Teach Me, Wise Ones

Teach Me, Wise Ones

in Thief

Posted by: TactualRain.7109

TactualRain.7109

Q:

I was playing some tPvP yesterday, and had a mano e mano at a cap point with a thief.

That sounds like it was some sort of big fight, but let’s be honest: it was a bit more one-sided than that. The other player (thief) was zipping in and out of stealth, performing some eye-watering alpha strikes, and going back into stealth. It was like fighting a Jack Russell terrier, the kitten thing wouldn’t sit still and could only be targeted for about a nanosecond.

My first thought, during the spinning grey camera of death, was, “Huh. How about that.”

My second thought was, “Oh master, teach me. I must know how that is done.”

My current main is a Mesmer, which is a heap of fun, but I’d like to understand the mechanics that this thief was using, and – ah hah – replicate them. I really don’t grock thief at all – can anyone maybe point me at a spec/suggestions/tutorial videos that might show how this was done? I want to learn

Teach Me, Wise Ones

in Thief

Posted by: Incurafy.6329

Incurafy.6329

A:

It may have also been a D/D Thief using Cloak and Dagger to proc stealth off of hitting you but we can’t really be too sure without a little more detail of the fight.

What did your combat log say? Was it Backstab that killed you? Did you ever get hit by Black Powder followed by Heartseeker? What about Shadow Shot or Cloak and Dagger?

thiefhitfor2kbetternerf
all is vain

Teach Me, Wise Ones

in Thief

Posted by: Travlane.5948

Travlane.5948

its a dagger/pistol build that runs decent dmg but not super high and runs traits in crit…shadow arts…and acrobatics. theres plenty of it you can read. if he was going in and out like you say they he was a hacker. you cfan only go back invis AFTER 4 seconds of being visible…..this being called the revealed debuff (you only get this if u leave the full duration of invisbility early…aka ATTACK) so the trick is….in any pvp…BRING CC SKILLS mesmer phantasm build can beat d/p too. just make sure you time your dodges about 2.5 secs after they go invis. you will get used to when they attack and where they like to go. it usually the same with most thieves.

Teach Me, Wise Ones

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

The build is not what beat you, because everyone has access to that information, instead it’s the dedication and hard work of that thief. To make 4s seems like “nanosecond” to you is a sign of a brilliant thief indeed.

As for the builds and tutorial, all you have to do is search. There are also a lot of most recent postings of builds.

EDIT: Here’s a link to a forum with links to guides – enjoy
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/thief/Guide-to-Thief-Guides/first

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

(edited by Sir Vincent III.1286)

Teach Me, Wise Ones

in Thief

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

It may have also been a D/D Thief using Cloak and Dagger to proc stealth off of hitting you but we can’t really be too sure without a little more detail of the fight.

What did your combat log say? Was it Backstab that killed you? Did you ever get hit by Black Powder followed by Heartseeker? What about Shadow Shot or Cloak and Dagger?

Yea, it definitely sounds like the thief was waiting for stealth to run out, then using Cloak and Dagger (offhand dagger skill #5) to re-stealth.

Teach Me, Wise Ones

in Thief

TactualRain.7109

Thanks for the replies guys – I’m thinking it sounds like a D/D in terms of effects. I can’t comment on combat log as that’s yesterday’s news, but you’ve given me some great places to start.

Thanks again for the replies – one of the things that makes GW great is the helpful community. I’m still learning and get something new everyday

Teach Me, Wise Ones

in Thief

TactualRain.7109

The build is not what beat you, because everyone has access to that information, instead it’s the dedication and hard work of that thief. To make 4s seems like “nanosecond” to you is a sign of a brilliant thief indeed.Guides/first

QFT. The guy seemed like a wizard to me.

I’m not here because I think it was OP, I’m here because I thought it was awesome I’m pretty terribad at PvP – 30th percentile according to the leaderboards – but I think it’s a fun game, and I like learning how people do stuff. I figure over time I might get to the 31st percentile

Thanks for the link!

