Tanky Thief in WvW! 1080P

in Thief

Posted by: Rumthorpe.7519

Rumthorpe.7519

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELfZGb4Xn14

I threw a little movie together of my thief romping around solo in WvW. I find situations where the odds are stack against me and try to live as long as possible.

This movie also highlights my spec which I don’t see very often. I rely on being as tanky and as dodgy as possible with a hearty amount of healing to outlast opponents and bleed them dry with bullets and daggers. Enjoy!

in Thief

Posted by: Stx.4857

Stx.4857

Spec is standard p/d bleed bunker. Like most thief wvw videos, it was pretty evident that a lot of your opponents couldnt see you even after you were out of stealth(bug), which takes a lot of the excitement away from the movie.

However, your sound edits and killstreaks are impressive, as is your ability to lead people on a wild goose chase. And most importantly, it was entertaining! Maybe a few tweaks in the choice of background music ;p 007 fit very well, the first one didnt seem to though imo.

I would say its a good video.

2x 80 Necro, 80 Ranger, 80 Thief

in Thief

Posted by: BabelFish.7234

BabelFish.7234

People like you are the reason we thieves can’t have anything nice
Stop owning so hard or they’ll nerf sneak attack

Seriously though, you’ve got skillz. Are you GoM or BP? Saw you were vs Anvil Rock.

(edited by BabelFish.7234)

in Thief

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

what skill he is auto attacking all fight , and skill 5 when need stealth, no skill just 2 buttons. and no real threat by opposing players. and yes i must concur with stx they couldn’t see you after you get out of stealth. i had same issues last night with one thief. so rendering bug is still operative.

in Thief

Posted by: BabelFish.7234

BabelFish.7234

what skill he is auto attacking all fight , and skill 5 when need stealth, no skill just 2 buttons. and no real threat by opposing players. and yes i must concur with stx they couldn’t see you after you get out of stealth. i had same issues last night with one thief. so rendering bug is still operative.

Dodge timings, feinting. He displays excellent mechanics and uses every skill bar dancing dagger.

By your logic all thieves are skilless as we all have rotations.

D/D has 5,f1,1
S/P has 2,3,3,~,1,1,1,3,3,3,3,~,2,3,3.
I could keep going but I’m sure you get the point.

in Thief

Posted by: Lordryux.9785

Lordryux.9785

i got one comment for that vid. did those warriors even know wat they were doing lol.. all they did was swing thier sword about constantly. … lol but in all that was a funny vid grtz :P

in Thief

Posted by: Suralin.3947

Suralin.3947

Those Anvil Rock guys in the beginning made me facepalm. Their inability to take down this thief was truly horrendous. Still, I applaud the fella for utilizing everything in his build.

DragonBrand – Terror Gaming [TG]
Fer Aline – Thf; Suralinta – Rgr; Alyra Va Tel – Ele; Mer Aline – War

in Thief

Posted by: Simian.1498

Simian.1498

Love the video!
New Thief here. Couple questions:
1) How did your dodge energy keep refilling so fast? (other than the ability you have in the #7 slot of course) It really seemed faster than normal.
2) Were you just hitting Cloak and Dagger to stealth every few seconds?

in Thief

Suralin.3947

Love the video!
1) How did your dodge energy keep refilling so fast? (other than the ability you have in the #7 slot of course) It really seemed faster than normal.

1) There is a trait that gives you back some endurance for a dodge, allowing you 3 dodges in rapid succession and, if he also has it traited, to give the Vigor boon to increase endurance regeneration rate.

2) He was using C&D to stealth, yes. He did this to break LOS, knock out the conditions, heal, and enable his sneak-attack, which does 5 rapid shots and adds more bleeds. There is a stealth debuff when you attack after C&D, which is why you will tend to dodge or blind your opponents so you can C&D again.

in Thief

Posted by: Simian.1498

Simian.1498

Love the video!

1) There is a trait that gives you back some endurance for a dodge, allowing you 3 dodges in rapid succession and, if he also has it traited, to give the Vigor boon to increase endurance regeneration rate.

2) He was using C&D to stealth, yes. He did this to break LOS, knock out the conditions, heal, and enable his sneak-attack, which does 5 rapid shots and adds more bleeds. There is a stealth debuff when you attack after C&D, which is why you will tend to dodge or blind your opponents so you can C&D again.

Ah, I see. Very informative! Thank you!

in Thief

Posted by: Dacromir.6207

Dacromir.6207

what skill he is auto attacking all fight , and skill 5 when need stealth, no skill just 2 buttons.

