The thief and its gameplay - Your feedback [Merged]

in Thief

Posted by: Warzog.6315

Warzog.6315

After reading many, but far from all of the above, I am dismayed to discover that the PvP’ers are wanting to nerf the Thief from PvE play, if not from PvP play as well.
They already nerfed the Thief’s only underwater Elite, as well as most of the underwater skills (all of the venoms) out of usefulness.
I can understand the need to make PvP balanced, but they’ve nerfed so much, only the guardian and warrior are easy to play in PvE.
And… Instead of your character creation selections affecting which skills you get based on say for Human’s based on the god that blessed you, or the Norn based on the spirit you had a vision of, the PvP’ers got them to give us access to all of them, and that’s changed PvE forever. (Removed a good part of the rpg element from the game.)
And what about the profession mechanic? The Thief has Steal. (Should be called Suicide, ‘cause you’re gonna die if you use it in the middle of a mob.) Only the Ranger’s profession mechanic, the pet is as bad. (It lasts just long enough to aggro a mob to swarm you to death, and you can’t get rid of the stupid thing! At least, during the BWE’s you could let it die, and then get on with your life.)

in Thief

Posted by: jan.9745

jan.9745

Yah and just ignore this issue! Lets have fun we can create a thief anytime so dont worry., let us close our eyes., pretend nothing yow!

That’s a great idea. In the interim, why don’t you and Columba take this time to roll thieves and just faceroll on godmode like you so boldly state. Post videos, too, because your word is about as good as your English.

+1

Its hard to roll a thief may be its easy to role a thief F.Y.I. i already have level 80 thief

in Thief

Posted by: kenshinakh.3672

kenshinakh.3672

Hm, I got a question for those of you demanding excessive nerfs on Thieves. So, I got an 80 thief, warrior, and elementalists. On all 3 of these characters, I have no problems with fighting thieves on even ground or even defeating them. That’s why any big changes/nerf to thieves would seem wrong to me.

How about we work on improving people’s skill levels, the culling, and then finally judge thieves on fair grounds? Maybe someone could start a guide on giving tips on countering thieves with X class. WvW culling issue is being worked on by Anet so it won’t be long either.

in Thief

Posted by: Columba.9730

Columba.9730

After reading many, but far from all of the above, I am dismayed to discover that the PvP’ers are wanting to nerf the Thief from PvE play, if not from PvP play as well.
They already nerfed the Thief’s only underwater Elite, as well as most of the underwater skills (all of the venoms) out of usefulness.
I can understand the need to make PvP balanced, but they’ve nerfed so much, only the guardian and warrior are easy to play in PvE.
And… Instead of your character creation selections affecting which skills you get based on say for Human’s based on the god that blessed you, or the Norn based on the spirit you had a vision of, the PvP’ers got them to give us access to all of them, and that’s changed PvE forever. (Removed a good part of the rpg element from the game.)
And what about the profession mechanic? The Thief has Steal. (Should be called Suicide, ‘cause you’re gonna die if you use it in the middle of a mob.) Only the Ranger’s profession mechanic, the pet is as bad. (It lasts just long enough to aggro a mob to swarm you to death, and you can’t get rid of the stupid thing! At least, during the BWE’s you could let it die, and then get on with your life.)

I really don’t care what they do with thieves outside WvWvW. Buff them up. The culling bug in WvWvW is making them imbalanced, and that needs to stop. If they can’t fix culling in the next few weeks, they should tweak thieves in WvWvW only. Clearly that’s feasible since its been done and because they are planning WvWvW only skills.

only thieves know how to play, they chant “L2P” every time their god mode is challenged.

in Thief

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

Just fix culling and call it a day. Half of these suggestion are so way off its funny. Seriously you think they will just get rid of stealth and leave the class alone?

If you took away stealth nobody in their right mind would seriously touch the class. Im suppose to vital shot you to death? D/D auto attack in plan sight? Oh thats fun yea. Oh snap you can actually see I just popped a venom you better leave making my venom useles.

