Can we PLEASE get new game types !!!

in PvP

Posted by: Chromosome.7498

Chromosome.7498

Just to confirm, we are working on new maps. I can’t give too many details, but a few things:

1) We’re trying maps with no cap points.
2) We’re trying mechanics that focus on high risk/reward mechanics that can win to sudden wins/sudden losses.
3) We’re trying maps that focus on “big play” moments that permanently impact the map flow/map status.
4) I can’t give an ETA on when you’d see one live, because we’re trying different maps, and each of them takes time to prototype, etc.

I think that conquest is easy for new players to get into, and it’s allowed for some amazing high-level games so far! But we’d like to try some new things that get away from conquest.

Also, as many of us have said, we want to give players enough variety such that they can change what they play from time to time, while also being sure that we don’t fracture the player-base by spreading players out to too many different game types.

I know this isn’t a super exhaustive answer, but just wanted to give you guys a quick update.

Hi JohnathanShark.

Ty for answer. But do you have an approximate idea of when you will come out this new mode ?

in PvP

Posted by: stemare.2578

stemare.2578

TDM – Can’t work in this game as it is currently structured. Like Eura pointed out, 5 thieves + shadow refuge, then 3,2,1,SPIKE and no matter what you do there is an auto down followed by a high probability stomp and the TDM is over. The thief heavy team would just burst down opponents 1 by 1 and there would be no counter for it.

It definitely could work. Do you know heroes ascent from GW1? I really whish anet builds something like that, and if they put a conquest map as first, a 5 thieves team would be blown away by any other team (with a brain) and wouldn’t even get to the TDM map.

For a good long while the wall paper on my computer was a screenie I took while holding HoH, so yeah, I know HA.

Think about the cheese that HA had to endure over the years. IWAY, Blood Spike, Orb Spike, SWAY… too many others to waste the time cataloging them here. If they put in TDM an optimal thief heavy comp (probably 4 thieves and a bunker guard or 3 thieves a tanky DPS and a Guard) would emerge if the occurrence of the TDM was predictable (like the first match in HA was predictable).

I like the play of a TDM match too (in other games), but this combat system with teams of 5 would require secondary objectives to split the teams which makes it not really TDM anymore. There is just too much damage for a pure 5v5 TDM to work.

Aegis, blind, staying with your back on a wall, some side mechanics that reveal stealths etc. there could be many ways to counter a thief spike, no counting that clearly requires a PERFECT coordination to be effective, much more than GW1 spikes beacuse GW2 has dodges with no cast time.
People just have to learn how to counter, in the same way we learned to counter blood spike, contagionway, zerg or any other effective build.

Stemare ~ Guardian ~ lv80 ~ Far Shiverpeaks
Ci Assediamo Da Soli [SIGH] ~ Officier

(edited by stemare.2578)

in PvP

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

TBH, I think they should just take Foefire and turn it into a MOBA-esque map. I think the gate/keep/lord thing is fantastic and I’ve won games just harassing and “split pushing” and drawing people to defend. That and I despise the classic conquest cap point objectives.

The thing I really like about a “siege” style map is that it opens up more strategies and build options I think.

Using the Ascalon Fractal map for some kind of progressive attack/defend siege map would be pretty interesting too.

in PvP

Posted by: Gandarel.5091

Gandarel.5091

Just to confirm, we are working on new maps. I can’t give too many details, but a few things:

2) We’re trying mechanics that focus on high risk/reward mechanics that can win to sudden wins/sudden losses.
3) We’re trying maps that focus on “big play” moments that permanently impact the map flow/map status.
4) I can’t give an ETA on when you’d see one live, because we’re trying different maps, and each of them takes time to prototype, etc.

I think that conquest is easy for new players to get into, and it’s allowed for some amazing high-level games so far! But we’d like to try some new things that get away from conquest.

Also, as many of us have said, we want to give players enough variety such that they can change what they play from time to time, while also being sure that we don’t fracture the player-base by spreading players out to too many different game types.

I know this isn’t a super exhaustive answer, but just wanted to give you guys a quick update.

I like this Chap guy :P

Btw, how about a Heroes’ Ascent from GW1? So you could give many different maps and gamemodes with only 1 que.

Captain Deutschland, Ozzy The Insane, Hanz Limbchewer – r40+ mes/nec/engi Desolation
Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in PvP

Posted by: Torras.8406

Torras.8406

Sorry for my poor English.

I am disappointed about this comment.
Because it sounds like Skyhammer again for me. I don’t want Anet to use efforts to create a map that many players hate.

