in Thief

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Would be nice if they gave us swiftness elsewhere. Even if it was a buff to Acro minor. Now we’re pretty much forced to use Dash for mobility and deal 0 dmg.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

in Thief

Posted by: Double Trouble.3162

Double Trouble.3162

Would be nice if they gave us swiftness elsewhere. Even if it was a buff to Acro minor. Now we’re pretty much forced to use Dash for mobility and deal 0 dmg.

U can dodge and get swiftness with acro …

in Thief

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

U can dodge and get swiftness with acro …

Yeah but it’s a** which is why I said buff it. XD Already bad enough actually using the horrible trait line for any reason. I want swiftness placed elsewhere within CORE THIEF @ the equivalent to Thrill of the Crime w/o target to make up for loss. A Daredevil GM shouldn’t be required to gain a long lasting outa combat swiftness.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

(edited by Doggie.3184)

in Thief

Posted by: Double Trouble.3162

Double Trouble.3162

I use acro in my pvp build and find it pretty good. I tried to replace it with others, but they were not as good for me.

in Thief

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

(edited by Maugetarr.6823)

in Thief

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

Lmao I’m just

Im just gonna

Ahahaha

Oh man

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

in Thief

Posted by: Snrub.1347

Snrub.1347

What the… This is absolutely horrible for pve and casual play. That’s my swiftness gone forever when I need it (out of combat or out of range).

in Thief

Posted by: foste.3098

foste.3098

Teef is now officially reduced to a ambient creature, it now holds the status of a mosquito. It is able to buzz around the map and annoy opponents, but not much else and it is easily squished. And just like a mosquito it persists and keeps coming to annoy you, despite you losing all the windows it finds a way in just so it can jump around for a few before it dies.

#balance #esports #wewanttobeamoba

see no evil ,until i stab you

in Thief

Posted by: Puz.8529

Puz.8529

Thanks Arenanet, we really needed that quality of life nerf. Since we had it so amazingly brilliant lately…

Puz – TDA

in Thief

Posted by: Snrub.1347

Snrub.1347

Why this change? Other skills don’t require a target. This is inconsistent and doesn’t make sense.

For example (I also have a guardian):
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Judge's_Intervention
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Merciful_Intervention

PLEASE CHANGE THIS BACK ANet.

in Thief

Posted by: Hybrid.7059

Hybrid.7059

Thief obviously had to get nerfed more because two thieves showed up in ESL

in Thief

Posted by: Galandil.9641

Galandil.9641

Apart from swiftness outside combat, the steal with no target was useful to buff ourselves AND allies while ranging an enemy with SB, there’re plenty of situations where this is useful.

But, after 3 years of steal working this way, they went and changed it.

Meanwhile, Withdraw still misses its +10% to healing coeff.

Of course, all these changes are in stealth, it must be their way to show us that they think about thief class lol.

These devs are completely clueless and inept, there’s really nothing else to say about it.

in Thief

Posted by: meepeY.2867

meepeY.2867

This is a nerf. No two ways about it.

It’s flat out removed two useful tricks Thief utilised in different situations. Panic Stealth and effective Boon sharing.

“It’s a buff because now you can’t miss steal” – Doesn’t really work like that. If you’re outside of the range, it’ll still put it on a 4s cooldown for a failed cast. Same with a stealthing target.

https://www.twitch.tv/meepeYPlays
WvW Thief Aurora Glade – Mutli Bulid Streamer – 1PM – 4PM GMT, Mon – Fri
My Daredevil Build: The Defender!

in Thief

Posted by: Fat Disgrace.4275

Fat Disgrace.4275

This is a nerf. No two ways about it.

“It’s a buff because now you can’t miss steal” – Doesn’t really work like that. If you’re outside of the range, it’ll still put it on a 4s cooldown for a failed cast. Same with a stealthing target.

i dunno, i have not had it on a 4 second cd due to being out of range, it just wont trigger for me.

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

gw1 – healing signet/frenzy/charge

in Thief

Posted by: Raiden.1375

Raiden.1375

If you’re outside of the range, it’ll still put it on a 4s cooldown for a failed cast. Same with a stealthing target.

i dunno, i have not had it on a 4 second cd due to being out of range, it just wont trigger for me.

