Best PVP Class - 1 January 2014

in PvP

Posted by: wei.5420

wei.5420

I saw a lot of topics like this, but all of them are out dated, so i have one question.

In your opinion, what class is the best for PVP and why?

in PvP

Posted by: azuzephyr.7280

azuzephyr.7280

Too broad a question, best at what aspect? Dueling, capping, bunkering, class stacking, what?

For all-rounder I’d say warrior, no matter what the situation calls for, chances are they will be able to handle it/get carried by healing signet. But that’s not to say I’d want a 5-man warrior team [although it’d probably still work]

in PvP

Posted by: Lotus.9746

Lotus.9746

Elementalist……….Said no one.

[Ego] Sylvari Ele
Winter

in PvP

Posted by: Josh Davis.6015

Josh Davis.6015

Next

I’ll be honest, I like tier lists, especially when they’re well-made. They’re an interesting insight into player perceptions at different levels of play (even if I think I have a decent grasp on it already!). I also accept that the lists are subjective and are often interpreted in various ways by different individuals.

I’d love to see a new version of this thread flourish, but I think it’s important that we provide context for the lists. Casting a wide net and saying “rate these professions!” is invariably going to cause some polarizing discussion, and I think it’s fairly obvious why. Instead of creating a tier list based off of professions, I think it would be more prudent to create a tier list that includes popular or ‘meta’ builds or even roles, considering that professions are able to be played in such different ways depending on how you build it. For example, there are a multitude of builds for engineer – some top-tier, and some low-tier, but they’re both under the engineer umbrella, and each provide varying levels of results.

Anyways, just my 2c! Try to keep things constructive.

in PvP

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

We wont disappoint you in our list making Grouch.

remember #EvanLeshforCEOandPrez2014

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

in PvP

Posted by: Tyler Chapman.1832

Previous

Tyler Chapman.1832

PvP and Balance QA Embed

It would be nice to see a community built list that shows specs rated top>down for each class and role in all areas of play. This kind of feedback is really helpful for our team.

in-game alias: Powerr
Skills and Balance/PvP Team Principal QA
Former active member of Team PZ

in PvP

Posted by: Dojo.1867

Dojo.1867

It would be nice to see a community built list that shows specs rated top>down for each class and role in all areas of play. This kind of feedback is really helpful for our team.

Was just about to say what would we do even if all classes were in the same tier? This says nothing about how specific builds like Power Ranger or DPS Guadian perform.

Why are there no polls in this forum btw? I hardly belive it is too difficult to code.

Since devs seem to gather feedback for there next big patch I would like to offer my input on the classes I mainly play.

Engi:

• needs more interaction with gadgets badly
  • new heal skills suffers because hard to use in a build and also have enough condi removal in it
  • lack of stunbreakers because utility slots are filled with kits (which are necessary to stay competitive in combat)
  • weak pistol autoattack
  • grenade kit (forced into 30 explosives always) = toolkit > bombkit > flamethrower = elixir gun

Ranger:

• power builds still too weak mainly due to lack of condi removal in a 30/30/… build
  • many useless pet traits
  • pets still stop animations of there f2 and go full cooldown
  • many missplaced traits for traps
  • new heal skill is just bad 95% of the time

Guardian:

• new heal skill is too weak in 5on5 -> higher stats or instant like all meditations
  • not a guardian thing but we still lack a visual effect for stability, the visually most important boon in the game

Warrior:

• nerfs for healing signet if any should happen in 1-2% steps per patch because it is very close to being balanced

(edited by Dojo.1867)

in PvP

Posted by: Nomin.5901

Nomin.5901

Since lists are better
A rank ~ Almost must-haves in competitive Tpvp
Warrior-Healing Signet Hambow
Necro- MM
Ranger- Spirit

B rank ~ Helpfull to teams, can bring a lot of utility, while not being “OP”
Engineer-3/2 Kit Condition
Mesmer-Shatter or PU
Guardian-Classic Bunker-

C rank ~ Good for a team, but can use some help
Necro- Everything other than MM
Thief-D/P

D rank ~ Needs more balance, has very few “Viable” builds for competitive play
Elementalist- Full zerk staff
Elementalist is crippled by its "Profession skill (attunements cool down and needing traits to buff) While other classes benefit from theirs, which is one of the reasons elementalist is so low.