As other active threads indicate, apparently majority of people are interested in Death Match and GvG. These topic threads are often heated up.
I know Anet needs to do business, resources and costs are not unlimited, so I suggest realistic solution. (Until Anet releases real new maps for DM and GvG.)

I think Legacy of the Foefire is a good template and capable for both DM and GvG in all existing maps.

For Death Match,

• Update custom arena settings.
    • Make “unlimited” option for “Score Limit
    • Make “unlimited” option for “Respawn Time
  • Give us a map of only center capture area in Legacy of the Foefire and being wall surrounding not letting people to escape

For GvG,

• Update custom arena settings.
    • Increase max of “Team Size” from 10 to 20
    • Increase max of “Starting Players” from 10 to 20
    • Make unlimited option for “Score Limit
    • Make unlimited option for “Respawn Time

And… another topic though, Anet need to hire a math expert if there is no one in Anet.
I believe there are a lot of playing field to a math expert.
For example, making solid leaderboard formula, match making system, damage balance between professions, damage/reduction curve and so on.

PS. I believe GW2 potential.

in PvP

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

Look at sports like football, soccer, handball & hockey. If keg brawl was one present at a time with different maps & prof skills for the non-runners it probably rival conquest.

The great forum duppy.

in PvP

Posted by: stemare.2578

stemare.2578

Look at sports like football, soccer, handball & hockey. If keg brawl was one present at a time with different maps & prof skills for the non-runners it probably rival conquest.

Ohh how I would love keg brawl with organized teams

Stemare ~ Guardian ~ lv80 ~ Far Shiverpeaks
Ci Assediamo Da Soli [SIGH] ~ Officier

in PvP

Posted by: Surreal.5243

Surreal.5243

Imho some sort of Capture The Flag would fit this game the most. Like mentioned before it’s allmost impossible to have TDM in GW2 since there’s way to much damage and it would make most classes somehow unviable. (It would basically lead to “stealth and spike” scenarios or some bullkitten like that)

On the other hand Capture The Flag would force build variety since u will need either a bunker or a high mobility class(flagcarrier), heavy cc and/or support classes (flagcarrier support) as well as glasscanons (to kill enemy flagcarrier).

Read it Backwards [BooN]

in PvP

Posted by: Gandarel.5091

Gandarel.5091

Imho some sort of Capture The Flag would fit this game the most. Like mentioned before it’s allmost impossible to have TDM in GW2 since there’s way to much damage and it would make most classes somehow unviable. (It would basically lead to “stealth and spike” scenarios or some bullkitten like that)

On the other hand Capture The Flag would force build variety since u will need either a bunker or a high mobility class(flagcarrier), heavy cc and/or support classes (flagcarrier support) as well as glasscanons (to kill enemy flagcarrier).

So the same as conquest? With the exception that everyone goes for 1 guy 24/7 whi is probably slowed down and his skills are limited othwerwise he drop the flag. Also there is no sneaking around. It would be a deathmatch, who wins the deathmatch at mid goes for flag, scores it and then it repeats.

Captain Deutschland, Ozzy The Insane, Hanz Limbchewer – r40+ mes/nec/engi Desolation
Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in PvP

Posted by: Locuz.2651

Locuz.2651

Sounds like you want conquest! Control of the map is gained by defeating enemy players, splits are encouraged, secondary objectives stay in the background (on most maps), balanced comps are encouraged (1 support/tank + varying types of dps/burst/mobility/utility builds), kiting is easy but doesn’t contribute to map control.

I’m being completely serious. People don’t realize how much conquest pushes the opposing teams at each other and forces combat, while still allowing team splits and role variety. I’m glad that the devs are working on new game modes, but it is not so easy to come up with something better as we seem to think.

A] It doesnt sound like conquest at all. Conquest is about controlling certain areas while a deathmatch type of gamemode would be about protecting your team and pushing for the opposing team (or specfic members) when its vulnerable.

It requires a totally different state of mind.

B] While “splits are encouraged” the intial skirmish usually ends up being a 4v4 or even 5v5 in some cases. In bigger fights like that, there is less room for clutch plays of your own….and its a lot harder to follow as a viewer. My advice is to create mechanics or a layout where youll see a lot of smaller scale skirmishes like 2v2 or 3v3 max.

C] The secondary objectives on the current maps are far too important for the outcome of the game. Look at the impact of the canon on the skyhammer map for example or the boss on foefire.

D] The current layouts have too many chokepoints. Its to easy to throw down a necro mark or two across a certain chokepoint and prefent a group of people to acces an area for a set period of time.

