Balance or Flavor of the Month?

in PvP

Posted by: DemonNinja.1602

DemonNinja.1602

So I just started playing around this past week with sPvP and I’ve noticed one thing that is loud and clear. THEIF / MESMER = win…. everyone is playing these two classes… is sPvP really that unbalanced or is just a flavor of the month kind of thing. Kinda makes me sad… Discuss/school me as I am a newb in the lands of sPvP.

Aerilon Starsider
Elementalist Extraordinaire
http://twitch.tv/dustydemonninja

in PvP

Posted by: Sivii.2749

Sivii.2749

I’m not seeing so many Mesmers, but the theifs are out of hand. They consistently make up the most of both sides in sPvP. I’m also seeing a stupid amount of GS warriors, as an Ele there’s pretty much nothing I can do against that.

in PvP

Posted by: DemonNinja.1602

DemonNinja.1602

Yea, I’m an ele as well and I must admit the more I play the more I feel like sPvP is very unbalanced. I thought they would have done better…

Aerilon Starsider
Elementalist Extraordinaire
http://twitch.tv/dustydemonninja

in PvP

Sivii.2749

I’m actually not doing that badly 1v1, running S/D – but you can only play like that for so long without literally burning out your mind, it takes so much concentration. I’m fine with a harder skill-cap class, but when you have dudes just spamming 2 buttons to win it’s a bit ridiculous.

Don’t even want to get started on how useless absolutely every single one of the Elementalist’s downed abilities are either. If you’re downed, you’re a free kill.

in PvP

Posted by: Slithan.4380

Slithan.4380

I’m a thief. I run sword/pistol. I hit 2(inf strike), haste, then just spam 3(pistol whip) until they’re dead, popping steal and/or signets as they are off CD for the might/fury buffs and extra initiative.

Totally balanced.

in PvP

Posted by: aydenunited.5729

aydenunited.5729

I play a guardian, both a bunker spec and a meditation/burn spec.

Thieves by themselves are usually a joke, because 90% of them paper-spec, the ones that don’t are the real problem in tPvP. In a group, if they coordinate, they will take down any one person, which in tournament play means, they will all go down right afterwards because I don’t have a braindead team.

As for mesmers, I can’t say. I’m still trying to figure out their class, but as a guardian, mesmers and rangers seem to have my number if they are good.

You will have a thief catch you off-guard or with your CDs burned on occasion and, being opportunists, they will have their way with you. But other than that, if you’re still getting burned down by thieves every time, you might want to reconsider your spec.

Jumzi (Ranger), Tarnished Coast

in PvP

Sivii.2749

You know, it makes sense for theives to be “bursty” and to be able to shank mykitten in the back of a group fight – I’d just like to see more skill involved than basically being Akali.

in PvP

Posted by: Geff.1930

Geff.1930

I’m actually not doing that badly 1v1, running S/D – but you can only play like that for so long without literally burning out your mind, it takes so much concentration. I’m fine with a harder skill-cap class, but when you have dudes just spamming 2 buttons to win it’s a bit ridiculous.

I totally get what you mean. I’ve been experiencing the same thing on my hammer warrior. I spend so much effort trying to time my CCs and keep on my target and switch target if needed if my target is uncatchable.

But, then you see Rangers sitting in the back relaxing and auto-attacking all day long, or generic warriors using their one button macro Frenzy>Bull Rush>Hundred Blades>Whirlwind>gg, and you wonder what’s the point?

in PvP

Posted by: Visualize.4319

Visualize.4319

I play a guardian

if you’re still getting burned down by thieves every time, you might want to reconsider your spec.

Lol, you play one of the OP classes and tell others they are doing something wrong if one of the OP classes kills them.. great logic.

in PvP

aydenunited.5729

I’ve so far heard every profession except elementalists and necros referred to as OP more than once. Your point is both invalid and of childish disposition, and I would assume you will continue to be a bad player for quite some time until you adjust your attitude.

in PvP

Visualize.4319

I’ve so far heard every profession except elementalists and necros referred to as OP more than once. Your point is both invalid and of childish disposition, and I would assume you will continue to be a bad player for quite some time until you adjust your attitude.

I play every class, I suggest you try out the others, pro. OP makes you good, cry when they nerf. I’ll just switch class.

in PvP

aydenunited.5729

I play every class, I suggest you try out the others, pro. OP makes you good, cry when they nerf. I’ll just switch class.