All of these can change around, but these are all based around the classes having the most effective builds. IMO

Source: Rank 414 on the Tpvp leader-boards currently, with 1,000+ total games, and have played/theory-crafted every profession thoroughly.

Carmen

(edited by Nomin.5901)

in PvP

Posted by: Dojo.1867

Dojo.1867

Thief is part of nearly any competitive team. Still is the best in its niche by far.

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

A Rank
Necro – depending on enemy team build may vary, but you kind of have to have necro for condi, boon strips, dmg, bunkering sometimes etc.

Warrior – i think more than enough was said about them, they have everything at little trade off costs, good team utility, good dmg, amazing survivability and CC, you lose a lot if you don’t bring at least one of them, you also might as well bring few.

Engi – people often undervalue them i think, engis are quite tanky and can still do a lot of dmg, have long range, a lot of conditions and can cover entire point in puddles of death. While they might be not as effective in open field, in capture point based game they are really strong.

Guardians – while i don’t find them extremely OP or anything they are a must in tpvp to bunker points imo. If guard builds for it he can hold and knock ppl off point forever not to mention team utility.

B – rank
Rangers – spirit ranger specifically, bring team utility (buffs, rezzes), can bunk point. I personally don’t find them that OP just extremely annoying to deal with.

Mesmers – good spike dmg, ports are really good and can provide a lot of tactical advantage, i saw some nasty tactics with TW + ele conjured weapons doing kittened dmg on point, they also go down fast though and do lack certain aoe dmg to spam points.

C Rank

Thief – really good xz moblity which allows them to contest/capture open points however their survivability is non existant, stealth itself is pretty bad for contesting, offer little team utility and other classes can do as much dmg while staying more tanky. They are good to turn 2v2 situations into 3v2 however they have to heavily rely on own team to be good, they can’t really carry them like some other classes. Can be easily countered by bunkering 1 point and contesting other.

Ele – i personally find eles actually decent in team fights thanks to team utility, dmg and certain moblity however they are indeed squishy and usually end up in mist form pretty fast. They don’t have mobility of the thief to steal points as fast but they do offer more in team fights hence why i out them in same tier.

D – i don’t think any class is unplayable right now tbh.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

Posted by: cymerdown.4103

cymerdown.4103

For Team Arena (I’ll only list the meta/most powerful spec for each class)

S Tier
Hammer Longbow Warrior
Trickery Thief (D/P, S/P)

A Tier
Spirit Ranger
Bomb/Nade/R Engineer
Confounding Suggestions Mesmer (once CS is bugfixed, this would go down to B Tier below Necromancer)
Bunker Guardian

B Tier
Condition Necromancer (tough time with Warrior atm, otherwise middle of A tier)

C Tier
S/X Fresh Air Elementalist

For an idea of what I think should be adjusted about each of these professions, check out https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/The-Ken-Document/first

Kensuda (Bunker Guardian)
Bunker Guardian Guide
Twitch Stream

in PvP

Posted by: candlecan.9827

candlecan.9827

For Team Arena (I’ll only list the meta/most powerful spec for each class)

S Tier
Hammer Longbow Warrior
Trickery Thief (D/P, S/P)

A Tier
Spirit Ranger
Bomb/Nade/R Engineer
Confounding Suggestions Mesmer (once CS is bugfixed, this would go down to B Tier below Necromancer)
Bunker Guardian

B Tier
Condition Necromancer (tough time with Warrior atm, otherwise middle of A tier)

C Tier
S/X Fresh Air Elementalist

For an idea of what I think should be adjusted about each of these professions, check out https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/The-Ken-Document/first

Totally on board with this assessment. Thiefs and Warriors are the only true balance offenders at this point in the meta. Engineer condition spam is still very strong and I would put it above spirit ranger.

in PvP

Posted by: kirito.4138

kirito.4138

I would think Anet could just data mine their server logs (if any exist that is) to see the tier list. E.g look at sampling from players that made it to the leaderboard etc.