Its the damage and the damage is accessed for the most part from stealth a thief gets in kills someone and gets out. Lets say you take the fabulous suggestion of extending the reveal buff? Whats that do for that single target that the thief picked out? Nothing at all he is still dead if the thief is on the ball. The thief doesnt go CnD-Mug CnD. Its backstab and extending the reveal buff would do nothing to change the damage done by those attacks nor would it make it harder for the thief to get away. It just makes it harder to stomp. Then you just have the same thieves going in to down people and leaving not caring about the stomp at all. There are still plenty of tools for a thief to get away even with a longer reveal buff.

Is changing the reveal buff going to change the executioner trait? Any of the 25 point skills in the trait line? No is it going to change the haste utility? No. All the people complaining will die just as fast especially if they where to extend the reveal buff most the GC thieves complained about would probably start to carry haste all the time dropping Signet of shadows for Signet of agility and still have shadow step on the bar and still get away.

Extending the reveal buff hurts really only the P/D spec maybe a bit to S/D.

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

(edited by oZii.2864)

in Thief

Posted by: Hospis.4607

Hospis.4607

Keep the stealth as is but lose the burst. Oh you want to keep the burst, then nerf stealth. Choose. Having amazing burst combined with stealth that doesnt break on damage or have cooldowns is OP and for non thieves is an extremely negative play experience.

in Thief

Columba.9730

Keep the stealth as is but lose the burst. Oh you want to keep the burst, then nerf stealth. Choose. Having amazing burst combined with stealth that doesnt break on damage or have cooldowns is OP and for non thieves is an extremely negative play experience.

Not sure this is right, but with culling, thieves can max out dps and still get permastealth. They dont have to choose. That’s the issue. How long should we wait for a fix?

only thieves know how to play, they chant “L2P” every time their god mode is challenged.

in Thief

Posted by: Libersevenad.8275

Libersevenad.8275

hi I think dancing dagger should go back the way it was or a bit less (just a bit) but with a significant cooldown, something from 2-3.5 sec so that it can’t be spammable, like this i think heartseeker should also have like a 0.5~0.9sec (I actually tested this stuff quite a lot) .these two due to the fact that one’s avarage damage is too low per iniciative and the other is too high (speacially when boosted by other stuff like haste). Backstab imo is fine people just need to learn to play and stop running glass canon builds unless they know how to. I think sword should get a buff through traits because it has a lot of potential but 7/10 is at disadvantage with its rival melee weapon, something more mechanicallike an improve to its stealth attack for example, not some 5% damage boost like dagger training. traps need rework. i honestly don’t know what to make out of dagger storm.

All of my opinions are based on spvp environment and I could be here for days writing but it wouldnt be appropriate so i just listed the first things i got to mind. of course the class in general needs polishing but isnt the only one. Thanks ANet for listening to the community you’re the best.

in Thief

Posted by: Libersevenad.8275

Libersevenad.8275

i dont think that stealth idea is good i like it the way it is now it just needs to be set in a way so it cant be abused

in Thief

jan.9745

The only problem is the C&D , make the C&D effective only if they stab at the back of the enemy. That thing can make the thief balance., thief said L2P so let us teach them too on how to stab on the back. Thats there profession stabing on the back., i think this is not a big deal to them.,

(edited by jan.9745)

in Thief

Posted by: PolishSausage.1279

PolishSausage.1279

Stealth definitely needs to be fixed up so that it’s not as easy to spam. Maybe increase the cooldowns on stealth moves, or increase the timeframe that someone cannot go back into stealth, so that a Thief actually has to commit to a fight instead of just blindly running into a group, spamming skills, then running off scot free at the slightest hint of danger. It’s already annoying as it is in WvW when a Thief can just run in, take off half of someone’s health in less than a second, stealth away, then repeat as many times as needed. Takes three or four people just to be able to track down one Thief as it is.