If you play every class less than a month in, you are not mastering any of them, and I promise you, you are pretty bad, unless you are a homebody with nothing to do but GW2, in which case, I can see why you’re burned out and jaded.

in PvP

Visualize.4319

If you play every class less than a month in, you are not mastering any of them, and I promise you, you are pretty bad, unless you are a homebody with nothing to do but GW2, in which case, I can see why you’re burned out and jaded.

Wow, you’re serious about not playing the other classes…. Would think a good PvPer would learn every class to exploit weaknesses….. guess you can just play OP class and wing it.

in PvP

Posted by: Sonho.3697

Sonho.3697

Wow, you’re serious about not playing the other classes…. Would think a good PvPer would learn every class to exploit weaknesses….. guess you can just play OP class and wing it.

I have only played Engineer and i have no problem against any class what so ever. Sure i have read up on builds and skill on the other classes but i have never played any other class then engineer.
Also stop crying over guardians. you sound like a 12 year old. Why dont you use your own tactic and learn the bloody class.

in PvP

aydenunited.5729

Guardians. Zero skill. Enough said.

That doesn’t help the devs fix anything, you should elaborate with detail. Try to leave the hurt feelings out of it, it makes it easier to weed through those who are just whining and those who are trying to actually trying to make the game more balanced. So far, mind you, thieves, mesmers, guardians, and warriors are all getting lumped into the “no skill category”, with a growing number of engineers and rangers being added recently in posts, so before too long, your pointless banter will actually turn in on itself and you’ll vindicate the “if everything is OP, nothing is” reference.

in PvP

Posted by: Sol Haer.5187

Sol Haer.5187

Since the GW2 team has learned nothing from the nightmare that is WoW balancing let me explain something.

I play a GS warrior, 100 blades is OP as just about anything out there, that being said I need to burn a target out of evasions, knock backs, blocks, stealths, and whatever else before I can start to burst.

Rush is complete crap unless you use it from 1 – 10 feet away, the cool down on bulls is extreme for what other classes have for escape abilities.

GW2 has officially created a season 9 warrior for spvp, either you get kited or manage to lock someone down for 2 seconds and do 70% of their health bar instantly.

The amount of knock backs, snares, evasions, etc need to be reduced or should have increased cool downs if you plan to nerf damage, you’ve successfully pigeonholed us into playing like this, since warriors have very few viable options (especially since every shag out there plays a mesmer right now).

I’d much rather be able to stay on a target and have 100 blades tank in damage, it’d help seperate warriors based on ability, not who has bulls charge up. A 100 blades nerf would also mean a huge increase in greatsword chain ( 1 ) damage, or that it applies a bleed (something I’d prefer over a nuke ability).

Birch Bruiser, Crystal Desert’s #1 Albino Sylvari Warrior.

(edited by Sol Haer.5187)

in PvP

Sivii.2749

I don’t know how you’re getting kited, you can snare with your rifle, while inflicting vulnerability, while hitting for 2k consistantly

in PvP

Posted by: Sol Haer.5187

Sol Haer.5187

I don’t know how you’re getting kited, you can snare with your rifle, while inflicting vulnerability, while hitting for 2k consistantly

Kited is… almost incorrect, its not so much as kited as its the basic great sword chain does extremely low damage, so we have to get people into a lockdown / knockdown chain in order to do meaningful damage, i.e. 100 blades, since its stationary.

That being said, it is still a very ranged oriented game, yes my auto attack chain can land quite a few hits that outside of the armor pen debuff are relatively meaningless (since everyone can outheal it quite easily), whirlwind does decent damage but is realistically a gap closer, blade trail is pure utility as well, rush is garbage outside of a damage burst.

Birch Bruiser, Crystal Desert’s #1 Albino Sylvari Warrior.

(edited by Sol Haer.5187)

in PvP

Posted by: Veldan.4637

Veldan.4637

I’m warrior, and don’t have any trouble with thieves. Just don’t play full glass cannon build and you’ll see that you don’t actually have to die in 1 second. Guardians and mesmers are a different story, near impossible to win 1v1…

in PvP

Posted by: Passive Aggressive.3154

Passive Aggressive.3154

For Pete’s sake how can you have a flavor of the month when the game has only been out a month. I’m sure at this point people are trying out different classes (particularly since it is so easy to pvp with whatever class you want without leveling first). I’m sure many people will find those classes not to their liking and go back to whatever there original main was.