Compare that to other MMOs mobas or FPS games and youll see that most enjoyable and succesful layouts arent filled with chokepoints like that. We need some room to let our core gameplay do the work instead of letting the environment (or gimicky secondary objectives!) do the work for us. That doesnt mean we dont need chokepoints at all….just not as many as in spiritwatch for example.

E] Thats why i brought up the idea to organize a competition. Im quite certain it isnt that hard to create a new gamemode. And with some incentive we could see some great and most of all implementable ideas coming from the community.

in PvP

Posted by: hooma.9642

hooma.9642

On the topic of “new players easily getting into conquest”: you don’t teach new players conquest. You funnel them to hotjoin which is a conquest map that actually rewards them to NOT play conquest. They then struggle to get into matches with friends, etc and many of them quit.

I am blown away by this. This is such a foundation element that has been missing FOR OVER A YEAR. Such a simple fix with high impact. (impact is diminishing day by day because new players are fewer and fewer).

I’m not sure if you guys discuss “low hanging fruit” in your office, but this would be a great example of this.

Edit: I went hunting (wow that was depressing btw) by searching through my past posts and found https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Big-Changes-before-Christmas/first#post912162 which was in December of 2012. I was begging for changes to hotjoin so that the players that get the game for Christmas would be encouraged to stay….

yeah 1 hour in soloq and he would see conquest is not easy for new players.

in PvP

Locuz.2651

You mean big plays like pulling or launching people off the platform on skyhammer? Or gaining control over the skyhammer canon and killing three people with one canon blast? Plays like that?

Do we want that?

in PvP

Posted by: hooma.9642

hooma.9642

You mean big plays like pulling or launching people off the platform on skyhammer? Or gaining control over the skyhammer canon and killing three people with one canon blast? Plays like that?

Do we want that?

can u please quote the right ppl?

in PvP

Posted by: daydream.2938

daydream.2938

I love deathmatch, but I really do wonder if this game can handle Death match. Its just a bit weird to do it with this games mechanics.

in PvP

Posted by: Torras.8406

Torras.8406

I think somehow Death Match works in this game.
Because imagine the fight at the central area in Legacy of the Foefire.
do thieves team always win against bunker team in there?
(We still have rally, and the situation if small teams such as 2v2 or 3v3)
I think no. Still bunker guardian or something rolls an active part.

(edited by Torras.8406)

in PvP

Posted by: Yasha.5963

Yasha.5963

I hope the new “maps” are actual new and different game modes and go beyond a simple deathmatch or variations on conquest.

I would like to see a siege type map (think small spvp version of wvw) and a map with MOBA mechanics such as victory being determined by physical progress/objectives within the game, not points.

Surprisingly for me the most interesting spvp “map” I have seen recently is the siege in Tera. However, Jon’s post doesn’t make me confident we will be seeing anything particularly fresh. Crossing my fingers for a pleasant surprise.

in PvP

Posted by: TheZeus.8617

TheZeus.8617

why does everyone kiss the devs butts? Seriously they have said things time and time again only to have the response. WE do not want to rush it and SOON! well SOON i will be playing a New MMORPG that has better pvp if you don’t hurry up. I played this game since beta 1. I just NOW am at the point where i dont even want to log on to do my daily. The point capture system is old and tiresome. I really REALLY wish Anet the best but it doesn’t look like it will be going anywhere in the next 3-6 months. If it does I may come back atm I’m tired Colin of empty promises. You all should not even have done PAX till the game was in a good spot. But you did it anyways.

Athena War Goddess
[TWIN] Anvil Rock

in PvP

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

why does everyone kiss the devs butts? Seriously they have said things time and time again only to have the response. WE do not want to rush it and SOON! well SOON i will be playing a New MMORPG that has better pvp if you don’t hurry up. I played this game since beta 1. I just NOW am at the point where i dont even want to log on to do my daily. The point capture system is old and tiresome. I really REALLY wish Anet the best but it doesn’t look like it will be going anywhere in the next 3-6 months. If it does I may come back atm I’m tired Colin of empty promises. You all should not even have done PAX till the game was in a good spot. But you did it anyways.

What new MMO are you going to be playing in that time? there is no indication that any new mmorpg will be out before any of the promised changes in the game.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

in PvP

Posted by: TheZeus.8617

TheZeus.8617

If i say it then the post gets deleted. Anet doesn’t like us posting about other games on there forums. but 3-6 months from now there will be new MMOS released.