Maybe, thats too much work for devs and its better for the community to crowdsource lol.

http://www.twitch.tv/kirito4138
The only exclusive skyhammer stream

in PvP

Posted by: infantrydiv.1620

infantrydiv.1620

Disclaimer: This is an opinion

For tournament PvP, in order of ‘must haves’:

Top Tier:
1. Guardian (Bunker)
2. Warrior
3. Ranger (Spirits)
4. Thief
Middle Tier:
5. Engineer
6. Necromancer
Bottom Tier:
7. Mesmer*
8. Elementalist

For Solo Queue:

1. Warrior (Condi, Hambow)
2. Ranger (Spirits)
3. Engineer (Bomb/nade)
4. Guardian (Multiple variants/hybrids)
5. Thief (D/P, S/D, S/P)
6. Necromancer (Condi, power, MM)
7. Mesmer
8. Elementalist (???)

I personally think that right now Thief is extremely strong in team queue, although apparently quite a few teams don’t agree with me. Guardian is essential for big midfights and proper ressing. Spirit Ranger is still strong but definitely not as good as it was. Warrior is acting as an all purpose 1v1/teamfight cleave/stomp monster and its still acceptable to run two of them at once. They lack any real counter. Necromancer has gotten quite a bit weaker except for minion builds which aren’t amazing in team queue. The vigor nerf on engineers is definitely noticeable and I don’t even play one. They are still great, but I don’t think they are a must have like the rest of what I view as the top tier. Mesmer right now are kind of a wildcard. I think we will see them reentering the meta soon.

Ranger//Necro

(edited by infantrydiv.1620)

in PvP

Posted by: Valentin.2073

Valentin.2073

this is very educational. thanks for all the posts, guys.

PVP Ranger: Prince Valentine, PVP Warrior: Prince of Hearts I, and PVP Mesmer: Prince Valentine I

in PvP

Posted by: Morderger.6298

Morderger.6298

S Tier:
1. Guardian bunker
2. Warrior ham/bow or condi far point bow Sword/shield or sword
3. Engi far point assualt either bunker or condi
4. Ranger bunker spirit

A Tier:
1. Any warrior dps set with healing signet
2. Pu mesmer or condi
3. Necro any build
4. Engi nades/bombs rifle or pistol/shiled or pistol power build
5. Ranger spirit dps

B Tier:
1. Any warrior build not using Healing Signet
2. any other dps mesmer build
3. Guardian dps builds
4. Thief any dps build

C Tier:
1. Any Elementalist build
2. bunker Mesmer
3. Bunker thief
4. Power rangers

Morderger – Elementalist / Zarnik – Warrior /Zerlurd – Ranger/ Slurd -Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/morderger

in PvP

Posted by: Arganthium.5638

Arganthium.5638

I’m basing my list on the strategic value of various builds in team comps overall as well as their value compared to other builds that attempt to complete the same role they do. I’m also basing this off the average skill level of players.

S Tier:
1. Hambow warrior
2. Any other warr that is not extremely glassy
3. Engi point assaulter
4. Engi point bunker
5. Spirit ranger

A Tier:

6. MM Necro
7. Condi Necro
8. PU Mesmer
9. Bunker Guard

B Tier:

10. Shatter Mesmer
11. Non bunker, non DPS guards.
12. DPS guard
13. Glass warriors
14. D/P thief
15. S/D thief

C Tier:
16. Rifle engis
17. Power rangers
18. Burst eles
19. Non burst, AoE support, area denial staff eles
20. Non D/P or S/D thieves
21. Power necros
22. All other types of eles

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

in PvP

Posted by: Arleii.5304

Arleii.5304

I play only elementalist, and I have never ever heard anyone say that eles are useful. Maybe sometimes good dmg, but that is all. From my point of view, I really notice that in 1v1 the difference can be incredibely big. I mostly play solo queues and I have won a little bit over 50% of them. I have been trying various builds over the past year and a half(two years soon if we count betas) and the most viable build for me was the Fresh Air one. Other than that, just meh.
Since I play only ele, I can really just complain, I’ve never played much of other proffesions but I can tell that warrs are constantly somehow OP and thiefs can be very annoying. I’m just kinda sad because it seems to me like elementalist is really overlooked and don’t get much love. Tho the recent updates were kinda good, sorta…yeah
So, from my point of view, as I encounter them:

Warrior As I said, I have zero chance, unless the player doesn’t know how to play, but that is rare.
Thief They just appear and are like stab stab and in some cases I’m dead within second. If I survive, they just cloak and go somewhere, then they again jump on me.
Necromancer If it’s condi build, it can be really tough to shake off all that conditions. Sometimes I use everything I have and I still get them back. But generally necros aren’t that big of a problem.
Engineer They can be annoying too, especially in Skyhammer, where they can kick me off the edge even if I am staying in the middle of cap point.
Mesmer Aren’t too hard to deal with, unless the real ones behave like clones.
Guardian Can be tough, especially bunker ones. They are healing more quickly than I am.
Ranger In 1v1, no problem at all.
Elementalist I think in 1v1 I defeat the other ele in 95% of the cases. I guess having experience is an advanage after all.

Iin bhiin lan anath
. . .
ban galla nir

(edited by Arleii.5304)

in PvP

Posted by: Geiir.7603

Geiir.7603

Since I play 95% thief, that’s where my perspective come from. These are the professions I’m seeing most and what’s giving me a tough time. It’s not about who’s OP or not, it’s about what I’m seeing and playing against. For the record; I’m a S/P stun-locking thief.

Necromancer – their condition burst is insane and if I’m not quick about shadow stepping I’m dead within seconds. MM builds are fairly easy due to my sword cleave and dagger storm.

Warrior – as other have stated, they have it all. Somehow I manage to kill them pretty fast if I get the jump or see their combo coming and just interrupt their combo.

Guardian – dat retaliation. If I’m jumping in the middle of a group fight, popping pistol whip and see retaliation up – it’s already too late ;p

Mesmer – fairly easy to counter if I can spot the real Mesmer. I’m able to completely lock him down until he’s dead.

Ranger – they’re annoying if played right, but I usually win in a 1v1 scenario. Their spirit builds are tougher in a team situation though.

Thief – I have enough hp to survive a burst or condition thief. The one giving me a headache is S/D thief. The usual thief player is bad, but there are some good ones left.

Elementalist – walking points for me there.

Engineer – a tough son of a kitten. Good bunkers I just leave or wait for them to get distracted.

Melder – Thief

in PvP

Posted by: P Fun Daddy.1208

P Fun Daddy.1208

Everybody hates eles

in PvP

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

Everybody hates eles

not really. eles if played right can be very strong. i’ve met some pretty stale eles though that just stand on the side and use aoe. ele needs to be constantly on the move just like mes. on my pu mes im constantly moving, dodging, blinking, etc. otherwise u get locked down to death in seconds.

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

in PvP

Posted by: P Fun Daddy.1208

P Fun Daddy.1208

Everybody hates eles

not really. eles if played right can be very strong. i’ve met some pretty stale eles though that just stand on the side and use aoe. ele needs to be constantly on the move just like mes. on my pu mes im constantly moving, dodging, blinking, etc. otherwise u get locked down to death in seconds.

No, I wasn’t actually saying anything about balance here.
If you look at everyone’s lists in this thread, almost all of them rank ele last or close to last.
I was talking about that.

in PvP

Posted by: Oraith.1732

Oraith.1732

I don’t think there’s a best class but I’d say the most persistent/stable class/build is bunker guardian. No matter what the meta has been/will become they will always be viable.

in PvP

Posted by: Valentin.2073

Valentin.2073

a power ranger owns a bunker guardian 1v1. too bad power rangers arent viable in tpvp.

PVP Ranger: Prince Valentine, PVP Warrior: Prince of Hearts I, and PVP Mesmer: Prince Valentine I

in PvP

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

S Tier:
1. Guardian bunker
2. Warrior ham/bow or condi far point bow Sword/shield or sword
3. Engi far point assualt either bunker or condi
4. Ranger bunker spirit

A Tier:
1. Any warrior dps set with healing signet
2. Pu mesmer or condi
3. Necro any build
4. Engi nades/bombs rifle or pistol/shiled or pistol power build
5. Ranger spirit dps

B Tier:
1. Any warrior build not using Healing Signet
2. any other dps mesmer build
3. Guardian dps builds
4. Thief any dps build

C Tier:
1. Any Elementalist build
2. bunker Mesmer
3. Bunker thief
4. Power rangers

best list so far

I would add there are builds not so op anymore but are still HARDcounters to others. Like S/D thief still HARDcounters Shattermesmer or Ele.

in PvP

Posted by: Wintel.4873

Wintel.4873

Everybody hates eles

All this proves is that Ele’s badly need help :P

But this time ANet need to actually THINK what they want to do with Ele’s. No insult to ANet but the Dec 10 changes made me seriously question if they have any idea what they want to do with this class. Especially that Diamond Skin change and moving Elemental Attunement deeper, good lord.

