Warrior it is!...or is it?

in Warrior

Posted by: madamred.1463

madamred.1463

Hi, so I sit here a pondering (while my game is 5 hours in to downloading) what my very first character should be. At some strong hints and suggestions I have been pointed to the brave warrior! I usually play a caster in other games so this will be completely new for me. What are your tips and tricks to being a warrior master?

in Warrior

Posted by: Carpboy.7145

Carpboy.7145

Dont listen to what people tell you you have to play and play what you want.

The Use of the Word ‘Cheese’
Lyss The Shadow
Legendary Champion of DB [EDGE]

in Warrior

Posted by: madamred.1463

madamred.1463

That’s very true… I will not enjoy a character if I didn’t pick it out myself. My husband and I both just got this game today so we will spend some time looking at our options.

in Warrior

Posted by: Mookzen.4583

Mookzen.4583

You have have interest in pvp the warrior is an excellent choice.

in Warrior

Posted by: epborden.7492

epborden.7492

I would say, from personal experience after playing this game for over a year, that you should pick either a warrior, thief, or a mesmer. These classes, especially a warrior, can absolutely destroy when played right. The warrior, at least at this time, is a very strong choice and has every card up their sleeve.

in Warrior

Posted by: Kicast.1459

Kicast.1459

Warrior god mode in wvw zerg and PVE since day 1.
Warrior …god mode everyhere fore more than 6 months. (New king of roaming and pvp now)

Warriors everywhere but no problem for ANET.

Play warrior…you cannot be wrong

in Warrior

Posted by: HiddenFlames.7258

HiddenFlames.7258

Don’t pick one just because someone told you too. You’ll soon figure out that you’ll be drawn to the profession which you enjoy playing the most. Every profession has they’re own gimmick I’ve switched between thief, Mesmer, and warrior. I eventually settled down with a warrior for their front line status. Unlike the squishy other two.

in Warrior

Posted by: Amiron.1067

Amiron.1067

Warrior is an extremely versatile profession, naturally sturdy, and can dish out the deepz. I love it, and if you’re for straight forward mechanics and beating the virtual snot out of your opponents through sheer testosterone advantage, this is your profession.

in Warrior

Posted by: Treborlavok.3504

Treborlavok.3504

Easiest classes to play, Guard and War. Hardest to master… Ele, engi, thief, Mesmer.

For your first toon if you want a caster go for necro or mes. Though be warned nothing is a dedicated caster in this game like other mmos. Throw out ye knowledge of old and bring in guild wars 2. In the end you need to figure out what you like best… Over a year later and all but ranger level to 80… My engi was my last toon I leveled and my favorite so far. I just got him his legendary, my first one crafted woot.

Experiment and level a few toons to 80 and then decide.

Sylvari Engi- Wait! Don’t leaf!
Asura Ele- Sir Im afraid youre short. Why is it always short jokes. No, youre short on the bill.

in Warrior

Posted by: Marxx.5748

Marxx.5748

Warrior is a good solid pick. It has the most viable specs. You can run power damage, condi damage, or a heavy CC build by swapping gear and specs.

in Warrior

Posted by: Lighter.5631

Lighter.5631

Don’t listen to noobs saying warriors are the best dungeon class, no its not,
every class can be good, perhaps better then, if you put your time in it, my friends a necro with legendary and hes a beast in dungeon so is my ele friend(best dps). warriors are only the best pug class, since all it can do is pretty much put out ok damage while being more tough, easy and simple, no much support or other mechanics, so its the best class to avoid noobs who will screw up your team. if you don’t get what i mean, a party with a noob pug warrior has less chance of getting wiped then with a noob other classes like mesmer ele thief necro, but if these guys are good players then the situation will be equal or the other way around.

second thing, WvW roamer gods are condition thieves and PU mesmer or engineer, no other wise, don’t listen to those noobs.

but most of all play what you like

“i think it’s an underserved nerf. now we have to slot a stun breaker??”
“berserker stance clears all CC on you and you’re still immune to CC for 8 seconds”
-Excalibur.9748

(edited by Lighter.5631)

in Warrior

Posted by: Marxx.5748

Marxx.5748

“second thing, WvW roamer gods are condition thieves and PU mesmer or engineer, no other wise, don’t listen to those noobs.”

this isnt accurate from my experience. Most roaming thieves are played awefully and can be downed in steath since their movement is usually predictable.

Mesmers are the new fotm. Its an easy spec to beat by anyone with a ranged weapon option. Just drag the fight and their clones wont do more damage than you can easily heal. dont kill the clones, just target the mesmer. They will either run when you do this, or they die slowly.