Athena War Goddess
[TWIN] Anvil Rock

in PvP

Posted by: Killthehealersffs.8940

Killthehealersffs.8940

If i say it then the post gets deleted. Anet doesn’t like us posting about other games on there forums. but 3-6 months from now there will be new MMOS released.

Dont you feel kinda excited , what mode/map all game will create till then ? :P
Each map/mode will represent the creativity of their creator and what their game engine can accomplice :P
Lets see what company is worthy to follow to :P

in PvP

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

bTW I was being sarcastic no MMORPG is coming in the next 3-6 months. All of them have been given a tentative early next year which is a PR term for next spring and spring isn’t march but april (since march 31 is the end of the fiscal year). And so far non of the future MMO even look promising, IF you have actually experience them and I have experience at least 1 for the 2 AAA mmo coming out next year.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

in PvP

Posted by: Asche.5362

Asche.5362

Like jmatb pointed out in this thread, we have a few balancing problems (duh), making some builds and classes more rewarding than others. Like it or not, it will probably stay that way. No matter how many patches will balance this, there will always be some classes coming out on top, while others vanish from the meta for a while. That can not be helped, there is no perfect balance.

There is a way to work around this though.
Before GW2, Team Fortress 2 was my game of choice. Competitive matches had a similar problem there. In a 6v6 Fight the meta was: Two Soldiers, 2 Scouts, a Medic and a Demo. Which means only 4 out of 9 classes got regular use. That is until Higlander-Mode became a thing.
What is Higlander-Mode? Teams now had to consist of one player of each class, bringing a lot more variety to the matches.

Could this be a possibility for GW2 as well? Instead of 5-man teams, you’d have 8 players on each side. And while (as of now) you’d still have very strong Rangers, Necros and Stun-Warris, each team would have to find a way to implement less popular classes into their teamplay. Not only would this make team fights more exciting for the simple variety, but you’d likely see new builds popping up too.

The downside is that it would maybe not work on the current maps. We might need slightly larger battlefields with more objectives.

Tl;dr: Add a new gamemode with teams consisting of 8 players, 1 of each class.

Thoughts?

in PvP

Posted by: Yasha.5963

Yasha.5963

Like jmatb pointed out in this thread, we have a few balancing problems (duh), making some builds and classes more rewarding than others. Like it or not, it will probably stay that way. No matter how many patches will balance this, there will always be some classes coming out on top, while others vanish from the meta for a while. That can not be helped, there is no perfect balance.

There is a way to work around this though.
Before GW2, Team Fortress 2 was my game of choice. Competitive matches had a similar problem there. In a 6v6 Fight the meta was: Two Soldiers, 2 Scouts, a Medic and a Demo. Which means only 4 out of 9 classes got regular use. That is until Higlander-Mode became a thing.
What is Higlander-Mode? Teams now had to consist of one player of each class, bringing a lot more variety to the matches.

Could this be a possibility for GW2 as well? Instead of 5-man teams, you’d have 8 players on each side. And while (as of now) you’d still have very strong Rangers, Necros and Stun-Warris, each team would have to find a way to implement less popular classes into their teamplay. Not only would this make team fights more exciting for the simple variety, but you’d likely see new builds popping up too.

The downside is that it would maybe not work on the current maps. We might need slightly larger battlefields with more objectives.

Tl;dr: Add a new gamemode with teams consisting of 8 players, 1 of each class.

Thoughts?

Feel sorry for the people that get to play the kitten classes?

in PvP

Locuz.2651

Thoughts?

I dont think this game is suited for 8v8 in “small scale pvp”. I think 5v5 is even pushing it on certain maps.

The game would become too zergy with little to no room for individual clutch plays and it would be even harder to watch than it is now.

Look at how fast a single warrior, mesmer or thief can blow people up single handedly. The bigger the group, the more moments people will have where they get blown up before they are able to react. Before they can counter or use defensives.

Keep the zerg in wvw, or create a seperate GvG mode.

in PvP

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

If we had 5 point conquest maps that were a bit bigger, 8v8 wouldn’t be too bad, and high-lander mode would be pretty interesting IMO.

Think of it like there being 5 roles in LoL, but instead it’s just for each class.

in PvP

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

GW1 Tactics:

AB ~ “we have two mesmers and elementalists rotating clockwise, we need to stop them at point-X. So what team has X-counter build? we need 2 of those and a healer, warrior as backup. the restcircle for west and we need someone to break the gates while taking out the npc’s.”

Gw2 Conquest: Everyone swarm mid and don’t die while one person backcaps or camps a point.