“Do what you want to do and don’t tell other people how to behave.” ~ Ruth Stout

in PvP

Posted by: Warmage Timeraider.5861

Warmage Timeraider.5861

I’m a thief. I run sword/pistol. I hit 2(inf strike), haste, then just spam 3(pistol whip) until they’re dead, popping steal and/or signets as they are off CD for the might/fury buffs and extra initiative.

Totally balanced.

Haha, Looking at that post you are clearly underpowered sarcasm while smiling

Timeraider- 80 Norn Elementalist – 80 Norn Engineer
epic-timeraider.weebly.com

in PvP

Posted by: Mine Laces.7108

Mine Laces.7108

I play not just 1 class , but i mostly play war and engi and i honestly find way more imbalanced guardians then thief and mesmers

“Smashing doors at 5am … fun fun fun fun fun” Rebecca Black

in PvP

Posted by: Tinantier.5964

Tinantier.5964

THEIF / MESMER = win…. everyone is playing these two classes…

Mesmer has been shown to be the least played class so it seems unlikely that everyone is playing them – can we assume that these classes have handed you your behind a couple of times?

Yasma – Mesmer – Divine Legend – Desolation

in PvP

Posted by: Discordian.7906

Discordian.7906

It’s more FOTM than a balance issue. Lots of people don’t know how to stop them so people get the impression that they are unbalanced which isn’t true.

in PvP

Posted by: Tinantier.5964

Tinantier.5964

It’s more FOTM than a balance issue. Lots of people don’t know how to stop them so people get the impression that they are unbalanced which isn’t true.

never a truer word

Yasma – Mesmer – Divine Legend – Desolation

in PvP

Posted by: Patriclus.7608

Patriclus.7608

What’s balance???

Death Before Dishonor

in PvP

Posted by: Veldan.4637

Veldan.4637

Mesmer has been shown to be the least played class so it seems unlikely that everyone is playing them – can we assume that these classes have handed you your behind a couple of times?

least played class overall yes. In PvP I think I have yet to see my first match without mesmers.

in PvP

Posted by: Gelrod.1295

Gelrod.1295

Thief is flavor of the month I ‘d say. Mesmer is too strong. So it’s both.

in PvP

Posted by: Shukran.4851

Shukran.4851

if you are talking spvp = 8v8, yeah there are a lot of thieves, less mesmers honestly, but a very lot of thieves
if spvp means 5v5 = no. a lot of mesmers and guardians only.

in PvP

Posted by: kurrata.6427

kurrata.6427

least played class overall yes. In PvP I think I have yet to see my first match without mesmers.

sPvP that 8+8 = 16 players. 8 classes in game. it isnt that rare that you have a game without any mesmar and when you do half of them are just plain horrible. But there are almost always thiefs and most of the time they are at the top.

in PvP

Posted by: displacedTitan.6897

displacedTitan.6897

if you are talking spvp = 8v8, yeah there are a lot of thieves, less mesmers honestly, but a very lot of thieves
if spvp means 5v5 = no. a lot of mesmers and guardians only.

100% true. sPvP is thieves and warriors going glass cannon, tPvP is just mesmer and guardians.

in PvP

Posted by: Nargaroth.1482

Nargaroth.1482

I used to think like you. Once you get more experience you learn how to have more chances against those classes. The problem is, their both are great to kill unexperienced players.

Once you learn their weakness and get a better view of the game you can beat them.

From a Axe/shield warrior.

in PvP

Posted by: Jentavi.8154

Jentavi.8154

there’s none of those classes that i Can’t beat with my S/D ele.

in PvP

Posted by: Dreadspectre.3456

Dreadspectre.3456

I play a Hammer/GS Warrior with 26k HP, 2.1k Toughness, 3.3k Armor and 3.2k Power.

I can survive theives for awhile but the problem is nailing them down. The good ones have way way way too many attacks that allow them to evade or move around too much. Add in 1-2 stealths to give a minor reset in the fight and it just becomes a headache.