A condi engineer is a good build if played well. But its dependent on the the other guy walking or standing on your bombs/mines.

A condi warrior is easier to learn than any of those classes, and gets even better with experience. It has a slower fighting pace then most other classes since the damage is DoT and your health goes down slowly if you cleanse well enough.

in Warrior

Posted by: Gamgee.8612

Gamgee.8612

I wouldn’t roll a Warrior today. People will say that you are OP as an excuse for literally anything.

N I M S – Warrior of Judge Legends[JDGE]

in Warrior

Posted by: Lighter.5631

Lighter.5631

I wouldn’t roll a Warrior today. People will say that you are OP as an excuse for literally anything.

this too, theres days i was running old school free kill tier zerker build.
and people were like " oh i can’t wait to see you nerfed, op wars"
i was like what?!!!!

“i think it’s an underserved nerf. now we have to slot a stun breaker??”
“berserker stance clears all CC on you and you’re still immune to CC for 8 seconds”
-Excalibur.9748

in Warrior

Posted by: Khallis.5708

Khallis.5708

truth hurts doesn’kitten warriors are OP there is really no denying it. only people who don’t think warriors are OP are stupid warriors who think their “superior skill” is whats winning them fights

in Warrior

Posted by: killahmayne.9518

killahmayne.9518

truth hurts doesn’kitten warriors are OP there is really no denying it. only people who don’t think warriors are OP are stupid warriors who think their “superior skill” is whats winning them fights

so in other words, its not the other person’s fk ups, ill-timed usage of skills/dodges, lack of game/class knowledge. I wasted all my condition skills while the warrior had berserker stance or all my burst skills while the warrior had endure pain.

I’m so bad at this game but hey guys it’s all good it is only because the warrior is OP!

Mace/Greatsword Video (Sept Patch)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoAjKtD6MLY

in Warrior

Gamgee.8612

I think you missed the point here. I have rolled Warrior since Beta, almost exclusively. I’ve been through its ups and downs. I agree that in some aspects the warrior is OP atm, but it was the part in my post that said “For literally anything” that was the point. I have heard someone complain warriors are OP because of their cool weapon animations. God, that was lame. Osicat (The famous mesmer(sigh)) is in my guild, and I remember he complained about warriors and guardians being OP because when he fought 3 warriors with banners, it took too long for him to stomp them before they could res eachother. Ofcourse he killed them in the end, it just took too long time, so they are OP. Logic, yes?

I can’t take people I don’t know seriously in this matter. Too many times I have fought Thieves that are squishy as kitten and hits like trucks, but because they are squishy I can kill them. They later complain that they just got killed because Warrior is OP. They got killed because of their build. It doesn’t work to kill Warriors. I have met tons of players from each class that have the right set of mind to compete with warriors, even Rangers. You need to build to beat a warrior. People that doesn’t know how to defeat a warrior are the people that complains it is OP. Period. The high level skillcap is not OP, the avarege warrior can probably kill the avarege anything though. Still, a slight damage nerf would even things out a bit more.

This post is strictly in the eyes of a hardcore WvWer, not PvP or PvE. Also, this post was not created to boast or brag in any way. Thanks.

(edited by Gamgee.8612)

in Warrior

Posted by: Setun.4368

Setun.4368

I think you missed the point here. I have rolled Warrior since Beta, almost exclusively. I’ve been through its ups and downs. I agree that in some aspects the warrior is OP atm, but it was the part in my post that said “For literally anything” that was the point. I have heard someone complain warriors are OP because of their cool weapon animations. God, that was lame. Osicat (The famous mesmer(sigh)) is in my guild, and I remember he complained about warriors and guardians being OP because when he fought 3 warriors with banners, it took too long for him to stomp them before they could res eachother. Ofcourse he killed them in the end, it just took too long time, so they are OP. Logic, yes?

I can’t take people I don’t know seriously in this matter. Too many times I have fought Thieves that are squishy as kitten and hits like trucks, but because they are squishy I can kill them. They later complain that they just got killed because Warrior is OP. They got killed because of their build. It doesn’t work to kill Warriors. I have met tons of players from each class that have the right set of mind to compete with warriors, even Rangers. You need to build to beat a warrior. People that doesn’t know how to defeat a warrior are the people that complains it is OP. Period. The high level skillcap is not OP, the avarege warrior can probably kill the avarege anything though. Still, a slight damage nerf would even things out a bit more.

This post is strictly in the eyes of a hardcore WvWer, not PvP or PvE. Also, this post was not created to boast or brag in any way. Thanks.