Guildwars JQ ~“Healer at yellow shrine we need a bomber to the npc’s and ranged to take him out. Protect the carrier! ^^ recap the ranger shrines! make sure those turtles don’t get inside! Gogogogog only one more!!! aaaaah! nuker on the carrier, get him off, get him off!” etc..

Gw2 Conquest: Cap point A! go for the lord at 335 points.. zerg the point.. watchout for…ehrm…other players?
“press T”

Guildwars FA ~ “Ok even teams on the siegeturtles, do we have someone who can keep their portals covered? can someone protect turtle A? what is the status on the gates? we need a mesmer to take out their monks! respawn and everynone go purple gate! kill their carrier! don’t let them fix their gate! regroup and kill the npc’s first!
bomber approaching !! watch out!! nuke him! MM make sure their mm doesn’t have corpses to claim! Everyone on Gunther!!” ^^ etc etc…

These kind of call’s you don’t see in GW2 pvp at the moment because there is nothing to promote players to give these calls. formost the game is so quick typing is out of the question (this is a good thing though) second there are no real objectives to overcome of play against**
The game lacks a focal point for people to work towards** and the ingame reward of doing so.

NB: A Zkey, an unoficcial accepted currency, was something special yet not unobtainable for pve GW2 lacks the currency counter for pvp players)

So GW2 lacks a focal point in conquest, though the added buffs granted for commune and creature kill are ok-ish.. it doesn’t grant any satisfaction once obtained.. just more ticks.. As the incentives in guildwars were much more clear and exciting.

AB ~ map progression on a win and maybe a shot at opponents Keep if you had a reasonable advantage, but the going for the Keep was a risky endeavour that could easily trow the game.

JQ: Escorting Carriers while the opponent tries to slow/stop them and vice versa.
this also inculded defending and capping points with guards on them dealing all sorts of conditions for the player to overcome. or take advantage off.

FA aka Awesomeness aka the father of moba games and WvW imo : A race against the clock where the attacking team must kill a well defended lord whilst guiding reinforcements to break down gates and kill defending npc’s. making sure the defending players don’t repair the gates trough portals and capture points.

I just wish the pvp team would go back to guildwars for a moment and play those modes for inspiration. (true inspiration)

**=except the score

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

in PvP

Posted by: Asche.5362

Asche.5362

Feel sorry for the people that get to play the kitten classes?

I feel sorry for the state of the forums if this is the most creative input you can come up with.

I dont think this game is suited for 8v8 in “small scale pvp”. I think 5v5 is even pushing it on certain maps.

I share your sentiment. I adressed it by suggesting bigger maps with more objectives. As far as watching or casting goes: I leave that to the pros to solve. My concern is coming up with an idea on how to make it fun to play, not watch.

However I believe it’s possible to create maps around this problem as well. Interesting fights are more likely to happen on chokepoints, capture points etc. The map design itself can be used to provoke players into coming up with a variety of builds. For example putting all cap points close to another encourages players to come up with a team that does very well in huge team fights (which I’d like to avoid).

If you put a few points far away, on the brink of the map you’d encourage a totally different play-stile, favoring mobility. Those points would be so far off that it doesn’t pay off to have a bunker sitting on it permanently, you’ll want that guy on mid. However a very mobile class like a mesmer/thief/ele could flip these points easily without opposition. You could even fiddle around with the rewards these points yield, making them more or less of a priority. Mapdesign has many opportunities to change the meta by bringing in a few changes. And by doing so you keep the Zergs out of sPVP, because your team has lots of ground to cover.
Zergs will only happen if it proves to win matches. If the mapdesing punishes Zergs, you won’t find people playing in that fashion.

Overall there would be certainly less 1on1 situations happening in favor of 2v2 or 3v3 fights, wich can be interesting because it requires coordination and team-effort. I suspect one would end up with smaller groups of 2-3 people supporting each other. However you’d still need mobile classes for those hard to reach areas of interest. And should two of those cross each others path, which is likely, you’d have your 1v1 situations.

And since ANet has been experimenting with map design in the past, I don’t believe that this whole idea of using mapdesing to encourage a fun playstile is totally foreign to them. Take Skyhammer for example. It certainly has it’s flaws, but adding the high ground over the mid point is a great addition, which forces bunkers to get more active when harassed from above.

in PvP

Posted by: Scarlett.1549

Scarlett.1549

Thanks for the reply Jonathon, but how long do we have to wait for said treasure’s.. I don’t wanna be strung along.. I feel as if I’ve been strung along since the beginning waiting for content to come along that didn’t. Each patch has been a consistent downer for my friends and I, thinking that something different is coming along.