The class feels so fragile regardless of build, so slow and cumbersome with abilities (huge telegraphs + slow cast times), such few viable options with builds and slot skills, so much hard work only to get facerolled by passive/AI nonsense, no role in SPvP that can’t be done vastly better by another class/build.

(edited by Wintel.4873)

in PvP

Posted by: Sol.4310

Sol.4310

Team Arena Meta Builds.

God Tier:
1. Healing Signet

S Tier:
1. Warrior (LB-H)
2. Engineer (Conditions/Power Nades/Bombs)

A Tier:
1. Ranger (Spirit)
2. Thieves (Power)
3. Necromancer (Conditions) < Warriors make there life hard.
4. Engineer (Power)
5. Guardian (Bunker)
6. Mesmer (Power)
7. Warrior (Bunker)

B Tier:
1. Thieves (Condition)
2. Necromancer (Power)
3. Guardian (Power)
4. Mesmer (Condition)
5. Ranger (Every Other Build)

C Tier:
1. Elementalist (Every Single Build)

Saizo Sol – Ranger
Twitch – Aussie Streamer

in PvP

Posted by: sorrychief.2563

sorrychief.2563

Wood tier
War
Teef
Mez
Gard
Zookeeper
Necro

Gold tier
Elem
Engy

champion magus
previously rank 2 on old leaderboards
EG.secret.OG.NAVI.sorrychief

in PvP

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

lists are meaningless All is Vain.
Especially if spvp is evolving around niche builds.

my list in order of usability and amount of different roles the profession plays:

Uber:

Warrior (all occasions x3 builds)
Mesmer (Niche build x2 builds)
Guardian (Niche build x3 builds)
Thief (Niche x2 builds)

Mehber:

Ranger (all occasions x2 builds)
Engineer (all occasions x2 builds)
Necromancer (Niche 2 builds)
Elementalist (Niche x 1 build)

Bahber:
Any profession with no more then 2 builds and only 1 role i spvp.
( Ele, Necro, Mesmer, Thief)

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

in PvP

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

Overpowered: heal sig, hambow wars, bunker guardian
Very strong: meta thief, grenade engi, decap engi
Strong: spirit ranger, mm necro, condition necro

Everything else: not good enough for serious play

There are some good ele and mesmer builds that would be very strong if meta was changed. They are not viable right now but if warriors get nerfed they might be. Have to be aware of that.

in PvP

Romek.4201

@Rezz

for your last point s/d thief have to be nerfed too or this both are freekills and get farmed
both classes need something to counter s/d thief like a anti sword #2 spam shield^^

in PvP

Posted by: Wintel.4873

Wintel.4873

There are some good ele and mesmer builds that would be very strong if meta was changed. They are not viable right now but if warriors get nerfed they might be. Have to be aware of that.

Dunno about Mesmer builds but Warriors are far from the only thing that can steamroll Ele’s.

in PvP

Posted by: Ryld.1340

Ryld.1340

Overpowered: heal sig, hambow wars, bunker guardian
Very strong: meta thief, grenade engi, decap engi
Strong: spirit ranger, mm necro, condition necro

Everything else: not good enough for serious play

Most Ele builds are destroyed by Mesmers, Necros, Thieves, and Warriors.

Warrior isn’t the only thing holding them down.

in PvP

Posted by: Cush.4063

Cush.4063

Dunno about Mesmer builds but Warriors are far from the only thing that can steamroll Ele’s.