It’s not fun to fight against, and it’s sure as hell not fair for everyone else.

in Thief

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

The only problem is the C&D , make the C&D effective only if they stab at the back of the enemy. …

Wouldn’t work in PvE because mob-AI succeeds where players fail; mobs always face you.

in Thief

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

One suggestion I thought up was that there’s increasing penalties to stealth, and movement speed the longer a thief remains in combat. So his first few stealthing’s are free, but after that with compounding interest the cooldown before being able to stealth again increases exponentially (note: not skill CD’s, just any stealth effect attached).

The next problem is that the thief can use his “lol, im gonna stealth now and run away” trick, reset the fight (and the stealthing penalty) and come back. So to counter this, the longer the thief stays in the fight, using his stealth, and increasing his stealth cooldown, the more movement speed penalty he takes to a maximum effect (-33% for arguments sake). So he can pop his last stealth and make a run for it, but he’s not going to get far and can be chased down reasonably well.

That way thieves get to have their cake, but other players get to eat it too.

in Thief

Posted by: DanH.5879

DanH.5879

i have the feeling that a-net are ninja nerfing thief without posing the modifications
and yes i do agree we are weak at pve compared to warriors for example.

from my point of view it is more than enough we have low hp pool and medium armor and stealth
compared to warriors who have high hp pool (almost double) and heavy armor and high dps damage !

but still we are nerfed even further, WHY ? (if i may ask)

in Thief

Posted by: loneknight.8425

loneknight.8425

I don’t mind trading shorter stealth for higher hp pool & toughness so we won’t go down in 1-2 hits; and please change the profession name ‘Thief’ to ‘Mugger’, because that will be appropriate for those who go about their act in plain sight of their victims.

The thief who did dat – Crystal Desert

in Thief

Posted by: Seod.7924

Seod.7924

Add a decent cooldown between stealths.

A thief shouldn’t be able to stealth,burst,stealth,burst,(getting hit bad) stealth away.
Should be, stealth, burst/fight, dodge/survive, run away, repeat burst or stealth away if cooldown is over.

I’m not greedy, i would even buff stealth to last longer, giving a thief a good sneaking attack or a good way to escape. However, out of stealth, you would have to fight and survive for X seconds before using stealth again.

It’s my opinion but i think it would force thieves to use more of their mobility skills rather than stealth. Besides, it’s not like thieves are lacking mobility…

in Thief

Posted by: brunohstein.9038

brunohstein.9038

I’m all for a little stealth nerf, but always remember that the thief will only be “perma-stealthed” if you let him.

Without landing his Cloak and Dagger (easily avoidable), he will have to face long cooldowns to get into stealth.

in Thief

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

I disagree with posts saying that our backstab crit builds need to be nerfed. Any player that runs a glass cannon build is going to drop a target real quickly. Yes, that person will pump out 15k+ in a matter of seconds. But that person can also be taken down fairly quickly as well. Me, I am running a backstab crit build, but not as glass cannon as most. I chose traits to increase vitality, when I could have increased dmg. I chose traits to make sure that I never run out of initiative, instead of choosing more up front damage.

Its all how you build your character. Me, I chose the path that will leave me with less grief in the end(a bit more survivability, and never ending initiative…unless Im seekerspamming at the end).

Also, I like steal, but it feels very underwhelming compared to some classes class-specific abilities. Not sure what can be done to fix this, but compared to an eviscerate, or deathshroud(yes I went there, if traited…aoe heal, a few seconds of no HP loss, decent damage especially traited…its fine), its underwhelming.

Stealth is the best defense in the game, so a glass canon Thief is MUCH safer than say a glass canon Warrior. Not only that, but the best defense in the game are the procs available to crit builds.