But 1, they’ve all but quit now =’(

I need some meat to show, to get them to come back. This game’s PvP is the greatest out there, honestly, but it doesn’t get enough resources.

in PvP

Posted by: Chromosome.7498

Chromosome.7498

Thanks for the reply Jonathon, but how long do we have to wait for said treasure’s.. I don’t wanna be strung along.. I feel as if I’ve been strung along since the beginning waiting for content to come along that didn’t. Each patch has been a consistent downer for my friends and I, thinking that something different is coming along.

But 1, they’ve all but quit now =’(

I need some meat to show, to get them to come back. This game’s PvP is the greatest out there, honestly, but it doesn’t get enough resources.

+1

in PvP

Posted by: Phadde.7362

Phadde.7362

I want a tower in the middle of the next map please. 50% fall damage might be a useful trait.

You know what just throw in the mad kings clock tower into the center of Foefire please, thanks. Cap point at the top

Brilliant!

Vote for/against <dueling>: http://strawpoll.me/1650018/
Cred to Latinkuro
Gw2 is a masterpiece at it’s foundation. Content-wise however…

in PvP

Posted by: Ninda.2361

Ninda.2361

Up, give us informations we all want it

in PvP

Posted by: Jinx.7258

Jinx.7258

Aint a pvp game if it doesnt have simple things like 1v1,2v2 or 3v3…. and we can talk about real group/team play in 5v5/6v6 matches. Simple as that pvP is about fightin other player(s). Not a single real pvper bloody cares about fighting over nodes,forest creatures,trebs,orbs or lassers…

Even the hundreds PvE MMOs out there have simple pvp mechanic of players fightin each other (2 groups fighting each other) and the outcoming score is given by the last player’s death. How hard is it to implement flat ground map with few obstacles to kite around?… I actually wanna see players regrouping to buff or heal up,using veil, quickness skills to burst those downed players,actual focus of skills,banners to ress players etc etc… very similar gameplay mechanics as the wvw players use… I wanna see tournaments based on how many times a group/single player has killed the enemy(s) and gain certain amout of points like that… Obtaining points by capping nodes is in the best case scenario… idiotic.

#VoTF4Life

in PvP

Phadde.7362

~

Gotta say, I’m hyped up about the sheer possibility that we might get to enjoy 2v2 or 3v3 Arena PvP in the future.

Can we PLEASE get new game types!!!?

Pretty PLEASE?! =)

Cred to Latinkuro

in PvP

Posted by: ZenoSpyridon.1396

ZenoSpyridon.1396

Honestly, this is such a very, VERY harmful train of thought!!!!

If you have more modes, you will bring MORE PLAYERS in, and that won’t be an issue.

Also, so many other games have many game modes and it don’t hurt the game at all! Look at (every FPS in existence). Or for a more similar game, look at Smite. Smite has 9! Game modes. And no problems getting queues in any of them! It’s free, have someone from the team check out how the queues work there… or check LoL’s modes (they have quite a few now too)…

People will play the most fun ones, yes, but lets think about it for a second… Lets say the player base splits between the no-control points mode, and Conquest. If conquest ever gets to a point where there’s not enough players, that’s because the mode just plain and simply IS NOT FUN!!!

People will cycle to the modes which are most fun, which are the ones you should SUPPORT, rather than forcing people to play a single mode type.

I’ve said it a million times, GO BACK TO YOUR SUCCESSFUL BLUEPRINT FROM GW1. PvP players were very happy with the mode variety in GW1. I’ve thought about it so much and there’s no good reason that you guys wouldn’t follow a successful template… and now that Conquest has been failing for all this time, why not go with what you know works?

Keep in mind theres a HUGE PvP player base from GW1 WISHING that you will do this, and will come back if you actually give us the modes GW1 was known for!

Sure, balance will need fixing (already does) but that’s normal, it’s more important to give us some modes that are actually fun. Conquest, in many players opinion, is the opposite of fun. It’s often more about AVOIDING players than KILLING players, which is so lame…

I hope you guys wake up and realize this is a GUILD WARS game….. Make it like Guild Wars… PLEASE

in PvP

Posted by: Oulov.7913

Oulov.7913

Completely agree with Zeno. I just can’t comprehend why you guys turned away from all those modes we were given in GW1.
1. HA (though I didn’t quite like it) was very popular.
2. JQ – sooo many people enjoyed it just as I did
3. FA – the greatest of them all, soo much to do and so fun. Never got bored with it.
4. GvG – the ESSENCE of this game, it’s roots. Great fun for smaller groups.
5. RA – not as fun as those above but at least one of the possibilities
6. AB- least enjoyable and, ironically, the only one that you actually promote in GW2. However, the AB (conquest type, for those who didn’t play gw1) in Gw1 at least gave me Faction Points I could spent on some rewards + I helped my faction broaden the boarder.