You could make that argument about any class and spec. With the exception of elementalist, all weapons deal damage by spamming autoattack and using a few other abilities on cooldown. A Longbow Ranger spams autoattack, except when they use Hunter’s Shot and Rapid Fire whenever the icon lights up.

Everyone’s skills are separated into damage skills and utility skills. Dealing damage is mostly a simple matter of spamming your damage skills when they light up.

The skill in this game comes from movement, dodging, positioning, and carefully timed use of utility skills.

in Thief

Posted by: lvis.3824

lvis.3824

Although there are sometimes some good dodges / escapes on your side, this vid more than all proves how BAD the majority of the players in WvWvW are !

Also you are fighting many many lowlvl players , who try to rezz fully killed players ??
I mean come on.

You dont run a stunbreaker, ofc you have high toughness but a full geared lvl 80 who knows how to play will most likely kill you , except you run away.

P/D can wear down some specs but so can other specs kill you.

in Thief

Rumthorpe.7519

Hey folks! Thanks for all the feedback. To answer some of the people complaining of the badness of my opponents I completely agree with you. If there’s anything I’ve learned from doing WvW it’s that most of the players are underleveled or underskilled. They make up for this with mass numbers which evens things out. Usually in their favor.

Unfortunately finding fair fights in WvW doesn’t happen very often. That’s also what I like about. You never know which way in the odds will shift in the next few seconds.

Also about the “Stealth Rendering Bug”, leaving stealth causes your character to slowly fade back into view but all spell effects you cause are immediately 100% visible. The 5 shots I shoot and the smoke coming off my gun are plain as day. Hell, the caltrops I drop when I roll are visible regardless of stealth. Look for spell effects and you’ll find the thief. He’s completely targetable even if the character model hasn’t loaded.

in Thief

Posted by: swinsk.6410

swinsk.6410

I’m not a fan of P/D build. I don’t like the length it takes to kill someone.

When I WvW I like to kill quickly and keep moving. The long you stay fighting the more people will add on you. No matter what build you are, you can’t kill anything while there is a zerg there.

Just another noob thief…

in Thief

Rumthorpe.7519

When I WvW I like to kill quickly and keep moving. The long you stay fighting the more people will add on you. No matter what build you are, you can’t kill anything while there is a zerg there.

I actually find it easier to kill people in large zergs. It’s such a flustercluck that most people don’t realize I just shot someone to death. The small gangs are usually harder because they will notice the dying guy and either knock me away or revive him. Usually both.

in Thief

Posted by: swinsk.6410

swinsk.6410

I rarely get killed in zerg fights because I don’t over extend. I am very patient and I wait for an enemy to make a mistake or find a weak one and drop him quickly and refuge or cnd for the stomp and get out.

I rarely fight with the zerg tho. I roam wvw solo for the most part. When fighting some noob in between his keep and his border keep you need to drop him fast or he will just run away.

Just another noob thief…

in Thief

Posted by: E Tan.7385

E Tan.7385

Well the P&D weapons usage is, for me, mostly made to kite around, and of course there is a huge lack of burst damage.

Also his build without any boost of the precission / power stat dont help at all.
Since he was only able to kill player who wasnt lvl 80 or under geared player ( yep GW2 is a gear game after all )

But thats the GW2 problem, lack of real build viability, and worse since they linked stat and traits and those over-stated gear have a too important place in the game.

Anyway, the build is fun, the video is really nice.
But the viability look way too much limited since you cant really kill anyone you want Or it take age

( and thats too bad since the P&D “combo” is pretty nice )

Also. About most Sin “build” who are only resumed with auto-attack + one or rarely 2 skill its because of the initiative management, and not so handy way to get it back. ( like you could have mana back in GW1 ) So its at start very restrictive

“we leave the grind to other MMOs.”
Mike Obrien
Legen – Wait for It – dary joke

(edited by E Tan.7385)

in Thief

Suralin.3947

Well the P&D weapons usage is, for me, mostly made to kite around, and of course there is a huge lack of burst damage.

Also his build without any boost of the precission / power stat dont help at all.
Since he was only able to kill player who wasnt lvl 80 or under geared player ( yep GW2 is a gear game after all )

But thats the GW2 problem, lack of real build viability, and worse since they linked stat and traits and those over-stated gear have a too important place in the game.