It didn’t put Steal on a 5 second cool down when I tried using it while out of range either, so that’s good. I’m not sure about using it against a stealthing target, but I imagine it will just give you a no target error which doesn’t put Steal on a 5 second cool down either.

in Thief

Posted by: Kicker.8203

Kicker.8203

And the pattern continues after disabling shot nerf.

This steal thing as well as putting stolen on F2 should be an option. I don’t want a separate key for stolen usage. Need all my keys for other stuff

in Thief

Posted by: alicatrawz.9567

alicatrawz.9567

Well wvw is pointless now. Rip mobility, and wtf are they doing. They need to either reverse this or amend the notes, otherwise I’m out. This is kitteningly stupid.

gravity is my arch-nemesis.

in Thief

Posted by: indiesicky.2874

indiesicky.2874

Wow Anet you truly don’t care about keeping your customers. I never thought bankruptcy could ever be a good thing. Never known a bunch of try-hards whose goal was to find more ways to destroy a game with every update to a game that was once considered “good”. Seriously, what “good” did you see in this change? The new skilless players that joined this game won’t blow their steal by accident? Thieves too slippery for zergs? Tell that to the revenant and it’s infinite evades. I have a fantastic idea Anet! How about you require autoattack to have a target too? This way, the noobs in stealth won’t cry to you when they get damaged in stealth. Or God forbid downed in stealth. “But I’m not supposed to be seen in stealth! How did he hit me? Boo hoo, help me Anet!” I expect an employment request by the end of the night because that idea is golden.

in Thief

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

There are still thieves playing game. Must fix it.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in Thief

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

I get the intent behind this change, but untargeted steal had uses. Maybe there should just be a toggle in options that applies to all targeted skills.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

in Thief

Posted by: YuiRS.8129

YuiRS.8129

It’s also a buff.

It’s only a buff if you’re bad. Meaning it’s not a buff.

in Thief

Posted by: Mr Vivi Ornitier.4271

Mr Vivi Ornitier.4271

in Thief

Posted by: santoryu.9815

santoryu.9815

this is unfair thief is the most unfair class in this game and the anet dont do anithing only do worst a warrior can take 15k with a skil and a thief cant , a revenent have quiknes permanent LOOOL an now another nerf? gg

in Thief

Posted by: Ragion.2831

Ragion.2831

Dunno what you guys are on about, this isnt a nerf if anything its an improvement. How many times have you accidentally used steal on a target that went into stealth almost at the same time. With the kind of speed thieves have at roaming dunno why you would use steal ooc when you can easily run into an opponent before the cooldown is up is baffling. If you want ooc swiftness there’s unhindered combatant. If its party wide swiftness you are worried about, odds are half your party can already do that.

Stop looking for things to complain about.

in Thief

Posted by: Raithwall.8201

Raithwall.8201

How many times have you accidentally used steal on a target that went into stealth almost at the same time.

Maybe 1 time for every 100times i used it for the buffs?

in Thief

Posted by: TheMurkMuffin.8213

TheMurkMuffin.8213

anddddd i’m done with this class.. Its abundantly obvious the nerfs don’t end. Time to salvage/sell all the gear and move on to a different class or even a different game.

Kaliabell – 80 Norn Reaper
-Retired Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Darigen.2309

Darigen.2309

I just doubt that anet will ever respond to this thread. As well as they’ll never again buff our damage (the point of playing a high risk class)…

in Thief

Ragion.2831

How many times have you accidentally used steal on a target that went into stealth almost at the same time.