You are slowly doing a pointless seppuku by focusing on and forcing others to play ONE BORING spvp mode over and over again. Please wake up and don’t be afraid of coming back to old but succesfull ideas.

If you realy want to give us a variety then don’t be afraid to do so. Otherwise you WILL fracture the player-base but on the more general, video-game level (they will choose other games to go for a better pvp) rather than withing your own game.

(edited by Oulov.7913)

in PvP

Phadde.7362

If you have more modes, you will bring MORE PLAYERS in, and that won’t be an issue.

Nailed it!

More game modes will bring a ton of players to sPvP.

This reminds me… While waiting for you to add another game mode, I searched on various forums for other MMOs with good PvP. Didn’t really find much, but whenever GW2 was brought up, a surprising amount of people said something along the lines of “only one game mode…. too shallow”

Cred to Latinkuro

in PvP

Posted by: Ashanor.5319

Ashanor.5319

Nailed it!

More game modes will bring a ton of players to sPvP.

This reminds me… While waiting for you to add another game mode, I searched on various forums for other MMOs with good PvP. Didn’t really find much, but whenever GW2 was brought up, a surprising amount of people said something along the lines of “only one game mode…. too shallow”

It’s one of the reasons I keep quitting this game. Conquest gets old fast when it is the only game mode available. New maps doesn’t make it any better, it is still the same game mode. I really want to see capture the flag and maybe something similar to voidstar (from TOR).

in PvP

Posted by: Scarlett.1549

Scarlett.1549

I’m so glad we’re not the only ones to feel this way. I also keep quitting and coming back hoping something has changed, I stick around for a few weeks and get bored. Leave, come back in a few months and do it all over again. As someone said earlier in the thread, the PvP is too shallow. It really is, 1 game type? Come on…

It’s been a year, please give us more… I hate leaving, coming back, leaving, coming back… it cuts into my soul doing this only because of stale PvP. I was hooked at the start of this game because of the whole PvP centred advertising and such, but it’s not delivering…

Jonathon Sharp must think, these guys just don’t get it. We say we’re doing this and trying that, but what he doesn’t seem to understand is what is fun. Fun is more game types, fun is more players coming because of these game types. Fun is casually face rolling your keyboard against other face rollers. Cater to the professionals after your casuals are numerous and interested, it’s better for the game imo. The illusions of grandeur because of E-Sports isn’t working. There is no base of viewers because there are dwindling casuals!

2v2 3v3, deathmatch, these are fun. Don’t include them in your E-Sports plan, keep your crummy node defending for it if you’d like, but please let us have some fun with new game types.. !!

/end rant.. pheew..

in PvP

Posted by: The Primary.6371

The Primary.6371

Majority of this reply was already said last month, can we at least have something not almost entirely copy/pasted.

in PvP

Phadde.7362

I’m so glad we’re not the only ones to feel this way. I also keep quitting and coming back hoping something has changed, I stick around for a few weeks and get bored. Leave, come back in a few months and do it all over again. As someone said earlier in the thread, the PvP is too shallow. It really is, 1 game type? Come on…

It’s been a year, please give us more… I hate leaving, coming back, leaving, coming back… it cuts into my soul doing this only because of stale PvP. I was hooked at the start of this game because of the whole PvP centred advertising and such, but it’s not delivering…

Jonathon Sharp must think, these guys just don’t get it. We say we’re doing this and trying that, but what he doesn’t seem to understand is what is fun. Fun is more game types, fun is more players coming because of these game types. Fun is casually face rolling your keyboard against other face rollers. Cater to the professionals after your casuals are numerous and interested, it’s better for the game imo. The illusions of grandeur because of E-Sports isn’t working. There is no base of viewers because there are dwindling casuals!

2v2 3v3, deathmatch, these are fun. Don’t include them in your E-Sports plan, keep your crummy node defending for it if you’d like, but please let us have some fun with new game types.. !!

/end rant.. pheew..

This pretty much sums up my opinion.

Cred to Latinkuro

in PvP

Posted by: Jomo kenyatta.7351

Jomo kenyatta.7351

great post man and omg weve been hearing were working on guild halls and gvg for over a year now please come on, me and a lot of my friends are this close to quitting especially after this new patch. NEW GAME MODES WILL GET PEOPLE BACK

in PvP

Posted by: Amstel Steel.2058

Amstel Steel.2058

Imo conquest is about being able to 1v1 well and have effective communication as well as basic teamplay which are not good for new players. Eventually, new players should be able to grasp conquest, but then they are no longer new.