Teach Me, Wise Ones

in Thief

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

its a dagger/pistol build that runs decent dmg but not super high and runs traits in crit…shadow arts…and acrobatics. theres plenty of it you can read. if he was going in and out like you say they he was a hacker. you cfan only go back invis AFTER 4 seconds of being visible…..this being called the revealed debuff (you only get this if u leave the full duration of invisbility early…aka ATTACK) so the trick is….in any pvp…BRING CC SKILLS mesmer phantasm build can beat d/p too. just make sure you time your dodges about 2.5 secs after they go invis. you will get used to when they attack and where they like to go. it usually the same with most thieves.

No one sane runs shadow arts and acrobatics in pvp.

Teach Me, Wise Ones

in Thief

Posted by: Karolis.4261

Karolis.4261

I do. And pretty much every non glass thief does.

PvP hero Valentin in action!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HiYUlhsO_M
cough*keyboardturningclicker*cough

Teach Me, Wise Ones

in Thief

Posted by: Brtiva.9721

Brtiva.9721

The build is not what beat you, because everyone has access to that information, instead it’s the dedication and hard work of that thief. To make 4s seems like “nanosecond” to you is a sign of a brilliant thief indeed.Guides/first

QFT. The guy seemed like a wizard to me.

I’m not here because I think it was OP, I’m here because I thought it was awesome I’m pretty terribad at PvP – 30th percentile according to the leaderboards – but I think it’s a fun game, and I like learning how people do stuff. I figure over time I might get to the 31st percentile

Thanks for the link!

And some applause for you as well, seeking to learn rather than screaming “nerf!” Not a common thing in the forums, sadly.

Teach Me, Wise Ones

in Thief

TactualRain.7109

And some applause for you as well, seeking to learn rather than screaming “nerf!” Not a common thing in the forums, sadly.

Thanks. So far I’ve not found a lot that needs a nerf, it’s always a skills gap (at least at my level of play). I think I’ve found some situations where classes need a buff or a bit more build variety (seriously, how many D/D eles are there really?), but overall the game feels pretty good.

I also really like that – for the most part – map chat in tPvP is friendly and fun. Lots of “glhf” rather than “die in a carpet fire.” Makes a really nice change.

Teach Me, Wise Ones

in Thief

Posted by: Lukrath.6982

Lukrath.6982

why is evry1 saying d/d? d/d sucks(imo) it was OBVIOUSLY d/p. with b powder+ HS

Teach Me, Wise Ones

in Thief

Posted by: Incurafy.6329

Incurafy.6329

No one is saying that it was definitely D/D, all that has been said is that it’s a possibility based on the limited amount of information given. Also, your opinion doesn’t matter, it’s irrelevant, and just because you think that D/P is better doesn’t make it obvious that it was D/P.

Seriously, how the hell did you even jump to such a stupid conclusion?

thiefhitfor2kbetternerf
all is vain

Teach Me, Wise Ones

in Thief

Posted by: iNaddict.8021

iNaddict.8021

that is plenty viable.. what on earth makes you think its not.

Teach Me, Wise Ones

in Thief

haviz.1340

Exactly. Thief is picked for burst. You can be extravagant and play something different, doesn’t mean it’s optimal.

Viable as staff ele and warrior. You don’t pick shadow arts because pvp is about capping points and you can’t cap while being invisible. You can’t defend node and you will have trouble killing bunkers.

Teach Me, Wise Ones

in Thief

Posted by: Karolis.4261

Karolis.4261

Exactly. Thief is picked for burst. You can be extravagant and play something different, doesn’t mean it’s optimal.

Viable as staff ele and warrior. You don’t pick shadow arts because pvp is about capping points and you can’t cap while being invisible. You can’t defend node and you will have trouble killing bunkers.

Like I play spvp so I can cap/defend nodes… I play it to kill clueless glass cannon thieves spamming 222222 and thinking that they are bursting.

PvP hero Valentin in action!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HiYUlhsO_M
cough*keyboardturningclicker*cough

Teach Me, Wise Ones

in Thief

haviz.1340

You can do that with pretty much every build.

Teach Me, Wise Ones

in Thief

Posted by: Elmuerto.9840

Elmuerto.9840

Good on you OP for coming and asking. On the other hand I see so many players unable to track the actual mesmer in pvp for some reason and I’m one of those thieves that do.