Completely disagree. Aegis is the best defense in the game, not stealth. While in stealth you are still able to take condition damage via condition fields.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

in Thief

Posted by: Faeyd.5094

Faeyd.5094

PvP and WvW mileage differ. Don’t change anything in PvP thanks… folks in there already do well vs thieves. I was on ranger most of the evening yesterday and harvested the poor kittens for hours.

Tiger

in Thief

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Balancing due to pvp needs to stop. Anet has said they will seperate the balance when needed, and they can. I am sick of changes to thieves(and classes in general) because some whiney <insert class here> complains about a thief critting their face off. News flash: Once they are down 1-2 shotting you, most of their burst is on cooldown. They are vulnerable and now hit like wet noodles. Go get them and stop posting on the forums to screw with other aspects of the game(my pve).

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

in Thief

Posted by: Die Schwarzklinge.4739

Die Schwarzklinge.4739

In my opinion thief is well balanced right now. He can kill fast, but he gets killed fast, if you dont look out. Its just a matter of personal skill.
I only see right now one HUGE problem: the teleporting.
While in PvE this problem isn’t dramatically at all, in sPvP it is just awful. You try to escape onto a rock where you did teleport once, but this time you get stuck. The only way back is to tp again. This problem even happens without any structure in front of you. The skill “Infiltrator’s Arrow” gets you stuck soooo often. It’s horrible…

in Thief

Posted by: habbe.2986

habbe.2986

A lot of people complain about “perma-stealth”.
One thing that can be done about it is giving you a second debuff besides the one making you unable to stealth.
That would be a 10(?) sec stacking debuff making stealth last shorter.
The debuff will make stealth last 50% shorter down to 1 sec minimum stealth.

Thoughts about this?

in Thief

Posted by: Ghost.2079

Ghost.2079

Each page is full of lulz.

Wish they’d tie threads like this to check accounts for a thief. This is about thief gameplay, not QQ about getting killed.

Aside from that, the versatility is what I see in these discussions. Expand that and the types of thieves will become more varied. Torch offhand, better venom sharing, etc. Nothing specific, just along those lines.

Any class in any game with stealth gets a large portion of the complaints. This won’t change.

in Thief

jan.9745

I’m all for a little stealth nerf, but always remember that the thief will only be “perma-stealthed” if you let him.

Without landing his Cloak and Dagger (easily avoidable), he will have to face long cooldowns to get into stealth.

See guyz this is the only problem.. Its not easy to avoid C&D if thief can stab it anywhere., espicially to ranger and necro and mesmmer., how you can avoid C&D if your pet is near to the thief and your illusion is not moving? Thats why the only solution that will not hurt the Thief is to make there C&D effective only when they succesfully stab at the back of the enemy not on the front or the side., its there profession so why not make the C&D effective only if they stab on the back?

in Thief

oZii.2864

The only problem is the C&D , make the C&D effective only if they stab at the back of the enemy. That thing can make the thief balance., thief said L2P so let us teach them too on how to stab on the back. Thats there profession stabing on the back., i think this is not a big deal to them.,

Ill take this as you obviously have no clue what constitutes a side and back attack in GW2. You should go to the mist on a thief and see what it is you will be suprised. You will also be more wiser in future posts.

{Thief}

in Thief

Columba.9730

Wish they’d tie threads like this to check accounts for a thief. This is about thief gameplay, not QQ about getting killed.

Aside from that, the versatility is what I see in these discussions. Expand that and the types of thieves will become more varied. Torch offhand, better venom sharing, etc. Nothing specific, just along those lines.

Any class in any game with stealth gets a large portion of the complaints. This won’t change.

We’ve been directed here to provide feedback. That’s what we are doing.

in Thief

Columba.9730

Actually with the culling bug, it’s quite easy to remain perma stealthed.

in Thief

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

We’ve been directed here to provide feedback. That’s what we are doing.

You’ve been directed here to provide constructive feedback. That is not what I see from 90% of this thread.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

in Thief

Posted by: Bleeds.4029

Bleeds.4029

Disclaimer: Haven’t read the thread, all is just my opinion.