Lol right? Don’t know where he got that just by meeting warrior it would make ele or mesmer super powerful. Must play a warrior. Ele Gets facerolled by many more classes than just a warrior.

in PvP

Posted by: Geiir.7603

Geiir.7603

@Rezz

for your last point s/d thief have to be nerfed too or this both are freekills and get farmed
both classes need something to counter s/d thief like a anti sword #2 spam shield^^

S/D got a massive nerf dude. They pretty much ruined sword #2 by giving it a cast time and putting it in skill queue. It was a skill that was used spontaneously, but I’m afraid that’s not the case any longer…

Melder – Thief

in PvP

Romek.4201

and they still faceroll shatter mesmer and eles so nerf not hard enough or this both classes to squishi vs s/d thief

in PvP

Posted by: Thedenofsin.7340

Thedenofsin.7340

Agreed. It would also be nice to have the PvP balance team acknowledge that warriors are overpowered in their current state and that the problem can be directly attributed to overbuffing Healing Signet.

I don’t know how constructive any lists would be at the moment simply because warriors are keeping many builds/professions down at the moment.

in PvP

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

for a “1 class team” i’d kill to see a full MM squad with their 30 minions stomping everything in a flood of trolololol.

for the best class for the average player, warrior.

for the best class for super uber skilled folk, thief/engineer.
and i don’t say this lightly, in the hands of a mere mortal like me, a theif/engi can be “ok”
but when played by someone who’s dedicated themselves to mastering that class they are truly amazing, the thief becomes an unattackable nuke machine and the engi becomes a none stop ride of damage and survivability.

my final verdict for “best class” would have to go to either warrior (using pretty much any build) or Necro (using MM)
and by best i mean the best results without requiring skill,
they are by no means the most fun!

in PvP

Posted by: Gorni.1764

Gorni.1764

and by best i mean the best results without requiring skill,
they are by no means the most fun!

yeah sadly this is pretty accurate. I don’t really understand why people tend to play OP classes in a game without any real rewards only to win more often. There’s no logic behind that

b2t: I think most lists here are pretty much the same.

• H/LB-Warriors, AI-Builds (MM-Necros, Spirit-Rangers) and certain Engi-Builds on top
  • Guards, Condi-Necros and other Engi-Builds pretty much balanced
  • Thief and Mesmer good to play and superior in their niche
  • Ele lowest tier, excells at nothing, inferior in any aspect of PvP
Rachat – Elementalist (Abbadon’s Mouth)

in PvP

Posted by: Bsgapollo.5364

Bsgapollo.5364

S/d thiefs. Barely any counterplay to it.

Level 80 Elementalist, experienced player in pvp, trying out pve for now.

in PvP

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

I won’t repeat after others, because my opinions are not different from listed above. However, I’d like to appeal about situation of power specs for Rangers – on these lists, they should’ve been F rank, below elementalist. You guys really have to redefine Ranger class and revmap many traits and weapons to make it work anyhow. Longbow, Shortbow, Axe OH – These things are in such need (not even talking about Pets) like never before.
The only good thing about Rangers is their Spirits because they provide huge support in teamfights and their heals, apart from Heal as One, which needs some “omph!” (like condition removal from both player and pet if pet is alive/some other condition).
Rest needs major work and despite all the buffs, if core of the class is unfinished and doesn’t work, even new shiny buffs won’t help in any way.

Face it, Ranger is probably one of the most spammy classes, has no skill floor and almost non-existant skill ceiling due to all RNG, pets. It just feels so unfinished. Every utility needs major traiting, class has no viable options than going condition.

We don’t really care if something is pretty or not, we call for working gameplay. If pets have to slide on the ground during their animations to hit the target, so be it, we’ll be happy like never. If in order to change anything you have to do major revmap, remove and add some things to the game, we have nothing against.
We have no synergy between us and the pet, between traits, between utilities. Our highest skill move is essentialy to blast/leap through combo field.

When you consider Ranger class, please, don’t look only at how braindead, broken and spammy Spirit Ranger is. Look at class overall!
Does our pets really need some lesser bleeds, ticking for 40? These pets are never used. People demand reliable utility. Guess why Gray Wolf is probably most common PvP pet?

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in PvP

Posted by: Pyriall.5027

Pyriall.5027

This old formatting needs to go away. The tier lists should first define the active roles on a team with an agreed upon description. Such as:

Mid-Bunker-
Offensive Roamer-
Defensive Roamer-
Far Point Assaulter-
Etc

Then rank the professions with their best builds in each role. Such as:

Offensive Roamer-Generally a burst build with high mobility. Can navigate between team fights and push the back lines to burst down a target. Is able to engage/disengage with a high level of effectiveness.
1. Thief
2. Mesmer
3. Warrior
4. Ranger
5. Elementalist
6. Necromancer
7. Engineer
8. Guardian
These would be the best power builds each build could attain for the defined role.