Trying to land Hammer moves on any Thieves who aren’t braindead HS spammers can be such a pain in thekitten They need to pop out of stealth immediately after taking damage too imo.

Mesmers are only a pain if they are tanky built, otherwise just find the one that’s moving around and casting things you know the phantasms can’t cast.

in PvP

Posted by: Bloodtau.4672

Bloodtau.4672

Lol Engineers OP. Wish this was actually true my friend. We can do everything but not be good at any of it.

in PvP

Posted by: Duckzor.4327

Duckzor.4327

This has already been established…just let him balance if they want to.

Thief WvW Solo Roam Video

http://youtu.be/MHEU8oCFxrE

in PvP

Posted by: Irishbrewed.6537

Irishbrewed.6537

Hammer a thiefs face off and control the encounter. I can’t figure out anything great to counter mesmers outside of HB it to death but a good Mesmer can be untouchable against a warrior. They are tough for melee.

But yeah both those classes are FOTM in random queues. I think they have great mobility and good damage and CC all of which is great for Capture Point PvP. They are both pretty squishy but a good one is really tough, just keep at it.

Like I said if you can find ways to CONTROL/Interrupt them you have a much better chance at success.

in PvP

Posted by: Kiirin.3418

Kiirin.3418

there’s none of those classes that i Can’t beat with my S/D ele.

Actually Eles lose almost 9/10 against a half decent mesmer 1v1. It’s a matchup even a lot of the better teams have expressed. Elementalists are too predictable in their skill setup. And all that mesmer has to do is confuse/daze/shatter and you’re done. Only way to kill a mesmer is to gib them when they’re not looking.

To the OP, supposedly there is a big pvp balance coming soon. We’ll see how arenanet handles it.

Rank 35
LvL80 Condi Necromancer
LvL35 Engineer

in PvP

Posted by: Chocolate.1487

Chocolate.1487

—mmmm, nah. most thiefs u see are HS spam noobs or pistol whippers, both
builds are good to finish off glass cannons or the dying.
—The real thief build is DD conditions build with caltrops and pull.
caltrops being a big aoe that keeps stacking bleeds/sec and has a 15s+ cripple. people will dodge out ofc, so u pull back in and win.
(dont forget u can stack 3 bleeds/duel skill while being in evasiveness,then stealth out while waiting on cds)::: that is the thief build that needs to be looked at, and i dont say it cause im worried from other players, it is just that i play it often and know how OP it is, if you face some1 with extreme cond remove then u can just stealth/sb out.

—as for other classes, it’s like the more experienced people are saying: learn the game.

r28

in PvP

Posted by: Sargon.9132

Sargon.9132

Lol Engineers OP. Wish this was actually true my friend. We can do everything but not be good at any of it.

I’ve seen your name complaining about engineers to much so I’ll be upfront get off the forums and go kitten practice. If you didn’t spend so much time here I’m sure you’d be doing better or have a more credible response. In all honesty when I see your name on the forums you have zero credibility, that might not mean anything to you but it’s food for thought.

in PvP

Posted by: Yoki.3904

Yoki.3904

100b on warriors are easy to dodge and get away from and when you do they drop like flies, i don’t see any major problem with them at all. As for thieves there the main class i find truly annoying out of all of them cause it seems that no matter what weapon set you use on them is one or two buttons.

And Mesmer’s, you have to be kidding me,I don’t know why people complaining so much about them, I find them to be annoying sometimes but I’ve seen people complain about there “illusions” and “moa bird”. Really? Just target them so all you need to do is press T for assists, and as for moa, just do what other people suggested up above, in pub matches people rarely pay attention in group fights and attack the one that gets moaed, well from my experience that is. Not only that, Mesmer’s are not a one or two button smash, when i play one i use about every skill on my bar for my GS and Sword / Pistol. ( Just thought i’d mention that.)

But over all i think it matters on the player, I’m sure we all seen are fair share of bad Mesmer’s, bad thieves, or bad guardians. In the end i still think there’s skill involved cause no matter what build you use, if you cant use it correctly then your screwed.

Before anyone says" I’m sure you play that class" or anything a long those lines, yes i do play them, I have tried every class and found Mesmer’s Necromancer’s, and Engineer’s to be my down right favorite, but over all Necro’s.

(Just me ranting on after seeing a LOT of people that just don’t shut up about these things in game and out. And yes i call sPvP , Pubs.)