I currently have 5 level 80’s (Elementalist, Thief, Guardian, Ranger and Engineer) in exotics and a level 64 warrior coming up. Each clearly has it’s own playstyle, but I wanted to mention this because having all these characters gives me some perspectives from different angles.

To the topic;

PVE: My thief is probably my most frustrating class to play while being the most survivable at the same time. The damage of the thief in PvE doesn’t feel smooth to me. Mainly because it seems like my inititive is spent and I haven’t accomplished very much. The DPS in PvE is low and then to add in a veteran or, even worse, a champion and I wouldn’t dream of attempting a solo kill. Compare this with my guardian, there is a class that while he can’t stealth/shadowstep away from the fight he often doesn’t need to, it’s just a battle of attrition that he can win with patience. Thieves don’t control the scene in pve like they do in wvw. Being more squishy means a faster loss of life against multiple mobs and PvE fights against multiple mobs are very common. Thieves don’t seem to recuperate health the way (my) other classes do. I have tried several builds and, maybe it’s because I focus so much on damage traits, I can’t find anything that recovers life the same as I can pull with my other characters. For examples; My guardian uses a meditation healing build and the ever popular Signet of Resolve which is an almost 3/4 heal. My ranger can generate a tremendous amount of regeneration over a significant period of time. My elementalist is a healing machine and I can use distance, active healing, and passive healing all at once and it is heavily impacted by my healing skill. My engineer uses the healing kit so I get a short cooldown decent heal with additional heals from the kit and, if needed, significantly more packs from my elite. On the other hand, I can simply stealth and walk away from any fight that I have determined is too hard and I can wait until conditions are more favorable. The only problem with this is that it becomes a time sink where I am not accomplishing anything.

Recap – Low PvE DPS and low healing ability, the often times need to stealth away from combat to heal and start over under more favorable conditions creates a class that can be very frustrating. However, it easily has the best survivability simply by virtue of stealth.

WvW: In WvW the thief can be the day and night opposite of its PvE self. Anyone that has spent very much time in WvW has run into that WTFBBQPWN thief that is clearly glass cannon but it doesn’t matter because they are always in stealth and can land 3-4 hits all in excess of 4k damage before you can even register that they are there. These d/d builds are ridiculous. I am hearing that people are also learning to macro abilities in the game so that an attack chain like Steal → CnD → Backstab → CnD can all go off instantly. I am guessing this may be possible with a device such as my Razer Naga that has it’s own programable interface. These abilities are hitting too kitten hard! (for instance my guardian with 3200 armor has been hit for 4k, 5-6k, 7-8k, 5-6k that’s still more health than basically ANY guardian unless they found some way to have in excess of 21k hit points by gimping themselves in some other way!) So, while D/D thieves and P/D thieves are doing very well in WvW, there are still other builds that work well for others. S/P isn’t what it once was, but it is still viable. D/D conditions are working but are laughable against certain professions. P/P seems to still need some work. While it is viable, it suffers from repetition and high intiative costs. So please devs, turn some attention here.

Recap – WvW thieves are in a happy place I think. A person can play one lots of different ways and be successful. Good players can cause a significant disruption in their enemies’ ability to travel around and are fantastic in small skirmish settings. They can even function in the zerg.

SPvP – I don’t participate so I won’t speak to this.

in Thief

loneknight.8425

To sum up complaints in one sentence, “I can’t see kitten and can do nothing about it.”. Fine, until culling issue is solved, how about “Cloak & Dagger” with default 3sec stealth is replaced by a temporary WvW only skill “Shock & Awe” with 3sec Stun? The feeling of helplessness is still there, except you can see us moving in to bury daggers into your back.

So the next complain will be “I CAN see kitten, but can still do nothing about it.”. Refreshing.

in Thief

oZii.2864

http://dulfy.net/2013/01/17/gw2-dev-livestream-jan-17-transcript/

*Do you find any profession to be out of balance like Ele bunker, roamer, thief one shot combo, mesmer portal?