Something like that should be done and you can add the various builds within each role to discuss. We can’t just tier based on profession without first looking to see where the professions lie within each role on a team. The current tier list is like asking who is the best football player. It’s just too broad a category.

With this type of formatting you can start to analyze why a profession falls short and where improvements can/should be made. I will say that power ranger gained a ton of disengage ability solely with the addition to stealth on longbow 3 and that’s why I have it ranked so high. Just a minor tweak to something like that makes a huge difference. It also goes on to explain why some builds succeed where others fall short.

(edited by Pyriall.5027)

in PvP

Posted by: sorrow.2364

sorrow.2364

Here’s my list based on my experience playing mostly Elementalist, Necromancer and Warrior.

S Tier (extremely strong)

• S/S + LBow Condition Warrior: extremely high 1vs1 potential, almost impossible to win against him in small scale engagements
  • Hammer + LBow Warrior: still extremely high amount of sustain and way to survive even with zerker amulet. One of the toughest engagement, even when played by not-so-experienced players.
  • Nodefighter Bomb/Grenade Engineer: when they are on a node, you know that you’re going to lose that fight. Insane amount of conditions and survivability.
  • Minion Necromancer: an extremely easy and extremely effective build in small scale fights. The only proper counter is killing minions, but you’re probably going to die while killing them. Asura Necromancer make it even more annoying to fight.
  • Bunker Guardian: still a must have in any team because of the crazy survivability and team support. There is really no valid alternative to it.

A Tier (strong)

• Condition Necromancer: probably a tough encounter against a good one, but easy to outplay by CC chains or team focus.
  • Condition Phantasm Mesmer: solid build with good 1vs1 and small scale fights potential. I can often manage to win an encounter against them, but the downed state phantasm is just insane.
  • Berserker Warrior (Axe/Rifle/GS): way more survivable compared to other berserker professions, but at least they die sometimes. Extremely dangerous if not taken care of.
  • Trickery D/P-S/P thief: luckily, there aren’t that much around, but they are extremely dangerous if well played.
  • Spirit Ranger: halfway between S and A tier. Way more reasonable right now then before, but still extremely effective. Stupid easy and boring to play, pretty much because of the shortbow design.
  • Beastmaster Bunker Ranger: plagued by the same issue of Spirit Ranger (as they are quite similiar builds): shortbow. Other than that, strong build but with less team fight potential compared to Spirit Ranger.
  • S/D evade thief: still a strong build, nothing to say here. Haven’t found that much of them lately, though.
  • Power Guardian: good damage and good survivability, making them good in small scale fights but not useless in team fights. Sad thing is that people usually see Guardian as the bunker and there aren’t that much around.
  • Shatter Mesmer: high damage with decent survivability. Good in both small scale and team fights.
  • Berserker Engi: extremely glassy with extremely high damage and burst. The animations are quite obvious and the burst is manageable. Seems fair to me.

B Tier (mediocre)

• D/D or S/D Fresh Air Elementalist: solild build, but it really lacks survivability to have a solid spot in the current metagame. The gameplay is similiar to a Thief (in’n’out style of play), but it lacks the escape options of the Thief, making it extremely hard to survive with.
  • D/D cantrip elementalist: good team support, kinda viable, but not worth picking compared to other professions. The damage is mediocre and the support is nowhere near the one provided by other professions like Spirit Ranger or Bunker Guardian. Mediocre teamfight potential, good small scale fights capability, but still inferior to other builds. This build really struggles to find a place in a team composition.
  • Power Necromancer: great damage and the survivability is now kinda ok, but the Condition Necromancer provides way more team fight and 1vs1 potential compared to Power Necros, while boasting a little bit more survivability.