(edited by Yoki.3904)

in PvP

Posted by: Gelrod.1295

Gelrod.1295

I’d say Engineer is one of the strongest, probably even the strongest class in GW2 atm.

in PvP

Posted by: Malakree.5912

Malakree.5912

I’d say Engineer is one of the strongest, probably even the strongest class in GW2 atm.

I’ve met at least one solid damage engi who had about my damage output/survivability and several bunker engi’s who were super hard to kill 1v1 and offered way more in larger scale battles than I ever could.

in PvP

Posted by: Ashenz.6934

Ashenz.6934

Time is running out Arena Net. People are getting tired about your vision of class balance…

Balance. Really, balance is pretty good.
-Jonathan Sharp, game designer

in PvP

Posted by: Kiirin.3418

Kiirin.3418

I play a bunker engineer, Pistol/shield, and yes i will agree that engineers are pretty powerful, but like an Ele you have to use about 16 abilities to secure your win and they have to be very precise in timing and placement. So a lot of people don’t see them as OP atm mainly because there is a variety of skills being used when they are killed by them. While mesmers have many different ways of handling their foes by either stunning them, dazing, confusing, Staff 2 on like an 8 second cd porting them back plus adding a clone, either a blink or a stealth, invuerability with a sword. They have so many “oh kitten” buttons its like choosing skills out of a buffet. On top of that the many distractions of phantasms + shatters. A mediocre mesmer can almost get out of any situation they please. They have the perfect kit tokitten someone off in a fight. Therefore the countless crying from everyone.

I joined a pug today with 6 mesmers and 6 thieves in one game yesterday. I think i was incapacitated from stunlock/daze/confusion for about 7 seconds. I only say 7 seconds because thats how long i lasted.

Rank 35
LvL80 Condi Necromancer
LvL35 Engineer

in PvP

Posted by: Malakree.5912

Malakree.5912

I joined a pug today with 6 mesmers and 6 thieves in one game yesterday. I think i was incapacitated from stunlock/daze/confusion for about 7 seconds. I only say 7 seconds because thats how long i lasted.

Only class I’ve ever seen get near that representation was warriors…..about 2 hours ago actually.

in PvP

Posted by: Gankfest.4965

Gankfest.4965

8 Mesmers can beat 8 Thieves, so how does Thieves come into the equation again?

Gankfest™ ~ <PRX> ~ JQ
80 ~ Thief/Guardian

in PvP

Posted by: Prexxus.3019

Prexxus.3019

My job in tPvP is to kill enemy mesmers. But I’m a Thief :P

I can kill almost any mesmer before a blink of the eye.

in PvP

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

How do you even define a balanced build in this game mode. The aim is to capture 3 points and wait the scoreboard to tick to 500. So the optimal team build is the most effiecient build that can do so. You can call it Fotm but one thing is sure imposing your gw1 balanced build that works in a full team death match or npc kill is not the same as the conquest aims. The team build that you might have may require duplicate or pentacate characters, but as long as the roles of them satisfy the goal of conquest, then this build will be the one that will be used. I hated anets delusional regard for this balanced build concept in gw1 and nerfing all other builds so this balanced build can be played perpetually. And good thing that this conquest gamemode in gw2 disregards this high regard for the balanced build.

in PvP

Posted by: Ickara.8725

Ickara.8725

I play a necro. I wouldn’t call myself a ‘great’ pvper but I am pretty good. I play basically a condition spec with a heavy side of toughness.
only class I can’t kill 1v1 if they are any good is the mesmer. Don’t know if I would call them op though, as I know none of their skills. something I plan to correct soon.
guardians are essentially free kills if I catch them alone. their main danger seems to be how much they buff up everyone around them.
thiefs are dangerous if you don’t instantly recognize them and get some distance between you and them.. a difficult proposition at best most of the time.
warriors are only really dangerous if I stand still or I get knocked down.
I havn’t encountered a well played engineer… they don’t seem to be popular in spvp.
Rangers are a moderate danger that can go either way depending on the situation.
other necros arn’t a particular danger.. they are just difficult to kill. I run away and ignore them most of the time.
Almost forgot about the elementalist… poor poor elementalists.. they seem u.p. even compared to the necro if you ask me.
I play mostly spvp.