A. Ele bunker is really strong, on our watchlist
Mesmer portal is giving us problems –giving that tool onto other classes

Ele bunker is really strong, on our watchlist

There can we close this now? Stealth is not going away devs have no problem with stealth.

So after this entire full page of threads and QQ whats on the watch list? Bunker Ele thank you Anet Devs!! Watch list doesnt mean they will do anything to Bunker Ele.

{Thief}

(edited by oZii.2864)

in Thief

Posted by: mickers.2715

mickers.2715

Doing fine so far , Would like to see some different gametypes because stealth builds arent viable in Spvp simply because of the capture node. Also some broken traits in the shadow arts tree could be fixed.

in Thief

Columba.9730

*Do you find any profession to be out of balance like Ele bunker, roamer, thief one shot combo, mesmer portal?

There can we close this now? Stealth is not going away devs have no problem with stealth.

So after this entire full page of threads and QQ whats on the watch list? Bunker Ele thank you Anet Devs!! Watch list doesnt mean they will do anything to Bunker Ele.

Doesn’t prove anything. Even if they came out and said the its balanced, we still have a right to provide input.

in Thief

oZii.2864

Doesn’t prove anything. Even if they came out and said the its balanced, we still have a right to provide input.

Of course that is what the forums are for but what it does is hopefully slow down the prophet threads and posts that contain “I know a nerf is coming” “There has to be nerf cause this thread exists” “look at my stacked vitality build with no toughness why I die quick? Gotta be a nerf coming”

Provide all day long but the watch list comment is relevant to this entire thread and its provided input.

{Thief}

in Thief

jan.9745

Well lets us enjoy., its say’s there that they want you to feel comfortable., so if you are not comfortable to your class, go for a class that make you feel comfortable., anyways this is free to play. Dont expect to much enjoy

(edited by jan.9745)

in Thief

Posted by: Sahfur.5612

Sahfur.5612

When culling is fixed, I already have a build created simply to gank all of the ones that used to use bugs to be annoying. Enjoy WvW dominance. The current situation where people utilize culling bug builds comes at a very large future price. They already stated they found a way to recompile in such a way that they are close to fixing or limiting the culling bug.

\o/ happy day!

Plants, As far as I know are still, still bending toward
the light! And if we dance, until the heart explodes,
It’ll make this place ignite!

(edited by Sahfur.5612)

in Thief

Posted by: Engels.8537

Engels.8537

No answer from anet yet?

Some feedback?

Don’t talk to me about toughness and vitality, damage avoidance is all in this game

in Thief

Columba.9730

let’s hope that the culling bug fix addresses the huge imbalance. right now I don’t even rezz thieves on my server.

in Thief

loneknight.8425

let’s hope that the culling bug fix addresses the huge imbalance. right now I don’t even rezz thieves on my server.

Err…ok, I’m sure that means a lot to the thieves on your server.

in Thief

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

(Some classes are filling their roles, some are not) you are right because thief is a thief it is not an assassin. Why they have lethal damage?

To kill? Like every other profession. Really, like in many games, it’s all about that. We don’t have a pick-lock skill here, there aren’t any locks to pick in this game.

in Thief

Posted by: Incurafy.6329

Incurafy.6329

Actually with the culling bug, it’s quite easy to remain perma stealthed.

No, it’s not… wow, this is like the 5th thread you’ve posted that ignorant crap in.

thiefhitfor2kbetternerf
all is vain

in Thief

Posted by: tagnut.8621

tagnut.8621

Sick to death of near permanent invisibility, insane from invisibility 2s and dead burst, spinny spinny look i downed 6 people this time then vanished kitten, stomping from invisibility.

Listen in on open map chat – 9 out of 10 players hate and loath thieves as game breakingly overpowered.

Apparently though posting the 22k in 2s followed by another 11k from a total of four abilities is wrong.