C Tier (unviable)

• Power/Crit Ranger: still can’t find a reason to have them in a team. They aren’t survivable that much, the damage isn’t that high and they aren’t mobile.
  • Staff Elementalist: there isn’t a good build to make staff work. It is good in teamfights, but it has no small scale fight potential whatsoever, making it a wasted team slot that can be easily filled by a much stronger engineer.
  • P/P Thief: nothing to say here. Completely unviable with no reason to play it whatsoever.
  • Condition/Venomshare Thief: a wasted slot in a team. Too much focused in 1vs1, while being greatly outperformed by other builds. No survivability while playing Venom share and the team support isn’t that much to consider it worth picking. Bad node defender due to stealth reliancy.
  • Vampiric minion-less Necromancer: a build focused around sustain with no sustain. Enough said.

There are probably some things I’ve missed, like some unviable traitlines, but this is overall my vision of PvP right now. Hope it helps.

(edited by sorrow.2364)

in PvP

Posted by: Quickfoot Katana.8642

Quickfoot Katana.8642

Dojo, engi pistol autoattack being weak is a good thing, rather than negative. The other classes/weapons could use that nerf. Let’s encourage less autoattacking shall we?

in PvP

Posted by: kiwituatara.6053

kiwituatara.6053

Please keep the class balancing split between spvp, wvw, and pve. Thank you very much.

in PvP

Posted by: Arganthium.5638

Arganthium.5638

S/d thiefs. Barely any counterplay to it.

Stream damage (Ele scepter air auto, Mesmer GS auto), attacks with a 0 or small cast time, AoE fields, cripple, chill, immob, weakness, movement-impeding lines or circles, using LS or the auto to your advantage, evading halfway through FS, keep close quarters, a well-timed CC, and a general understanding of thief animations and aftercasts are all extremely beneficial against S/D.

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

in PvP

Posted by: redslion.9675

redslion.9675

Team Arena Meta Builds.

God Tier:
1. Healing Signet

S Tier:
1. Warrior (LB-H)
2. Engineer (Conditions/Power Nades/Bombs)

A Tier:
1. Ranger (Spirit)
2. Thieves (Power)
3. Necromancer (Conditions) < Warriors make there life hard.
4. Engineer (Power)
5. Guardian (Bunker)
6. Mesmer (Power)
7. Warrior (Bunker)

B Tier:
1. Thieves (Condition)
2. Necromancer (Power)
3. Guardian (Power)
4. Mesmer (Condition)
5. Ranger (Every Other Build)

C Tier:
1. Elementalist (Every Single Build)

Wait, you mean warriors are what is holding the signet back, and that one day it will rebel against its owners to become the lord of PvP?

Signetnet.

You will never be able to know what an engineer is going to do next…

because he doesn’t know it himself

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

I’m basing my list on the strategic value of various builds in team comps overall as well as their value compared to other builds that attempt to complete the same role they do. I’m also basing this off the average skill level of players.

S Tier:
1. Hambow warrior
3. Engi point assaulter
4. Engi point bunker
5. Spirit ranger

A Tier:

6. MM Necro
7. Condi Necro
8. PU Mesmer
9. Bunker Guard

B Tier:

10. Shatter Mesmer
12. DPS guard
13. Glass warriors
14. D/P thief
15. S/D thief

C Tier:
16. Rifle engis
17. Power rangers
18. Burst eles
21. Power necros

I’d say this is the best list so far.

in PvP

Posted by: redslion.9675

redslion.9675

S Tier:
1. Hambow warrior
3. Engi point assaulter
4. Engi point bunker
5. Spirit ranger

A Tier:

6. MM Necro
7. Condi Necro
8. PU Mesmer
9. Bunker Guard

B Tier:

10. Shatter Mesmer
12. DPS guard
13. Glass warriors
14. D/P thief
15. S/D thief

C Tier:
16. Rifle engis
17. Power rangers
18. Burst eles
21. Power necros

I’d say this is the best list so far.

Wait, how is that possible that PU mesmers are better than shatter ones? I’ve never seen a PU one in soloqueue due to their reliance on stealth.

You will never be able to know what an engineer is going to do next…

because he doesn’t know it himself

in PvP

Posted by: Leeto.1570

Leeto.1570

I dont get it how so many people can put condi necro in not top tier, and minionmancer above condimancer.
Maybe im just biased cause condimancer is my main but tbh i feel its most powerful prof/spec there is for overall dmg/support dmg.