Agreed. Every build that the warrior has has a counter or drawback to it. The hammer / GS build that seems to be going around these is only good for hit and run tactics or 1v1 duels….it’s complete garbage in a real teamfight in wvw where they can get focused down in 2 seconds or against a condition build that can reapply poison effectively. Same goes for all the builds that are available to warriors; there’s a counter to them all, just a matter of figuring out what your warrior opponent is bringing to the table when the fight starts.

If anything I think people are just mad at the amount of variety of not only builds, but weapon options available to those builds for warriors nowadays. My power shout build can use a ton of weapons, and granted my condition build is most effective using SS / Lb, I can still swap out off hand weapons for either more defense via shield or movement via warhorn.

TL;DR
Buff other classes to have more build variety + weapon choice variety for their builds to match the warriors diversity.

in Warrior

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

I have a level 80 of every class except for Mes (which i re-rolled a while ago). For ease of play, war is def the way to go to get your feet wet as messing up won’t hurt as much as it would with the other classes. Regardless of what you play, this game takes skill to stay alive, and you will have to unlearn things you were used to from other MMOs.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

in Warrior

Posted by: redslion.9675

redslion.9675

I bet you are one of those hambow rerollers I stomp every day.

If you are so skilled, when going to warrior you should curbstomp people like me, right?

You will never be able to know what an engineer is going to do next…

because he doesn’t know it himself

in Warrior

Posted by: Maketso.5602

Maketso.5602

After playing 6 professions – the MOST fun have been Necromancer/Warrior/Engineer.
Now, if your thinking of playing WvW (big group fighting) you should strive for Warrior, Guardian, Necromancer, Mesmer, and Elementalist.
Spvp which is smaller fights, I do not have alot of experience. Its always up to you.

in Warrior

Posted by: DylanLucas.6058

DylanLucas.6058

They should nerf warrior more. Just chased a warrior for like 10 minutes around with 5 people and he stayed alive, outran us only by using his skills, its kitteng ridiculous

Creator of Pandion Knights [PK] GW2 – SFR (retired)
http://e-reviews.eu

in Warrior

Gamgee.8612

They should nerf warrior more. Just chased a warrior for like 10 minutes around with 5 people and he stayed alive, outran us only by using his skills, its kitteng ridiculous

I agree. If they can nerf the length of thieves stealth aswell, it’s the same problem there really. It just takes too long time to kill! Does NOT mean it’s OP!

in Warrior

Posted by: Assassin X.8573

Assassin X.8573

sure the war is doing no dmg but he is also keeping 5 ppl who obviously dont know how to do other beneficial things in wvw from doing them…

if 1 war can pre-occupy a group or 2 that can make the difference in a objective battle.

i dont want to say you are, lets say, silly, for chasing 1 guy, but…

[edit]: i just realized thats some crazy op CC abilities warriors have now. they can FORCE people to chase after them! as much as they try to they just cant not stop following one person across a map!

as for the OP. if you like melee combat and using all kinds of different weapons, even some ranged ones like rifle and longbow, then sure maybe you will like warrior. what other class archetypes in other games have you played and enjoyed and like to play? or are you trying to do something completely out of your normal wheelhouse? ( i played sneaky stealth classes in every game prior to gw2 and went for a switch to in your face war)

Darkhaven Gold Tiger Assassin X [JPGN][Sold][VII]
Videos on Youtube

(edited by Assassin X.8573)

in Warrior

Posted by: Scoobaniec.9561

Scoobaniec.9561

Wut..did he used some kind of aggro shout that forced ur char to chase him? Also 5 ppl chaising one player in WVW..yeah sounds to me like 5 noobs that doesnt know how to play wvw by any means. Do a favor to ur server and stop taking place, someone might be more useful.

in Warrior

Posted by: Tomasmxmf.9403

Tomasmxmf.9403

Wut..did he used some kind of aggro shout that forced ur char to chase him? Also 5 ppl chaising one player in WVW..yeah sounds to me like 5 noobs that doesnt know how to play wvw by any means. Do a favor to ur server and stop taking place, someone might be more useful.

Sounds like 6 ppl that didn’t get the memo if a warrior has a lead he’s gonna keep that lead haha

SCUMMY WARRIOR/REV ON DRAGONBRAND
[FIRE]//@TOLIVEFREEORDIE//RAIDER KREWE

in Warrior

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

Sounds like 6 ppl that didn’t get the memo if a warrior has a lead he’s gonna keep that lead haha

Kinda reminds me of the time i was trying to get all the JPs and spent about 10 minutes running around the enemy map with 4 guys on me chanting “LEEME ’LONE!” while running away and laughing as they continued to chase me. Good times.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!