Yes other games have got classes badly wrong but they’ve had the brains to fix them faster than this. i don’t give a rats kitten about snow – fix classes. Bring thieves down to a non game ruining level.

in Thief

oZii.2864

Come on I play a P/D thief and I have 21k hP and I don’t lose 22k in 2s never, never and I usually go after thieves when I play most of the time anyway.

At best I lose health fast if they proc haste or pop haste then dodge after basl cause its heartseeker time heal up. Fight reset in your favor most of the time.

{Thief}

in Thief

Posted by: tehsmooth.7493

tehsmooth.7493

engineer stolen item (throw gunk) when i use cloak and dagger IN this combo field i dont get stealth but i do get revealed debuff, sometimes i get a really quick like 0.5 sec visual stealth and i see my #1 change but it goes off to fast for ‘sneak attack’ or ‘backstab’ to work , its annoying because combing in this field with sneak attack gives 5 confusion and now i cant do this

in Thief

mickers.2715

In the future could blinding powder be changed to cancel the cloak and dagger animation or some other fix so we dont accidentally break the proc giving us a de-buff. I like this trait but its a 50/50 save you or kill you one.

Also about the posts above i run 1800 toughness and i dont think ive ever been hit more than 3.5k by steal or 6k by a backstab. But usually because they are so glassy i can do a 5k one straight back at them but i have more hp (18k).

You play ele dont you tagnut? if so use the power toughness vitality gear i do on my ele and it works great.

in Thief

Posted by: Topher.1684

Topher.1684

Sick to death of near permanent invisibility, insane from invisibility 2s and dead burst, spinny spinny look i downed 6 people this time then vanished kitten, stomping from invisibility.

Listen in on open map chat – 9 out of 10 players hate and loath thieves as game breakingly overpowered.

Apparently though posting the 22k in 2s followed by another 11k from a total of four abilities is wrong.

Yes other games have got classes badly wrong but they’ve had the brains to fix them faster than this. i don’t give a rats kitten about snow – fix classes. Bring thieves down to a non game ruining level.

And there’s a silly assumption. I wasn’t. No debuffs for additional damage, no self activated abilities that caused me to take additional damage. Not a glass canon. None of the silly strawman arguments you desperately throw up to try and argue thieves aren’t op’d.

Just pure op’d thief damage.

It’s been a while since I’ve checked in on these forums. How have you not learned how to counter thieves yet? I won’t go over them since you seem to think they are all the standard BS responses that only thieves use. I don’t, and never really have had any issues with thieves, at least no more then any other class. I play Thief, Elementalist, Warrior and Guardian. All fully geared out (Elementalist is like 90% complete). If I had to choose one of those classes however, my Warrior would be the one that has the most issues with thieves, but then again, you can’t be good against every single class.

But just because I can (sorry I lied):
-learn to dodge

-learn when to dodge

-bring stun breakers

-don’t play GS (and yes, in order to see 15k+ BS you need to have very little toughness, regardless of what people are posting here) unless you are prepared to die…a lot

-don’t play bunker and complain that the thief runs away when they can’t kill you

-just because a thief can be hard to catch, it doesn’t mean they are impossible to kill (try to catch an Elemenalist or Mesmer that is determined to get away from you)

-don’t post screenshots as “proof”, all they show is you got hit for a lot of damage, with no evidence of how it happened

-if you want to post proof, post a video of you being destroyed, with your equipment window open so we can all see what damage you take when you have your “non GC gear” on…this will also help show the forums that you weren’t afk while this was happening…

This isn’t directed at you (but it is against all those that post garbage, while saying thieves are the only class being played in WvW and they are destroying this system).

Do Thieves need a nerf? No. Do they need tweaks? Absolutely, just like every other class atm. Anet has posted about how they have changes coming up for the rendering/culling/whatever you want to call it.