Yea it is not common but you know what should be even less common? needing to use steal ooc when you can run into an opponent at anytime, needing to use steal ooc when many other classes already do that and needing to use steal ooc if you run SB

in Thief

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

No, mostly it’s just a nerf, as it means that you cannot activate your buffs without a target.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

in Thief

Cynz.9437

Yea it is not common but you know what should be even less common? needing to use steal ooc when you can run into an opponent at anytime, needing to use steal ooc when many other classes already do that and needing to use steal ooc if you run SB

steal w/o target had it uses with hidden thief combo when you needed to get away from being spiked w/o landing in massive aoe cluster spam on point

i used steal ooc a lot for decapping, now it is worthless as well

All is Vain~

in Thief

Ragion.2831

No, mostly it’s just a nerf, as it means that you cannot activate your buffs without a target.

lmao, this cannot be a pve issue because that would be ridiculous. Is this a pvp/wvw issue? because i can list several reasons why you shouldnt be using steal without a target.

in Thief

winterchillz.2564

I’m a hardcore PvE player and I can tell you that I’ve been constantly using Steal OOC for the buffs. I was shocked today when I realized I can’t use it anymore and at first I even thought it’s a bug with Shortbow so I swapped over to D/D and S/P but when it didn’t work even there I finally realized what happened.

Now we have a skill that not only is nerfed to the ground but also makes a couple of traits completely useless too.

Cloud of Sparrows

in Thief

Ragion.2831

steal w/o target had it uses with hidden thief combo when you needed to get away from being spiked w/o landing in massive aoe cluster spam on point

Is that the reason why people are complaining? there are 101 ways to get out of that situation without needing to waste steal.

Even stop to think about the concept, steal, you steal from something, how exactly does it make sense to steal from nothing. I’m surprised this no target steal even crossed their minds as a design in the first place.

(edited by Ragion.2831)

in Thief

Cynz.9437

Is that the reason why people are complaining? there are 101 ways to get out of that situation without needing to waste steal.

101 ways? amuse me

All is Vain~

in Thief

Posted by: santoryu.9815

santoryu.9815

trimosia 21 on rampage

in Thief

Ragion.2831

101 ways? amuse me

Port? with the countless options you have on the class? Evade? steal from a distant target? since stealing on a spot to avoid AoE really doesnt help you unless you evade or port which defeats the purpose of wasting steal in the first place. The numerous stealth options?

Steal can heal ,do damage, rip boons, grant boons, recharge skills, stealth for backstab, daze, apply conditions, grant endurance and probably more i have missed, but you decide to give up all that just for stealth that doesnt block damage and that you can get in other ways?

in Thief

Cynz.9437

101 ways? amuse me

Port? with the countless options you have on the class? Evade? steal from a distant target? since stealing on a spot to avoid AoE really doesnt help you unless you evade or port which defeats the purpose of wasting steal in the first place. The numerous stealth options?

Steal can heal ,do damage, rip boons, grant boons, recharge skills, stealth for backstab, daze, apply conditions, grant endurance and probably more i have missed, but you decide to give up all that just for stealth that doesnt block damage and that you can get in other ways?

1. it is not 101 ways
2. port doesn’t drop target
3. evade doesn’t drop target and it requires ini/endurance
4. steal has relative limited range besides you NEED target to be away from aoe

All is Vain~

in Thief

Azure The Heartless.3261

101 ways? amuse me

Look ma, someone’s talking about the class without researching again!

Let me dissect this for you, my child.

Porting does not break targeting. Evades do not as well. Stealing to a target defeats the purpose if you are trying to run away. all stealth options are on a large cooldown or require more than one second to set up.

giving up damage to defend against a specific situation is not insanity, it is common sense.

There was good use in stealing without a target that allowed us to stand a chance when we had to run away, which was pretty much any situation ever.
They gutted it because it didnt play nice with the action camera?

And you’re sitting here trying to figure out why we’re angry about that?

We literally have no access to swiftness now unless we go hug the enemy or are unhindered Daredevil.

Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

(edited by Azure The Heartless.3261)

in Thief

Posted by: Galandil.9641

Galandil.9641

We literally have no access to swiftness now unless we go hug the enemy or are unhindered Daredevil.

Now I get it, it’s a move to convince us to trait again Acrobatics for its expeditious dodger minor!

Such smartness Anet!

in Thief

Azure The Heartless.3261

Now I get it, it’s a move to convince us to trait again Acrobatics for its expeditious dodger minor!

Such smartness Anet!

I refuse to acknowledge that as swiftness access.