Also unstructured objectives like basic fight or flight making use of environments and falling damage traits over structured objectives like 1 close 1 animal 1 far rest mid.

in PvP

Posted by: Okamikazi.8652

Okamikazi.8652

After playing Solo Arena and Snowball Mayhem for many days I gotta say that I have WAY more fun in Snowball Mayhem than on any map in Solo.

Maps in Solo have too many choices regarding strategy. Which objective should i cap? should i cap with the team or go ninja? The lord is under attack! do i respond or do i stay? With so many choices most of the time teams are getting split up way too thin and after winning or losing I just don’t get the thrill of teamwork.

Snowball Mayhem fosters a lot more teamwork in a solo roster. When I see my fellow team mates using their skills to strategically protect the gift carrier I truly feel part of a team. The simplicity of the map having no cap points is what enables such teamwork. It is a great achievement to get a bunch of strangers to play like that. I hope that Anet prioritizes maps like Snowball Mayhem to be put into the Solo Arena.

in PvP

Posted by: Cush.4063

Cush.4063

I agree that new game modes would bring am even larger PvP player base. CTF would be awesome. Or at least a game where there is no cap points.

in PvP

Posted by: Boomstin.3460

Boomstin.3460

I don’t know if Jon works at anet anymore but i just wanted to say this is a very backwards way of thinking. There’s literally tons of people just waiting in for new game modes. Or atleast there used to be.
Whatever those game modes would be 2vs2 ,3vs3 , dueling , deathmatch. People love to play these in every game and i bet new game modes would give a huge boost to pvp population.

All is vain.

in PvP

Posted by: Eviscera.9703

Eviscera.9703

We need arena deathmatch in this game… and we need it badly. 1vs1, 2vs2, 3vs3. A duel system outside sPvP would be awesome.

in PvP

Posted by: Soul.5947

Soul.5947

I am sick of this kittening game mode. For Gods sake release a kitten new map already. I mean let’s be serious, the wvw team managed to revamp the map 3 times so far i think and i won’t even mention the pve team. WTF is the pvp team doing? Since launch we had 2 new maps. It has been more then 1 year. If it takes you 1 year to come up with a new map or game mode i am very impressed what the other teams are doing for the game. All spvp has been doing so far is trying to balance the kitteng classes and every time it breakes them even more. What does the pvp team have to show after 1 year of development in gw2 ? The wvw team made an entire kitteng overflow map which is awesome to. Treat this as a rant but there are many upsetting truths i have said here.

in PvP

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

A new game mode not based on conquest would eliminate the presence of any bunker specs, and all you’d be left with is warriors, mesmers, and thieves.

in PvP

Posted by: Morinmeth.9823

Morinmeth.9823

Just check how much we want those changes to happen, especially the Arena, kill-everyone-on-sight map! This is freaking awesome! I’ve said it again, and I will repeat it, when Arena is released, me and many others will be pulling all-nighters out of excitement!

And as people said before, the sooner this change goes live, the better. I can’t imagine why anyone would not want to play guild wars 2 after this, it has such a good combat system that doesn’t shine in any pvp game mode so far.

in PvP

Posted by: MIrra.3604

MIrra.3604

This 1 game type in PvP is not only getting old, it is HURTING the community. It hurts because it promotes 1 style of play… BUNKERING. It has been such a long time since game release and still there is only one type of game mode.

Please explain to me where the fun is coming up against a team full of bunkers. You either need to have just as many bunkers or need to co ordinate on a level which is impossible in single queue hot join.

Why are we deprived of the game types all the other PvP games have? Where is Death Match, Capture the Flag, Golden Gun, 2v2 3v3 4v4..

I’m not saying to ditch the node defending game type, keep it. If people like that, then let them all bunker together. But can the rest of us, who like to have something different, have other options.. please? Going from one game to another, just because of the lack of game types.. is getting old. Eventually, I won’t come back.

Why are we subjected to this Bunker or go home style of game play mentality ?

I don’t play Spvp very much but in my opinion, adding additional game mode such as 3v3 death match will ruin what little balance this game has left.

EVERYTHING in this game is balanced for 5v5 capture. You have SA thieves, PU/Phantasm Mesmer, etc being held back due to the current game mode. They will then have to balance these builds around 3v3 death match and 5v5 capture. It will be a nightmare for them.