Anyway, the build is fun, the video is really nice.
But the viability look way too much limited since you cant really kill anyone you want Or it take age

( and thats too bad since the P&D “combo” is pretty nice )

Also. About most Sin “build” who are only resumed with auto-attack + one or rarely 2 skill its because of the initiative management, and not so handy way to get it back. ( like you could have mana back in GW1 ) So its at start very restrictive

P/D Condition thieves stack up might. There are traits that allow us to stack up during stealth and during dodge. It’s very easy to get more than 10 stacks of might, accounting for over 100d bleeds.

And the notion that it might take “ages” to kill someone is silly. Yes, it takes longer, but you’re far less likely to die, too. Sure, a burst thief can go in, deal his damage and then move away when things aren’t going well, but a condition thief like P/D can circle and circle and circle all day long, tie up enemies, and still bleed them out. I also find P/D/DD condition thieves more capable of handling burst thieves who attempt BS. Once the burst thief misses, he most likely won’t be able to get away from a condition thief who’s dropped caltrops. And because of their low vit and are less likely to have the remove conditions in stealth, they will bleed out sooner.

in Thief

Posted by: dragoaskani.6271

dragoaskani.6271

The video itself was done in an entertaining way. However it seemed most of the fights culling played a huge part in, and I’m not really a fan of the utility setup you are running. Just personal preference but I prefer to abuse caltrops with a 24second cooldown.

“Same Thing we do every night pinky…”

in Thief

Posted by: Bleeds.4029

Bleeds.4029

I am running as much of this build right now as I possibly can at lvl 45 in wvw and I really like it. I gave up caltrops for the ability to stealth more frequently and without the need to be in physical contact with a target. I really, really like it so far! At 45 and obviously under geared I am not pulling down enormous damage of course, but I can really harass the crapola out of the enemy and get away. I am also running thieves guild right now instead of dagger storm which causes even more chaos.

So, thanks for posting it! It is also more sturdy in PVE, which is making non-wvw leveling much more enjoyable.

in Thief

Posted by: EpicSuperFail.9518

EpicSuperFail.9518

Does anybody know what color dyes his thief is wearing?

in Thief

Posted by: Thanos.2970

Thanos.2970

How can you beat this spec? Yesterday I had several encounters with a P/D thief and I just could not find a way to beat him. (He won 3vs1 several times)

in Thief

Posted by: Bluebird.1890

Bluebird.1890

Thanos: Honestly, without a ton of aoe it is simply not possible to beat this spec right now.

I’ve had a P/D bunkerfest against other thieves that never ends myself.

This is not because the class is broken or unbalanced. There is one simple reason that this is overpowered right now:

Culling.

For a large number of people, including those with high end machines and stable internet connections, players do not appear out of stealth for 1 or 2 seconds after stealth wears off.

This lends stealth heavy bunker builds like this an extreme edge, because you have literally one-three seconds to damage the thief before he’s just back in stealth again.

TL;DR version: Nice playing, man, but this build really is broken right now, in every sense of the word.

in Thief

Bluebird.1890

I should note that above was applicable to WvWvW (W3), not sPvP, as the culling issue is much better there now.

It is JUST the culling portion that makes this spec infuriating to fight against/cheap to play as.

in Thief

Thanos.2970

I am pretty sure the thief we fought did not use the culling issue but just waited for the stealth to run out, used the auto attack when ever his endurance was not full so he could stealth immediatly after shooting without any delay. If his endurance was full he would attack from stealth, stack 5 bleeds, dodge, doge, stealth again. I don´t think that fixing the culling issues will prevent this.

in Thief

Bluebird.1890

Thanos:

The culling issue is what causes him to appear to be in stealth for so long anyway.

in Thief

Thanos.2970

I know what culling is, but if you wait till you reapear till you attack you can just autoattack, CnD and be gone again without any debuff that prevents you from stealthing for 3 seconds. Even without any culling it would be incredibly hard to retaliate. Even more so if there are NPCs close that might prevent you from immediately targetting the thief.
I will test this with my thief tonight.

in Thief

Posted by: Scootabuser.4915

Scootabuser.4915

I was so excited I thought it might be a S/D power vitality toughness thief

Insert Personal Achievements and/or Youtube Channel Here

in Thief

Bluebird.1890

I know what culling is, but if you wait till you reapear till you attack you can just autoattack, CnD and be gone again without any debuff that prevents you from stealthing for 3 seconds. Even without any culling it would be incredibly hard to retaliate. Even more so if there are NPCs close that might prevent you from immediately targetting the thief.
I will test this with my thief tonight.

This is intended. You can’t do any damage with just auto attack on pistol. If this is killing anyone, they’ve got some serious issues.

If you don’t do an attack out of stealth, you don’t get the Revealed debuff.