CC is the key to thieves a locked down one can’t do much.

Teach Me, Wise Ones

in Thief

Posted by: Lukrath.6982

Lukrath.6982

No one is saying that it was definitely D/D, all that has been said is that it’s a possibility based on the limited amount of information given. Also, your opinion doesn’t matter, it’s irrelevant, and just because you think that D/P is better doesn’t make it obvious that it was D/P.

Seriously, how the hell did you even jump to such a stupid conclusion?

I was just saying what I think it was :P chillax man. I thought it was d/p over d/d cuz I haven’t seen many good d/d lately and iv seen some REALLY good d/p people and to make the 4 sec reveal seem like out of stealth for a nano second u would have to be good. besides which arent u saying my conclusion is stupid just after u said either is possible?

Teach Me, Wise Ones

in Thief

TactualRain.7109

Just an update: started a thief alt using D/D and it’s hilarious fun no idea what I’m doing other than clicking buttons but it’s good times

Thanks again for the helpful replies.

Teach Me, Wise Ones

in Thief

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Just an update: started a thief alt using D/D and it’s hilarious fun no idea what I’m doing other than clicking buttons but it’s good times

Thanks again for the helpful replies.

If you want to look really fancy, try rolling an all acrobatics bleed D/D with no stealth utilities. The down side is that you have virtually zero passive defenses. The up side is you have nearly infinite evades, can still kill everything but condi necros pretty efficiently, and are as much or more “pinball” than the famed D/D ele. It’s tricky, you have to know the attack animations of pretty much everything, but the payoff is worth it when you see it in action.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Teach Me, Wise Ones

in Thief

TactualRain.7109

The up side is you have nearly infinite evades, can still kill everything but condi necros pretty efficiently, and are as much or more “pinball” than the famed D/D ele. It’s tricky, you have to know the attack animations of pretty much everything, but the payoff is worth it when you see it in action.

How is that you can read my mind through the Internet? This is exactly the kind of thing I want

Teach Me, Wise Ones

in Thief

Posted by: Katsumoto.9452

Katsumoto.9452

Zipping around all over the place sounds like a S/D thief with initiative regen traits to me. With shadow step and blinding powder, combined with sword 2 you can be all over the place if done right, and cnd on mesmer illusions or the mesmer itself for the stealth.

Aurora Glade [EU]

Teach Me, Wise Ones

in Thief

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Zipping around all over the place sounds like a S/D thief with initiative regen traits to me. With shadow step and blinding powder, combined with sword 2 you can be all over the place if done right, and cnd on mesmer illusions or the mesmer itself for the stealth.

Truth/ S/D evasion is also very strong for survival.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Teach Me, Wise Ones

in Thief

Posted by: Lexx.5780

Lexx.5780

For the “evasion build” or as Lowell calls it, “Leaping Super Immortal Death Troll Legendary Unicorn Blossom” check out his (Lowell’s) guide on GW2Guru:

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/45902-lowells-ultimate-spvp-thief-guide-wip/

It’s a D/D build, probably the same PopeUrban was talking about, with heavy condition damage and a lot of evades. You can also try the same build with a Shortbow for some fun (#3, dodge heal, roll for initiative, shadowstep). Have fun.

Quis qustodiet custodes?

(edited by Lexx.5780)

Teach Me, Wise Ones

in Thief

TactualRain.7109

For the “evasion build” or as Lowell calls it, “Leaping Super Immortal Death Troll Legendary Unicorn Blossom” check out his (Lowell’s) guide on GW2Guru:

Lowell:

You will never be alone. If you get kicked from your team/guild, you just need to use your elite spell Thieves Guild, it’s an instant « summon-friend » button;
You will at least once go for a 30 acrobatics build, equip a shortbow that you will use to spam Disabling Shot use the utility spells Shadowstep and Roll for Initiative, the healing spell Withdraw and troll the hell out of people, being untouchable and yelling « HOHO, HAHA, HOHO » everytime you dodge something with 1 of your 102123912192 evades.

That’s just gold.