Also, to those that are laughing about how long this post is and trying to use it as proof that thieves need a nerf, I invite you to actually read this entire thread. The vast majority of the posts are people repeating the same arguments (against and for), and the majority of those I would say are the same group of people (myself included…way back in the teenpages). This thread seems to be the dumping ground for the thief forums (with the help of the mods).

(edited by Moderator)

in Thief

Posted by: tagnut.8621

tagnut.8621

So lemme see then your advice is:

- don’t play bunker cos the thief can escape whenever he wants 9despite all thieves on here saying you have to stack defense)
- don’t play dps as the thief will kill you
- be able to dodge 7 or 8 times in a row
- stack multiple stun breakers

Anything else?

Oh yes – be a thief. cos thats the only way to consistantly kill or escape another thief.

Stop the bull. There’s noone left ingame who believes thieves aren’t severely overpowered.

in Thief

mickers.2715

Is this purely WvW where they are giving you a hard time? What class do you play tagnut im just curious.

in Thief

Posted by: Vitu.3580

Vitu.3580

A well played thief is nearly impossible to kill on my Guardian. Their ability to stealth multiple times for extended periods of time means either I can’t do damage to kill them and they end up bursting me down, or I end up getting lucky with AoEs and they just run away in stealth never to be seen again.

Just one scenario from today: I found a thief 1v1 and initiated the fight. He opened with stealth and as soon as he started doing damage I used Shelter just do soak up as much of his HS spam as I could. He then stealthed again and I started AoEing where I thought he was. Must have worked because I saw him for a split second and then he stealthed again and ran off.

I had taken little damage and had done some nice damage to him (though I couldn’t tell how much because I couldn’t ever see his health bar).

I decided to attempt a pursuit because I saw him running way off in the distance. He must have switched a utility or something because when I caught up to him again (he was actually waiting otherwise i never would have gotten close to catching him) he stealthed, then opened with a stun and proceeded to burst me down before I even realized what had happened.

Long story short, I think stealth is just way too overpowered in this game when used by a decent player and can be such a powerful survivability tool that a player can invest entirely in damage and still be very hard to kill.

Edit: Though there are some thieves that I can just ROFLstomp they tend to lack skill or don’t use stealth effectively. In roughly half of my encounters with Thieves where I end up winning, the Thief just stealths and runs away.

(edited by Vitu.3580)

in Thief

Posted by: Karolis.4261

Karolis.4261

A well played thief is nearly impossible to kill on my Guardian. Their ability to stealth multiple times for extended periods of time means either I can’t do damage to kill them and they end up bursting me down, or I end up getting lucky with AoEs and they just run away in stealth never to be seen again.

Just one scenario from today: I found a thief 1v1 and initiated the fight. He opened with stealth and as soon as he started doing damage I used Shelter just do soak up as much of his HS spam as I could. He then stealthed again and I started AoEing where I thought he was. Must have worked because I saw him for a split second and then he stealthed again and ran off.

I had taken little damage and had done some nice damage to him (though I couldn’t tell how much because I couldn’t ever see his health bar).

I decided to attempt a pursuit because I saw him running way off in the distance. He must have switched a utility or something because when I caught up to him again (he was actually waiting otherwise i never would have gotten close to catching him) he stealthed, then opened with a stun and proceeded to burst me down before I even realized what had happened.

Long story short, I think stealth is just way too overpowered in this game when used by a decent player and can be such a powerful survivability tool that a player can invest entirely in damage and still be very hard to kill.

Edit: Though there are some thieves that I can just ROFLstomp they tend to lack skill or don’t use stealth effectively. In roughly half of my encounters with Thieves where I end up winning, the Thief just stealths and runs away.

So what seems to be the problem ? You win 50 % of fights vs thiefs by making them run away. That means you left alive, and both saved your repair bills. Oh i know, You mad couse even if u won and made him run away, he dont need to repair his armor. Now I get it. Lol.

PvP hero Valentin in action!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HiYUlhsO_M
cough*keyboardturningclicker*cough